Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 07:23   #8836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
oh damn, i came online only to tell you to consider XperiaS if u havent. a friend tried both head to head and bought the sony.

and no he's not a sony fanboy.
Thanks may be i'll buy it then! I too heard good reviews about the Sony.
Old 30th April 2012, 08:58   #8837
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Opera mini is the best mobile browser for browsing contents as far as speed and memory foot print is concerned because of its unique feature of compressing images before downloading it to phone using a proxy server.

If you want to use the ajax features of a website Dolphin HD browser is the leader.
Somehow I have been unable to get friendly with Opera even on my desktop. Gave it up after about six months ages ago. What is Ajax? I have absolutely no idea.
Old 30th April 2012, 09:48   #8838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Somehow I have been unable to get friendly with Opera even on my desktop.
Gave it up after about six months ages ago
On the PC, there is just one browser that I use, and that's Google Chrome. The speed, simplicity and design of google chrome is unmatched.

But, when it comes to mobile browsing, where the connection speed depends on the place we are on, the priority changes. I'll explain why Opera mini is by far the best mobile browser.

1) As I mentioned before, Opera mini has an option to reduce the quality of images ( Low, Medium and Good ). I always set it as low on opera mini. This leads to scaling down and reducing the quality of images before it's downloaded into the phone. What this means is 2 to 3 times more speed than any other browser. Image quality doesn't feel bad as well because you are viewing it on a small screen anyway.

2) Due to the intelligent compression of data before it's retrieved, it also translates into bandwidth savings. For example, a website which might normally cost you 500 kb on any other browser will cost you only around 150 kb bandwidth on opera mini!

3) The same design also means that your phone's RAM is less filled and for the same reason, the phone doesn't slow down even if you open 10 plus tabs in the browser. So, this translates into improved user interface performance.

4) Lesser load for the processor and lesser bandwidth transfer means your battery stays longer.

5) In addition to all this, the tabbed browsing interface of opera is the most innovative and easy to manage in a screen as small as in that of a mobile phone.

6) The above 5 points are unique only to opera mini. The speed dial feature which was first introduced by opera mini is now copied by almost all browsers.

Change is always difficult. But, if you haven't used opera mini, I would highly recommend that you give it a shot. Don't forget to change the settings of images to low quality from inside the browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
. What is Ajax? I have absolutely no idea.
AJAX is the art of exchanging data with a server, and updating parts of a web page - without reloading the whole page. One of the first websites to use the power of ajax is gmail.

But, when you want to read news and articles, ajax doesn't make much of a sense on a mobile environment because you simply don't have the time to wait for the initial delay of ajax driven websites. Even in the case of email, it doesn't make any sense on mobile because what matters is the initial time taken for loading. And for the same reason, the mobile interface for gmail doesn't use ajax.

But, when it's something like banking or any other production application, we might not have any other choice but to use those features. In such a case, the dolphin and the default android browser is any day better than opera mini. Because, that's not what opera mini is designed to do.

But, for normal browsing, opera mini blows you away.

Last edited by amalji : 30th April 2012 at 10:01.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:22   #8839
BHPian

Did anyone of you owning Sony Ericsson upgraded to Android ICS? How is the performance of phone? I think Sony, in a way, still recommends to stay with Gingerbread due to performance issues.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:58   #8840
BHPian

This is to all those who have installed ICICI Bank iMobile application and State Bank Freedom application on their Android phones.. Are these applications installed only on phone memory by default and not on memory cards? Can we move these applications to memory cards? Need suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 30th April 2012 at 13:11.
Old 30th April 2012, 16:09   #8841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Did anyone of you owning Sony Ericsson upgraded to Android ICS? How is the performance of phone? I think Sony, in a way, still recommends to stay with Gingerbread due to performance issues.
As per my bro's review after upgrading the Sony Neo V to ICS

immediate changes noticed is the task menu showing running programs,the gallery tile view,smoother UI,lesser memory consumption,fonts change!
the start up shows only ' SONY' and 'XPERIA' and nothing about ericsson anymore!the rest of the menu doesn't show much of a difference in appearance!

the negatives is the 5 widget arrangement on home screen.should have been 4 for a 3.7' screen!!

battery life improment present along with better RAM management.

there is some lag when lot number of apps are opened at a time but for normal operations its butter smooth!
Old 30th April 2012, 16:13   #8842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) As I mentioned before, Opera mini has an option to reduce the quality of images ( Low, Medium and Good ). I always set it as low on opera mini. This leads to scaling down and reducing the quality of images before it's downloaded into the phone. What this means is 2 to 3 times more speed than any other browser. Image quality doesn't feel bad as well because you are viewing it on a small screen anyway.

2) Due to the intelligent compression of data before it's retrieved, it also translates into bandwidth savings. For example, a website which might normally cost you 500 kb on any other browser will cost you only around 150 kb bandwidth on opera mini!
Opera Mobile also has the same feature, scaling down images & their quality. It is called Opera Turbo. Since this is a full fledged browser, we have best of both worlds in it - speed and full page view in a limited b/w connection.

I just wish that it had the option to set the user agent to Android. It currently has Desktop & a generic Mobile user agents.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th April 2012 at 16:19.
Old 30th April 2012, 16:31   #8843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Opera Mobile also has the same feature, scaling down images & their quality. It is called Opera Turbo. Since this is a full fledged browser, we have best of both worlds in it - speed and full page view in a limited b/w connection.

I just wish that it had the option to set the user agent to Android. It currently has Desktop & a generic Mobile user agents.
While opera mobile does have the turbo option, it's still not as fast as opera mini because of the following reasons.

1) The compression is not as high as in opera mini ( which is mentioned on the product description of Opera mobile on Play store )

2) It loads the flash content of websites and hence causes a memory hog.

I would say that opera mobile is more suited to wifi and 3g and when you have a power source nearby ( even when you have the turbo set to ON. Opera mini is the best, when it comes to slow network and battery conservative mode. Moreover most websites recognize operamini as a mobile browser and serves appropriate contents automatically.

In the case of Opera mobile, some websites recognize it as a full fledged browser, which makes it serve the full content making the website slow. But, it can be useful as well at times when we need to review the looks of a full fledged website.

Last edited by amalji : 30th April 2012 at 16:37.
Old 30th April 2012, 16:44   #8844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Hi phamilyman what phone were you using? I was using the notorious HTC Sensation and screen was ON all the time (and brightness set to Auto).
Defy - Screen on - medium.
Old 30th April 2012, 17:14   #8845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the case of Opera mobile, some websites recognize it as a full fledged browser, which makes it serve the full content making the website slow. But, it can be useful as well at times when we need to review the looks of a full fledged website.
You can always set the user agent in Opera Mobile to "Mobile", so any site that can serve a mobile page will serve it, instead of a full fledged page.

I have EDGE and I find Opera Mobile reasonably fast, faster than stock browser of course. I was using Opera Mini in my older feature phone.
Old 30th April 2012, 17:22   #8846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
You can always set the user agent in Opera Mobile to "Mobile", so any site that can serve a mobile page will serve it, instead of a full fledged page.

I have EDGE and I find Opera Mobile reasonably fast, faster than stock browser of course. I was using Opera Mini in my older feature phone.
1) Even after you set the user agent to mobile, some websites ( like BBC for example ) detects it as a normal browser.

2) Opera Mobile is surely faster than the stock browser. But, the speed of opera mini is amazing and is the best.
Old 1st May 2012, 02:56   #8847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
With due respect, N_A is pretty much the ONLY chap out of 50+ BHPians who have the Defy/Defy+ who had such issues.
This is what happens in a public forum. There are always some people who cannot evaluate their choices and then they feel bad. Nothing personal against N_A.

At 15k, the defy+ is a GREAT phone, but if you are dumb and download a lot of crap, it is as bad as the 3.4k spice I have. Yeah, it too reboots once in a day or two. But 50 times a day takes the cake. It won't help even if you have a 50k phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
@esteem lover - I am using the leather flip cover for the phone. is it still going to pose a risk to the display of the phone?
That is a solid cover, but I don't think it can help your screen (at least that is what I believe). There is a lot of pressure on the screen(phone) when we slot it onto tight pants/jeans and that could prove fatal for these touch screens, no matter if they are locked or not.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:36   #8848
BHPian

Re: 'Divert Activated' on P500?

I am getting the 'Divert Activated' message after i call any number on P500 these days. The call goes through fine, but the message is annoying. Is there anyway to remove this message?

Please help!
Old 1st May 2012, 07:43   #8849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
This is what happens in a public forum. There are always some people who cannot evaluate their choices and then they feel bad. Nothing personal against N_A.
Uh no. In his case - it was a hardware issue with the screen going wonky. Not right to blame him for that.

Speaking of reboots, had my first random reboot with WIUI yesterday. the cam hung and then suddenly the splash screen came up!
Old 1st May 2012, 10:04   #8850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru
I am getting the 'Divert Activated' message after i call any number on P500 these days. The call goes through fine, but the message is annoying. Is there anyway to remove this message?

Please help!
You might be having missed call notification enabled. This is actually a forwarding which is shown everytime you place a call. Either deactivate it or stay with the notification.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks