Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 18:53   #9736
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hey whats the review for the ICS update for the Samsung Galaxy S2? My phone is still running on the stock 2.3.3 gingerbread. Haven't felt the need for the upgrade but since its out then why not try it. But read on some websites that the ICS upgrade by samsung for S2 is not very good right now and is riddled with problems with the phone hanging a lot and some apps not working like internet explorer. Has anyone here tried the update?

Edit: Came across similar reviews on the FB page too with most users saying the ICS eats up the battery and the phone freezes and restarts a lot.

Last edited by drmohitg : 19th June 2012 at 18:55.
Old 19th June 2012, 19:17   #9737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
Hey whats the review for the ICS update for the Samsung Galaxy S2? My phone is still running on the stock 2.3.3 gingerbread. Haven't felt the need for the upgrade but since its out then why not try it. But read on some websites that the ICS upgrade by samsung for S2 is not very good right now and is riddled with problems with the phone hanging a lot and some apps not working like internet explorer. Has anyone here tried the update?

Edit: Came across similar reviews on the FB page too with most users saying the ICS eats up the battery and the phone freezes and restarts a lot.
Been around 20 days since I updated my S2 and it definitely does use more battery. I played around a bit and found that the system power saving features are not working well so turned it off and installed Juice Defender Ultimate and am getting around 45 hours of life with moderate use - 1 hr of calls and 2 hours of internet use daily with my 2000mah extended battery.
Old 19th June 2012, 20:30   #9738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Been around 20 days since I updated my S2 and it definitely does use more battery. I played around a bit and found that the system power saving features are not working well so turned it off and installed Juice Defender Ultimate and am getting around 45 hours of life with moderate use - 1 hr of calls and 2 hours of internet use daily with my 2000mah extended battery.
But would you then recommend me to upgrade or stay put with the 2.3.3 i have. I am thinking as to why take the risk when my phone is running fine as per my usage.
Old 19th June 2012, 20:42   #9739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But would you then recommend me to upgrade or stay put with the 2.3.3 i have. I am thinking as to why take the risk when my phone is running fine as per my usage.
I would say wait for 4.0.4.
I believe it is currently 4.0.3.
Old 19th June 2012, 21:09   #9740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I would recommend to upgrade it as it is faster and improves the experience. It is 4.0.3 and when 4.0.4 is released, it will be an incremental update and will need 4.0.3 as base.
Old 20th June 2012, 07:39   #9741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would recommend you to wait for a more stable update if you aren't very concerned about the few new features that ics offers. Samsung should solve these pending bugs on ics within a couple of iterations of upgrades. :-)
Old 20th June 2012, 07:49   #9742
BHPian

Quote:
After the ICS update, luckily I don't have any of the problems mentioned above. There is no change in battery life, but the memory consumption has gone up. My phone never hung up after the upgrade, till now. With the same kind of usage as mentioned by Behemoth, I get 48 hours (+/-2h) on my phone, which is on the standard battery (1650 mAh). I use an aggressive background task killer, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I would say wait for 4.0.4.
I believe it is currently 4.0.3.
As Behemoth have told below, I would recommend the upgrade. The ICS upgrade is not that evil and the UI has some improvements.

Quote:
I would recommend to upgrade it as it is faster and improves the experience. It is 4.0.3 and when 4.0.4 is released, it will be an incremental update and will need 4.0.3 as base.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:24   #9743
BHPian

Quote:

But the S2 sold in INDIA is i9100G and not i9100. i9100G doesn't have good support on XDA. So favoring the NOTE which has excellent support on XDA and is the same model sold internationally.

I've read somewhere that Samsung has started selling i9100 again in India. (may be mainly because of the bad feedback they got for i9100G).

Can someone confirm this?

Looks like the one being sold on Flipkart off late, is also i9100?
Old 20th June 2012, 11:33   #9744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
I've read somewhere that Samsung has started selling i9100 again in India. (may be mainly because of the bad feedback they got for i9100G).

Can someone confirm this?

Looks like the one being sold on Flipkart off late, is also i9100?
would you mind sharing the source of this news ?
Old 20th June 2012, 11:45   #9745
BHPian

Quote:
would you mind sharing the source of this news ?
Sorry cant recollect where I read about it. Just called Flipkart sales support team and they confirmed its i9100 that they are selling.

Samsung Galaxy S 2 I9100: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com
Old 20th June 2012, 11:54   #9746
BANNED

My view about upgrades (I may be spammed for this) is do not fix something which is not broken. Also, when there is a major upgrade then allow things to stabilise for s few months before jumping in. The only reason I may look for ICS on my Incredible 2 is to get Chrome. It is now on 2.3.3 and I am quite happy with it. Now with Android reaching version 4 it has stabilised, and future versions may not have that much extra.

Of course there is a group who enjoy upgrading (both hardware and software) at the drop of a hat. In software terms I wonder how many of them are now on CM!
Old 20th June 2012, 13:33   #9747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In software terms I wonder how many of them are now on CM!
Many are sir - Infact CM 7.xx is the base for most custom ROMs available nowadays.
Old 20th June 2012, 16:15   #9748
BHPian

10% off season on ebay again
Old 20th June 2012, 16:25   #9749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180
10% off season on ebay again
Could you share the coupon info ?
Old 20th June 2012, 16:55   #9750
Senior - BHPian

For note users. Word of caution. I was not in any custom ROM and i was in the Kies updated ICS rom. My phone got bricked yesterday. I did a factory reset from Menu to clean up the system and still hard bricked it.

Its now with Samsung who is replacing the Motherboard under warranty. 10 days without a note is a little difficult but have no other go.

Just a word of caution. Avoid Factory Reset in the ICS if you want to load any new custom roms.

Instead downgrade to GB using PC ODIN, use Mobile ODIN to flash any new ROMs. The safest to avoid hard brick.

Most Viewed