Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 10:58   #10576
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
Saw this thread so posting my query again here from the mobile and electronics thread, my cousin is looking to buy a new handset max budget is 20 k, which is the best available android handset for her, she asked about samsung galaxy S Advance, how this handset, is it worth buying or shall look out for some other handset.
I own the gs Advance.Its a good phone with a nice AMOLED screen and fluid UI. The phone has some signal issues which is quite common ,this is a problem only in places with poor connectivity or low range where another phone will show you one or two bars but this one will show none! Also there is no zoom feature in camera mode so one has to install an app called sleek camera which will take care of the problem to some extent.

If your cousin doesn't have any brand loyalty then the Motorola atrix 2 is a worthy competitor with a bigger screen, more ram and bigger battery endurance.
Also take a look at the sony xperia p, great screen but the battery life may be a suspect! though the cost will be slightly higher.
Also have a look at the xolo x900 and xperia u!
it all comes down to what your cousin prefers.She will be the best judge!
Old 8th August 2012, 11:07   #10577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Guys, tried the firmware update using kies. Got an error message "Insufficient space. 3000MB required" What does that mean?

Also, did anyone get OTA software update? I got the notification yesterday night. Didnt update since I was using 2G. Tried today morning but got "No software Update".

Anyone else got this?
I had the same issue on my Tab 2. I got notification while I was away from Wifi. So I didn't do it. For the next few days, there was no notification and OTA said no updates available. Yesterday night again I got the notification and downloaded right away on WiFi So the catch is you should grab it when the device says or else she'll pull back the offer
Old 8th August 2012, 11:15   #10578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I had the same issue on my Tab 2. I got notification while I was away from Wifi. So I didn't do it. For the next few days, there was no notification and OTA said no updates available. Yesterday night again I got the notification and downloaded right away on WiFi So the catch is you should grab it when the device says or else she'll pull back the offer
Thanks. Is it the Android 4.0.4 update? As of now no updates available. Didnt have access to wifi yesterday night so didnt go for the update.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:17   #10579
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Is it the Android 4.0.4 update? As of now no updates available. Didnt have access to wifi yesterday night so didnt go for the update.
Yes, it was the 4.0.4 update. There were two parts for it. First it downloaded a 75MB update and afterwards a 28MB one.
Old 8th August 2012, 12:02   #10580
BHPian

Anybody here using a Galaxy Nexus? I have been reading about poor battery life and signal drop issues. Need first hand reviews of the phone. I am planning on getting one very soon.

I can get it at 22k from UAE. Is it worth the price? I am OK with the lack of warranty.
Old 8th August 2012, 13:10   #10581
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I got my Note upgraded to 4.0.4 through Kies (that was my last try). This time I used the data cable provided with the Note. Battery was fully charged. The whole process took around 1 hr. I didn't touch my phone a single time during the update process.
Old 8th August 2012, 13:52   #10582
Senior - BHPian

4.0.4 brings RSAP back to Android phones.

RSAP was missing in ICS but the 4.0.4 brings back RSAP.

My note connects with my RCD510 seamlessly and the best part is to listen to the SMS when you are driving.

Cyanogenmod does not have this feature.

CM9 or CM10 atleast helps download the phone book, dial and answer calls easilly.
Old 8th August 2012, 14:37   #10583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
I did the kies update during the 4.0.3 and now its the latest version.

I don't really know how the pcodin method works...plz help
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Yes, it was the 4.0.4 update. There were two parts for it. First it downloaded a 75MB update and afterwards a 28MB one.
Finally updated to 4.0.4 using Kies. Just took 10 min for the installation. Some icons are much better looking now, keyboard has got a spacing between the characters and the best part is that the phone is much faster. This is just 10min after the upgrade. Will update if I find more.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-export_03.png  

Old 8th August 2012, 14:51   #10584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I got my Note upgraded to 4.0.4 through Kies (that was my last try). This time I used the data cable provided with the Note. Battery was fully charged. The whole process took around 1 hr. I didn't touch my phone a single time during the update process.
Quote:
Finally updated to 4.0.4 using Kies. Just took 10 min for the installation..
So much difference in timings.. Is it something to do with the bandwidth?
Old 8th August 2012, 14:56   #10585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Yes, am in office now. Some advantages of being in an IT firm, finally . The entire process took hardly 15min.
Old 8th August 2012, 15:00   #10586
BHPian

Finally made the switch to android from blackberry. Bought the Htc one x. Really happy with the phone as of now. Recommend some good apps
Old 8th August 2012, 15:07   #10587
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, am in office now. Some advantages of being in an IT firm, finally . The entire process took hardly 15min.
I did try from office yesterday evening ( and yes I'm in IT too , worse an internet concern). I got a 4 Mbps line at home.. it was even slower at home. going to try the pcodin option.
Old 8th August 2012, 15:29   #10588
BHPian

Hi All!

I am a little confused. My BB is about to die on me any day and i was also thinking of switching over to Samsung S3, but my only concern is how will i access my emails on the S3 as currently i am on the BB unlimited plan. Can the BB services be used on S3 ??

Request you to please advise in a simple layman's language.

Cheers...
Old 8th August 2012, 16:10   #10589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
Hi All!

I am a little confused. My BB is about to die on me any day and i was also thinking of switching over to Samsung S3, but my only concern is how will i access my emails on the S3 as currently i am on the BB unlimited plan. Can the BB services be used on S3 ??

Request you to please advise in a simple layman's language.

Cheers...
No sir. You cannot use BB Services on S3 or matter of fact, any non BB. You will have to let go off your Unlimited BB Plan along with your BB. The only way to get going with it is to switch to another BB. You can access all your emails; exchange / pop etc on S3 via using EDGE / 3G service from your service provider like Airtel Office or Vodafone Mobile Connect.
Old 8th August 2012, 16:28   #10590
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I don't thinks it's bandwidth. I have 15mbps unlimited connection. May be the samsung servers were slow or my Kies had problems.

Regarding look and feel, I am not experiencing much difference between the UI. It feels very similar to Gingerbread, because of the touchwiz. I was expecting that UI will be more like ICS, but sadly not much changes. It's boring.

Any suggestions about the best 3rd party UI for Note which looks and feels close to stock ICS UI ?

Last edited by ottocycle : 8th August 2012 at 16:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks