Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 16:09   #9316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

India official ICS for both i9100 and i9100G are now available.

After months of wait, Samsung India has finally started rolling out Android 4.0 update for Galaxy S II owners in the country. The update is available over-the-air as well as via Samsung Kies application.

The update size is 220.31MB, and it includes Touchwiz UI along with Ice Cream Sandwich goodies like Face Unlock, Re-sizeable widgets, performance improvements, new People App and a lot more.

As consumers wait for the Galaxy S III release in the country, it is certainly welcome news for a generation old phone owners.

Samsung Galaxy S II ICS update live in India | AndroidOS.in
Old 29th May 2012, 19:11   #9317
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated my Samsung galaxy S2 I9100 with the new ICS update 4.0.3 through Kies on my laptop. The upgrade process took around 1hr mostly due to the 220MB firmware download required. The UI seems improved and touch response is slightly faster. Will share other observations once I use it over the days. All new Samsung S2s manufactured post April come with ICS now.

Regards
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 29th May 2012 at 19:14.
Old 29th May 2012, 19:34   #9318
BHPian

Sony started rolling out ICS for Neo and Arc. Its 4.0.4 Also, there is a bundle of joy coming for others who already got with 4.0.3. 4.0.4 update for all is coming up. Heard it fixed hell lot of previous bugs.
Old 29th May 2012, 20:24   #9319
Senior - BHPian

Downloaded Kies, installed and it worked flawlessly for the first time. I was never able to use it in last 2 years. The newer version of Kies is seems to be problem free.

So, connected my i9100 to Kies and updated the firmware to ICS (4.0.3). It's good. Appearance, fonts, touch, scrolling have improved. Even Gmail has a new interface and it is better. So far I am loving it.
Old 29th May 2012, 20:45   #9320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel
Downloaded Kies, installed and it worked flawlessly for the first time. I was never able to use it in last 2 years. The newer version of Kies is seems to be problem free.

So, connected my i9100 to Kies and updated the firmware to ICS (4.0.3). It's good. Appearance, fonts, touch, scrolling have improved. Even Gmail has a new interface and it is better. So far I am loving it.
One more good addition which I discovered in the official ICS update for the S2 is the ability to take screenshots by holding down the volume down and power button for 3sec. Looks like they have finally started giving features by popular demand!
Old 29th May 2012, 22:51   #9321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel
India official ICS for both i9100 and i9100G are now available.

After months of wait, Samsung India has finally started rolling out Android 4.0 update for Galaxy S II owners in the country. The update is available over-the-air as well as via Samsung Kies application.

The update size is 220.31MB, and it includes Touchwiz UI along with Ice Cream Sandwich goodies like Face Unlock, Re-sizeable widgets, performance improvements, new People App and a lot more.

As consumers wait for the Galaxy S III release in the country, it is certainly welcome news for a generation old phone owners.

Samsung Galaxy S II ICS update live in India | AndroidOS.in
Do we need to back up? I mean do we lose some data or we can just update normally over the air. The data and homescreen layout will remain same na?
Old 30th May 2012, 00:13   #9322
BHPian

This just in. Galaxy s3 price 37.4k
Old 30th May 2012, 00:32   #9323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig
Hu ha ha ha,so it should retail at around 35k. So price of note also should go down.
TFS.
Old 30th May 2012, 00:48   #9324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

Hu ha ha ha,so it should retail at around 35k. So price of note also should go down.
TFS.
Yes but for a month or so it should be around MRP as its prebooked at around 9million. Also the new Iphone 5 looks delicious and am going to wait till its launch.
One question just came to my mind regarding ICS and Samsungs updates. Samsung says that it needs to prepare the ICS for each phone according to operator specs. The Google nexus s is also from samsung and contains almost the same specs as the galaxy S. How come ICS updates release on Nexus first and never for the Galaxy S? my buddy uses Nexus one and that runs ICS stock. How? Isnt its specs lower than nexus S or galaxy S?
Old 30th May 2012, 00:50   #9325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Whats the source of this news ? Is it confirmed ?
Old 30th May 2012, 01:33   #9326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I cannot check this, how do you check if wifi is switched off actually, though the icon disappears.
Thats easy. Just see if you are getting notifications (eg. Whatsapp, email, etc) while the WiFi is supposed to be sleeping. If its sleeping you should not get the messages until you wake the phone up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I'll have to check this out. I don't keep wifi ON all the time, instead my edge data is ON all the time. Surprising part is that Sony released ICS update with 4.0.3, which was buggy as hell. Even Google had stopped sending this version to Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. ICS 4.0.4 fixes lot of issues.

Battery consumption has definitely increased, but I can't say if that's because of this bug. The usage pattern for me still shows the same trend as it was in GB.

Eagerly waiting for ICS 4.0.4 update from Sony.
Its definitely buggy. Only good thing it has done is to make phone snappier and has better grapics and transparencies, etc. Batt life has definitely gone for a toss, and the buggy WiFi is most likely not the only contributing factor. Flash player also seems to be unstable now. Just crashes sometimes while watching videos for sometime and while changing vids. Really sad Sony has released a buggy update like this. Just wastes a lot of our time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
These were the same options in gingerbread as well, just choose option three and wifi switches off and falls back to edge/3g to save battery life.

If you need better battery life, turn mobile data off(if you dont need data) or set the network to 2G only (this saves battery) .
Dude, as I'v already mentioned its positively buggy. WiFi does not sleep even if I choose option 3. Really pissed with Android on this count. Even on 2G, if its kept on all/most of the time, the effect on the battery is very substantial. And this with very minimal syncing and currently no email syncing at all. I'm jealous of my friends with Blackberries who keep their data on 24/7, and yet the battery is good for around 3 days!!

Another observation: With either policy in force, if the phone looses Wifi signal (like if the Router is reset) when the screen is off, the WiFi does not reconnect automatically when the phone is woken up and the phone just keeps trying to connect indefinitely, but without success (Just switching the Wifi off and on on the phone is the only way to make it reconnect). I'm sure this is also contributing significantly to the battery drain.

The whole bloody thing reeks of bugs. Shame on Google.

Last edited by Raccoon : 30th May 2012 at 02:02.
Old 30th May 2012, 01:58   #9327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy

Whats the source of this news ? Is it confirmed ?
My "friend" told me. He is usually well informed about the prices. But it was quite expected. But folks id recommend waiting for apples wwdc to get over. The new iphone maybe released.
Coming to ics bugs
The wifi keeps reconnecting and sometime uploads dont work especially if its apps such as tbhp app or even facebook app. Anyone facing similar issue? Youtube continues to be laggy as hell in my Note but vimeo is superfast. Even though im on a 5mbps line.

Regards
Old 30th May 2012, 02:24   #9328
BHPian

Iphone 5 will come in october and all leaked photos are fake obviously. S3 doesnt look worth 35k though!
Old 30th May 2012, 07:16   #9329
BHPian

You are referring to looks only or specs included?
Old 30th May 2012, 08:44   #9330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686

Do we need to back up? I mean do we lose some data or we can just update normally over the air. The data and homescreen layout will remain same na?
I was on official 2.3.6 earlier. The update process automatically takes backup of everything and after update restores it. I did not need to take back up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks