Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 21:07   #7666
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I got 3G activated on my vodafone account, last sunday and it involved no change in SIM.

Infact a colleague was asking if a new SIM was needed for 3G, and mentioned about memory etc. I have no clue of what that is, especially given that I am using a 5+ year old SIM.
I have subscribed for 1GB GPRS from vodafone (monthly 98 Rs pack for Rs. 10 only). Suddenly one day I got 3G data connection and the speed was 4mbps. after two days it returned to normal data connection where the speed for 20kbps. Looks like it was like a promotional offer to test the speeds.
Old 6th February 2012, 22:24   #7667
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Anvancy/joshguy - Galaxy R. Zimbly brilliant.
Thank you ,btw do you own galaxy r? does it have the same hardware as the s2?

heart says s2, mind says galaxy R !!!
Old 6th February 2012, 23:04   #7668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Thank you ,btw do you own galaxy r? does it have the same hardware as the s2?

heart says s2, mind says galaxy R !!!
I have 36days old Galaxy R and I am very much satisfied with it. It have more VFM that S2. Here are the differences of S2 and R:

S2 is 1.2Ghz Dual core with Exynos chipset & SG R has Nvedia's Tegra2 chipset both are 1GB RAM. Samsung's Exynos chipset is better than Tegra chipset, though Tegra chipset is good for gaming.
S2 has 4.3 inch AMOLED screen plus screen which is vibrant in colours and very less in battery consumption, good to see in direct sunlight. SG R has 4.2 inch super LCD display which is equally bright to view.
S2 has touch Gorilla Glass and scratch proof. SG R has only normal scrach resistant glass.
S2 has 16GB internal memory and SG R has 8GB memory.
S2 comes with 8MP cam, 1080p HD video rec and SG R with 5MP cam, 720p HD video rec.
S2 is somewhere 110or 115gms and is 8.49mm thickness while SG R is 135gms with 9.5mm thick.
S2 looks very cheap with full plastic body, SG R also has full plastic, but has brushed metal finish which looks like upmarket mobile.
S2 is somewhere 28.5K to 29K but SG R is 21K.

Verdict: Both phones looks same from front, SGR back is more upmarket feel, compared to few missing items in SGR, it still seems more value for money. Though S2 has more battery saver with AMOLED display and 1750MH battery, SGR with 1650MH battery is bit less on stamina. I suggest you to go for SG R. If you do not shy spending 8K more, then S2 is for you.

But hey, wait the rumors are S3 will be released during world mobile congress 2012 in Barcelona this month end. It is quad core 1.5GHz with 2GB ram 8MP cam 2MP front cam, ICS update and just 7mm thickness! It is worth waiting for this.
HighOctane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 23:04   #7669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Use vodafone mobile connect. Thats all i can say. dont know the difference though, dont remember it any more, ever since I moved to vodafone 3g
Using that only now. Speeds are pathetic but for Whatsapp it is ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Congrats ! You have choosen arguably world's best smartphone. Suggestions to your queries:
Thanks for the suggestions! I am not putting the screen guard for now. Also no rooting for me now. Let me enjoy Android in its untouched state!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Go to home screen
Thanks mate! Now all I need to do is get photos of all my important contacts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Thank you ,btw do you own galaxy r?
I was in the same situation. My head was saying Galaxy R as it offers features which closely rival that of S2 - keeping in mind that one is not fussy about AMOLED display and better camera. I was thinking to buy Android as I thought it would be my first go at a new OS so I should start with R. Keeping in mind my usage, R would have sufficed my needs. But after searching a lot for R and not getting a good price for it I decided to go for SGS2. Am I enjoying my phone? - Hell yeah! Every penny spent seems worth it. If budget is very very important then go for R else stop thinking so much and just get a SGS2 (Life is too short to think about a few thousands!). BTW after lots of searching I was getting Galaxy R for Rs 23k at Vijay Sales Santacruz (for those in Mumbai). Note that this was 4 days ago, so the stock might be sold out. Also try Vijay Sales ghatkopar. You might get lucky!

Last edited by Saanil : 6th February 2012 at 23:09.
Old 6th February 2012, 23:12   #7670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Let me enjoy Android in its untouched state!

No you are not.
its is addictive, trying roms.
Its painful, waiting to get to a charger cos the rom you want to flash has finished downloading, but battery is low.
Oh, nostalgia, for stock rom days....
Old 6th February 2012, 23:22   #7671
Senior - BHPian

Installed the Samsung's leaked ICS firmware on my s2 i9100 last week..

4.0.3 (i9100XXLP6)

Pros:
Looks and feels good. Much more refined/polished as compared to Gingerbread.
Face Recognition Works (But is useless)
The settings menu is much better arranged.

Cons

All icons etc are same as gingerbread! I hope samsung updates them.
The phone is a bit slower as compared to before... but that just might be the beta version issues.
Old 6th February 2012, 23:28   #7672
BHPian

Galaxy R is a fantastic phone.only major notice able difference in real world between this and sgs2 is the camera and 8GB extra internal disk space.is LCD is a good as amoled screen so that won't be missed much. Go for it if can find one and save about 30% of your money.I am using it for more then a month now and loving it more n more every day.camera is also not bad.its very good in sunlight but in low light conditions you need to play with the settings to get good results but sgs2 cameras night results are better.

