Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:11   #9931
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Within 20k , which one I think I need to move out from BB!

Edit: Sola, Galaxy S and ACE II ?

A friend for S3 last day for 38k. Loved it!

Just make sure that the screen resolution is higher or equal to 800*480 and the Ram =/>512 mb and you're good.

I suggest you up your budget by a wee bit and get any of the dual-core monsters.The Atrix2 is a VFM buy at 21k
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:14   #9932
BHPian

Quote:

A friend for S3 last day for 38k. Loved it!
I will advise you to have a look at HTC One V as well. It comes with ICS pre installed.
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:50   #9933
BHPian

Hey guys i need a phone for my dad.His main criterion is a bright enough screen to read in direct sunlight! Also a decent battery life is welcomed(should last at least a whole day with light net browsing and continuous email sync on 3g! no calls or text messages will be done).
Budget is 24k max, cannot increase further.

I was thinking of the Samsung galaxy s advance or sony xperia p.My dad is not tech savy so most features will not be used at all!The GS advance is the front runner with slightly cheaper price,1k less, longer battery life and expandable memory! Is the Sony worth it since the phone will only be used for mails and document editing(no calls,text msg,games etc!!!)

thanks!
Old 4th July 2012, 08:54   #9934
Distinguished - BHPian

In last 1 month since the time i have upgraded to ICS,i've suffered more hang ups and application crashes than what i did in 8 months of use of GB 2.3.3. A weird phenomenon is that nearly every 2-3 days,one of the application vanishes and only its skeleton in black & white remains.Phone says that app is not installed.If i leave the app as such,in another 2-3 days it starts normally!Yesterday was even more dramatic,the date and time got resetted to 1st Jan 2000 GMT!Anyone suffering on similar lines?I'm using Samsung Galaxy S2 with ICS 4.0.3
Old 4th July 2012, 08:57   #9935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector
In last 1 month since the time i have upgraded to ICS,i've suffered more hang ups and application crashes than what i did in 8 months of use of GB 2.3.3. A weird phenomenon is that nearly every 2-3 days,one of the application vanishes and only its skeleton in black & white remains.Phone says that app is not installed.If i leave the app as such,in another 2-3 days it starts normally!Yesterday was even more dramatic,the date and time got resetted to 1st Jan 2000 GMT!Anyone suffering on similar lines?I'm using Samsung Galaxy S2 with ICS 4.0.3
Why don't you get rid of current installation and get a custom ICS rom installed?
Old 4th July 2012, 09:09   #9936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best ROM for MB525

Guys:

Motorola Defy is used by a lot of TBHPians - Which ROM do you think is the best in terms of Battery life, Temperature of the phone [Batt Temp] and smoothness in operation.

I have tried the following:

1. Stock
2. CM7.1 / 7.2
3. Defy-Amoled Green
4. Jboogie Liquid Arc 3.0
5. WIUI various versions
6. CM7 White Rabbit 1.3/1.5

Of these I find #3 and 4 quite good w.r.t the battery life and temp. No FCs etc.

I would like to understand if users have any better ROMs that could be tried.

Thanks

PS: Priorites are min 12 hours talktime per day with roaming and 3G
Old 4th July 2012, 09:16   #9937
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Anyone suffering on similar lines?I'm using Samsung Galaxy S2 with ICS 4.0.3
Did you upgrade using KIES? I downloaded the official firmware and flashed it using ODIN. Also, I wiped the phone along with that (its recommended). I havent faced a single problem that you have listed in here. So maybe, you would want to try resetting your phone and installing your apps from scratch.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Just make sure that the screen resolution is higher or equal to 800*480 and the Ram =/>512 mb and you're good.

I suggest you up your budget by a wee bit and get any of the dual-core monsters.The Atrix2 is a VFM buy at 21k
I suggest you try the Ace II. It has 800*480 screen and 768MB of RAM. There is a Galaxy S Advance too, but I guess it would be more than 20k.

Also, if you are going to try/buy the Ace II, do post your experiences in here as its a very new phone.

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2012 at 12:35. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 4th July 2012, 10:43   #9938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
suffering on similar lines?I'm using Samsung Galaxy S2 with ICS 4.0.3
Though I don't use ICS, what I know is that 4.0.3 was very buggy on Sony phones. 4.0.4 is much better. Probably you should consider upgrading if that option is available. Also see this: Android Latest Update: Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS 4.0.4 FULL AOKP android

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Guys:

1. Stock
2. CM7.1 / 7.2
3. Defy-Amoled Green
5. WIUI various versions

PS: Priorites are min 12 hours talktime per day with roaming and 3G
That is quite a lot of experimentation. I would say, by now you should have the answer.
How can you get 12 hour talktime, when the phone specs indicate 6.5 hours talk time?
BTW: I have only tried 1 and 2 from your list (only 7.1 from point 2 to be more precise).

My view is that the phone does get hot with 3G on. Also, the more apps you launch, the more they get cached and the RAM drops down to say 80 MB or less. There is a good chance that the phone crashes after that.
I prefer to reboot the phone immediately after heavy usage. That helps me bring down the temperature to 30-32 deg from the 40 deg temperatures observed with data ON.

But this could be just with my phone. I am on 7.1.1 since last September or so. I have added tons of applications after that and I think the software needs some maintenance now.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:01   #9939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From one S2 user to another .... switch to SlimROM / SlimICS.

You will feel like you bought a new phone and its perfectly stable ....

(p.s. this ROM is applicable for the i9100... not the i9100G)
Old 4th July 2012, 11:10   #9940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

1. Stock
2. CM7.1 / 7.2
3. Defy-Amoled Green
5. WIUI various versions
#6 as far as I am concerned. CM plain was boring. WIUI is good too but the proximity sensor issue is sometimes a pain.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:20   #9941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You would rarely get the Atrix 2 on stores. I bought mine at Flipkart.I searched all the big dealer and not one of them had it. Ordered it in Flipkart and it was in my hands in 3 days flat! [/url]
Thanks for this. Your comments on the phone clubbed with positive reviews from just about every mobile phone review website gives me the confidence to go for the Atrix 2.

What color handset did you buy? The 6-8 days wait for the licorice is what is putting me off ordering it from fk. I do understand that if it is not available at any store, I rather wait and have it delivered. The wait for the white was only 3 days but I now see that it is the same 6-8 days.

Did you buy a memory card? If yes; what class (speed)? Does the higher speed work well with the Atrix 2? I read very mixed opinions on using a higher speed memory chip.

Is a screen protector required being gorilla glass? If you did buy one, did you buy it off fk? If yes; which one?

What about those rubber jackets for the phone? I rarely drop my phone but I gather that these smart phones won't survive a fall too well. I am kinda against this in fear off trapping the heat within the phone.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:58   #9942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Hey guys i need a phone for my dad.His main criterion is a bright enough screen to read in direct sunlight! Also a decent battery life is welcomed(should last at least a whole day with light net browsing and continuous email sync on 3g! no calls or text messages will be done).
Budget is 24k max, cannot increase further.

I was thinking of the Samsung galaxy s advance or sony xperia p.My dad is not tech savy so most features will not be used at all!The GS advance is the front runner with slightly cheaper price,1k less, longer battery life and expandable memory! Is the Sony worth it since the phone will only be used for mails and document editing(no calls,text msg,games etc!!!)

thanks!
Please correct me if i am wrong.

You said your requirement is something that "should last at least a whole day with light net browsing and continuous email sync on 3g! no calls or text messages will be done)."

In that case i would advise you look at the Samsung Tab at 19k. it has a nice bright screen with 3G support.

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-gala...d-67d8c9b50cb2

On the other hand you can also look at Motorola Atrix 2. there are quite a few Atrix users here and all seem to be very happy with it.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 4th July 2012 at 12:00.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:38   #9943
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What color handset did you buy? The 6-8 days wait for the licorice is what is putting me off ordering it from fk. I do understand that if it is not available at any store, I rather wait and have it delivered. The wait for the white was only 3 days but I now see that it is the same 6-8 days.
I got the black. Though they said 6-8 days, I got it delivered in 3-4 days!

Quote:
Did you buy a memory card? If yes; what class (speed)? Does the higher speed work well with the Atrix 2?
I read very mixed opinions on using a higher speed memory chip.
I did buy a 16GB memory but from local shop and not in Flipkart.

Quote:
Is a screen protector required being gorilla glass? If you did buy one, did you buy it off fk? If yes; which one?
I did get one. Yes that is helpful but not for scratch resistance, but it gives a matt finish which is easy on the fingers.
Search for Atrix-2 accessories and you will find this. Its a mere 200/- but worth. Though it may not be needed for a
Gorrilla glass, but I found it nice.

Quote:
What about those rubber jackets for the phone? I rarely drop my phone but I gather that these smart phones won't survive a fall too well. I am kinda against this in fear off trapping the heat within the phone.
Its definitely worth buying one. Again I got it from flip kart. Though it makes phone bulky, but its very useful to have.

Last edited by ampere : 4th July 2012 at 12:39.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:53   #9944
BHPian

Quote:
A weird phenomenon is that nearly every 2-3 days,one of the application vanishes and only its skeleton in black & white remains.Phone says that app is not installed.If i leave the app as such,in another 2-3 days it starts normally!Yesterday was even more dramatic,the date and time got resetted to 1st Jan 2000 GMT!Anyone suffering on similar lines?I'm using Samsung Galaxy S2 with ICS 4.0.3
Is it happening only with applications installed on the external sd card?
Are the icons coming back when you restart the phone?
I'm using the S2 and I had this problem even with the 2.3.3 in the following condition. If I restarted my phone and did not give enough time and entered the SIM unlock code and screen unlock code, while the sd card is still being read. Some of the icons used to go blank and remain as skeletons and I had to restart my phone and wait for sufficient time for the sd card to be read. In this case, the problem did not occur.
I did an update to ICS 4.0.3 a month back and it's the same as before and actually, the problem seems to be healed, somehow. Now, after I see the skeletons, if I give some settling time, the icons come back, without restarting.
Is it happening at runtime for you? And yes, I did an update using KIES. I never had any stability issues with ICS. No date resetting either.
Old 4th July 2012, 13:07   #9945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Is it happening only with applications installed on the external sd card?
Are the icons coming back when you restart the phone?
I'm using the S2 and I had this problem even with the 2.3.3 in the following condition. If I restarted my phone and did not give enough time and entered the SIM unlock code and screen unlock code, while the sd card is still being read. Some of the icons used to go blank and remain as skeletons and I had to restart my phone and wait for sufficient time for the sd card to be read. In this case, the problem did not occur.
I did an update to ICS 4.0.3 a month back and it's the same as before and actually, the problem seems to be healed, somehow. Now, after I see the skeletons, if I give some settling time, the icons come back, without restarting.
Is it happening at runtime for you? And yes, I did an update using KIES. I never had any stability issues with ICS. No date resetting either.
Yes,all the applications are installed on SD card.I guess you have somehow helped me out. My apps also come back to life if i leave them untouched.I guess its a bug,should be ok with 4.0.4. Any idea when is India getting 4.0.4?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks