Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2012, 13:10   #9826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Stupid kies. Haven't been able to update yet. says the phone has disconnected when it is actually connected.......damn
Kies is one of the worst ways to update firmware.
samfirmware.com and PC ODIN is the way to go.
Old 24th June 2012, 15:24   #9827

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
1. can this fit in a trouser pocket or I will have to always wear shirt with pocket!
Yes, it does. In fact, it fits quite nicely.

Quote:
2. Is keyboard good enough, to type or I need real physical QWERTY keyboard
It should be good enough. I'm still getting used to using a QWERTY touchscreen keyboard though. Use both hands if you want to type faster. The Note has a 'One-hand operation' feature, but I'm not a fan of that. The phone is too big for that, unless you have HUGE hands!
Quote:
3. I want to browse AxisDirect occasionally, as anybody browsed AxisDirect on Note ( browser compatibaility ).
Nope, sorry.
Quote:
4. Sulekha offers this at 29700, is it a good deal or at anyother places it is available at better price.

Thanks in advance

JLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Could share the url of this deal and the trusted dealers on ebay ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Sorry, the price comes around 29,900 after the discount. Got a message from ebay few days back.
I bought it at Sulekha on a Friday for Rs 29.7K too. Probably the same offer. Then a few days later ( Monday) ngpay started offering 10% discounts. The phone was Rs 270 cheaper, i.e, Rs.29430.
I just checked. The prices have not changed. The discount is still on. It's still Rs. 29430, after the 10% discount on ngpay.

By the way, amazing turnaround time by Sulekha! Paid for it on Friday morning. On Saturday evening, a courier calls me & asks where I live, because he had a package for me.
Old 24th June 2012, 17:10   #9828
Senior - BHPian

Team,
After countless discussions and finally deciding to buy NOTE. I went to the store to buy NOTE.

I saw XOLO and it was pretty good. Bought XOLO and came back.
XOLO - Rs 22000
Buyback of i9003 - Rs 9000

Paid Rs 13000.

Processor - 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom.
RAM - 1GB
Storage - 16GB internal
Camera - 8MP
Video Plyback - Can play 1080p videos out of the box.

Last edited by F150 : 24th June 2012 at 17:20.
Old 24th June 2012, 21:11   #9829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which task killer are you using?
I don't use any task killers. There are many tools to see running processes.

App buyers! Please let me know if there are any additional charges for buying from Google Play. Or are any additional charges charged to the card? There is no mention on GP.

Last edited by Raccoon : 24th June 2012 at 21:15.
Old 24th June 2012, 23:03   #9830
Distinguished - BHPian

In my limited experience, no: what you see is what you pay. I guess Google takes its cut as commission from the developers.
Old 25th June 2012, 00:58   #9831
Team-BHP Support

Something out of the blue! An SIII explodes in Ireland in car.

Samsung Galaxy S III explodes in Ireland, company probing the incident | NDTV Gadgets
Old 25th June 2012, 01:23   #9832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In my limited experience, no: what you see is what you pay. I guess Google takes its cut as commission from the developers.
Thanks. Hope it is so. Anybody has experienced otherwise?

Finally got a friend's Credit Card to buy Swiftkey. Its currently going at a discount; as are some other good keyboards like Thumb Keyboard, Smart Keyboard, etc., and other apps, in case anyone is interested. Feels good to buy it, as it has singularly made my phone's 3.3" screen actually "usable"!

Generally tendency is that Indians don't like to buy things and often actually pride in hacking/pirating. I don't deny I was on the verge of doing it myself, as Google wasn't letting me pay by anything except CC. If I hadn't got hold of a CC, I'd almost surely have done it myself. However, the security aspect especially was a concern, esp. since this is a keyboard (for obvious reasons).

I'd like to share this post below, which was made by someone in another forum regarding piracy/hacking:

Quote:
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Devs are people, too. LIke everybody else, they need to eat. Most apps in market cost less than a cup of coffee.

Take ezpdf, for example. It is an extremely useful app. I use it almost everyday for everything. And it only costs $3. Last time I ordered coffee at a restaurant, it cost me $4.

Writepad stylus is another vey useful app. I use it a lot. It costs 99 cents on market. The dev is very responsive. Actually, on friday I sent him an email requesting a feature and today (sunday) he released an update specifically for my request. BTW, he's also a college student trying to pay his way through college with developing.

Look, these are not some big corporations like microsoft that you're stealing apps from. These are regular joes like you and me. Especially when their apps cost less than donut at duncan donuts, you shouldn't take advantage of such a feature.

Here is another incentive for you not to exploit this "weakness" with android market. We all hate drm in our media these days. Whenever I've bought an ebook, the first thing I do is hack it and remove the drm so I can really own it. We all hate drm's. Google market's drm is quite laxed. And I'd like them to keep it that way. I don't want them to start making me jumping through hoops just to prove I've bought the app.
From what I'v been given to understand, Google does not make any money from the market. They don't charge any commission from the devs.

Google has given us a much more open system, unlike the likes of Apple, and also Microsoft. Unless the devs make some money for their hard work, its obviously not going to work out. Devs are already moving over to Apple, etc.

If we Androidans like the freedom we have, let us contribute in whatever small way to buy at least a few apps once in a while... esp. those that have made a difference to us. Even if an app is free, it usually has a "donate" version which you can buy to support the developer and the eco system. You can do it with just Rs. 45+ or so, at a time!

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th June 2012 at 01:38.
Old 25th June 2012, 08:37   #9833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon

Thanks. Hope it is so. Anybody has experienced otherwise?

Finally got a friend's Credit Card to buy Swiftkey......

From what I'v been given to understand, Google does not make any money from the market. They don't charge any commission from the devs.

Google has given us a much more open system, unlike the likes of Apple, and also Microsoft. Unless the devs make some money for their hard work, its obviously not going to work out. Devs are already moving over to Apple, etc.

Bravo! Well said.

But Google does take a cut of 30% of the price.
Old 25th June 2012, 09:48   #9834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon

If we Androidans like the freedom we have, let us contribute in whatever small way to buy at least a few apps once in a while... esp. those that have made a difference to us. Even if an app is free, it usually has a "donate" version which you can buy to support the developer and the eco system. You can do it with just Rs. 45+ or so, at a time!
Very well said Raccoon. IMHO google should also relax the refund policy. I bought max payne last week and it was not downloading the data properly. By the time i download 1.3gb of additiobal data, the refund policy time window expires. Anywyas sent a mail to rockstar, they fixed the issue. A very good game.
Atleast if we cant buy apps during regular times, we can surely buy during Discount times. I bought Fruit Ninja for Rs.5.xx, GTA3 for 55.xx and Asphalt for 55.xx.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:08   #9835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kies is one of the worst ways to update firmware.
samfirmware.com and PC ODIN is the way to go.
Was finally able to update using KIES on Mac . After that got a notification on the phone of an update available !

Downloaded via wifi on phone - small update of 9 MB - now the phone is up to date.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:13   #9836
BHPian

@F150, how is the Xolo working?

Anyone else with a good comparison of Xolo vs One X vs S3???
I know these dont come under the same price bracket but Intel has come here to capture the market.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:30   #9837
Senior - BHPian

@Raccoon: I am using SwiftKey 3 beta (and the thing does not seem to expire at all).
Nothing unofficial. I will send across the link if you are interested.
Old 25th June 2012, 15:03   #9838
BHPian

Quote:
Team,
After countless discussions and finally deciding to buy NOTE. I went to the store to buy NOTE.

I saw XOLO and it was pretty good. Bought XOLO and came back.
Hey,

Congratulations on the new acquisition. I'm really interested in how it performs. A quick write-up please.
Old 25th June 2012, 17:39   #9839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N
@Raccoon: I am using SwiftKey 3 beta (and the thing does not seem to expire at all).
Nothing unofficial. I will send across the link if you are interested.
It will expire day after tomorrow :-)
Old 25th June 2012, 19:41   #9840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I don't use any task killers. There are many tools to see running processes.

App buyers! Please let me know if there are any additional charges for buying from Google Play. Or are any additional charges charged to the card? There is no mention on GP.
Nope, there is no additional charge on the card. They charge the same amount that is shown when you buy the app, although it says that there maybe additional charges. I haven't seen any additional charges so far ( and I have bought more than 10 apps so far in the past 2 months ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
But Google does take a cut of 30% of the price.
As far as I have read, the developers pay 25$ to register to distribute on the Play store. 70% of the cut goes to the developers, while the remaining 30% is distributed among the carriers/ payment processors. Google doesn't take a cut. But this info could be wrong too.

Last edited by Newpunter : 25th June 2012 at 19:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks