Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 11:14   #9721
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hello all,
Im planning on purchasing a andriod phone.But im clueless on which one to buy.My bugdet is around 13000.I have seen the galaxy y but not happy with the screen size.I dont want to go for a tab.Has anyone bought anything recently in this price range.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:20   #9722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Hello all,
Im planning on purchasing a andriod phone.But im clueless on which one to buy.My bugdet is around 13000.I have seen the galaxy y but not happy with the screen size.I dont want to go for a tab.Has anyone bought anything recently in this price range.

You can look at Samsung Galaxy Ace. Its a very nice phone in this range.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:09   #9723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak

You can look at Samsung Galaxy Ace. Its a very nice phone in this range.
I would recommend galaxy ace plus ( ace has a very minimal internal memory. This problem is taken care of in ace plus )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian
One question on Samsung Galaxy Note - Does this come with factory installed 4.0 ICS or it does come with GB and we have to update it with ICS? I am planning to buy Note and not sure if I should do this update on my own or should get it done from the shop itself? Is it easy to do it on my own?
It comes with gingerbread. Can perform the upgrade to ics using Wi-Fi. Just connect your phone to Wi-Fi, and in seconds, it will prompt you to upgrade. There are 3such upgrades that needs to be performed and you will be on ics :-)

Last edited by bblost : 19th June 2012 at 12:32. Reason: Please do NOT create back to back posts.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:37   #9724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
One question on Samsung Galaxy Note - Does this come with factory installed 4.0 ICS or it does come with GB and we have to update it with ICS? I am planning to buy Note and not sure if I should do this update on my own or should get it done from the shop itself? Is it easy to do it on my own?
As of now, the Samsung Galaxy Note comes with Gingerbread (2.3.6). You can easily upgrade it to ICS (4.0.3) either using Samsung Kies (on a PC/laptop and connected using the cable) or using SW upgrade on the phone (via WiFi or 3G). My brother has a Note and I have a Galaxy SII. I did my ICS update using Kies, but this didn't work for his Note. He had to use the upgrade feature on the phone. Many people seem to hate Kies, but my one year experience with it has been pleasant (Touch wood!).
Old 19th June 2012, 12:43   #9725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I got the Note last week which came with GB. Asked them to upgrade to ICS. In 10 min, I got my Note installed with ICS. You can do it yourself using WiFi. Note will automatically search for software updates. It's around 250-300 MB.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:45   #9726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I would recommend galaxy ace plus ( ace has a very minimal internal memory. This problem is taken care of in ace plus )
Yup wanted to recommend this model only, Just forgot to mention plus. It is a real nice phone in this range.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:00   #9727
Senior - BHPian

This is for all people looking to buy Samsung phones.

There is an offer on ebay whereby you can get 7.5% off on Samsung phones using the coupon SAMSEBAY01. Using this, the price of Note is 29970 and Galaxy S2 is 25576. Pretty good prices I guess.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:02   #9728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
This is for all people looking to buy Samsung phones.

There is an offer on ebay whereby you can get 7.5% off on Samsung phones using the coupon SAMSEBAY01. Using this, the price of Note is 29970 and Galaxy S2 is 25576. Pretty good prices I guess.
Just saw the mail from ebay. Pretty good deal. Expecting the price of the Note to drop since Note 2 is expected soon.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 19th June 2012 at 13:03.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:21   #9729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Expecting the price of the Note to drop since Note 2 is expected soon.
Saar, waiting here forever, no price reductions seen in the past 45 days. One can only hope.

I dont think note will continue to be sold after NOTE 2 is released
Old 19th June 2012, 13:27   #9730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Saar, waiting here forever, no price reductions seen in the past 45 days. One can only hope.

I dont think note will continue to be sold after NOTE 2 is released
Cant comment on that since I decided to take a new phone in a day. Saw Note and S3 and after few days, took the note. Never tracked the prices before that. Anyways, have to wait and see the specs of Note2. Some say it's got 12MP cam, 2GHZ quadcore processor and JellyBean (the latest in Android OS) and upgraded battery. A newspaper report stated it will have a 5.3" Flexible LED display (that's a rumor)
Old 19th June 2012, 14:05   #9731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cant comment on that since I decided to take a new phone in a day. Saw Note and S3 and after few days, took the note. Never tracked the prices before that. Anyways, have to wait and see the specs of Note2. Some say it's got 12MP cam, 2GHZ quadcore processor and JellyBean (the latest in Android OS) and upgraded battery. A newspaper report stated it will have a 5.3" Flexible LED display (that's a rumor)
Yeah I was once like you, lapping up the latest phone from the nokia generation.

But GTO has made me a value seeker.

MY current phone i9003 does pretty much all the tasks, but it lags some times and i am starting to think that the 4" screen is small.

So S2 pretty much ticks all the boxes and its 1GB RAM and 1.2GHz Dual Core processor will ensure that there is no lag. I can buy it right away,

But the S2 sold in INDIA is i9100G and not i9100. i9100G doesn't have good support on XDA. So favoring the NOTE which has excellent support on XDA and is the same model sold internationally.

I checked ANILISANIL's note at the recent pune mumbai mega meet, I found it huge, but I think I will get used to its size. So the waiting for the price cut after the S3 launch or even the launch of NOTE2.

No cuts so far.

To sum it up, I need a 4.3" or preferably 4.5" screen with dual core processor, 1GB RAM with good support on XDA within the price range of 25-28K. The hunt continues.

May be the Intel reference design android phones from Lenovo and Moto hold some promise.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:13   #9732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
To sum it up, I need a 4.3" or preferably 4.5" screen with dual core processor, 1GB RAM with good support on XDA within the price range of 25-28K. The hunt continues.

May be the Intel reference design android phones from Lenovo and Moto hold some promise.
True, Note is huge. Even I wasnt keen on getting such a huge phone. Went to check Lumia 800 at Reliance and was amazed to see the crowd checking out Note. When my wifey gave the , I checked some reviews on youtube and was convinced to go for it. Even saw few videos which featured 'Note - Trouser Test'. Then saw the S3 and was totally confused. Since 37k is way too much for a phone (I never imagined buying a phone in excess of 20k) but Note made all that change.

Now enjoying the phone and got used to it's size. I even manage to put the phone in my jeans front pocket and sit down (though a bit uncomfortable).

Just wait for the price to drop. I'm sure it will come down. Started seeing prices below 30k now. It will be a good bet.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:50   #9733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
As of now, the Samsung Galaxy Note comes with Gingerbread (2.3.6). You can easily upgrade it to ICS (4.0.3) either using Samsung Kies (on a PC/laptop and connected using the cable) or using SW upgrade on the phone (via WiFi or 3G). My brother has a Note and I have a Galaxy SII. I did my ICS update using Kies, but this didn't work for his Note. He had to use the upgrade feature on the phone. Many people seem to hate Kies, but my one year experience with it has been pleasant (Touch wood!).
Quote:
I got the Note last week which came with GB. Asked them to upgrade to ICS. In 10 min, I got my Note installed with ICS. You can do it yourself using WiFi. Note will automatically search for software updates. It's around 250-300 MB.
Thanks, A350XWB and naveen.raju! That makes my decision a little easier. I am hoping I will be able to cope with the huge size of the phone though
Old 19th June 2012, 16:25   #9734
Senior - BHPian

Guys i bought the Note in Jan12. Similar to you guys size was my only apprehension.

But guess what it still is but with a difference.....now i wonder how will i manage with a smaller phone if i ever have to downgrade to a smaller screen.

BTW. I find the note pocket size friendly also.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th June 2012 at 01:10. Reason: Please avoid quoting long posts as it causes inconvenince to our Mobile readers, thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 17:27   #9735
BHPian

Even i bought the note last month. Size is the main factor. Me being on the higher side of 6 feet and lower side of 100kgs found it a perfect match for myself. I had a look at S3. I liked it but it looks puny in front of the note. Note is the best phablet today. It can put many phones as well as tablets to shame. I got the Note for 30k with the senheiser earphones and flip case. Total VFM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks