Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 13:53   #9106
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I am also waiting for Xperia Sola and Galaxy Advance.
Xperia Sola available for pre-order: Sony Xperia Sola - Buy Online in India for Rs.19,999 as on 16th May 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
Old 16th May 2012, 15:01   #9107
BHPian

I am looking for an andriod phone and have following requirements, please suggest/share your opinion -

Preferably Android 3.0 or higher
At least 16 GB storage
1 GB RAM (Can live with 512MB if other criteria are satisfied)
Touch phone
I guess GPS comes with all new phones??
Good camera (5MP+)
Nice to have - HD recording
Good display resolution
Budget - @25k+ (Can be extended if I really like the phone)
Good handling (Should feel good in hands, sorry I know this is a subjective requirement!!)

I checked Samsung Galaxy SII and Galaxy Note. SII now fits into budget (@25k), I found note a bit too big to handle as a phone. THough, SII lloks plasticky and feel is not as good as one wants to be.
I also checked HTC OneX but it seems too costly (@33k). Do I have any other good options in HTC?
iPhone 4S at 44.5k is too costly for me. I have an iPad so it would have been good to have the iPhone as well. I also considered the iPhone 3GS but then I don't want to buy a phone that is not really the latest.
I am not looking for anything beyond Samsung or HTC at the moment.
Old 16th May 2012, 15:47   #9108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I am looking for an andriod phone and have following requirements, please suggest/share your opinion -

Preferably Android 3.0 or higher
At least 16 GB storage
1 GB RAM (Can live with 512MB if other criteria are satisfied)
Touch phone
I guess GPS comes with all new phones??
Good camera (5MP+)
Nice to have - HD recording
Good display resolution
Budget - @25k+ (Can be extended if I really like the phone)
Good handling (Should feel good in hands, sorry I know this is a subjective requirement!!)
MOTOROLA DEFY, WATERPROOF, Can run Android 4.0x, Am not so sure of HD recording, Has > 1GB RAM, Can use 32GB SD Card and is FAST with good battery life and an array of ROMS to play with.

Quote:
I am not looking for anything beyond Samsung or HTC at the moment.
Maybe you should look at the DEFY - Many TBHPians have it!
Old 16th May 2012, 15:52   #9109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
MOTOROLA DEFY, WATERPROOF, Can run Android 4.0x, Am not so sure of HD recording, Has > 1GB RAM, Can use 32GB SD Card and is FAST with good battery life and an array of ROMS to play with.
Good point! I forgot to mention about good battery. I heard Samsung phone battery doesnot last more than day to day and half if used fairly often.

I am checking Motorola Defy now!! Thanks!!
Old 16th May 2012, 16:05   #9110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Good point! I forgot to mention about good battery. I heard Samsung phone battery doesnot last more than day to day and half if used fairly often.

I am checking Motorola Defy now!! Thanks!!
Please note, There is no official ICS for Defy, forget ICS, it does not even have Gingerbread (Android 2.3) upgrade. If you do not want to "Tinker" your software this is not for you.

P.S: I own a Defy, Its rooted, Customized, murdered and what not. Its an amazing phone if you are experimental.
Old 16th May 2012, 16:20   #9111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Please note, There is no official ICS for Defy, forget ICS, it does not even have Gingerbread (Android 2.3) upgrade. If you do not want to "Tinker" your software this is not for you.

P.S: I own a Defy, Its rooted, Customized, murdered and what not. Its an amazing phone if you are experimental.
Yes, I would not really want to tinker with anything on that phone apart from adding/removing apps That is why I mentioned it should have latest OS as far as possible. Gingerbird is still ok, I am not so keen on Ice cream sandwich, though it's a nice to have.

Unfortunately all new OS supported phones comes with lots of added features like quad-core processor, etc which is not really useful for me. 1GB RAM dual core is sufficient. I am not a gaming maniac so won't use much of the gaming functions, once in a while I may use games. Already have iPad which is more than enough.

How is the battery experience on Samsung Galaxy note/SII?
Old 16th May 2012, 17:04   #9112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai

But a slight mistake.. Defy+ comes with gb. Though it doesn't have 1gb ram last I heard.

And dear figopian, there is no phone which comes with android 3.0

Lol but your homework needs some work. You should realize that your budget is good. Don't go by specs. Please touch, feel the phones in question at a croma first. 1gb ram, dual core is good on paper but for god's sakes - you buy the whole experience not the darned specs. Which is why I love recommending the Omnia w

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th May 2012 at 17:07.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:13   #9113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Please note, There is no official ICS for Defy, forget ICS, it does not even have Gingerbread (Android 2.3) upgrade.
Motorola defy+ comes with android 2.3 out of the box:
Motorola Defy Plus: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com
Old 16th May 2012, 17:14   #9114
BHPian

Guys I am also in the need of a new android phone! I own a Samsung Galaxy SL i9003 now. The phone is not bad and has not given me any hang issues, but I need 1gb RAM and a better camera than a 5MP which goes blind after sunset!

S2 completely satisfies my requirements but somehow I am in a dilemma because I love the HTC Sense UI and the over all feel of HTC phones and specially the ONE X. The only thing I am doubtful about though, is the battery back up. Can somebody comment?

The HTC ONE S would have been perfect for me, but it's not available in India. So it has to be S2/ONE X. The S3 and Note are definitely ruled out. S3 looks cheap and has useless features and Note, I feel is too big for daily use. Help

EDIT: Oh I want a bigger screen than 4" too, but the Note is too big

Last edited by Added_flavor : 16th May 2012 at 17:16.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:26   #9115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

And dear figopian, there is no phone which comes with android 3.0
My mistake! Should read 2.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The only thing I am doubtful about though, is the battery back up. Can somebody comment?
Now that's the dilemma. I am assuming HTC battery would be better than Samsung purely based on what I have heard from my friends.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:55   #9116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Motorola defy+ comes with android 2.3 out of the box:
Motorola Defy Plus: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com
Well, I was talking about Defy. Defy+ does have 2.3, Not Defy. And Defy is not available anymore.

Last edited by bond_bhai : 16th May 2012 at 18:00. Reason: -
Old 16th May 2012, 18:27   #9117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor
Guys I am also in the need of a new android phone! I own a Samsung Galaxy SL i9003 now. The phone is not bad and has not given me any hang issues, but I need 1gb RAM and a better camera than a 5MP which goes blind after sunset!

S2 completely satisfies my requirements but somehow I am in a dilemma because I love the HTC Sense UI and the over all feel of HTC phones and specially the ONE X. The only thing I am doubtful about though, is the battery back up. Can somebody comment?

The HTC ONE S would have been perfect for me, but it's not available in India. So it has to be S2/ONE X. The S3 and Note are definitely ruled out. S3 looks cheap and has useless features and Note, I feel is too big for daily use. Help

EDIT: Oh I want a bigger screen than 4" too, but the Note is too big
If your budget is for onex as well then don't look at anything other than S3. I am changing my opinion, earlier I was disappointed by it but now I think it is simply the best phone out there. Some of the software features r really cool. Even iPhone5 might not be able to match upto it! Apple is gonna find it extremely hard this time.

I played with onex and XperiaS and Sony feels much much faster than onex. HTC's software is crap. Somehow even at quad core it does not feel fast enough! Disappointing.
Old 16th May 2012, 19:12   #9118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx

If your budget is for onex as well then don't look at anything other than S3. I am changing my opinion, earlier I was disappointed by it but now I think it is simply the best phone out there. Some of the software features r really cool. Even iPhone5 might not be able to match upto it! Apple is gonna find it extremely hard this time.

I played with onex and XperiaS and Sony feels much much faster than onex. HTC's software is crap. Somehow even at quad core it does not feel fast enough! Disappointing.
I feel most features/softwares the s3 boasts of are good on paper.

1. Smart eye - for how long will I look at the screen until I don't touch or scroll? In fact this is more load on the battery I feel.

2. S beam - useless until the technology establishes and becomes more common.

3. S voice - GSM already says this feature is disappointing! How frequently do apple users use siri?

Tell me what does samsung bring new to the table? Also, couple with this samsung's crap touch wiz!

It's widely believed and proven that htc sense is the best UI for android! I'm saying this in spite of owning a samsung phone!

EDIT - How could I not mention how classy one x looks and how cheap s3 looks and apparently feels!

Last edited by Added_flavor : 16th May 2012 at 19:14.
Old 16th May 2012, 19:20   #9119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Actually I dont like the looks of the Net and build quality is definitely important. Please tell me whether HTC phones actually last a long time or not because I will be keeping it for a minimum 2-3 years.

P.S: I think Tradus offers the lowest price but they may not provide the headphones.
Dude did you decide on which phone you're going to buy?? I am going to buy my new phone next month and will be watching this purchase closely. Please post a review on whatever phone you finally end up buying!!
Old 16th May 2012, 21:26   #9120
Senior - BHPian

yaar,

I think we android fan boys need to stop over glamorizing the "horsepower" of the S3/1-X/ top end androids. Android as a system needs far more polish. I mean, take a simple example - the multi touch gestures in OSX Lion or iOS. Now THAT rocks.

Infact, the way to switch between programs is fairly painful in android. iPad owners will know what I am talking about.

There is a price for cleverness and out of the box integration / smooth interface (iOS/WP e.g its glanceability). For all of samsung's hardware wizardry (they are the only ones consistently going one/two up above apple every quarter) their touchwiz is such a pathetic excuse of an OS layer. They really need to up the ante on that account now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks