Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 16:01   #7681
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

]HCL ME AM7-A1

Don't you just love telneting to a domestic device?

Well, not exactly telnet, but a utility called adb gives access to a shell on the tablet. OK, not exactly a domestic device either, but it seems closer to phone than to computer. I'm looking forward to the day when I can telnet to my fridge!

So this is the world of Android? Within a few hours of getting my hands on the device (a present to my wife: I, gadget lover though I am, don't actually feel the need of a tablet of any size or kind) I find myself downloading stuff to enable me to hack into it.

My first impression of the thing (and, thus, of all tablets, though others may be faster, smarter, zippier and fuller-featured) is like my first impression, coming from Unix, of a DOS PC with a windowing (it wasn't actually MS) interface: it's pretty, but what does it do?

What I want it to do, right now, is GPS and navigation, preferably offline. Took a look at GPS Essentials, but this HCL thing doesn't provide Android Market (isn't that one of the main reasons for Android? Did HCL read the script?) hence the hacking, as it apparently can be run anyway (here. Project only got as far as setting up the PC software and the adb connection last night).

Was planning on purchasing a Defy+ soon, and probably adding MapMyIndia to that. Probably I could load that on this HCL, but probably I don't want to pay for it for two devices.

Any mapping recommendations?

To close, the most basic, and probably stupid, question <Blush>: Shouldn't I be able to get Google Maps navigation (yes, I know it needs to be online) on this? How?

Cheers to the T-BHP Android community. I dipped my toes in the water now
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 16:44   #7682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
In Flipkart we trust!

Samsung Galaxy R I9103: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com : so good price i say. check letsbuy and current offers as well (if u can wait a day or two for delivery).
Thank you for the input.Got the phone.Absolutely loving it .Any tips and tricks for galaxy r or android in general?
Old 7th February 2012, 17:47   #7683
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried putting the official update (I think 2.3.5 or 2.3.6) on their SGS2?
Old 7th February 2012, 22:20   #7684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Thank you for the input.Got the phone.Absolutely loving it .Any tips and tricks for galaxy r or android in general?
None man.

Galaxy R is something I've seen junta around me use, but not in detail myself, beyond putting it through its paces a couple of times.

Android App Recommendations | FreeRiding can help u about Android in general.
Old 7th February 2012, 22:51   #7685
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
But hey, wait the rumors are S3 will be released during world mobile congress 2012 in Barcelona this month end. It is quad core 1.5GHz with 2GB ram 8MP cam 2MP front cam, ICS update and just 7mm thickness! It is worth waiting for this.
Thank you, i am indeed waiting for march ,but see the Below post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Samsung has confirmed that the S3 won't be unveiled at the MWC this year. They might launch it at a separate event sometime later ( a little like the Iphone events by Apple ). Seems like the S3 is not yet ready to be launched and it might take some time. Samsung will most probably launch the Galaxy S2 Advance which is a small improvement over the S2 ( like the Galaxy S plus and Galaxy S ).
Hope sgs2 prices come down to 22-24k so that i can go for sgs2 itself instead of R

If sony can bring down xperia arc's price from 29k to 23k why cant samsung bring down sgs2 price to 23k after launching sgs2+? lets wait and watch
Old 7th February 2012, 23:09   #7686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy

Hope sgs2 prices come down to 22-24k so that i can go for sgs2 itself instead of R

If sony can bring down xperia arc's price from 29k to 23k why cant samsung bring down sgs2 price to 23k after launching sgs2+? lets wait and watch
SE Experia arc price was highly priced at 30k even though it was not a dual core processer. But SG S2 is dual core and its one of the best smartphone currently available and there is still significance demand for this model, hence thr prices are not coming down for SG S2 until release of S3. Note is in different league and not affected S2 popularity.
Old 7th February 2012, 23:27   #7687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Has anyone tried putting the official update (I think 2.3.5 or 2.3.6) on their SGS2?
I have updated mine 2-3 weeks ago to 2.3.6 and it has been running great since then. The Changes that i could find so far :
1. Battery life has increased by a lot. Now, I don't lose much juice even if I leave the Wifi on overnight.
2. When you scroll from one page to the other, earlier, it used to stop at the last page. Now it takes you back to the first page once you reach the last page.
3. The 4th icon on the Pull down notification bar now says "Silent Mode" to be more intuitive for new users.
4. When you are scrolling down a list, once you reach the end of the list, earlier, the list used to have a bounce effect based on the speed of scrolling. But apparantly, Apple has a patent on that bounce effect, so now when you reach the end of the list, the scrolling stops abruptly and you get a blue glow to show that you have reached the end. Thanks a lot Apple :|.
5. There is a new "System Power Saving" mode in the Power Savings Menu in the Settings.

These are the only changes that I have found so far. I think it is an excellent update and I haven't experienced any problems or crashes. The battery life improvement alone is worth the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
]HCL ME AM7-A1

[/i]What I want it to do, right now, is GPS and navigation, preferably offline. Took a look at GPS Essentials, but this HCL thing doesn't provide Android Market (isn't that one of the main reasons for Android? Did HCL read the script?) hence the hacking, as it apparently can be run anyway

Any mapping recommendations?

To close, the most basic, and probably stupid, question <Blush>: Shouldn't I be able to get Google Maps navigation (yes, I know it needs to be online) on this? How?
I'm thinking you wouldn't need to hack the device to get access to the Android Market. I think you would just need to download the apk file for the Android Market App onto your device and then installing it should give you access to the market.

Once you install the Android Market app, you should be able to download the Google Maps app too.
Regarding mapping software, just buy the Sygic software from the Android market and it lets you download all the maps that you want. I think MapmyIndia supplies the India maps for Sygic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
The Arc was wayyy over priced when it was launched at 29K. The Arc was competing with the Galaxy S spec wise but Sony was charging the price of a Galaxy S2.
I think that the price of the S2 would stay at the current level for a little while. The Galaxy S2+ is more like a stop gap phone so I doubt it would drive down the price of the S2 by much. We might not see the S3 till the end of March or April.

Last edited by Newpunter : 7th February 2012 at 23:49.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 09:12   #7688
BHPian

How long should it take for a phone like galaxy r to charge?Its taking 3 and half hours for full charge in mine :(
Old 8th February 2012, 10:03   #7689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post

The Arc was wayyy over priced when it was launched at 29K. The Arc was competing with the Galaxy S spec wise but Sony was charging the price of a Galaxy S2.
I think that the price of the S2 would stay at the current level for a little while. The Galaxy S2+ is more like a stop gap phone so I doubt it would drive down the price of the S2 by much. We might not see the S3 till the end of March or April.
Sony's are always overpiced initially, but the prices slide prettttty fast.
I bought an X1 2 months after launch, and still cringe at what i paid, and how much it was selling for 4 months after.

Quote:
How long should it take for a phone like galaxy r to charge?Its taking 3 and half hours for full charge in mine :(
Somethings not right.
are you using the OE charger, or something else?
Old 8th February 2012, 10:04   #7690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s
For me it takes 2hrs 50 minutes to 3 hrs from 15-20 % to 100% charging. when it was new, mine was also taking more than 3hrs to fully charge. Battery backup of R is a little bit poor compared to SG S2 which has AMOLED display consuming less battery.
Old 8th February 2012, 10:07   #7691
Senior - BHPian

Have the Motorola Defy owners signed this petition?
Petition: Motorola Mobility Inc: Unlock all smartphone bootloaders. | Change.org

I just did.
Old 8th February 2012, 10:30   #7692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Somethings not right.
are you using the OE charger, or something else?
Yeah,OE charger only.This is my second charge.Is it the reason why its taking so long?
Old 8th February 2012, 11:28   #7693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah,OE charger only.This is my second charge.Is it the reason why its taking so long?
Its a microUSB, yeah?
My x10 on OE charger takes about 2 hours too.
but what i do now is use my wife's BB charger.
40 minutes, 0-100.
from 50-100 takes 20 minutes tops.
Been doing it for the last 6 months now, no complains, battery all well.

Earlier too, an app called spooncharge on winmo showed me that OE was providing a "medium" charging, while a BB charger with miniusb was shown as "strong".

So I suppose, BB chargers a go-go...
Old 8th February 2012, 12:23   #7694
Senior - BHPian

we discussed this earlier - charging currents vary across chargers.
OE may be 700-850mA while others do 1000mA. some are as crappy as 500 mA
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 13:52   #7695
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I too S-OFF-ed using Alpharev's. Now Alpharev joined hands with with revolutionary.io which does S-OFF and also flashes a CWM Alpharev recovery.

The HTCDev steps asks one to back up your data somehow, and restore it somehow into the new 2.3.5 firmware not a good method! How do they expect one to do a complete backup (as in clockworkmod recovery) if the phone is fully in stock condition? I am not sure.

If an HTC is in stock condition,
Root -> flash CWM recovery tool -> Do a complete nandroid backup -> S-OFF using Alpharev or revolutionary -> Restore the nandroid backup.
In this way, you can be S-OFF without a any change in your current firmware and can preserve contacts, sms and everything.
With htcdev this route is blocked. I have managed an app backup using AstroZip. Contact backup is with people, and thr sms backup will come from GosmsPro. Then I will do the S-off. htcSupertoolv3 has a problem, since this triggers (both zip and rar versions) a virus alert on my KasperskyAV. As it is a corporate license I cannot change the settings. So I guess I will have to either go with OneClickRoot or install the files manually. What are they?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks