Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 18:02   #9751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
For note users. Word of caution. I was not in any custom ROM and i was in the Kies updated ICS rom. My phone got bricked yesterday. I did a factory reset from Menu to clean up the system and still hard bricked it.

Its now with Samsung who is replacing the Motherboard under warranty. 10 days without a note is a little difficult but have no other go.

Just a word of caution. Avoid Factory Reset in the ICS if you want to load any new custom roms.

Instead downgrade to GB using PC ODIN, use Mobile ODIN to flash any new ROMs. The safest to avoid hard brick.
Surprising cuz I've reset my phone two times and haven't faced any issues. I've also seen people on stock roms having done factory reset multiple times and their phones are just fine. Were you rooted?
Old 20th June 2012, 18:28   #9752
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
For note users. Word of caution. I was not in any custom ROM and i was in the Kies updated ICS rom. My phone got bricked yesterday. I did a factory reset from Menu to clean up the system and still hard bricked it.

Its now with Samsung who is replacing the Motherboard under warranty. 10 days without a note is a little difficult but have no other go.

Just a word of caution. Avoid Factory Reset in the ICS if you want to load any new custom roms.

Instead downgrade to GB using PC ODIN, use Mobile ODIN to flash any new ROMs. The safest to avoid hard brick.
I am also facing some issues with my NOTE. Can you explain what is "Bricked" and "Hard Bricked" ?
Old 20th June 2012, 18:47   #9753
Senior - BHPian

The below thread gives some idea

Let's unbrick your phone - Guide (Soft Brick, Super Brick, Hard Brick) - xda-developers

My advice is if the ODIN is stuck at Factoryfs its usually hard bricked meaning there is no recovery but replacing the mother board in samsung service centre.
Old 20th June 2012, 19:34   #9754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The below thread gives some idea

Let's unbrick your phone - Guide (Soft Brick, Super Brick, Hard Brick) - xda-developers

My advice is if the ODIN is stuck at Factoryfs its usually hard bricked meaning there is no recovery but replacing the mother board in samsung service centre.
Thanks for the link. As of now the phone is stuck at Samsung Logo, so per the article you shared, Soft Brick is an option.

You mentioned earlier about using ODIN and going back to GB. From where can I download GB and ODIN?
Old 20th June 2012, 19:54   #9755
Senior - BHPian

The stock roms are available in the above link.The early GB roms have 3 files while the later roms have only a single file.

If it is stuck in Samsung Logo and you have warranty, just take it to Samsung and they will restore the firmware. They will have no clue on how it got bricked if the phone reboots or if it doesnt. So if its under warranty you have a chance to clean it up there.
Old 20th June 2012, 20:32   #9756
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, has samsung not released an update for this terrible brick option? This is incredibly stupid of them and simply unacceptable. They should release once an year update like iOS!
Old 20th June 2012, 20:58   #9757
Senior - BHPian

@Phamilyman.

The ICS 4.0.3 official was supposed to fix this issue. More of a kernal issue.

***WARNING! PLEASE READ!! ICS Kernels and Recovery - HARDBRICK WARNING - xda-developers - I am sure you would have seen this thread.

I have an S running in Cynogenmod, S2 in Check rom and i kept the Note stock only to get it bricked

Irony of being right without any MOD. In fact had the factory reset went fine i may have been tempted to try the Criselko Rom.
Old 20th June 2012, 21:06   #9758
Senior - BHPian

yaar, that is all good on paper but in the world outside our enthusiast online world, simple people want a phone that works out of the box
Old 20th June 2012, 21:15   #9759
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all i have just one thing to say,Samsung Kies is the most pathetic software i've ever come across. Feel like hitting the developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My phone is still running on the stock 2.3.3 gingerbread. Haven't felt the need for the upgrade but since its out then why not try it. But read on some websites that the ICS upgrade by samsung for S2 is not very good right now and is riddled with problems with the phone hanging a lot and some apps not working like internet explorer. Has anyone here tried the update?

Edit: Came across similar reviews on the FB page too with most users saying the ICS eats up the battery and the phone freezes and restarts a lot.
I did an update about a week back and was very happy.But then i noticed that my phone is hanging up a lot.And most of the times i have to restart.I guess they gave the option of restart with 4.0.3 for this very reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I am getting around 45 hours of life with moderate use - 1 hr of calls and 2 hours of internet use daily with my 2000mah extended battery.
Could you please share the info on your battery?And from where you got it?

Quote:
But would you then recommend me to upgrade or stay put with the 2.3.3 i have. I am thinking as to why take the risk when my phone is running fine as per my usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I would say wait for 4.0.4.
I believe it is currently 4.0.3.
I second what F150 says,wait for 4.0.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post

Here are the cons that I have found so far :
1. Battery life has reduced a bit.
2. There is lag in the contacts and phone apps some times. When you click on the the icon, initially there is a blank screen and the contacts appear after a few seconds. But I don't think it's a big deal.
Ditto for me,there is quite a bit of lag now.Battery life is nearly the same.In GB 2.0.3 i had set the custom power to start at 70% battery level but in ICS 4.0.3,there is no option for 70% but starts at 50% only.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 20th June 2012 at 21:21. Reason: Quoting Newpunter
Old 20th June 2012, 21:17   #9760
BHPian

Quote:
But would you then recommend me to upgrade or stay put with the 2.3.3 i have. I am thinking as to why take the risk when my phone is running fine as per my usage.
I have noticed that the battery life has come down a little once I installed ICS, but otherwise, it is a fantastic update. The interface is very smooth. I used to have a lot of lag in some games like Temple Run earlier, but after the update, there is no lag whatsoever and is as smooth as on an iOS device. The whole experience is much better on ICS. I would suggest that you should upgrade, unless battery life is very important to you ( there are ways to improve the battery life even after installing ICS ).

Here are the cons that I have found so far :
1. Battery life has reduced a bit.
2. There is lag in the contacts and phone apps some times. When you click on the the icon, initially there is a blank screen and the contacts appear after a few seconds. But I don't think it's a big deal.

Other than that every thing is great. Best thing is that I installed the Nova Launcher which is available only for ICS devices and it feels great on the device.
Old 20th June 2012, 21:36   #9761
Senior - BHPian

Wondering if 4.0.4 is more optimized as SGS3 is one of the best when it comes to battery life at this point. My friends who moved from S2, Note to S3 still say S3 has excellent battery life.

Anyone here on CM9 and can you provide your feedback on the CM9 4.0.4
Old 20th June 2012, 22:52   #9762
BHPian

I am not sure if some body has already posted about this small apps, where you can find your traffic violation fine instantly.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fficeFineIndia
Old 20th June 2012, 23:13   #9763
BHPian

For all S3 users, Checkrom is coming out with his rom for SGS3, Have been waiting for this rom for quite sometime.
Old 21st June 2012, 02:08   #9764
Senior - BHPian

My Swiftkey trial ran out and I was forced to revert back to the stock keyboard on my Ray. It is driving me insane!!

Tried to buy it from Google Play but despite it saying CC or Debit cards are accepted neither HDFC nor IDBI Debit card is working. HDFC Netsafe is not working either. Whats the deal here? Don't Indian CC or Debit cards work on GP?

Is there any solution? If not, is there some good Samaritan who can give me the apk hes purchased? I would buy without too much thought as without it I would not be using this phone. But Google has left me with no option.
Old 21st June 2012, 08:41   #9765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
My Swiftkey trial ran out and I was forced to revert back to the stock keyboard on my Ray. It is driving me insane!!

Tried to buy it from Google Play but despite it saying CC or Debit cards are accepted neither HDFC nor IDBI Debit card is working. HDFC Netsafe is not working either. Whats the deal here? Don't Indian CC or Debit cards work on GP?

Is there any solution? If not, is there some good Samaritan who can give me the apk hes purchased? I would buy without too much thought as without it I would not be using this phone. But Google has left me with no option.
My HDFC Visa signature card is working without any issues in GP. Have bought few apps using that already.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks