Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 15:36   #8956
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
Which android version the phone came loaded with out of the box? Was it gingerbread or foryo, i am confused on this part as the samsung website says foryo and flipkart/gsmarena says that it comes with gingerbread now. Since i am thinking of buying one, your clearence on this part would be of great help.
You'll get it with gingerbread
Old 6th May 2012, 20:45   #8957
Distinguished - BHPian

Can I use a stylus with my Defy+? Swype is wonderful, but still my fingertips are a bit big.

Any recommendations?
Old 6th May 2012, 21:01   #8958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can I use a stylus with my Defy+? Swype is wonderful, but still my fingertips are a bit big.

Any recommendations?
I have an LG Optimus, and i too felt that Swype was great when I bought the phone. But to be frank, I realized that regular typing is much faster, specially for people who are used to typing on a regular keyboard. I now use my phone with swype disabled, that makes the phone a much nicer one to use, combined with predective text.
Old 6th May 2012, 21:27   #8959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Any recommendations?
Use the keyboard in portrait mode?

Anyway you need a capacitive stylus. look around on ebay. you get what you pay for.
Old 6th May 2012, 21:58   #8960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post

Which android version the phone came loaded with out of the box? Was it gingerbread or foryo, i am confused on this part as the samsung website says foryo and flipkart/gsmarena says that it comes with gingerbread now. Since i am thinking of buying one, your clearence on this part would be of great help.
Its GB 2.3.4. Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 6th May 2012, 22:08   #8961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I have an LG Optimus, and i too felt that Swype was great when I bought the phone. But to be frank, I realized that regular typing is much faster, specially for people who are used to typing on a regular keyboard. I now use my phone with swype disabled, that makes the phone a much nicer one to use, combined with predective text.
I don't know how our phone screens compare in size, but I don't think regular typing will work so well for me. When I have to key in a new name, for instance, it is pretty tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Use the keyboard in portrait mode?

Anyway you need a capacitive stylus. look around on ebay. you get what you pay for.

Portrait-mode typing is impossible on the fairly small Defy. I tried this, before I realised I was being really stupid and only had to turn the phone 90 degrees!
Old 6th May 2012, 22:27   #8962
Senior - BHPian

Thad my man.

Have you tried out SwiftkeyX?

Remember millions of people use the iphone keyboard in portrait mode. So its not you,its the keyboard.

Try out the free or if u can do a bit of effort, register on their vip forum and get the beta version. Absolutely most brilliant software ever for android, IMNSHO!
Old 6th May 2012, 22:54   #8963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Just wait for a couple of months if you can. Sony is coming with a peach of a device that is definitely better than OneX/S3. 13MP camera, 2200mAH battery, 7mm profile
Hey Jo,

Any further info on this? I thought the S was their flagship product in the NXT series.
Old 7th May 2012, 00:37   #8964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thad my man.

Have you tried out SwiftkeyX?
I think you or another member recommended this before? Most of the time, I actually find Swype fine, and if I took a stylus out of the house I'd loose it the same day --- just, for home, it would be a luxury.

Using the keypad at all also depends on if my fingers are sweaty. That makes them stick. Yuck, you didn't want to know that . There seems to be a just-right smooth-and-silky finger state...
Old 7th May 2012, 01:47   #8965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Hey Jo,

Any further info on this? I thought the S was their flagship product in the NXT series.
Right now it is known as Sony Hayabusa (what a strange name). I think when it comes to market they will name it differently.

Yes S is the flagship right now. It is also a very good phone.
Old 7th May 2012, 02:09   #8966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I never knew about it. Thanks for sharing the info about Dell Streak.

Regardless, there are many 'reasons' to upgrade to a Note from any other smart phone.

But, with S3, I couldn't find a single reason other than gaming. It's all the same with better hardware which is not even needed in the first place. Battery technology is lagging far behind and that's one area I'm looking for an improvement. Until then, these new powerful hardwares and numerical naming conventions which gives a pseudo upgrade feeling like S1, S2 and S3 are just marketing gimmick adding no utility to the phone as such.

They all run android and android runs perfectly fast on any 1GHz processor if bloatware is not used.
Earlier this year, I was in a dilemma whether to buy a Note or wait for S3.

Then I decided to go with the Note for the following reasons:

1. Note has a very good GPS (with Glonass Russian Satellite support) that makes it lock with upto 17 Sats with upto 10 Meter accuracy and gets Satellite locks in seconds.

That makes Note's GPS capabilities on par or better than even the standalone GPS units available.
Its GPS capabilities coupled with the large 5.3 Inch screen of Note makes it a very practical GPS unit to use in a Car. I got the Samsung OEM GPS mount for Note that automatically puts the phone to Car mode and the display doesn't time out while driving.

2. I was apprehensive that the S3's Quad core processor could be more power hungry than the Note's Dual core so may require relatively more frequent charging.
Note's 2500 mAH battery is quite good.

Also the fact that the current applications are not yet geared to really utilize the quad core processors and it will take atleast quite some time in the future before that happens.

3. Although the Note's size looks intimidating, its cool once you start using it and you actually start liking the size and the large display. Also the S-Pen feature is quite nice to have.

Now that the S3 is out, I'm happy with my decision to go with the Note for my needs.
Old 7th May 2012, 08:39   #8967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
IMNSHO!
IN My Not So HOnest Opinion?

Infact, even I like the Galaxy Note..lets wait and see..Defy has not bored me yet!
Old 7th May 2012, 12:58   #8968
Team-BHP Support

Samsung Smart App Challenge 2012
SAMSUNG SMART APP CHALLENGE 2012

Quote:
This contest offers $4.08 million in cash prizes and mega marketing support for app promotion to the top 80 apps including 60 Samsung Apps Super Apps and 20 Best S Pen Apps featuring the most creative GALAXY Note Stylus Pen (S Pen) functions.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:32   #8969
BHPian

Cheapest dual core phone from sony.WIN!

Sony Xperia U: a faster smartphone for just Rs 16,499 | Firstpost
Old 7th May 2012, 14:02   #8970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
8GB non-expandable memory and 512MB RAM makes it rude
Dual core on this feels like the processor will have lot of free time