Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 17:38   #8536
BANNED

Galaxy s2 price dropped !

Hi All,

Flipkart has dropped samsung galaxy s2's price by 3000 to 27900,so does that mean that S3 launch is expected shortly??

advice and info please

Last edited by joshguy : 11th April 2012 at 17:38. Reason: price
Old 11th April 2012, 18:24   #8537
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All,

Flipkart has dropped samsung galaxy s2's price by 3000 to 27900,so does that mean that S3 launch is expected shortly??

advice and info please
It will launch on May 22nd. no idea when it will land on our shores

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
By the way, I'm not averse to paying the TB guy, just averse to paying for any software on Android right now.

And then people wonder why android apps arent "polished" and how iphone is the best thing in the smartphone world.
As an IT guy you should know how much work goes into developing an app.i'm an IT guy too. and i know it isn't an easy task,why develop if people are not willing to pay because its "Android" and expect everything for free?

And i've been hearing this "polished" jargon for a long time now? what are you referring to exactly? that the icons are not as shiny as the ones on the iphone?Gingerbread is glitch free on almost every device right now and ICS is butter smooth compared to every alternative smartphone OS. or is it that iphone apps work completely differently than the ones on android? (last time i checked they were exactly the same).

Frankly if you call yourself a linux guy and think that supporting the Android developers isnt worth your money. you might as switch to an iphone . because you are in the wrong section .

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2012 at 13:38. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 11th April 2012, 19:13   #8538
BANNED

Re: Galaxy s2 price dropped !

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All,

advice and info please
Actually it is a I1900G no I9100 so it is of no use to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
It will launch on May 22nd. no idea when it will land on our shores
Thank u

BTW i am waiting for S3 to be launched and based on the pricing i would choose between S2 or S3
Old 11th April 2012, 21:16   #8539
BHPian

Sony S launched. Here in mumbai checked price to be 30600 at retailer. Mrp on website is 32549. Sad 2 months back I upgraded to SE PRO. Now I have to wait till launch of sony ion. Has anybody got information about SONY ION launch?
Old 11th April 2012, 22:04   #8540
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
3. I buy Apple devices, because overall the devices are neat, great to show off, and the software is beautifully integrated to the hardware.
I would say apps are more custom made to fit into the rigid iOS, than 'integrated'. Android architecture offer more possibilities for integrating apps nicely with each other and with the OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I wouldn't mind paying out to a developer who's app had seriously made a difference, say the TB guy, or the aCar guy.
Just saying, not pointing fingers.
except this one

Quote:
By the way, I'm not averse to paying the TB guy, just averse to paying for any software on Android right now.
This is what it is, for now for me, and I guess, would change as time goes by, as the platform matures further.
When I decide that it is good enough to pay for, I will!
I do donate, by the way.
:-)
Quote:
And then people wonder why android apps arent "polished" and how iphone is the best thing in the smartphone world.
As an IT guy you should know how much work goes into developing an app.i'm an IT guy too. and i know it isn't an easy task,why develop if people are not willing to pay because its "Android" and expect everything for free?

And i've been hearing this "polished" jargon for a long time now? what are you referring to exactly? that the icons are not as shiny as the ones on the iphone?Gingerbread is glitch free on almost every device right now and ICS is butter smooth compared to every alternative smartphone OS. or is it that iphone apps work completely differently than the ones on android? (last time i checked they were exactly the same).

Frankly if you call yourself a linux guy and think that supporting the Android developers isnt worth your money. you might as switch to an iphone . because you are in the wrong section .
I am an IT guy too, and I know very well the hard work and struggle which goes into making a successful app like TB. I am all for paying few bucks (not even a small percentage of most of our daily incomes) to an Android developer or an iPhone developer, who makes brilliant apps which I find most useful. There's no need to turn away from paid apps because it is supposed to run on Android platform. In fact, it is much better to buy a cheaper Android than an iPhone and pay a small portion from the money you saved for some good apps.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th April 2012 at 22:06.
Old 11th April 2012, 22:23   #8541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Planning to get the Motorola Atrix 2. I want to make use of the high speed internet access (3G? 4G?) as well. My concerns are how good is the motorola service network in india. and also anybody knows of any existing issue in long term ownerships?

PS: not really interested interested in Samsung or HTC as they have become too common.

Edit: also in terms of memory card I would like to go for a minimum 16gb card. I am not able to understand class 10 or class 4 etc. any help?
buy class 10. and google it up later.

motorola's service network is problem-free. Their staff is decent (but remember its the chaff that circulates among all dealers sooner or later). I had to use them lately and they were GOOD - touchscreen replaced in 20 min flat and is still waterproof! Of course, if you do manage to do something stupid - like soft-brick your phone doing some silly hacking attempt then all bets are off (because their rather limited skillsets will be challenged). A BHPian did so, and still got a warranty replacement on motherboard (albeit after a week of delay since wrranty claim was there). So no real concerns on that account.

EDIT: oye roy - I have spent almost 4k on android software till date

Last edited by phamilyman : 11th April 2012 at 22:24.
Old 11th April 2012, 23:10   #8542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
No way dear, my Nexus S is running as fast as ever and a lot smoother. It's been two days now and battery too is as good as ever if not better. Again...nothing can beat the stock Android experience. ICS is sooooo smooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
My nexus s is fastest ever now, on ICS. This is after 4.0.4 update. All stock, unrooted. Have 45 apps installed and not a single reboot till now.
Guys, I saw couple more Nexus S phones with ICS update today.
I want to correct my previous general statement that ICS on Nexus S is slow - their phones were really smooth and fast. So the first phone I played with seem to have some sort of issues.

By the way, I have bid good bye to the slow MIUI-Au ICS and flashed this:

[BETA 0.5.3][07.04] ICS for Desire[ALL HBOOTS][4.0.4] - xda-developers

Guess what, this ROM is smooth and fast! There are couple of known issues though, but this CAN be a daily driver.
Old 12th April 2012, 01:18   #8543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Guys, I saw couple more Nexus S phones with ICS update today.
I want to correct my previous general statement that ICS on Nexus S is slow - their phones were really smooth and fast. So the first phone I played with seem to have some sort of issues.
The first batch of Nexus S updates were slow and had battery related problems.Google stopped the updates and then resumed at a later date with all fixes in place. your friend must belong to the first batch. tell him to search for updates.

And MIUI isnt a must-have anymore. ICS is quite functional and has plenty of eye candy too.
Old 12th April 2012, 03:53   #8544
Senior - BHPian

And as far as I am concerned, I am simply fed up with ICS - be it the crawling slow progress in stabilization of the ROM (still no HWA), or the fact that apps simply close by themselves, some camcorder apps don't work. Will go back to a stable GB ROM sometime this week.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:14   #8545
BHPian

A question to guys who picked up Atrix 2 from India. Could you please confirm the model being sold here is 4G LTE enabled? Why I am asking is because, HTC One X which is released in India doesn't seem to be LTE enabled and only the dual core US model is having LTE HW. A bit concerned since India will be soon on 4G and Airtel started launching their 4G network. Prices seems to be comparable to 3G and at the claimed speed of 40Mbps on mobility, LTE seems to be a necessity rather than a nice-to-have feature
Old 12th April 2012, 10:01   #8546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't say this, you did!

Quote:
Gingerbread is glitch free on almost every device right now and ICS is butter smooth compared to every alternative smartphone OS.
No it is not! I faced huge problems with various GB ROMs including the stock one. Had to reboot the device 2-3 times a day on average, and had 10+ FC's each day.
ICS looks to be way better and, at least on my device, more stable.

Quote:
Frankly if you call yourself a linux guy and think that supporting the Android developers isnt worth your money.
Until the Devs can guarantee that an App that I end up buying will continue to work on every Android device I move into, I'm not buying. Who guarantees that malware isn't part of the code? So yes, they are not worth my money yet!

Quote:
you might as switch to an iphone . because you are in the wrong section .
Thanks, but I will make my own decision.

Quote:
I would say apps are more custom made to fit into the rigid iOS, than 'integrated'. Android architecture offer more possibilities for integrating apps nicely with each other and with the OS.
True Android gives a lot of flexibility, but then the wide range of devices that need to be supported also mean that something works somewhere, but not elsewhere.
For example, I bought my iPod Touch after I bought my iPad. Every single App, that I had Free or Purchased on my iPad worked on the Touch straightaway. I faced ZERO issues there.
That is not the case with Android Apps yet, if I were to switch devices, is it?

Quote:
I am an IT guy too, and I know very well the hard work and struggle which goes into making a successful app like TB. I am all for paying few bucks (not even a small percentage of most of our daily incomes) to an Android developer or an iPhone developer, who makes brilliant apps which I find most useful. There's no need to turn away from paid apps because it is supposed to run on Android platform. In fact, it is much better to buy a cheaper Android than an iPhone and pay a small portion from the money you saved for some good apps.
So, for now I just "Donate" to the Android Devs. who keep coming out with new and better ROMs. In my view there is a huge difference between Donate and Paying for an App. With Donate, I have the ability to put a value on the work someone has done, so I am more amenable to living with it's quirks and faults.
However, with Apps, the underlying motive is Profit. So, if an App ain't guaranteed Secure, Scalable and Backward/Forward Compatible, I would not pay for it. After all Function isn't everything!
As I said earlier, things are getting better in Android, by the day, so who knows if I start buying at some point of time in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
EDIT: oye roy - I have spent almost 4k on android software till date
:-) I guessed as much Hitanshu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
And as far as I am concerned, I am simply fed up with ICS -
I'm actually finding ICS better on my lazy phone, than either the stock GB or the various GB ROMs I tried out. True that the camera doesn't work yet, but everything else does! And, it is faster, smoother and looks better. Till date (2 days now) I have not yet had a Force Close, and I used to have 8-10 FC's / day on the CM7.2 that I was running earlier.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:05   #8547
Team-BHP Support

How is the HTC One V?? seems to me as a VFM handset and it comes with ICS. Going at around 17k INR is what i have heard.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:19   #8548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm actually finding ICS better on my lazy phone, than either the stock GB or the various GB ROMs I tried out. True that the camera doesn't work yet, but everything else does! And, it is faster, smoother and looks better. Till date (2 days now) I have not yet had a Force Close, and I used to have 8-10 FC's / day on the CM7.2 that I was running earlier.
Unfortunately I am finding ICS to be not so smooth and fast in my Desire. It is okay but CM7.1 was much better in my phone. I think this is majorly because I am using A2SD and sd card stores the apps, data & dalvik cache. I can't put everything on phone storage due to the serious lack of space in internal memory.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:50   #8549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
also in terms of memory card I would like to go for a minimum 16gb card. I am not able to understand class 10 or class 4 etc. any help?
I bought a 16gb memory card along with my phone from Univercell. It cost me 1.5k. Was a bit taken back since flipkart retails a 16gb card for around 600-700 bucks (link). Only later on googling did i realize that i had bought a class 10 and the prices on flipkart which i have mentioned are for class 4 cards.

Here is an explanation for the same and a post (Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods) which lists some real world benefits.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:04   #8550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
A question to guys who picked up Atrix 2 from India. Could you please confirm the model being sold here is 4G LTE enabled? Why I am asking is because, HTC One X which is released in India doesn't seem to be LTE enabled and only the dual core US model is having LTE HW. A bit concerned since India will be soon on 4G and Airtel started launching their 4G network. Prices seems to be comparable to 3G and at the claimed speed of 40Mbps on mobility, LTE seems to be a necessity rather than a nice-to-have feature
Nope, there's no 4G on the Atrix 2 here in India. The 4G model is called the Atrix 4G and it is not available out here.

Most Viewed