Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 02:35   #8506
Senior - BHPian

Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It was all too confusing... so I picked up a samsung galaxy note. Considering my laptop has an 18" screen, its necessary that I pick up an obese phone. And I am loving it!
Its like the double cheeseburger at In&Out. You have to open your mouth uncomfortably to eat it, but once you eat it, its simply heavenly.
You picked up the maharaja Mac. No doubt its a great phone used it for few days as a friend of mine has both white and black. However I enjoy the pure ICS experience without any Samsung bloatware on G.Nexus. I did try few leaked version of ICS on SGSII they were no where close to the experience as G.Nexus.
The best experience with GNote has been with Checkrom custom Rom. One of the best Rom out there for Note for customization.
ICE on note, when its released will definitely spice it up and with custom Rom one could change the dpi. setting to a tablet form. Samsung has pushed the release date on ICE by end of 2nd quarter.

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th April 2012 at 02:45.
Old 10th April 2012, 07:32   #8507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi
Guys,

Today my Neo V started acting really weird. The screen is receiving touch inputs without me doing anything. I downloaded this app Dotty (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JyeS5kb3R0eSJd) to see what's happening with the screen.

This app confirms that the screen is getting random touch everywhere on the screen. This started happening suddenly today afternoon. It was running a custom ROM, I flashed the stock ROM back but still same issue. Any ideas what is happening here?
Try shutting the phone down & clean the screen with some clean damp cloth. Then start it & see if it helps.

Even I used to get these weird inputs on my defy screen if it was having some dirt on it. Specially something like cement powder etc. (Happend during renovation of my home.)
Old 10th April 2012, 08:36   #8508
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Try shutting the phone down & clean the screen with some clean damp cloth. Then start it & see if it helps.

Even I used to get these weird inputs on my defy screen if it was having some dirt on it. Specially something like cement powder etc. (Happend during renovation of my home.)
I did that, didn't help :(. I searched around for this issue and most people faced this problem because of using a different charger. I do have two chargers in my house so I might have used a different one for my Neo.

Things have improved since yesterday, hope it will stabilize in few days.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:03   #8509
BHPian

And to confuse me more. just as i was about to get the Note, comes the One X. Please help me out guys. I'm super super confused now.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:30   #8510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
And to confuse me more. just as i was about to get the Note, comes the One X. Please help me out guys. I'm super super confused now.
Feature wise One X has the upper hand, however it still has some UI issues which HTC needs to sought out. It's not a perfect phone But you still get a lot more for the money. Also there are minor screen issues near the edges, also issues like screen banding becoming very common. Apart from that there is browser issues too. Just search HTC one x issues on youtube and you'll see plenty.
Note is excellent phone, much reliable with its Gingerbread platform. Camera is good, no issues with screen and great battery life. If you could carry the size nothing beats it.
I would say get the Note and wait for Galaxy S III. which could come with 4.8-4.9" screen.
I was too pick up one x but got the G.Nexus instead, will wait for the SIII
Here's one such video with screen banding issue on One x

I was too pick up one x but got the G.Nexus.

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th April 2012 at 11:32.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:43   #8511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I would say get the Note and wait for Galaxy S III. which could come with 4.8-4.9" screen. I was too pick up one x but got the G.Nexus instead, will wait for the SIII. I was to pick up one x but got the G.Nexus.
Even I am more inclined towards the Note even though the One X is fab for a lot of reasons.

Advantages of the SG Note:
Bigger Screen
Removable SD Card
Regular SIM vis a vis the Micro SIM in the One X
Samsung's better service network compared to HTC's

Advantages of the One X:
Screen resolution
Better camera
Quad Core Processor
ICS

Still got to see both in my hand together at one time and then decide.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting videos and an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our small screen & mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th April 2012 at 11:49. Reason: quote tag's fixed
Old 10th April 2012, 12:17   #8512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Advantages of the One X:
Screen resolution
Better camera
Quad Core Processor
ICS
Both phone comes with 720p display resolution. The difference will be in dpi. One x will have higher compared to Note due to slightly smaller screen size. One x uses Gorilla2 glass, its more flexible compared to their Gorilla1 glass.
Pictures on One x is said to have slight bluish tint compared to the Note.
ICS is overlayed with their Sense 4 UI which uses quite a lot of Ram.
Display on OneX itself has few design flaws, that cannot be rectified. For a smartphone with bigger display size, display itself is single most important factor. Even though the pictures on S.Lcd looks slightly sharper and colors are more saturated compared to S.Amoled HD screen, though not much.
Samsung will release ICS for Note.

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th April 2012 at 12:19.
Old 10th April 2012, 16:22   #8513
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded from Class-4 SD card to Class-10.

The whole process took less than 10 minutes - here are the steps I followed:

1) Took Nandroid Backup - about 170 seconds.
2) Copied the entire FAT32 partition of SD card to PC (Nandroid backup also gets copied along with all data like pics & videos)
3) While the above copy was in progress, I formatted the new SD card in phone using 4EXT recovery. 1 GB ext4 sd-ext, 256 MB swap and rest in a FAT32 partition, perfectly aligned.
4) After the format, inserted the new card in PC and copied all the content from previous FAT32 to the new one.
5) Inserted the card in Phone, and performed a restore, rebooted phone.

Phone was back in action with everything preserved. Some performance boosts observed are

1) Boot up time of phone reduced significantly
2) Gallery loads faster, new thumbnails load faster
3) 720p Videos start playing without any jitter.
4) Google maps loads the tile cache much much faster.
5) Time for taking further Nandroid backups reduced

Last edited by clevermax : 10th April 2012 at 16:37.
Old 10th April 2012, 16:44   #8514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Upgraded from Class-4 SD card to Class-10.

The whole process took less than 10 minutes - here are the steps I followed:

1) Took Nandroid Backup - about 170 seconds.
2) Copied the entire FAT32 partition of SD card to PC (Nandroid backup also gets copied along with all data like pics & videos)
3) While the above copy was in progress, I formatted the new SD card in phone using 4EXT recovery. 1 GB ext4 sd-ext, 256 MB swap and rest in a FAT32 partition, perfectly aligned.
4) After the format, inserted the new card in PC and copied all the content from previous FAT32 to the new one.
5) Inserted the card in Phone, and performed a restore, rebooted phone.

Phone was back in action with everything preserved. Some performance boosts observed are

1) Boot up time of phone reduced significantly
2) Gallery loads faster, new thumbnails load faster
3) 720p Videos start playing without any jitter.
4) Google maps loads the tile cache much much faster.
5) Time for taking further Nandroid backups reduced

Hi,

Was this an internal SD card that you changed or external?
Old 10th April 2012, 17:05   #8515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Hi,
Was this an internal SD card that you changed or external?
My phone has only one SD card slot - that is inside the back cover and I have to pull battery in order to access it. Since my phone is notorious for its lack of internal apps storage space, I use a 1GB ext4 partition in my SD card for storing apps, the phone is tricked to believe that it is internal memory by something called A2SD+. It is not the same as simply moving apps to SD card from the manage applications screen.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th April 2012 at 17:07.
Old 10th April 2012, 23:00   #8516
Senior - BHPian

So I am on ICS now.. with a phone that was considered non-compatible with ICS.

Flashed the MIUI-Au ICS version just now on stock hboot. Still to test features and performance.

Name:  Screenshot_20120410223534.png
Views: 443
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20120410230659.png
Views: 492
Size:  443.6 KB

Those who are updating their Nexus-S to ICS via the OTA update, please be prepared to experience slowness - ICS as it is provided now on Nexus S is slow. Used my colleagues Nexus S for a while today and it is definitely slower than previous GB.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th April 2012 at 23:08.
Old 11th April 2012, 00:08   #8517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
So I am on ICS now.. with a phone that was considered non-compatible with ICS.

Flashed the MIUI-Au ICS version just now on stock hboot. Still to test features and performance.

Those who are updating their Nexus-S to ICS via the OTA update, please be prepared to experience slowness - ICS as it is provided now on Nexus S is slow. Used my colleagues Nexus S for a while today and it is definitely slower than previous GB.
No way dear, my Nexus S is running as fast as ever and a lot smoother. It's been two days now and battery too is as good as ever if not better. Again...nothing can beat the stock Android experience. ICS is sooooo smooth.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:11   #8518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
No way dear, my Nexus S is running as fast as ever and a lot smoother. It's been two days now and battery too is as good as ever if not better. Again...nothing can beat the stock Android experience. ICS is sooooo smooth.
Surprised to hear that you feel that ICS on Nexus S is smoother and faster than earlier GB on Nexus S. I was using a Nexus S (ICS) phone just now. It is definitely not as snappier and smoother as it used to be with Gingerbread. Even the user of the phone (my colleague) says he finds it laggy and not so smooth compared to earlier Android version.

My Desire on ICS is also not very smooth and fast compared to my previous CM7.1. The phone used to fly with CM7.1, but now it is just cruising on a road
Having said that, I am loving the ICS MIUI experience so far. Discovering new tiny features and usability enhancements throughout. Battery usage is surprisingly lower. I flashed ICS just to check whether my phone can run it - going back to GB after a day anyway.

Let's accept it - ICS is not really made for phones like ours. Or it still has to got to get optimizations in the code, especially in the graphics side, so as to enable it to run smoother and faster on older warhorses like Nexus S. MIUI ICS folks tell that they will release minor versions of MIUI ICS as and when Google updates ICS with more hardware acceleration fixes and improvements.

I disagree on the point that nothing can beat 'stock' Android experience. You've got to taste some good custom ROMs to understand that. Some custom firmwares takes performance to a new level, some are eye candy, some are packed with more features & widgets (HTC Sense for eg.) There are a lot of things that custom firmwares offer on top of a stock Android.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th April 2012 at 11:26.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:17   #8519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Guys,

Today my Neo V started acting really weird. The screen is receiving touch inputs without me doing anything. I downloaded this app Dotty (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JyeS5kb3R0eSJd) to see what's happening with the screen.

This app confirms that the screen is getting random touch everywhere on the screen. This started happening suddenly today afternoon. It was running a custom ROM, I flashed the stock ROM back but still same issue. Any ideas what is happening here?
I had this issue once when I used a different charger. Some cheap Micro USB charger lying around. But it was solved after removing the charger and a restart. Also, do check for the scratch guard, if you have one. Some scratch guards do make such issues.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:04   #8520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I had this issue once when I used a different charger. Some cheap Micro USB charger lying around. But it was solved after removing the charger and a restart. Also, do check for the scratch guard, if you have one. Some scratch guards do make such issues.
I do have two different chargers (one SE and other Dell). Sometimes I charge the phone using USB too. I'll try next few days only with SE charger and see if it improves.

The scratch guard has been on the phone since day one. Suddenly day before yesterday this problem surfaced.

BTW I found the exact problem area. There are two horizontal strips on the screen which do not respond to touch. One is at the center of the screen and the other at the bottom. This creates problem in scrolling also.

Anyways, I've restored my Neo V to factory settings (locked bootloader again, unrooted the phone and flashed stock ROM). If the issue doesn't go away in few days, I'll take it to service center.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks