Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 17:51   #9976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979

I use an app called quick profiles. You can create any number of profiles, then just select the profile as needed.
I don't select the profiles, i use llama, and it is something like tasker app, such let's you automate many things based on location, time and some other states... So profile switching happens automatically based on cell location (no gps needed) and wifi, bt etc are also managed automatically.
Old 5th July 2012, 18:11   #9977
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Need Advice:
I am running my Samsung Galaxy Ace with CM9 ICS 4.0.4. I have just downloaded Sygic Maps and want to start using this on my phone for Navigation. So obviously, my phone is rooted and also running on a ROM that isn't 100% stable yet.

The question is should I safely go ahead and spend the 40 odd dollars and activate Sygic, or are there likely to be issues in using this?
Thanks in advance...
Old 5th July 2012, 21:02   #9978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Need Advice:
I am running my Samsung Galaxy Ace with CM9 ICS 4.0.4. I have just downloaded Sygic Maps and want to start using this on my phone for Navigation. So obviously, my phone is rooted and also running on a ROM that isn't 100% stable yet.

The question is should I safely go ahead and spend the 40 odd dollars and activate Sygic, or are there likely to be issues in using this?
Thanks in advance...
If you like things for free then try Google maps. Search for maps 6.9 + ownhere on XDA forums to get an apk that has offline navigation enabled for the latest Google maps. Give it a shot at least. It needs a rooted device to install.
Old 5th July 2012, 21:19   #9979
Senior - BHPian

Might get the Atrix 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Can't Thank you enough for this. Just placed the order for the Atrix 2 and a San Disk Class 6 16gb memory card. Total Rs. 19017.

But yeah, it took over an hour for that coupon code to come up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Just make sure that the screen resolution is higher or equal to 800*480 and the Ram =/>512 mb and you're good.

I suggest you up your budget by a wee bit and get any of the dual-core monsters.The Atrix2 is a VFM buy at 21k
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I will advise you to have a look at HTC One V as well. It comes with ICS pre installed.
18.5k! awesome price but it reminds me of the Legend :(
Old 5th July 2012, 21:36   #9980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Tried searching this thread but could not find. Are there any good apps which help you to maintain sound prodfiles
(meeting/general/external etc)
I use an app called Profile Scheduler. It lets you control you wifi and data connections etc apart from the sound profiles.
Very easy to setup and you can set profiles based on time and also quickly switch using a widget.
Old 5th July 2012, 21:55   #9981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Wow. Now that is worth waiting for and it is just a few hours away. I have one question, how reliable is homeshop18? I don't want to end up with something broken or used and then have to struggle with getting it replaced.

I ask this cause my experience with flipkart has not been so good and these chaps are supposed to be the most customer oriented folk. I have had good experiences but the last two orders were a nightmare and flipkart were not as pro active.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Have never used Homeshop18 before, so no feedback. But just a few pages back someone had mentioned about buying a HTC One X using one of these superdeals, so may be you can check with him.
Yep that was me. Ordered the HTC One X last wednesday afternoon, despatched on Saturday and received on Tuesday. Fantastic packaging and mind blowing price. No issues whatsoever. This was my first experience with HomeShop18 and I wouldnt hesitate to use them again.

As for the phone...its amazing! Highly recommended and at 29k it was a steal. Super features and am loving it!

Cheers.
Old 5th July 2012, 23:06   #9982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
......I have just downloaded Sygic Maps and want to start using this on my phone for Navigation.......
I paid and got Sygic for my Vivaz but the phone GPS never worked, ended up buying an external Holux dedicated GPS/logger. I dont know if it applies to your phone software, but just sharing what I went through. One good thing about my situation is: I never need a data connection for navigation, because Holux is a stand alone GPS device paired with phone via bluetooth and the Sygic has all the maps. Its a breeze !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Yep that was me. Ordered the HTC One X last wednesday afternoon, despatched on Saturday and received on Tuesday. Fantastic packaging and mind blowing price......
I was trying to place an order of another product today, it showed a 1000 buck coupon code, but repeatedly showed the 'before discount' price at the final payment page. Gave up after few attempts. Their prices are far better than most other online sellers.
Old 6th July 2012, 00:20   #9983
LDJ
BHPian

Need a small favour. Planning on buying the Defy XT or Defy Plus mainly due to its robust nature in handling extremities.

Couple of questions:

1. Which is better Defy plus or Defy XT & why?

2. I saw quite a few people complain about the Defy plus rebooting on its own several times a day. Has anyone encountered this? Is there any remedy (like a firmware update) for the same?

Thanks!
Old 6th July 2012, 09:06   #9984
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I use an app called quick profiles. You can create any number of profiles, then just select the profile as needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't select the profiles, i use llama, and it is something like tasker app, such let's you automate many things based on location, time and some other states... So profile switching happens automatically based on cell location (no gps needed) and wifi, bt etc are also managed automatically.
Thanks guys. Both the apps seem good (tried both). But as @clever said, since profiles can automatically be switched, its even nicer !
Old 6th July 2012, 10:30   #9985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Highly recommended and at 29k it was a steal. Super features and am loving it!

Cheers.
HOX at 29k!!! When/where was that? Thats unbelievable price for that phone.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:12   #9986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep that was me. Ordered the HTC One X last wednesday afternoon, despatched on Saturday and received on Tuesday. Fantastic packaging and mind blowing price. No issues whatsoever. This was my first experience with HomeShop18 and I wouldnt hesitate to use them again.
As for the phone...its amazing! Highly recommended and at 29k it was a steal. Super features an am loving it!
Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
HOX at 29k!!! When/where was that? Thats unbelievable price for that phone.
OneX at 29K? Looks like a very tempting deal!! I will wait for some more months...because OneX configuration is noway going to start its trip towards being obsolete in the near future. And yes, I have that repulsion from S3, generally all Samsung phones... so OneX is still the phone to get.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th July 2012 at 11:14.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:22   #9987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDJ View Post
Need a small favour. Planning on buying the Defy XT or Defy Plus mainly due to its robust nature in handling extremities.

Couple of questions:

1. Which is better Defy plus or Defy XT & why?

2. I saw quite a few people complain about the Defy plus rebooting on its own several times a day. Has anyone encountered this? Is there any remedy (like a firmware update) for the same?

Thanks!
I am using a Dey + for almost 3 months now and except the phone lag during connected to Mains charger i have not faced any issues. I get an amazing battery life. easily 1.5 days with EDGE + calls.

Coming to Defy + vs Dey XT. AFAIK the primary difference is the front facing camera. in terms of RAM, battery, Processor etc both phones are exactly identical. So if you need a front facing camera, I would advise you go ahead with the XT else Plus. I am not sure of its current asking price for both.

Regards,
Old 6th July 2012, 11:24   #9988
Team-BHP Support

Atrix-HD revealed with ICS

Motorola Quietly Reveals The LTE-Friendly, Kevlar-Clad Atrix HD | TechCrunch
Old 6th July 2012, 12:46   #9989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks guys. Both the apps seem good (tried both). But as @clever said, since profiles can automatically be switched, its even nicer !
I second that. I am using Llama from Day 1 of my android experience and I simply don't care about profiles these days. Some of the actions I've put are as follows.

1) Profile changes to "Office" on working days in "Office" area.
2) Switch back to general profile when I leave "Office" area
3) Switch on WiFi once am in "Home" area
4) After 10.30 PM, if am in "Home" area and my screen switches off, wait for 5 minutes and disable Mobile data, then change profile to Night. This is my night profile
5) Morning 6.30 back to life by changing profile to normal, enabling mobile data.

Llama is simply the best
Old 6th July 2012, 12:51   #9990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac

I second that. I am using Llama from Day 1 of my android experience and I simply don't care about profiles these days. Some of the actions I've put are as follows.

1) Profile changes to "Office" on working days in "Office" area.
2) Switch back to general profile when I leave "Office" area
3) Switch on WiFi once am in "Home" area
4) After 10.30 PM, if am in "Home" area and my screen switches off, wait for 5 minutes and disable Mobile data, then change profile to Night. This is my night profile
5) Morning 6.30 back to life by changing profile to normal, enabling mobile data.

Llama is simply the best
You guys can give Tasker a shot. It's a bit complicated to use but it's about more than just profile switching. You're only limited by your imagination!

Most Viewed