Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 23:25   #8251
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
And that makes it acceptable?

I think now are seeing the costs of "free" in terms of advertisement
Read somewhere "If You're Not Paying for It; You're the Product". There are real people sitting and developing the apps and no it's not for charity :-). It's scary the kind of info people share online and the kind of analytical capabilities the companies have. It's just the sheer volume that makes it less personal.
Old 21st March 2012, 00:59   #8252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Ads within apps consume more energy than the app itself

Ads within Android apps found to consume 75% of the app's power - GSMArena.com news
How to avoid this as a normal end user? Any tips or hints?
Old 21st March 2012, 01:27   #8253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
How to avoid this as a normal end user? Any tips or hints?
Buy the paid versions of apps.

I know people will recommend Ad blockers but that isn't fair to the developer.Development is not an easy task and by blocking ads you're blocking the App creators revenue.If you don't want the Ads or feel that they are a privacy breach just go for the paid non-ad version
Old 21st March 2012, 02:49   #8254
BHPian

Samsung launches its own Indian e-store

https://www.samsungindiaestore.com
Old 21st March 2012, 05:13   #8255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil

Then just find out where the boot animatipns are stored using app like root explorer and replace the current files.

Or

For gnote i have a zip file with scripts to do so. You might want to check similar boot animations. Zip for s2 on xda forum extract the zip replace the animation files withyour animations and flash them as update.zip
Using cwm or like?

P.s do it at your own risk.
Hi Anil,

That's what i'm trying to say, I can replace those animation files but the replaced animation files have to be in .png format instead if a .avi or .dat or another video format. That ideally means I will hasn't to break a movie file into .png's format which is a painful job and also will have to separately extract the sound.
Old 21st March 2012, 08:19   #8256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

I went ahead with the steps in that link. I can't get past the stage where windows installed "odin" drivers...
I think the OPS file is missing. Without the correct OPS file, the firmware cannot be flashed. Galaxy Ace and Galaxy fit need an OPS file even while using the one package option. I assume the pop also would need the OPS file.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:17   #8257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
And that makes it acceptable?

I think now are seeing the costs of "free" in terms of advertisement
baba,

Same thing I am saying. A "news" slamming android cites a work involving microsoft staff is unusable as per me.

Secondly, there are ad supported softwares on all platforms including iPhone. So I think that report applies to almost all platforms. Its stupid to hold it against Android only.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:40   #8258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
I think the OPS file is missing. Without the correct OPS file, the firmware cannot be flashed. Galaxy Ace and Galaxy fit need an OPS file even while using the one package option. I assume the pop also would need the OPS file.
What is an OPS file? Can you please throw some more light?
Old 21st March 2012, 10:53   #8259
Senior - BHPian

Android is not exactly a open source like linux at least. If they are truly open source why cant google just release its code used in Nexus and let the developers do their own digging.

Samsung is one of the worst players to ever waste time with source code. ICS is still not available for S2 and Note.

Windows phones picking up in sales and Iphone 4s has his own niche set of buyers. Personally i am not really happy with the delay of ICS in India.

All for the bloatware to be added over the base ICS from google.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:18   #8260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

At first the phone kept disconnecting itself every 30 seconds or so, so ODIN could not continue. Now, after few trials, it has stopped but it is stuck in this state for ever -
download:
GT-S5570XXKPF.rar
extract files to a folder.(password: samfirmware.com )
open ODIN multiloader 4.38 from the downloaded folder and make sure the phone is detected which is shown by the yellow COM port.
place files as shown below.
make sure only AUTO REBOOT and PROTECT OPS boxes are only ticked!!
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-odin.png  

Last edited by ariendj : 21st March 2012 at 12:32.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:44   #8261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Hi Anil,

That's what i'm trying to say, I can replace those animation files but the replaced animation files have to be in .png format instead if a .avi or .dat or another video format. That ideally means I will hasn't to break a movie file into .png's format which is a painful job and also will have to separately extract the sound.
OK so you need help on creating boot animations that the OS recognizes but not on how to load them into the OS. My bad!

But are you sure that only .png is the format for the boot animations? .Gif should do too and creating a GIF is easier and you will have to load the sound files separately of course.

To be very frank, I do not have any solution for you, I am just thinking out aloud.
Old 21st March 2012, 13:24   #8262
Senior - BHPian

@anilisanil.

Have you unbricked your note or did Samsung replaced it.

I am back to GB and waiting for official ICE. Worst case i may go and upgrade to chekcrom.

Want to try to Ubuntu and see if that works. The download is not working and i am unable to download the files.
Old 21st March 2012, 13:29   #8263
BHPian

Need help guys... I am thinking about buying a phone, couple of the ones I liked are listed below. Please suggest/recommend, primary usuage is internet/photos/email/games .

1. Motorazr - I liked this phone however I believe the upgraded version i.e. Motorazr Maxx is going to launch soon (as rumoured).

2. HTC Sensation XE with beat audio - Liked this one too, is packed however the front facing camera is mere 0.3 mpl.

3. Samsung Galaxy SII - This is a market player currently but somehow I liek the Motorazr more as its a lil different in looks and appeal and not soo common.

4. iPhone 4s - now this is something very different, but yeah I liked it and have used it exentisely i.e. 4s aswell as the 4.

I am totally confused which ones to pick up. Please help.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:03   #8264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Need help guys... I am thinking about buying a phone, couple of the ones I liked are listed below. Please suggest/recommend, primary usuage is internet/photos/email/games .

1. Motorazr - I liked this phone however I believe the upgraded version i.e. Motorazr Maxx is going to launch soon (as rumoured).

2. HTC Sensation XE with beat audio - Liked this one too, is packed however the front facing camera is mere 0.3 mpl.

3. Samsung Galaxy SII - This is a market player currently but somehow I liek the Motorazr more as its a lil different in looks and appeal and not soo common.

4. iPhone 4s - now this is something very different, but yeah I liked it and have used it exentisely i.e. 4s aswell as the 4.

I am totally confused which ones to pick up. Please help.
If you want an Android phone, then go for the Moto Razr. It is quite good phone, better built than others, better in looks, and now that Moto is part of google, may get better support in future. It has qHD resolution screen which is better than 800x480 of Galazy S2 (which is quite over-hyped phone in my opinion! Only the world doesnt seem to think so )

I wouldnt buy an iphone unless they price it at sane levels. Its massively overpriced, overhyped and frankly not_worth_it product. Others might have different opinion but spending 45k on a 3.5 inch screen phone is just foolishness.

If you can wait a bit (read a few months), you will have much better choice of phones to pick from. HTC One series, Galaxy S3 etc or even the Google Nexus. I wonder why it is not yet launched in India?

Last edited by joslicx : 21st March 2012 at 14:04.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:13   #8265
Senior - BHPian

Guys, anyone here using the Motorola Atrix 2 ? My galaxy ace has become annoyingly slow these days and i'm seriously considering the Moto for the dual core and the pretty decent price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks