Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:33   #10486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig
Hello friends. Ive rooted my note and now im planning to go the custom ROM way. Xda has a plethora of options and has me in confusion what to opt for.

My requirements are
- better battery life. Recently my phone has been drinking exces battery after i installed Go launcher after rooting.

-S Note app or something similar which will help me take notes, memos and annotate pics. And also retain the stylus facilities.

-is it possible to get default ICS same to same as in Nexus phones? Or even jelly bean for the note.

Any recommendations from experts and Note users?

Many thanks in advance.
Go for the Paranoid Android v0.5 rom. Its a CM 9 rom based on pure ics vanilla (same as nexus). The most stable and fastest rom. Also very light. Just 135 mb of space. Just 2 things - fm radio not included and SNote. You cannot get sNote anyway until you flash a custom rom based on samsung touchwiz which are very slow in comparison.
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:44   #10487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686

Go for the Paranoid Android v0.5 rom. Its a CM 9 rom based on pure ics vanilla (same as nexus). The most stable and fastest rom. Also very light. Just 135 mb of space. Just 2 things - fm radio not included and SNote. You cannot get sNote anyway until you flash a custom rom based on samsung touchwiz which are very slow in comparison.
Thanks for that and ive a few more questions.
Will i get any hardbrick issues after installing this rom? EMMC app shows my phone to have that affected storage which may cause hardbrick.

And if i flash this rom can i get rid of all the samsung apps? I dont want touchwiz at all except the S note.

Does the stylus work properly in this rom? And can i install GoLauncher on custom roms?

Also is it possible to downgrade to official Samsung GB from ICS?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 3rd August 2012 at 18:00.
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:49   #10488
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

My Nexus S got an official update to 4.1.1 a few days back, i must say JB is super smooth! What a change its been compared to the ICS update which though feature rich, was not smooth.

'Google now' is pretty cool to use as well, one can do voice search and set alarms etc using it. No accent issues either, though it goes horribly wrong at times!

All in all 4.1.1 update makes a lot of difference to the user experience and i'm happy my humble Nexus S was updated !
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:12   #10489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig

Thanks for that and ive a few more questions.
Will i get any hardbrick issues after installing this rom? EMMC app shows my phone to have that affected storage which may cause hardbrick.

And if i flash this rom can i get rid of all the samsung apps? I dont want touchwiz at all except the S note.

Does the stylus work properly in this rom? And can i install GoLauncher on custom roms?

Also is it possible to downgrade to official Samsung GB from ICS?

Thanks in advance.
1. To install this rom or any ics based rom you first need to be on a Gingerbread or stock rom. Yes if your not on it you can downgrade it. Its very simple just youtube it. Once you get to GB rom you can then directly flash this. Hardbricks dont happen when you do with proper steps.

2. Yes you get rid of everything samsung. You have a beautiful and very awesomely modded ICS pure vanilla. Its beautiful trust me and it has an option of hybrid so that you can change the look to tablet style. And its so smooth and fast. No jerks,lags nothing as it is with official rom.its like JB

3. Yes the stylus works properly but you wont get the SNote. I dont know whether you can flash snote or not. Yes you can use any launcher.there are some pre-installed as well. But seriously you wont need one. Its superfast!

4. As i said you can downgrade from any firmware. Read 1 again.

Last edited by ethan3686 : 3rd August 2012 at 18:13.
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:15   #10490
BHPian

Hey guys.. in a fix.. Planning to purchase a smartphone. Budget -INR 12000/- max. Priorities are mainly internet browsing-mail n stuff and gotta have a big screen (3.5'') for reading pdf files n docs etc. (as I have a HTC Wildfire which I will be disposing off).

I have my eyes set on Samsung Galaxy Ace 5380. Hows that? any major pros n cons regarding my requirements??? any other choices in this budget.. Plz help.. planning to do the deed in the next week.

Mods- plz shift to appropriate thread if needed.
Old 3rd August 2012, 19:11   #10491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
Hey guys.. in a fix.. Planning to purchase a smartphone. Budget -INR 12000/- max. Priorities are mainly internet browsing-mail n stuff and gotta have a big screen (3.5'') for reading pdf files n docs etc. (as I have a HTC Wildfire which I will be disposing off).

I have my eyes set on Samsung Galaxy Ace 5380. Hows that? any major pros n cons regarding my requirements??? any other choices in this budget.. Plz help.. planning to do the deed in the next week.

Galaxy ace has 3.5" screen, Only <200 mb internal memory. Low resolution !
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

SE Xperia Ray : 3.3" but 854X480. Amazing resolution ! Internal memory is around 300 mbs
Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray ST18i: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

LG optimus P970: 4 Incher ! nice resolution, Internal memory is 2 GBs !! Personally i am not a big fan of LG mobiles. Specs are great.
LG Optimus Black P970: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com
There are a few Motorola ones as well. Samsung ones are good but i don't know why the hell they keep the resolution low. The budget ones have bad resolutions. Its like watching a CRT upclose.

Let me know which one you go with. I am using galaxy duos and a symbian 5233.
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:05   #10492
BHPian

Quote:

If camera is not very important than I'd suggest Defy Plus. You can find it online for around 13k (Motorola Defy Plus Price India|Motorola Defy Plus Price List|Motorola Defy Plus Rates), its a good performer and rugged too.

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd August 2012, 21:52   #10493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Honest to god,

Aircel's iphone 3GS. 10k only man.

or the karbonn a18 or something. 12k doesn't get you a much better machine. plus the iphone will be upto date with the latest softwares so that's unlike any other 12k phone you will buy.

Think hard else in 12.7k, u will get the defy+ on the net.
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:19   #10494
BHPian

Please tell me which is better between Samsung Galaxy Gio and Samsung Galaxy Mini 2. Hope to hear soon. I need it for net surfing and gaming etc.
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:41   #10495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Any one using Xperia Ray updated to official ICS?
Updated successfully since it's roll-out and to 4.0.4 a month later.

Everything is working fine and I'm very satisfied.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 3rd August 2012, 23:05   #10496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu

Updated successfully since it's roll-out and to 4.0.4 a month later.

Everything is working fine and I'm very satisfied.

Cheers!

Vinu
One simple question. Do I have to back up downloaded apps before updating. If yes where on cloud or pc? I am still on 2.3.4. Was waiting for report of. Ugs removal. I have updated only once 4 months back i.e. Immediately after purchase when no apps were downloaded.
Old 3rd August 2012, 23:43   #10497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
1. To install this rom or any ics based rom you first need to be on a Gingerbread or stock rom. Yes if your not on it you can downgrade it. Its very simple just Youtube it. Once you get to GB rom you can then directly flash this. Hardbricks dont happen when you do with proper steps.
Sir regarding this hardbrick issue with the XXLPY firmwares, Ive a question. I was watching this video on yt regarding rooting and they spoke of Kernel.

Here towards the end of the video they say that if the kernel is changed then we wont have any hardbrick or eMMC issues. So should i flash their kernel? Ive already rooted according to the video tutorial, but will adding the kernel allow me to prevent hardbricks when doing factory reset or deleting files?

Also to get Paranoid Android rom do I need to get back to GB or i can flash from ICS itself? (I wasnt able to understand the downgrading part; hence the question )

Thanks again.
Old 3rd August 2012, 23:44   #10498
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Aircel's iphone 3GS. 10k only man..
HTC One X is also 10K. Upfront. Then you can pay monthly.
I really doubt Aircel is giving you iphone 3GS for 10K, without extracting any monthly payments. Simply does not compute.
Old 4th August 2012, 00:06   #10499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
HTC One X is also 10K. Upfront. Then you can pay monthly.
I really doubt Aircel is giving you iphone 3GS for 10K, without extracting any monthly payments. Simply does not compute.
The catch is 3000rs cash in advance along with the 9999rs for the phone. That 3000rs however gives unlimited( IIRC) data usage for 2g plans and 2gb for 3G plans for an entire year.

But the good thing is you get an unlocked phone. So we can use it on any network
Old 4th August 2012, 00:56   #10500
Team-BHP Support

So its a 13000rs unlocked phone, no contract needed?
I think there will be minimal usage criteria, for example, you need to be on Aircel network for a year or so whatever

Most Viewed