Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:07   #7861
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Naveen, once you're done flashing a custom ROM on your LG O1, please do let me know your inputs on the ROM you flashed.

The reason why I ask you is that, my O1 currently runs on GingerCruz V1.5 and I'm planning to flash another ROM. But then, I'm still confused which one to go for this time.
Installed the Oxygen ROM. Had no issues with the flashing, backing up data etc. My data connection works fine. All is well.

On first impressions, the battery life seems to be better. Will confirm this in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Yes you can. you can also flash any baseband of your choice over a custom ROM
Yes, next will be the CM7.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:09   #7862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Stay with the stock rom for a few weeks and then jump directly into ICS. i dont see the point of going for a custom gingerbread build anymore .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Is there a stable ICS Custom ROM for p500?
There is one development going on XDA, but that is still not very stable I guess.
please post the links if you are successfully using one.
I am not sure that Optimus one has enough hardware resources for ICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Guys, whats your opinion on Samsung Galaxy S plus ? Its now available for 20.5k on Flipkart.
if you are looking in that range Galaxy R is probably a better bet as it is a newer generation model.

In Galaxy R, You may miss Gorrila Glass, Super Amoled Screen but you do get a Dual Core phone, 4.2 " screen (believe me even a .2" makes a lot of difference), better Internal ram, battery backup, LED Flash,Wifi Direct , Expect ICS to probably arrive first to R.

R is slightly heavier though

Last edited by indian21r : 23rd February 2012 at 10:10.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:50   #7863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was looking for something that starts with basic use and gets deeper. One can always skip the "how-to-dial-a-number" chapters, although my computer experience says that not doing so often leads to "I never knew that before" moments!
Go here for a beginners guide. It has almost all necessary things to be taught about Defy Man, its one of the most customizable phones on market

[GUIDE] All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide - xda-developers
bhp_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:25   #7864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy

Installed the Oxygen ROM. Had no issues with the flashing, backing up data etc. My data connection works fine. All is well.

On first impressions, the battery life seems to be better. Will confirm this in a few days.
That's nice! If possible would you please share some screenshots of the Oxygen ROM. Last I checked there were no screenshots on the xda thread.

The PerfectPeso ROM looks very tempting. I might flash that ROM
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:25   #7865
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I have a HTC Incredible S with Aitel Prepaid here in Calcutta.
I also recharge for Rs 98 internet pack which gives me 1 GB of data every month.
The notification that I get on the status bar ( beside the signal strength ) is an E with up/down arrows, which I presume means EDGE network.
From yesterday the E has been replaced with an H and the internet speed has gone through the roof. I mean I am getting super fast internet and 5 minute music videos on U-Tube are buffered in less than a minute. Previously I could not play any online videos because of the pathetically slow speed.
Any body has any idea what this H notification is ?
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:27   #7866
BHPian

"H" sign comes in when you are logged on 3G network.That us why you are seeing a increased speed. Make sure they are not charging you "through the roof" for the 3G downloads. For all reasons, they should be having a different plan for 3G data transfer and this might not come under the 98 Rs 1 GB limit

Last edited by joecherian : 23rd February 2012 at 13:28.
joecherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:35   #7867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Go here for a beginners guide. It has almost all necessary things to be taught about Defy Man, its one of the most customizable phones on market
Excellent, thank you. Bookmarked: I'll be reading it in the night. I'll be spending a while with the manual and the phone before considering any customisation, but I might as well start learning the options right away.

What I mean by a basic guide, though, is stuff like getting to grips with the lingo. It's not so hard to understand that Android people are using the hardware term "ROM" to mean the operating system image that is loaded from the ROM, but, as with any system, there is a heap more. What, for instance is a "loader?" Shell? Window manager? Something like that?

Just an example. I'm not asking people here to go baby-talk for me, but there must be a web resource for idiots somewhere. Google, so far, has not been my friend on this --- but I'm still looking.

There seem to be offline-map navigation options where payment can be, err, avoided --- but MapMyIndia is not greatly expensive. I'll be ordering it. Defy is listed on their site as supported. I checked by mail that Defy+ is also.
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:55   #7868
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent, thank you. Bookmarked: I'll be reading it in the night. I'll be spending a while with the manual and the phone before considering any customisation, but I might as well start learning the options right away.

What I mean by a basic guide, though, is stuff like getting to grips with the lingo. It's not so hard to understand that Android people are using the hardware term "ROM" to mean the operating system image that is loaded from the ROM, but, as with any system, there is a heap more. What, for instance is a "loader?" Shell? Window manager? Something like that?

Just an example. I'm not asking people here to go baby-talk for me, but there must be a web resource for idiots somewhere. Google, so far, has not been my friend on this --- but I'm still looking.

There seem to be offline-map navigation options where payment can be, err, avoided --- but MapMyIndia is not greatly expensive. I'll be ordering it. Defy is listed on their site as supported. I checked by mail that Defy+ is also.
I can completely understand your concern. Situation was same an year back, when I got hold of my first android Being in IT business, I can shed some light on some of the terms you've asked.

1) ROM - Abbreviation for Read Only Memory. Its not an OS by itself, but OS are loaded into a ROM for usage. Simply said, its the storage for OS.
2) Loader (you meant Boot loader?) - Its like BIOS for computer. It initializes the hardware inside the phone before booting the OS.
3) Shell - Its like command prompt in windows. A small program which interfaces human readable commands to the machine language. Simply said, similar to a language interpreter .
4) Window manager - Its more of a topic of interest for developers than users. It basically is a generic system native to android which manages windowing options in android (basically, what you see in different apps). If interested, read more and technical on.
WindowManager | Android Developers

For free off-line navigation, have a look at Navmii app in market. Details depends on location, but its pretty much usable in Cities. Being said that Sygic navigation app provided by Map My India seems to be more "search-friendly".

If you're a performance maniac, try out CM7 on Defy+. Its flawless and performs like a rocket compared to the stock Motorola firmware.
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:02   #7869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
E has been replaced with an H and the internet speed has gone through the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
"H" sign comes in when you are logged on 3G network.That us why you are seeing a increased speed. Make sure they are not charging you "through the roof" for the 3G downloads.
If you have not asked for that 'H', that simply means 'Hazard'!! Watch out for the next bill and most probably you will get a shock!!

In my case, they charged me 800+ bucks for data usage alone while I was using EDGE all the time with 98 Rs plan. They assumed that I was using 3G somehow! Had to talk to customer care two days for more than 30 minutes to get the bill amount reduced to 98 rs for data.

Quote:
I'd also ask you to check out Google Maps with world wide navigation enabled to see if that suits your needs. It is free but it needs data for driving directions calculation. You can have the maps offline in that too. I find it very useful and in fact better than some of the paid navigation maps. Google maps contain lots of detail that others still need to catch up with.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd February 2012 at 14:08.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:07   #7870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thad Sir, your best bet would be to install Brut Maps (modded Google Maps) with navigation option enabled for India. That way you get the best maps and navigation for free.

The Sygic Maps' map data sucks a big time in my place. All the roads are not present and the POIs are very handful in number when compared to Google Maps, the last time I checked. So, please confirm with others who're using the Sygic Maps/MapMyIndia Maps before spending on the same.

To put it simply, the only thing I like about the Sygic Maps is the awesome user-interface.

Quote:
From yesterday the E has been replaced with an H and the internet speed has gone through the roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Make sure they are not charging you "through the roof" for the 3G downloads. For all reasons, they should be having a different plan for 3G data transfer and this might not come under the 98 Rs 1 GB limit
Well, I've BSNL 2G SIM. Earlier, I used to get speeds ~2Mbps every time I was around a 3G tower. I could enjoy 3G browsing at 2G price. But these days BSNL seems to have fixed this loop-hole (or whatever you call) and I get ~256 kbps speed.

mitradeep, as advised by joecherian please confirm that you're not being charged 3G rates. If you're being charged 3G rates, select 2G Network mode only in the Settings. Else, enjoy the high-speed internet. . Please do check the internet speeds using the SpeedTest app.

The H refers to High-Speed Downlink Packet Access.

EDIT : I still get 3GB 256kbps internet speed for Rs 89.

Last edited by Klub Class : 23rd February 2012 at 14:09.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:30   #7871
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the mapping/nav comments. I use Google Maps as an every day resource on the PC: it is wonderful for Chennai city, with even small lanes being findable, but it quickly runs out of detail as one runs out of suburb. From other threads, I'd always understood that MapMyIndia is far better in its coverage of non-metro India.
Quote:
Excellent, thank you. Bookmarked: I'll be reading it in the night...
Started already. Nice to see that, as well as giving the technical information, concepts are explained in easy-to-understand terms

As for 2G/3G/Data-Plan stuff, we need to get this sorted out both for my phone and my wife's new tablet. I guess I'll talk to a teenager!

(I always say that I won't ever let a teenager touch my computer, but for phones, they are the all-knowing ones!)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd February 2012 at 14:33.
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:33   #7872
BHPian

Quote:
[i] I still get 3GB 256kbps internet speed for Rs 89.
This is only for prepaid customers I guess. I have a BSNL postpaid (2G) and the data speed is capped to 120kbps Have anybody else on BSNL postpaid got lucky on their speeds?
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:38   #7873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
...but it quickly runs out of detail as one runs out of suburb.
The Google Maps' data is contributed by people using the Google MapMaker website. The no of people hailing from non suburbs and contributing to the map data is very less and that's why the non suburb maps are not that detailed.

For your info, one can correct bad data or add roads, POIs etc on to Google Maps. This is another reason I prefer Google Maps over other maps

EDIT :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
I always say that I won't ever let a teenager touch my computer, but for phones, they are the all-knowing ones!
Hahaha! I'm a teenager, for the record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac

This is only for prepaid customers I guess. I have a BSNL postpaid (2G) and the data speed is capped to 120kbps Have anybody else on BSNL postpaid got lucky on their speeds?
I use BSNL Prepaid.

Taking of the 3 GB data transfer for Rs 89 ; the first time you activate the Rs 89 offer you would get only 2 GB data transfer. But the next tine you activate the same offer(before your current internet plan expires), you would get 3GB data transfer + remaining data in the previous plan.

Last edited by Klub Class : 23rd February 2012 at 14:47.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:52   #7874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TFrom other threads, I'd always understood that MapMyIndia is far better in its coverage of non-metro India.
No other maps have reached the detail Google Maps have in rural Kerala. It may be a different story in other states, I am not sure. The only map which has the roads to my parent's place in my hometown is Google maps In MapMyindia maps, there is a trail of NH66 at a distance of 11 Kms from that place and rest - according to Mapmyindia - is like Thar desert

Quote:
Thad Sir, your best bet would be to install Brut Maps (modded Google Maps)
Say good bye to old brut mod Google Maps because the latest greatest patched Google Maps 6.3 is already available as I pointed out in my previous post.

Guys,
Our fellow member Klub Class is an expert mapper in Google maps and he already has a stature in the top 100 contributors from Kerala.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd February 2012 at 15:01.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:12   #7875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HSDPA High-Speed Downlink Packet Access.
HSPA - If both uplink and downlink are enabled, that is HSDPA + HSUPA.

Currently 3.6 , 7.2 and 14 Mbps are available in HSPA, AFAIK BSNL has 3.6 mbps HSPA.
amitk26 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed