Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 01:34   #10171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
For Galaxy S there is nothing better than the stable CM7. I am running this and the phone feels twice faster if not thrice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

+1 to that. CM7 is the best ROM for galaxy S, and they have listed the phone as a supported phone on their website as well. Go for the stable variant of CM7
Hey guys, the Cynogen website seems to be not in working condition (may be temporarily down). I found another site which is also having CM7 ROM. Can anyone tell me if this is genuine? -> Best Galaxy S ROM[list]
Old 19th July 2012, 02:28   #10172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Friends,

Need to gift a android phone to my sister this Rakhi. I have a budget of about 10-12k. Kindly suggest the best phone available within this range. Can extend by couple of grands if required.

Thanks!
Either go down a couple K and get an Optimus Net or HTC Explorer or go up couple k and get something better from Sony or the Defy or such. IIRC, there is no good Android phone worth the money, in the price range you have mentioned.
Old 19th July 2012, 04:48   #10173
Senior - BHPian

Rooted the phone and got the CM7 ROM. But now I'm facing a problem with Play Store, basically no play store is there now. How do I get Play Store now to install apps? My first time flashing of ROM and I'm bit worried. Please help.
Old 19th July 2012, 05:40   #10174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Rooted the phone and got the CM7 ROM. But now I'm facing a problem with Play Store, basically no play store is there now. How do I get Play Store now to install apps? My first time flashing of ROM and I'm bit worried. Please help.
Missing Market App/Getting Google Play - Google Play Help might help you.

Quote:
Missing the Play Store app from your app launcher
If the Google Play Store app doesn't appear in your app launcher, turn your device completely off (you'll need to power down - just turning off the screen is not sufficient). When you power the device back on, check the app launcher again.
Old 19th July 2012, 08:43   #10175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s
Download google apps zip and flash it from recovery.
Old 19th July 2012, 08:54   #10176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Headers & hiren959 - Sorry on Motorola :( However when compared, I found the battery life is good with Motorola compared to XPeria U; good.
I get around 12 hours [ heavy use ] and 26 hours [light use] on a rooted Defy running CM 7.2 - V6 supercharged!

I have no complaints - especially when compared to my Galaxy 3[ I5801 ] which lasts me a few hours only even with a few calls and some wifi

Any ROMs that would help revitalize the I 5801? or should it retire ?
Old 19th July 2012, 09:56   #10177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Need to gift a android phone to my sister this Rakhi. I have a budget of about 10-12k. Kindly suggest the best phone available within this range. Can extend by couple of grands if required.

Thanks!
HTC Wildfire S, Samsung Galaxy Ace and Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini are available in 11-12k price range.

Keep in mind that these are outdated models. Not a problem if purchased for a casual user, but will not satisfy a power user.

If you are not particular about Android, you could also consider Nokia Lumia 610 (Windows) and Nokia 603 (Symbian) phones in 12k price range.

Rohan
Old 19th July 2012, 10:09   #10178
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Thanks!
Moto defy plus available at 12750/-
Motorola Defy Plus Price in India, Buy Motorola Defy Plus, Reviews & Features, Motorola Mobiles India - Infibeam.com
Old 19th July 2012, 11:15   #10179
Senior - BHPian

Flashed my Samsung Galaxy S to JB . Some interesting applications.

Google voice is far faster and accurate than previous versions.

Google now is working. But hit and miss at this time. It does search though.

S-Voice is not there in this flash.

Overall the phone is stable. Battery is good so far. Wifi is working, 3G is working. Signal is as before in CM7.

Google earth, google play, google plus, currents,OI File manager, Play magazines, Play books and Play store.

After few reboots the system is definitely faster now.

Instruction to flash:-

From CM7 or CM9 - Just download the JB rom from TAJB thread in XDA(V6), Download super user and Download Devil Kernel.
Flash the ROM, Superuser and Kernel in that order.

You are good to go.

Interface and everything else is exactly like ICS. Couldnt see a major difference. But the speed has improved drastically.

I feel the JB for other devices should change the way we look at samsung phones for the application it is coming up with.

Future should be just the device and google virtual storage which has the OS image.
Old 19th July 2012, 14:19   #10180
LDJ
BHPian

Finally a serious competition to Defy XT in terms of robustness. Do check out this video

HomeSHop18 giving an amazing discount on this phone today! @16899

HomeShop18.com Superdeals: Huawei 3G Router, Sony Xperia Go, Satrang Saree, Skin & Hair Care

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2012 at 17:29. Reason: Correcting youtube video embedding
Old 19th July 2012, 15:25   #10181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Flashed my Samsung Galaxy S to JB . Some interesting applications.

Future should be just the device and google virtual storage which has the OS image.
Great to know you have a good experience running the V6 of TAJB project.
I have a galaxy S and was running Slim ICS till day before yesterday and flashed Pawitp's CM10 unofficial port. It had some lags initially, but is working fine now after a few reboots. Only issue is Camera is not working. Ill re-flash and see if that works.
Was also keen to flash Slim JB, but will not get carried away for now.
Old 19th July 2012, 16:48   #10182
BHPian

Can somebody suggest a few Androids in the 15-20K price range please?
Is it true that the HTC Sense interface beats all others hands down and is even better that the iphone?
Last but not the least, is an android really better than the iphone? I don't own either but in a month I will own one for sure.

I wanted to buy the Google Nexus but it is no longer available in India.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 19th July 2012 at 16:50.
Old 19th July 2012, 18:04   #10183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Download google apps zip and flash it from recovery.
Thanks, found that in another thread at androidsoul and flashed the google apps and it's working perfectly now.
Few scares I had after flashing CM7 -
- Messaging was hanging whenever I try to open any restored SMS. Now it started working after I sent an SMS to myself. Funny.
- Previously the external SD was shown in a different folder (/mnt/sdcard/externalSD) and after rooting that folder was empty. Later I found that now it's mounted on a different location /mnt/emmc/
- I liked the Swype keyboard and it's no longer there, but probably I can install it?
- In the call log/contacts previously (in TouchWiz/Samsung ROM) right swipe will start a call and left swipe would create a message for that contact. Missing it on the new dialler. Anyway to get those options back?
- Is there any option to view new SMS directly from the lock screen? Previously it used to show as a jigsaw puzzle piece on the locked screen and all it needed is to put that piece in it's correct place to read the new SMS. But now it's long process of unlocking the screen, open Message and then select and open the new SMS. Same thing for missed calls too.
- Not liking the ADW launcher as much as the Go Launcher. Will again go back to Go Launcher tonight..
Other than these the phone is now feeling faster and atleast till now it's not hanging. But it was like this even after installing Gingerbread before too. But after a few weeks the phone was acting up again. Hope this time it would keep on working.
Anyway, thanks a lot to all you guys for the help.
Regards,
Old 19th July 2012, 18:21   #10184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- I liked the Swype keyboard and it's no longer there, but probably I can install it?
Install touchpal keyboard from playstore. It has swype and other additional gestures as well.

Quote:
- In the call log/contacts previously (in TouchWiz/Samsung ROM) right swipe will start a call and left swipe would create a message for that contact. Missing it on the new dialler. Anyway to get those options back?
Install ex-Dialer app from playstore. It has the same gestures and is faster than the Samsung contacts/dialer app.

Quote:
- Is there any option to view new SMS directly from the lock screen? Previously it used to show as a jigsaw puzzle piece on the locked screen and all it needed is to put that piece in it's correct place to read the new SMS. But now it's long process of unlocking the screen, open Message and then select and open the new SMS. Same thing for missed calls too.
MIUI lock screens used to have this feature. You might have to explore custom lock screens here.

Quote:
- Not liking the ADW launcher as much as the Go Launcher. Will again go back to Go Launcher tonight..
Go launcher is more aesthetic, but is also heavy on system resource usage.
Old 19th July 2012, 19:54   #10185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor
Last but not the least, is an android really better than the iphone?
Android: More free applications than Iphone

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks