Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2012, 13:15   #9436
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I am in a same dilema. I am thinking S2 would make sense now with ICS update and assuming you don't really care for that extra bit of resolution and processor differences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
well ok i checked flipkart again just now. S2 is 28k, Xperia S is 31k and Note is 33k.

Note is obviously leagues better than S2 but it is too big for most people. I find 4.3 inch the perfect size for a phone screen, anything bigger renders the whole phone gigantic. In that perspective Xperia S is the best buy right now in the world! Xperia S has overall very good specs compared to S2 (S2 feels overpriced now, given that phones like Google Nexus is available for 26k, Sensation for 24k, Atrix for 22k etc).
Ok ..bought a NOTE on 31th itself.it was a impulsive buying thought note was note of interest to me.just went for some other work near croma showroom and thought will check for white S2 stock which i planned to buy on 3/6/12 ,but showroom sales guy told me that getting white S2 will not be easy and suggested me to go for note as it had a offer of headset and pouch,so didnt thin much ,just bought it

Experience so far has been good but for a hiccup yesterday.the phone just hanged after a call and i had to remove the battery and restart again

what could be the problem?
Old 2nd June 2012, 13:30   #9437
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review of HTC Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Congrats and welcome to the android family What you said as Pros is the bundle of joy that comes with android.
Regarding internal memory, you will have to root -> make an extended partition on SD card -> install "link2sd" and link all the apps to your SD card. A bit of googling will get you all necessary resources. Am not gonna put the links directly cos, you will lose the fun factor of it
Its a damn pain. The Chacha comes with 150MB free (seriously HTC, your software enginers should be fired for such a travesty!!) and despite doing everything, I am not happy. Crapware like Facebook, ebuddy etc keep crashing constantly. Thankfully the basic interface is okay and the screen/keyboard is a gem. My official email (Lotus Traveler) just keeps crashing for no reason (its not even moved/linked to SD card).

I will sooner than later go for a custom ROM but then the front camera does not work. I don't trust applications to work properly in a custom ROM going by the current experience.

Clearly HTC is simply pathetic in the below 15k range. Surprisingly mod support is also nowhere as good as my Defy.

Here is what i suggest - install link2SD, but first CWM it - take a backup then do everything else. The simplest option is to choose 4-5 apps you absolutely need and don't bother about the others. That is the most stable approach. Better play within the territory you have. Stepping outside can be quite a pain.
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:43   #9438
BHPian

I am thinking about upgrading my phone too. My eyes are on the Htc one x. Can somone please tell me where can it be bought at the cheapest price? And what is the cheapest price you can get it for?
Old 2nd June 2012, 18:07   #9439
BANNED

@pancham; Initially use the landscape mode for the keyboard till you get the hang of it.
Old 3rd June 2012, 00:53   #9440
Senior - BHPian

The S3 is in da house.
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:19   #9441
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review of HTC Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
1) THE KEYPAD or KEYBOARD

It has been 12 days and I still have not managed to get used to typing on this keyboard. It is full qwerty but when used vertically the buttons are so small that I tend to press all anab-sanab things and get embarrassed later. Infact the phone has made me really that I have big fingers. This not a deal breaker though. You just have to be patient and careful while typing.
Beyond a point, don't struggle. Buy swiftkey X. You'll thank me later

Ask Raccoon.

/or else they have the swiftkey 3 in beta. You can download and install that for free as well.
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:22   #9442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

Ask Raccoon.

/or else they have the swiftkey 3 in beta. You can download and install that for free as well.
Or try Swype or Touchpal keyboard, they are free. I am so used to Swype that i can't think of having another smartphone without it.
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:08   #9443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The S3 is in da house.
Sweet!!! Post a small review and the hole it burnt in Your pocket!
I have to buy a mobile today and evaluating if its better to spend 39K on S3 or buy an S2 off the shelf.
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:43   #9444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I am so impressed by this innovation, that all that I need to do is to hit the approximate area in the keyboard where the character is & within 4 of 5 punches, the keyboard proposes the words quite accurately. usually ok over 80 % of the times. I feel its so cool, that I dont even actually need to look at the keyboard & just punch the approximate area where the word is & it works quite well for me. Explore this option under "Text Input Settings" under keyboard settings. I know, it works for htc explorer for sure, bcos I remember when I had taken the demo of this model at the store, I had asked the store guy to enable this feature for me. Its actually an android feature ( my sense) so it must work for all androids. This is so amazing
I must say I missed out on this part while writing the review. I totally agree with what you say. The only thing that is not making me go mad (because of the keyboard) is the predictive text feature. It is another example of how intelligent phones have become. But the problem starts when you type hindi words. If words are NOT saved then you can really end up in an embarrassing situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@pancham; Initially use the landscape mode for the keyboard till you get the hang of it.
I have tried that but then again the smileys are not accessible from the landscape mode. That is what I have noticed in Watsapp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Ask Raccoon.

Yes I will look for that till then I will give it some more time and let predictive text help me out. Thanks a lot.
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:41   #9445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Or try Swype or Touchpal keyboard, they are free. I am so used to Swype that i can't think of having another smartphone without it.
touchpal was crap IMO. I have a licence - wish I could transfer it away.

Swype is good but honestly, SwiftkeyX is not comparable.

It doesnt make typing faster - it makes it (often) redundant or actually intelligent, depending on how you see it.

But yes, Pancham, it depends on what you want in your typing app.
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:36   #9446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa

Sweet!!! Post a small review and the hole it burnt in Your pocket!
I have to buy a mobile today and evaluating if its better to spend 39K on S3 or buy an S2 off the shelf.
the phone is feels faster than the S2 for sure. I just got the sim card turned intoa micro sim and into the phone. The initial impressions are pretty good.

The hole in the pocket is under 37K
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:01   #9447
Senior - BHPian

I am really keen on getting my first android based big touch screen smartphone and being a satisfied samsung mobile user I can't think of anything else than Note.

Though my wife has strictly told me that she is not letting me buy a phone with a price tag on the wrong side of 30k. She almost bought me a HTC One V yesterday but somehow I can't see anything apart from a Note right now.

Trying my level best to convince her to get me one.
Old 4th June 2012, 09:27   #9448
BHPian

I finally upgraded my Xperia Ray to Ice Cream Sandwich yesterday. First impressions:
1. I don't like the icons of many of the built-in apps in ICS (email, messaging, etc). They look cartoonish, and the gingerbread icons were better.
2. The phone app has combined the phone dialer and call history. And it groups calls together. I don't like either of these.
3. I seem to have a little more free memory, but it mostly feels the same as gingerbread did. Responsive, but then I don't really push my phone that much.

What are everybody else's impressions?
Old 4th June 2012, 11:41   #9449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
I took a backup of contacts, settings, etc through Kies and then updated using ODIN. How do I take a backup of my apps, since my phone is unrooted?
And how do I go about doing the reset.
Please walk me through.
Well, as far as I know, you cant take a backup of your apps without rooting your phone. As for reset, if you are upgrading through KIES, its not needed.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:59   #9450
BHPian

Folks - Bought the Galaxy S3. I knew it was a bit costly and all that, but couldnt help but buy it. The initial impressions are awesome, but will post more later once i use it for a week or so...!!

Any other users who have bought S3, pls post the initial feedback.

Most Viewed