Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 16:04   #9211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa
Guys,

Need inputs, especially from HTC One-X users.

I tried the One-X at Univercell yesterday and was pretty impressed by it. I dont find the need for expandable storage and dont mind the non user replaceable battery either.
Well, I own HTC one x and it has no such issues. Might be one-off devices. Also all the niggles have been fixed with latest update. With killer looks, awesome battery etc. This is an ultimate mobile. No doubt.

I havent faced any issue wrt in-call volume or speakerphone. Did you check the white one?
Old 21st May 2012, 19:12   #9212
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys got the HTC explorer. Its a nice phone. Only that after using the Nokia 5230 I am finding the touch screen a little difficult. Need to get used to it.

As for the HTC I am still trying to get the hang of it. THis is my first android.
Hey congrats!!

Glad you found the Explorer to be good, I too will buy it next month.

So isn't it possible to move any apps to the SD card unless you root the phone?? I was kinda hoping to keep it stock for a few months at least.

And how much space did you manage to free up once you moved some apps to the SD card??
Old 21st May 2012, 21:23   #9213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey congrats!!

So isn't it possible to move any apps to the SD card unless you root the phone?? I was kinda hoping to keep it stock for a few months at least.

And how much space did you manage to free up once you moved some apps to the SD card??
No dude. The sad news is not all apps can be move to the SD card, not even the downloaded ones. For eg. I downloaded the Facebook app and I couldnt find a way to shift it to the SD.

Another thing is I was not able to free up any internal memory because the apps which came with the phone cannot be deleted. I guess it can only be done after rooting the phone. Say, I wanted to remove "Bollywood Hungama" but I just could find the option. I am still 'exploring' though.

Regarding I can say that you can go for it. The UI is very nice and the phone has a premium feel.
Old 21st May 2012, 22:35   #9214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
No dude. The sad news is not all apps can be move to the SD card, not even the downloaded ones. For eg. I downloaded the Facebook app and I couldnt find a way to shift it to the SD.

Another thing is I was not able to free up any internal memory because the apps which came with the phone cannot be deleted. I guess it can only be done after rooting the phone. Say, I wanted to remove "Bollywood Hungama" but I just could find the option. I am still 'exploring' though.

Regarding I can say that you can go for it. The UI is very nice and the phone has a premium feel.

Also you mentioned that the phone saves all downloads to the phone memory. Does this mean I can't download anything bigger than 90MB?? Not just apps but other files as well? ( Like music,videos, etc )
Old 21st May 2012, 22:45   #9215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also you mentioned that the phone saves all downloads to the phone memory. Does this mean I can't download anything bigger than 90MB?? Not just apps but other files as well? ( Like music,videos, etc )
AFAIK the download through internet or bluetooth are stored in the SD card by default. Except for few apps which can't be moved to SD card, all other stuff is downloaded to SD card.
The low to mid range androids have this one issue of low phone storage space, and its very irritating to see the memory full message. Why don't all the manufacturer's give atleast 1gb phone storage.
Old 22nd May 2012, 00:02   #9216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
AFAIK the download through internet or bluetooth are stored in the SD card by default.
This doesnt in my baby android.

@Speed demon. Good point. Have to find out a way. THe experts here may know.
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:22   #9217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham

This doesnt in my baby android.

@Speed demon. Good point. Have to find out a way. THe experts here may know.
Is it so in explorer?
I am sure the downloaded files must be stored in the SD card only... only the installed apps are stored in phone memory. Also from application manager there is provision to move some of the installed apps to SD card.
Please check that also. May not be applicable to default/ system apps
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:32   #9218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Sorry for going OT.
Is there any app or something which locks the SD card to a single phone only? I mean, one should not be able to use the SD card of stolen phone. Not unless without formatting it.
Nowadays as we use hdsc cards with so much capacity, I wonder how to protect my SD card content from missuse.
Hi,

Of course you can, In your phone security options you can encrypt the data on your phone as well as the sd card. You get multiple encryption levels, also You can also set the number of password retries after which the phone would wipe the data on your phone and the SD card.

I did the same on my blackberry so even if someone has my phone he/she wont be able to access the data on it. Phone is usable after wiping and SD card is only usable after reformatting.

BUT as Spider man's uncle said..with greater security comes greater pain.

First the password has to be complex, second it asks for the password when you attach the phone with PC and third the most painful thing, it encrypts and decrypts all the time and makes the phone less responsive.

If you attach the phone with your PC you have to provide the password sometimes twice, once on the phone then on the PC but even then you wont be able to use the content of your phone because it's encrypted, eg. I took a photo from the phone camera then copied it on my PC but it was unusable.
I guess it was only usable by the blackberry application but I did not try that as I am used to copying directly from the SD card.

The phone gets busy encrypting on a whim so when you whip out the phone to turn the flashlight on, in an urgency, you find the blackberry busy clock sign ticking like a time-bomb countdown, and you hear your better half's voice in the background "why are you staring at the phone..switch on the flashlight" and you think to yourself what a wonderful time.

So ultimately I kept the encryption only for the phone and not for the SD card, I moved some important data to the phone memory and I don't really care now if someone has my songs and photographs.

You MUST remember to delete THOSE ahem pics after looking at them as you can always take more.

Gotta go..got an sms. Back to the pain err..security.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:37   #9219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
Well, I own HTC one x and it has no such issues. Might be one-off devices. Also all the niggles have been fixed with latest update. With killer looks, awesome battery etc. This is an ultimate mobile. No doubt.

I havent faced any issue wrt in-call volume or speakerphone. Did you check the white one?
Thanks for the feedback, Anmol; yup, it was the white one that I tried hands-on.

So, You didnt hear any complains from the other-end during a conversation; using the headset. Are you on the stock headset by any chance? Also, can You tell me how much of the 32Gig is user-accessible?

I read xda-developers and find a number of issues posted on the One-X; especially with screen packaging. It looks like HOX manufactured until mid-april had number of issues and that the later ones are much better. Would You mind sharing the start of the serial #.

TIA.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:49   #9220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa

Thanks for the feedback, Anmol; yup, it was the white one that I tried hands
Mine is HT23 April one. I bought the very first batch. And no issues touch wood. The carrier locked HTC sold in UK and other countries have those issues primarily. The update fixed software issues. The stock headphone sounded fine. No issues. I have a sennheiser one which sounds brilliant with my HTC one x. Still if you have any questions you can ask, would be glad to help.

: typing this from HTC one x tbhp app.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:35   #9221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I read xda-developers and find a number of issues posted on the One-X; especially with screen packaging. It looks like HOX manufactured until mid-april had number of issues and that the later ones are much better.
My One X is a HT24A and it is flawless. No issues of any kind. Highly impressed with this phone. Audio via headset is pretty decent.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:49   #9222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Is it so in explorer?
I am sure the downloaded files must be stored in the SD card only... only the installed apps are stored in phone memory. Also from application manager there is provision to move some of the installed apps to SD card.
Please check that also. May not be applicable to default/ system apps
Yes. I have downloaded quite a few apps but only one app (Raging Thunder II) had it mentioned beforehand that it will be stored directly in the SD card. Otherwise all the other apps get stored in the phone. And yes there is a provision to transfer the apps to the SD but still I installed the "appstoSD" application since gives me a notification that a particular app is tranferable to the SD card as soon as the download is done. I have around 55MB of internal space left.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:56   #9223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Anmol; yup, it was the white one that I tried hands-on.

So, You didnt hear any complains from the other-end during a conversation; using the headset. Are you on the stock headset by any chance? Also, can You tell me how much of the 32Gig is user-accessible?

I read xda-developers and find a number of issues posted on the One-X; especially with screen packaging. It looks like HOX manufactured until mid-april had number of issues and that the later ones are much better. Would You mind sharing the start of the serial #.

TIA.
There have been issues reported by users with display, some have received defective handset which were replaced under warranty by HTC.

There is a review done by phonearena that could help to decide to certain extent.
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:15   #9224
BHPian

Quote:
Hey congrats!!

Dear before buying Explorer do check out this latest offering from Karbonn (yes you read it right)..which is selling like hot cakes in my town.

Model: A9
Looks: Akin to HTC One series
Display: 3.8"
Processor: 1Ghz
Memory: 512MB
Camera: 5MP
Price point: Rs.8K-9K
Type: Dual Sim

Arguably the black ones are hard to find now and only white ones are available. Havent used it so am not recommending it but with the specs worth a check.

So now you can flaunt that you have the OneX untill someone reads the name printed on your handset .

Heres a link to a video review:

Old 22nd May 2012, 14:41   #9225
Senior - BHPian

it'll be interesting to see how it plays temple run lag free. It needs fair amount of horsepower - lagging even on the defy at times. (read certain MIUI/WIUI ROMs)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks