Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 13:34   #9946
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Thanks for this. Your comments on the phone clubbed with positive reviews from just about every mobile phone review website gives me the confidence to go for the Atrix 2.

What color handset did you buy? The 6-8 days wait for the licorice is what is putting me off ordering it from fk. I do understand that if it is not available at any store, I rather wait and have it delivered. The wait for the white was only 3 days but I now see that it is the same 6-8 days.

Did you buy a memory card? If yes; what class (speed)? Does the higher speed work well with the Atrix 2? I read very mixed opinions on using a higher speed memory chip.

Is a screen protector required being gorilla glass? If you did buy one, did you buy it off fk? If yes; which one?

What about those rubber jackets for the phone? I rarely drop my phone but I gather that these smart phones won't survive a fall too well. I am kinda against this in fear off trapping the heat within the phone.
Even I bought Atrix2 a month back from US for $220. It was AT&T locked. I unlocked it and been using since 4 weeks. Its a great phone. Never slows down. Battery is good wrt other phones in market. But heavier than other phones in same segment. However it "feels" much stronger than Samsung. Im pretty happy with phone. Below is list of accessories I bought to complete the buy:

Case:
Black Case Cover - Plastic with Rubber Trim for Motorola Atrix 2 MB865 | eBay

Screen Gaurd:
6x Clear Screen Protector Shield Film Skin Guard For Motorola Atrix 2 II MB865 | eBay

HDMI Cable:
10FT Type A to D Micro 1.4 HDMI Cable For Motorola XOOM / Blackberry Playbook | eBay

OTG cable - Just ordered, my colleague will get it after 2 weeks:
Micro USB Host OTG Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy S II 2 I9100 | eBay

Powered USB Hub - Just ordered, my colleague will get it after 2 weeks:
New 7 Port Hi-Speed USB 2.0 HUB + AC Power Adapter Black | eBay

Samsung 16GB Class 6 uSD card for Rs 550/- from HomeShop18 India

I hope this info helps.
Old 4th July 2012, 13:49   #9947
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best ROM for MB525

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
How can you get 12 hour talktime, when the phone specs indicate 6.5 hours talk time?
BTW: I have only tried 1 and 2 from your list (only 7.1 from point 2 to be more precise).

My view is that the phone does get hot with 3G on. Also, the more apps you launch, the more they get cached and the RAM drops down to say 80 MB or less. There is a good chance that the phone crashes after that.
I prefer to reboot the phone immediately after heavy usage. That helps me bring down the temperature to 30-32 deg from the 40 deg temperatures observed with data ON.

But this could be just with my phone. I am on 7.1.1 since last September or so. I have added tons of applications after that and I think the software needs some maintenance now.
The problem is actually battery temperature - If it exceeds 40 then battery falls rapidly..best is 20 something but my work is not in a controlled temperature environment.

Yes 3G sucks battery and increases the temp too. Wifi is better.

That post was only to understand any better ROMs available.

Getting 6 hours or more TT is easy
Old 4th July 2012, 15:33   #9948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I did buy a 16GB memory but from local shop and not in Flipkart.
What memory card class (speed) did you buy? Was the price cheaper at the local store than fk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its definitely worth buying one. Again I got it from flip kart. Though it makes phone bulky, but its very useful to have.
For the phone jacket, which one do you recommend?

Thank you for your replies. Will order everything once I hear from you again.
Old 4th July 2012, 15:43   #9949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Samsung 16GB Class 6 uSD card for Rs 550/- from HomeShop18 India
What is a uSD card?

Is this a good buy considering it is class 10?

Strontium Memory Card 32 GB MicroSDHC Memory Card (Class 10) | Memory Card | Flipkart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
I hope this info helps.
Incredibly helpful.
Old 4th July 2012, 16:32   #9950
Senior - BHPian

update:-

My phone is back after warranty mother board replacement. Was loaded with stock 4.0.3 ICS(Galaxy note that is).

Went back and loaded CM9 RC1.

My feedback:-

Now CM9 is what ICS is all about. It is 4.0.4.

Goods:-
Very light
Minimal apps
Highly Snappy.
Very fast.
Can run the system @1.4

Greats:-
A huge array of customization
- Home screen
- Status bar
- Notification(can have their own colors)
- Boot animation is kick a**
- Lock screen customization
- What is lag?(lagless ness rather)
- Apollo player
- Rooted and comes with some dev tools
- Settings is like buying a new camera and trying to figure the various menu options. Just so much fun.

All i can say is if you want to know what ICS is give CM9 a try. I am not going back to any samsung ROM anytime soon.
Old 4th July 2012, 18:15   #9951
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Guys which is the best place in BLR to buy phone cases/covers for my G.Note? Tried Croma etc etc. but they all have one or two crappy ones.
Old 4th July 2012, 18:22   #9952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Guys which is the best place in BLR to buy phone cases/covers for my G.Note? Tried Croma etc etc. but they all have one or two crappy ones.
Try this, they got lot of choices and free shipping. They deliver very fast too.

Samsung Galaxy Note Case
Old 4th July 2012, 19:02   #9953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Try WRAPPZ.IN. Not exactly a case or a cover, actually a SKIN, and provides VERY GOOD scratch protection and durability. I have been using this on two of my devices for around 4-6 months now, and am very impressed with the quality.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:08   #9954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Try this, they got lot of choices and free shipping. They deliver very fast too.

Samsung Galaxy Note Case

I got an excellent white cover hard silicone type for 200 bucks from Indo Dubai Plaza. They have excellent covers many of which are multi functional like as a stand to watch movies and also as screen guard. Thats the best place to go if you want fancy covers for any phone or tablet. But you gotta bargain hard. Usually helps if you buy 3 4 covers together for different phones. Then you can get the price down a lot.

Cheers

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 4th July 2012 at 19:11.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:14   #9955
BHPian

Quote:
What memory card class (speed) did you buy? Was the price cheaper at the local store than fk?

For the phone jacket, which one do you recommend?

Thank you for your replies. Will order everything once I hear from you again.
I read in some forums that there is issue with Class10 cards in Atrix2. Hence I ordered Class 6. I stream FullHD videos over HDMI and also play games which are 330MB+ over HDMI. Havent seen it stuck!

I think Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay has few sellers who ship to India and at par with indian rates. you can order case from there.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:17   #9956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your comments on the phone clubbed with positive reviews from just about every mobile phone review website gives me the confidence to go for the Atrix 2.
Checkout Homeshop18 for a superdeal coming up tomorrow noon. Atrix-2 at Rs 18218.

HomeShop18.com Superdeals: Samsung, Nokia, Philips, Motorola and more...
Old 4th July 2012, 20:40   #9957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
update:-

My phone is back after warranty mother board replacement. Was loaded with stock 4.0.3 ICS(Galaxy note that is).

Went back and loaded CM9 RC1.

My feedback:-

Now CM9 is what ICS is all about. It is 4.0.4.

Goods:-
Very light
Minimal apps
Highly Snappy.
Very fast.
Can run the system @1.4

Greats:-
A huge array of customization
- Home screen
- Status bar
- Notification(can have their own colors)
- Boot animation is kick a**
- Lock screen customization
- What is lag?(lagless ness rather)
- Apollo player
- Rooted and comes with some dev tools
- Settings is like buying a new camera and trying to figure the various menu options. Just so much fun.

All i can say is if you want to know what ICS is give CM9 a try. I am not going back to any samsung ROM anytime soon.
1. How's the battery life?
2. Are all features functional? Like spen and related apps?
Old 4th July 2012, 22:03   #9958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor

1. How's the battery life?
2. Are all features functional? Like spen and related apps?
I doubt if the roms have SPen functionality. You have to make do with other apps as SPen is proprietary to samsung. Thats the main reason why i havent switched from my touchwiz.
Experts maybe able to shed some light on this.
Old 4th July 2012, 22:37   #9959
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what is this thing about updates. I get frequent notifications about updates available for the apps that I had downloaded earlier. This happens way too often too. Some very ordinary apps and games also come up with updates, even after updating them, there is no significant change in their performance etc. Even T-BHP app has come up with an update a while back. Is this true or just hog wash ? And how to disable these notifications. What do you guys do ?
Old 4th July 2012, 23:28   #9960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this. Your comments on the phone clubbed with positive reviews from just about every mobile phone review website gives me the confidence to go for the Atrix 2.

What color handset did you buy? The 6-8 days wait for the licorice is what is putting me off ordering it from fk. I do understand that if it is not available at any store, I rather wait and have it delivered. The wait for the white was only 3 days but I now see that it is the same 6-8 days.

Did you buy a memory card? If yes; what class (speed)? Does the higher speed work well with the Atrix 2? I read very mixed opinions on using a higher speed memory chip.

Is a screen protector required being gorilla glass? If you did buy one, did you buy it off fk? If yes; which one?

What about those rubber jackets for the phone? I rarely drop my phone but I gather that these smart phones won't survive a fall too well. I am kinda against this in fear off trapping the heat within the phone.
I too have been using the Atrix 2 for over 3 months now and am happy with the phone. I actually bought it from a store in Pune as they were about 500 rs cheaper than Flipkart (got it @ 21700).

I had a dead pixel issue - a single pixel had died. It was visible only on white backgrounds, but Moto honoured warranty and replaced my screen

I am using a class 6 8 gb sandisk card and am pretty happy with it. No problems. Bought the card off flipkart for about Rs.400.

Also, use a screen protector. Mine got a light scratch . It's barely noticable, but its there. I have now bought a matte finish screen card from fommy.co.in for Rs.120. My only grouse with this screen guard is that it takes away the sharpness from the screen. Otherwise very good and it is fingerprint resistant.

All in all super phone for the price it sells at. The 1gb ram is the best part. GTA 3 plays really well on this phone. Just love it.

Of course the big battery is also a big positive. I get a full day with 3g on full time and a lot of whatspp & browsing.

I got the Amzer rubber case as well. It is good, in the sense you get a better grip on the phone and small falls will keep the phone safe, but the one I bought is fully rubber which makes the case absorb dust.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 4th July 2012 at 23:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks