Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2012, 16:04   #9406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Just updated my Note to ICS via PC Odin.

Do I need to do a reset? If so how? And what data will I lose?
If you are coming from GB, then its recommended to do it. For resetting, press volume up+home+power key when the phone is switched off. You can select the wipe data and cache options in there. You will loose all your apps and data (including smses and contacts). If you have TB, then take a backup before proceeding.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 1st June 2012 at 16:24.
Old 1st June 2012, 16:13   #9407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I didn't mean it that way. I don't use it, so for me it's same as other junk Sony decided to put on my phone. No offense meant to WhatsApp users.

Some update on ICS 4.0.4 experience so far. App loading time has defintely reduced, so on that front. For example, settings, dialer, contacts, Temple Run, everything loads faster than earlier.

Battery consumption *seems* to be reduced. Right now my phone is at 87% and Go Power Master is showing 34 hours of remaining time. It never showed more than 28 hours on ICS 4.0.3.
+1 to that! I really hate it when OEMs install ANY additional apps. Also, apps like Youtube, etc., which almost always come pre loaded waste space after updates, as the original version always remains on the phone.

I'm not getting any OTA update notification. :( In fact I'v never seen such a notification coming up on my Ray. :( Wonder whats wrong. Guessl I'll have to do it thru the PC only...

Quote:
Just updated my Note to ICS via PC Odin.

Do I need to do a reset? If so how? And what data will I lose?
Its best to do that but you will loose everything. So back up everything... which you anyway should.

Last edited by Raccoon : 1st June 2012 at 16:15.
Old 1st June 2012, 16:17   #9408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I'm not getting any OTA update notification. :( In fact I'v never seen such a notification coming up on my Ray. :( Wonder whats wrong. Guessl I'll have to do it thru the PC only...
Have you unlocked your bootloader through the Sony website method? If so then you won't get update notification. I had re-locked my phone's bootloader as I had to give it to service center for touch-screen replacement. Now I'm happy with the ICS 4.0.4, so I'm not going the root path .
Old 1st June 2012, 16:40   #9409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
If you are coming from GB, then its recommended to do it. For resetting, press volume up+home+power key when the phone is switched off. You can select the wipe data and cache options in there. You will loose all your apps and data (including smses and contacts). If you have TB, then take a backup before proceeding.
Any idea how to do this for the Ray? I just did it thru the Settings before and after the GB to 4.0.3 upgrade. Think its best to do it for the 4.0.4 upgrade also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Have you unlocked your bootloader through the Sony website method? If so then you won't get update notification. I had re-locked my phone's bootloader as I had to give it to service center for touch-screen replacement. Now I'm happy with the ICS 4.0.4, so I'm not going the root path .
Nopes, haven't done that. Dunno why it still does not work. :(
Old 1st June 2012, 17:35   #9410
BHPian

Quote:
The phone is unrooted.

What is the best backup method that does not require rooting?

I have taken a backup with Kies.

Can I do a reset and then use the Kies backup to restore?

Please forgive all the idiot questions.

Total Android n00b here, on my first Droid. Was a Nokia guy before I made the switch.
Old 1st June 2012, 17:49   #9411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how to do this for the Ray? I just did it thru the Settings before and after the GB to 4.0.3 upgrade. Think its best to do it for the 4.0.4 upgrade also?
Wipe is recommended when going from GB to ICS, but going from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 (on the same ROM), its not needed. However, do note that it is a MUST when going from one ROM to the other.

Quote:
The phone is unrooted. What is the best backup method that does not require rooting? I have taken a backup with Kies. Can I do a reset and then use the Kies backup to restore? Please forgive all the idiot questions. Total Android n00b here, on my first Droid.
Dont worry about the nOOb status, its fine. We all are also in the learning stage. Since your phone is unrooted, you might be updating your firmware through the KIES. Just do a backup (always needed) and restore (only if needed) from there, as KIES does not wipe out your apps. Also, your settings and data wont be erased when updating from there. Do remember that you cannot take a backup of your apps through KIES.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 1st June 2012 at 17:52.
Old 1st June 2012, 17:54   #9412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wipe is recommended when going from GB to ICS, but going from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 (on the same ROM), its not needed. However, do note that it is a MUST when going from one ROM to the other.
Thanks for the reply. But any idea on how to do it for the Ray? Also, isn't a factory reset enough to wipe out everything on the phone and card? What does a "wipe" do that the factory reset does not do?
Old 1st June 2012, 17:56   #9413
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,this might be off topic but since i have an android based Reliance tab,am asking for help.The tab is network locked as in only Reliance sim can work.Can anyone help me with the unlock code?You can PM me the code.Thanks in advance.
Old 1st June 2012, 20:15   #9414
BHPian

Quote:

Dont worry about the nOOb status, its fine. We all are also in the learning stage. Since your phone is unrooted, you might be updating your firmware through the KIES. Just do a backup (always needed) and restore (only if needed) from there, as KIES does not wipe out your apps. Also, your settings and data wont be erased when updating from there. Do remember that you cannot take a backup of your apps through KIES.
Ok...

I took a backup of contacts, settings, etc through Kies and then updated using ODIN.

How do I take a backup of my apps, since my phone is unrooted?

And how do I go about doing the reset.

Please walk me through.
Old 1st June 2012, 20:22   #9415
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. But any idea on how to do it for the Ray? Also, isn't a factory reset enough to wipe out everything on the phone and card? What does a "wipe" do that the factory reset does not do?
A "wipe" is used when you have installed a custom recovery on the phone and plan to install a non-official rom.if your phone is stock and you want it to stay that way factory reset is what you use to bring it back to stock . a factory reset might not wipe the contents of the SD-card though
Old 1st June 2012, 21:53   #9416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey guys, I am new to this Android thing, so please bear with this noobish question.

How do I prevent the apps in my phone from auto updating? Also I would like to be notified of updates, but I would like to choose when to download and install them. (Just like the option in my computer's Windows Update )

This is so that I can keep my EDGE connection active all the time, but I would like to do the downloads over WiFi, since I have a very limited data plan.

Phone is the HTC Explorer.
Hope you are enjoying the phone.

Guys I dont know whether we need a separate app for screen shots but it seems that my phone(HTC Explorer) already has something that takes screen shots. I just cannot make out but it has happened twice. The home screen has been clicked twice both were by mistake, that is, I pressed random buttons. Then when I try to do it again I just cannot get the combination of keys which takes screen shots. Any leads to this?

EDIT: I have attached the screen shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20120528_141657.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20120528_110127.jpg  

Last edited by Pancham : 1st June 2012 at 22:09.
Old 1st June 2012, 22:49   #9417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon
Hey guys, I am new to this Android thing, so please bear with this noobish question.

How do I prevent the apps in my phone from auto updating? Also I would like to be notified of updates, but I would like to choose when to download and install them. (Just like the option in my computer's Windows Update )

This is so that I can keep my EDGE connection active all the time, but I would like to do the downloads over WiFi, since I have a very limited data plan.

Phone is the HTC Explorer.
Speed.Demon

In the google play store app , go to settings and check the option 'update over WiFi only'. Hope this works for you.
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2012, 22:54   #9418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham

Hope you are enjoying the phone.

Guys I dont know whether we need a separate app for screen shots but it seems that my phone(HTC Explorer) already has something that takes screen shots. I just cannot make out but it has happened twice. The home screen has been clicked twice both were by mistake, that is, I pressed random buttons. Then when I try to do it again I just cannot get the combination of keys which takes screen shots. Any leads to this?

EDIT: I have attached the screen shots.
Pancham, in my Sony Xperia mini pro, when I press the power off button, it gives the option of taking a screen shot. Check if that works for your phone.
Old 2nd June 2012, 00:21   #9419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How do I prevent the apps in my phone from auto updating? Also I would like to be notified of updates, but I would like to choose when to download and install them.
You can see the general option in Ajayc123's screen shots. For specific apps, go to their Google Play (why must google make us feel like kiddies? :( ) page and there will be an auto-update option.
Old 2nd June 2012, 00:50   #9420
BHPian

Guys I'm in a major dilemma. I kinda had my heart set on the HTC One X, and that was even before seeing it in person. However after I checked it out today I have a feeling that it might just be a tad big, but still not too sure yet. While I was seeing this I saw the Sony Xperia S and was honestly blown away with the design, it is sexy from all angles.

Now I'm really confused. Can someone who owns/used these 2 phones lend me their expert opinion on this? I probably will have the phone for at least 2 years and so want the one that is gonna age the best. What do you suggest? Also how's the Galaxy Nexus? Or any other recommendations in that price range?

Cheers.

Ps. Don't mention the Note please as its waaaaaaaaay too big for me. Thanks.

Most Viewed