Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 17:58   #8461
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Hmm thanks. the Desire has a 1400 Mah battery with a Amoled 3.7 inch screen. The One X is a 1800 Mah with a 4.7 IPS-LCD. Not a hope that the One X will last 24 hrs.

Let us not forget the vast difference in technology here. the internals of the one X and the desire are not the same and you just cant compare battery capacity to get a real picture .

The One X though quad core has a fifth core that runs on a low clockspeed (800 mhz). and whenever the phone is idle or not doing anything CPU extensive the tegra controller shuts off the four cores and the fifth companion core is the only one running.so big savings on battery life
Old 5th April 2012, 18:44   #8462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight
Guys,

What about the HTC One X? I've been waiting for a while for a worthwhile android phone and the One X looks like it. I like the specs, not that I will be able to max out a Quad core 1.5 processor but I like the idea future proofing it somewhat.

What I am seriously worried about is the battery life. I dont spend more than an hour a day in calls but do fiddle about a lot. More so, since I am moving on to android only now, I will be really playing around with the phone...atleast for the first 6 months or so. Do you reckon the battery will last me atleast a day? My phone dying in the middle of the day is a no no. It needs to last me from 7-11.

Any thoughts there? I find the Note too big. I thought the SII was pretty well sized.
Quad core is actually 4+1 in this case. The fifth one will be the only one running unless there is enough load. So theoretically it should have a good battery life.
Old 5th April 2012, 19:08   #8463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Let us not forget the vast difference in technology here. the internals of the one X and the desire are not the same and you just cant compare battery capacity to get a real picture .

While I agree that on the whole technology advances, I am yet to see any differences pointed in the direction of vast differences. And a generic comparision of screen size v. battery capacity over phones should hold true, irrespective.

The One X though quad core has a fifth core that runs on a low clockspeed (800 mhz). and whenever the phone is idle or not doing anything CPU extensive the tegra controller shuts off the four cores and the fifth companion core is the only one running.so big savings on battery life
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Quad core is actually 4+1 in this case. The fifth one will be the only one running unless there is enough load. So theoretically it should have a good battery life.
I read about this and yes theoretically, this should make the battery more efficient. I was actually reading up about the Tegra 3 Quad processor and its quite possible that it won't eat up the battery like in older HTC's because of the 4+1 architecture. Actually, I'm praying so; I just ordered it off Flipkart; should be here in a week or less.
Old 5th April 2012, 19:57   #8464
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

What about the HTC One X? I've been waiting for a while for a worthwhile android phone and the One X looks like it. I like the specs, not that I will be able to max out a Quad core 1.5 processor but I like the idea future proofing it somewhat.

What I am seriously worried about is the battery life. I dont spend more than an hour a day in calls but do fiddle about a lot. More so, since I am moving on to android only now, I will be really playing around with the phone...atleast for the first 6 months or so. Do you reckon the battery will last me atleast a day? My phone dying in the middle of the day is a no no. It needs to last me from 7-11.

Any thoughts there? I find the Note too big. I thought the SII was pretty well sized.
Well I own a HTC One X White, it has been 3rd day now and I can comment a little on battery.
First day - lots of fiddling and configuration, videos, htc sense, face unlock, nick-nacks - battery lasted close to 14 hours.
Second day - apps used/games/music/web browsing - battery lasted 18 hours.
Third day - 18 hours and still 40% remains. I think the battery is improving and should easily last more than 24 hours.

Let me know if I can be of help.
Old 5th April 2012, 20:42   #8465
Senior - BHPian

Actually, If one learns to tweak the phone settings, and change the Vsel values and clock frequency, one gets much better battery life almost 3X or 4X of stock battery life X in any Android mobile!!
Old 5th April 2012, 21:06   #8466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi

Well I own a HTC One X White, it has been 3rd day now and I can comment a little on battery.
First day - lots of fiddling and configuration, videos, htc sense, face unlock, nick-nacks - battery lasted close to 14 hours.
Third day - 18 hours and still 40% remains. I think the battery is improving and should easily last more than 24 hours.

Good! It is not your battery capacity improving but your usage slowly coming down to normal after the initial spike, it will still continue to improve as you come out of honeymoon period with the phone.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th April 2012 at 21:07.
Old 5th April 2012, 21:27   #8467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post

Hey Anmol, I saw your post saying you've got a new One X. Assumed you would be playing around with the phone to get on here. But now that you have, and had the phone for a couple of days, how about first impressions? Thanks for the update about the battery life. Hate the idea of having to look for plugs constantly to charge my phone up. I typically charge my phone at night when I get home and thats my 24 hour cycle. Wondering if it'll last that long. Also, what did you do about the micro sim? Did you get one from Airtel or cut your current one down to size? Any pointers if you did. Also, which phone were you using earlier?

I do agree with Clevermax about the honeymoon period and all. Happens with all new buys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Actually, If one learns to tweak the phone settings, and change the Vsel values and clock frequency, one gets much better battery life almost 3X or 4X of stock battery life X in any Android mobile!!
Really, 3X or 4X! Wow, I did not know about this. Any links where I can read up about this?

What are downsides of doing this? How come other Android users don't do this?

Last edited by Eddy : 5th April 2012 at 23:28. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 5th April 2012, 21:41   #8468
BHPian

Quote:

Hey Anmol, I saw your post saying you've got a new One X. Assumed you would be playing around with the phone to get on here. But now that you have, and had the phone for a couple of days, how about first impressions? Thanks for the update about the battery life. Hate the idea of having to look for plugs constantly to charge my phone up. I typically charge my phone at night when I get home and thats my 24 hour cycle. Wondering if it'll last that long.

Also, what did you do about the micro sim? Did you get one from Airtel or cut your current one down to size? Any pointers if you did.
IMHO this would easily cross 24 hours. I am confident on its battery performance with the trend I have been seeing. I used my airtel sim which I used in my iPhone 4s. Had cut it myself with the stapler kind of thing.

Initial impressions - very nice. Easy to handle with single hand. HTC has put in lots of thoughts. The back is matte and its not at all fingerprint magnet. The side trim are glossy for easy in/out operation from pocket or pouch. Phone doesn't lag at all. The microphone has a real noise cancellation and my voice was crystal clear to my friends even in busiest places.
Camera : awesome. Burst mode captures 99 pictures in a single shot. Best option to capture kids moments and wildlife. Night shots came out very good. Video recording provides option to capture pictures on the fly without doing any changes.

And keyboard is so comfortable that I am typing this message from HTC one x tbhp app.

Let me know what more can I input. Love to help.
Old 5th April 2012, 21:54   #8469
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO this would easily cross 24 hours. I am confident on its battery performance with the trend I have been seeing. I used my airtel sim which I used in my iPhone 4s. Had cut it myself with the stapler kind of thing.

That's good news but honestly I'm a little skeptical about that. No android I know of crosses 24 hours with moderate use-not a Desire, a galaxy ace, a SII-none of them. But then that's what was said about my N8 and I easily manage to get 2 days out of it now.

Initial impressions - very nice. Easy to handle with single hand. HTC has put in lots of thoughts. The back is matte and its not at all fingerprint magnet. The side trim are glossy for easy in/out operation from pocket or pouch. Phone doesn't lag at all. The microphone has a real noise cancellation and my voice was crystal clear to my friends even in busiest places.
Camera : awesome. Burst mode captures 99 pictures in a single shot. Best option to capture kids moments and wildlife. Night shots came out very good. Video recording provides option to capture pictures on the fly without doing any changes.

I'm not very concerned about the quality of the camera, I will still carry my N8 around.

And keyboard is so comfortable that I am typing this message from HTC one x tbhp app.

Ah, good to know that. I really dislike the keyboard on my N8.

Thanks for the help till now. I've ordered it and it should be here soon. Flipkart hasn't disappointed yet.
Old 5th April 2012, 22:01   #8470
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the help till now. I've ordered it and it should be here soon. Flipkart hasn't disappointed yet.
You should have ordered from buytheprice.com they have pricing 36080. And ngpay has pricing 34.3k
Old 6th April 2012, 08:45   #8471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really, 3X or 4X! Wow, I did not know about this. Any links where I can read up about this?

What are downsides of doing this? How come other Android users don't do this?
XDA forum has all your answers. I can post the thread link if required
Old 6th April 2012, 09:04   #8472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
XDA forum has all your answers. I can post the thread link if required
Please do so My Sensation gives me 'only' about 24 hours of moderate use but I would love it if it would go on for 3 or 4 days on a single charge. Thanks a lot.
Old 6th April 2012, 09:14   #8473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Please do so My Sensation gives me 'only' about 24 hours of moderate use but I would love it if it would go on for 3 or 4 days on a single charge. Thanks a lot.
Whatever we do, the battery ain't going to last for more than 24-30 hours for phones like Sensation/SII, if we use then like true smart phones (emails, calendar, music, games, etc...)
Old 6th April 2012, 11:05   #8474
BHPian

Quote:
...Initial impressions - very nice. Easy to handle with single hand. HTC has put in lots of thoughts. The back is matte and its not at all fingerprint magnet. The side trim are glossy for easy in/out operation from pocket or pouch. Phone doesn't lag at all...
How is the back? I mean is it prone to getting scratches and stuff? Not sure if it is allowed, but some 'real' pics of the phone in a normal environment would be great for prospective buyers!

Also, the big question: ~37k - is it really worth it? I'm tempted but man so many options at that price. And where did you get the white version from? I cant find it anywhere :(

Cheers.
Old 6th April 2012, 12:33   #8475
Senior - BHPian

So it defyed the lickin, the biting, the showers, the falls on a tile floor but got shattered on its first concrete kiss despite a black berry cover. One Hit on the exposed point was enough.

The service center replaced it in 20 min flat.

Moral of the story : bumpers rock.

RAZR n SGS2 have a better designed bezel.

Ruchir : don't. But then love is blind, what can I say!

Hrishi, see a gto thread on jeep minus the hu.

N. Aditya, check grounding. My screen is issue less at my in laws place, even while on charger.

Most Viewed