Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 13:26   #8146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
These are already tried out, three issue seems to be more mysterious than messing up with these settings.
I am in CM7 in my Galaxy S and havent faced this problem. One problem i faced was the dock icons suddenly disappearing. Restarting the phone usually fixes the problem but its quite strange.

I have titanium back up and the simple XML based backup using the applications. So easy to restore both call and sms logs.

Cant wait to get my hands on a CM9 in my note. I am absolutely sure the phone would be twice faster.
Old 12th March 2012, 14:57   #8147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

I am in CM7 in my Galaxy S and havent faced this problem. One problem i faced was the dock icons suddenly disappearing. Restarting the phone usually fixes the problem but its quite strange.
I have faced this problem too. The dock suddenly disappears. Trick is to go into adw settings, change the dockbar style to say "3 icons" and then revert back to the style you were using previously. This restores the dockbar for me.
Old 12th March 2012, 17:21   #8148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi all,Any idea where i can get the best price for sgs2? i have a deal for 29k as of now
I was just about to place a order for Galaxy s2 and then saw a model number as I9100G and came to know that there are two s2's I9100 and I9100G...Now which is better ?

Please advice its URGENT,Thanks!
Old 12th March 2012, 17:49   #8149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
I was just about to place a order for Galaxy s2 and then saw a model number as I9100G and came to know that there are two s2's I9100 and I9100G...Now which is better ?

Go for SGS2 I9100 and not for SGS2 I9100G.
Old 12th March 2012, 17:59   #8150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy

Please do not get I9100G. It is different from I9100. Support for I9100G is a big doubt.
rajanprash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 04:01   #8151
Senior - BHPian

Today i was going to rent a movie - Reservoir Dogs from Google Play store for $0.25. I came to know that rooted android device won't play rental movies. There goes my wish of renting for first time out of window. I guess i will never rent again.

The reason is some licensing requirement not able to retrieve due to rooted device. I say its utter crap. I wish someone would break it too.

On further research i came across many articles explaining the same. Weird! Very Weird.

Google Blocks Rooted Android Devices From Renting Movies | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Last edited by chevelle : 13th March 2012 at 04:09.
Old 13th March 2012, 08:06   #8152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
Today i was going to rent a movie - Reservoir Dogs from Google Play store for $0.25. I came to know that rooted android device won't play rental movies. There goes my wish of renting for first time out of window. I guess i will never rent again.

The reason is some licensing requirement not able to retrieve due to rooted device. I say its utter crap. I wish someone would break it too.

On further research i came across many articles explaining the same. Weird! Very Weird.

Google Blocks Rooted Android Devices From Renting Movies | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
Yes, rooting will not enable you to watch rented movies. I guess there are workarounds, like this one -
m.pocketnow.com/android/hacked-apk-brings-google-videos-to-rooted-androids

Btw, that movie is full of blood and gore :(

Last edited by clevermax : 13th March 2012 at 08:09.
Old 13th March 2012, 14:01   #8153
Senior - BHPian

ICS update for Galaxy S2 has finally started seeding

Android 4.0 ICS update is now seeding for Samsung Galaxy S II - GSMArena.com news

Last edited by _raVan_ : 13th March 2012 at 14:02.
Old 13th March 2012, 19:55   #8154
Senior - BHPian

A friend is considering purchase of a Windows phone, namely Samsung Omnia W or Focus.

While these phones seem to have amazing hardware for the price, which will not be found in Android, I'd like to know how a Windows phone will compare to someone sold to Android.

I am aware of limitations like no removable storage, no Bluetooth transfers, etc., but what about the app. front? Apps that will need to be used extensively are maps/navigation, FB, Whatsapp, Yahoo, browser, Youtube, dictionaries, etc. (seems there no Opera for Win??). Even stuff like Goggle Goggles, Gesture Search, etc., does not seem to be available for Windows. Thats what I could glean from some quick reading on the net.

Actually the Defy Plus was being considered as its in the same price range, but it looses out due to the poor still and video cam performance. Also no SAMOLED screen. In fact no Android hardware seems to be in the same league.

Would really appreciate if anybody here using both OSs extensively can comment on how it would be to put up with Windows after Android.

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th March 2012 at 19:59.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:06   #8155
Senior - BHPian

I was almost sold onto windows phone when I realized it does not allow in-call recording. And there are no workarounds. I like to record voice notes instead of looking for a notepad and this was the reason I am considering moving to android (currently on WM6.5 and android occasionally).
Old 13th March 2012, 20:07   #8156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
A friend is considering purchase of a Windows phone, namely Samsung Omnia W or Focus.

Would really appreciate if anybody here using both OSs extensively can comment on how it would be to put up with Windows after Android.
Purely in my view (I use both OS, have HTC Sensation and HTC Radar). Speaking from a OS noob perspective (though I am not one

Android +:
1. Customizations! Especially if you like to play around and try different custom ROMs etc.
2. Lots of useful apps.

ANDroid -:
1. No decent device in low or mid range.
2. Android is not for inferior HW. You might not get latest updates/latest Android Software.
3. Battery performance! It is horrible.

WP +:
1. Amazing battery performance. Same size battery will outlast every Droid out there.
2. Amazing fluid UI (no lags whatsoever!). It looks even greater on the Amoled of Omnia W.

WP -:
1. Limited apps (so the app you want so much might not be available)
2. Very very limited customizations available (just color changes etc)

Take your pick. If you like to play around a lot go for a Droid (albeit raise your budget and go for at least a dual core device). If you want a no nonsense, no thrills experience WP is good enough.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 22:26   #8157
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thanks Joslic and Vivekiny2k. Those are some serious limitations. But question how likely are the to be addressed in the next OS upgrade. And if the Lumia will get an update at all. The answer to the 1st question I guess isn't going to be to clear right now...

Anybody has any comments on the Xperia Ray?

Still undecided...

Edit: Does Swype (or equivalent) support Windows?

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th March 2012 at 22:43.
Old 14th March 2012, 09:16   #8158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Thanks Joslic and Vivekiny2k. Those are some serious limitations. But question how likely are the to be addressed in the next OS upgrade. And if the Lumia will get an update at all. The answer to the 1st question I guess isn't going to be to clear right now...

Anybody has any comments on the Xperia Ray?

Still undecided...

Edit: Does Swype (or equivalent) support Windows?
I have Iphone4 for myself. I just bought Xperia Ray for my wife on our anniversary.
1st impression was really not good about overall fit and finish and plastic quality. phone itself is good for normal user.
I and my wife find screen size small for keyboard.
Screen is also not as good as samsung screens are somehow.

my 1st android phone was HTC Wildfire. I really loved this phone for it's fit and finish. the material quality is absolutely fantastic of HTC phones.

Slydr seems to be alternate for swype for windows phone as it's not available yet.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:05   #8159
BHPian

I just Flashed Resurrection Remix ROM v9.7 (based on ICS 4.0.3) on my SGSII. Wow! Feels like a different phone. No issues so far.

Would suggest other Bhpians who flash ROMs to try this one if you havent already.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:29   #8160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I have Iphone4 for myself. I just bought Xperia Ray for my wife on our anniversary.
1st impression was really not good about overall fit and finish and plastic quality. phone itself is good for normal user.
I and my wife find screen size small for keyboard.
Screen is also not as good as samsung screens are somehow.

my 1st android phone was HTC Wildfire. I really loved this phone for it's fit and finish. the material quality is absolutely fantastic of HTC phones.

Slydr seems to be alternate for swype for windows phone as it's not available yet.
Thanks for the inputs though that makes the decision even tougher.

Wildfire S is out of the question because of its specs and price (overpriced). Also, I'v found HTC phones to have poor cams.

Most Viewed