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th February 2012 at 12:08. Reason: improper quote tag
Old 7th February 2012, 01:25   #7673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Thanks Bhp. I hear from my friends that low internal memory is a concerns since some of the applications can only be installed on the internal memory. That is the only thing that is stopping me from buying it.
daya kar de bhai.

Call me anytime on defy. Its got 2GB internal memory. Despite the android app store sale, i couldn't max out its internal memory beyond 800mb till date.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 02:53   #7674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
But hey, wait the rumors are S3 will be released during world mobile congress 2012 in Barcelona this month end. It is quad core 1.5GHz with 2GB ram 8MP cam 2MP front cam, ICS update and just 7mm thickness! It is worth waiting for this.
Samsung has confirmed that the S3 won't be unveiled at the MWC this year. They might launch it at a separate event sometime later ( a little like the Iphone events by Apple ). Seems like the S3 is not yet ready to be launched and it might take some time. Samsung will most probably launch the Galaxy S2 Advance which is a small improvement over the S2 ( like the Galaxy S plus and Galaxy S ).
Old 7th February 2012, 09:39   #7675
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
I have S-Offed using Alpharev, so not sure about htcdev.
I had also used AlphaRevX for my Dinc 2. AlphaRevX has since evolved/merged into revolutionary.io. htc have recently made an S-off available officially, and Wildfire S is on this list. XDA does not list and option of revolutionary.io. So once htc are into the act they may have withdrawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
But a factory reset will not affect the OS, it will just put the OS back to factory settings. But the data will be lost, hence the suggestion to backup your data first.
In other words the ROM will be 2.3.5 post OTA and not the (original) 2.3.3. I guess the best way may be to take a backup with Astro and then just unlock, reload Astro from the market and restore.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:12   #7676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Anybody with experience of S-Off on htc phones using htcdev. I am a bit confused since as per androidcentral (echoed in XDA) one should upgrade to 2.3.5 before unlocking. At the same time they say, it will do a factory reset. If there is a factory reset is not the OS also lost!

1. Perform a full backup your phone's data as you will be doing a factory reset.
2. [OPTIONAL] Update software version to 2.3.5
I too S-OFF-ed using Alpharev's. Now Alpharev joined hands with with revolutionary.io which does S-OFF and also flashes a CWM Alpharev recovery.

The HTCDev steps asks one to back up your data somehow, and restore it somehow into the new 2.3.5 firmware not a good method! How do they expect one to do a complete backup (as in clockworkmod recovery) if the phone is fully in stock condition? I am not sure.

If an HTC is in stock condition,
Root -> flash CWM recovery tool -> Do a complete nandroid backup -> S-OFF using Alpharev or revolutionary -> Restore the nandroid backup.
In this way, you can be S-OFF without a any change in your current firmware and can preserve contacts, sms and everything.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th February 2012 at 11:16.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:29   #7677
Senior - BHPian

Some inputs on ES File Explorer, File manager, Dice Player Ad and Wifi Analyzer.

I have set up a NAS server at home and have moved all media, videos and other common items into the NAS server. The server is simply connected to a Wifi(which acts as an access point). Had some difficulties last few days to access the data from the NAS server using Note/s2. Though connected the speed was very low.

Wifi analyzer helped me fix the problem where the channel in Wifi which i was using was very weak. Changed the channel and voila the speed was back on.

ES File explorer, file manager, cifs manager and file expert were used during this testing.

CIFS never connected though i have a cifs kernal. So had to forget using CIFS for good.

File manager and file expert were goood and easy to connect but were a tad slow.

ES File manager was not only fast but the data transfer rates were pretty good compared to other means.

And ES file manager comes with a media player that just solves music problem.

We can create a playlist on the go using the ES File manager from the NAS and the device plays your fav music from a server un interuppted.

For videos ES File manager played most of the formats. But MKV or bigger file 1080 or 720 vidoes struggled.

Dice Vidoe player ad is now avaialble in market for free download and i installed and used the same.

Dice plays all HD videos effectively.

Do let me know if you need some help in connecting to a WIFI media server.Can share my experience.

For accessing media server throught phone my recommendation is to use ES File explorer and Dice player

Sadly never been able to test cifsmanager.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:41   #7678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Hmm, not sure if you can connect the Tata Photon to the Incredible directly, but you can buy a portable wi fi router like the Lava W150 or Dlink or Olive. Sells for approx 3k. Connect the photon to the device and voila, you have a wi fi cloud where ever you go. Battery lasts for about 3-4 hrs, which can be xtended if you shorten the range. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply.

Just one more question. Can this wi fi router also be used with my BSNL wired broadband connection.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:36   #7679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Just one more question. Can this wi fi router also be used with my BSNL wired broadband connection.
Tata Photon has comeup with a compact router, that supports multiple technologies in addition to hosting Photon data card.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 15:58   #7680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Thanks Bhp. I hear from my friends that low internal memory is a concerns since some of the applications can only be installed on the internal memory. That is the only thing that is stopping me from buying it.
Yes, but you can have applications like app2sd which will help you move movable applications to SD card. I have around 150 applications installed and still have around 100MB of internal memory free Also, once ICS comes up it will allow us to directly install applications to SD card. So no need to worry about internal memory IMO. Here is a link to a reference

http://www.askstudent.com/how-to/res...ndroid-phones/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks