Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Finally, CM9 stable build has been released:

CyanogenMod 9 – Stable | CyanogenMod
Old 10th August 2012, 09:48   #10637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
The build quality of HTC devices *externally* is generally better than the competition. But where they stumble is the internal components quality.

You could also look at the Sammies at equivalent price points IMO. While they may lack in quality feel (readlastics) they more than make up for that in other departments.
I hear you, sids911. In fact, that's what I felt from the number of reviews on the HTC India website.. Everyone's complaining of problems and niggling issues.

Yikes! I think I'll have to settle against my ethics with a Sammy now. Steered clear from them successfully since 1999. No more escape, I guess.

Thanks again.
Old 10th August 2012, 13:16   #10638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Guys,

Xperia Ion start rolling in India.

Sony Xperia ion - Check Price, Full Specifications Online in India | Snapdeal.com

Cheers!

Vinu
I was looking at the Xperia S. Would be Ion be worth the extra 7k???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
There shouldn't be any issue if you are buying a phone in India and using in UK, or vice versa - as long as the phone supports quad band (which is generally the case with most decent phones these days).

Since you are going to be in UK for the next 1 year, I would suggest that you compare (using internet) the Indian prices with UK prices (contract free) and then take a final call.

Like h@r$h@l suggested, I also feel that it makes more sense to buy from UK since you would be present there for 1 year and it would be easier to sort out warranty issues in case of any defects.

Metal body is a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer metal body since it gives an upmarket feel to the phone.

Rohan
Problem is - I got to know that the Sony phones are more expensive in UK when compared to India.

Can you explain a bit more about the free contract you are talking about in UK? I am unaware about that !
Old 10th August 2012, 15:49   #10639
Distinguished - BHPian

Was checking my Note to see what's new in 4.0.4. Here are few that I found.

1) Crayon Physics Updated.
2) Few buttons updated - restart, alarm clock.
3) Faster UI
4) Better battery life

Some nice features

1) Signature lock
2) Pop up play

Some screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120810154104.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120810154147.png  

Old 10th August 2012, 16:22   #10640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, I am looking to buy a new phone. I am currently using the Sony Ericsson X10.

My prioritities for my new phone are -
* Android OS
* Good procession speed (no lags)
* Good looks
* Good camera
* Front facing camera

My budget is around 25k to 30k. Any suggestions?
If you are ok with no warranty, just head over to Alfa and buy the Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus for 23k. Its the best/most capable Android phone out there and you won't be bothering yourself with updates, as they will be delivered first-in-the-world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunkb View Post
Anybody here using a Galaxy Nexus? I have been reading about poor battery life and signal drop issues. Need first hand reviews of the phone. I am planning on getting one very soon.

I can get it at 22k from UAE. Is it worth the price? I am OK with the lack of warranty.
I got it for almost the same price, directly from Play Store and hence what you're getting is a great deal.

Regarding battery, yes it is on the lower side as of now. But then again, I have used the phone for less than half a day, so it's too early to comment. But there is no signal drop issue at all. AFAIK, that was relevant for Sprint devices only, not the unlocked GSM ones.

For that price considering the competition, its the best phone you can buy. Period.
Old 10th August 2012, 16:29   #10641
Senior - BHPian

Price of Samsung Galaxy S Advance has suddenly been slashed to 20k.

I like the specs, shape, size etc but some users have reported network problems in this model.

Anybody who has first hand experience with this model ?

Also, Ace 2 is taking forever to be launched in India. With the price of S Advance being slashed, I am doubtful whether Ace 2 would be launched in India. Any comments ?

I am looking for a sub 20k Android phone with dual core processor, decent display, decent memory, decent brand, expandable memory, front camera and removable battery. Samsung Galaxy S Advance seems to be the only option.

Quote:

Can you explain a bit more about the free contract you are talking about in UK? I am unaware about that !
Xperia Ion price has been announced today. I don't feel its worth the extra 7k as compared to Xperia S. (I was expecting it to be priced at par with Xperia S)

I mentioned "contract free" not "free contract".

In UK, you could either buy a contract free or SIM free phone, similar to how we buy phones in India. We buy the phone from a shop and then take a connection from a carrier/service provider who supplies the SIM. In this case, one has to buy the phone upfront and then start using it.

Alternately, if you buy a phone on a contract with a carrier in UK - you get a certain handset (along with a rate plan) and pay for it in installments along with the monthly bill. You don't have to pay the total cost of the handset upfront.

I casually compared UK phone prices online today and felt that prices are higher as compared to India. Better to buy in India.

Rohan
Old 10th August 2012, 17:34   #10642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

I got it for almost the same price, directly from Play Store and hence what you're getting is a great deal.

Regarding battery, yes it is on the lower side as of now. But then again, I have used the phone for less than half a day, so it's too early to comment. But there is no signal drop issue at all. AFAIK, that was relevant for Sprint devices only, not the unlocked GSM ones.

For that price considering the competition, its the best phone you can buy. Period.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My brother has received the phone and i am waiting for somebody to bring it over here.

Please share a small review about the phone after a few days of usage.

Last edited by mithunkb : 10th August 2012 at 17:38.
Old 10th August 2012, 18:18   #10643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Xperia Ion price has been announced today. I don't feel its worth the extra 7k as compared to Xperia S. (I was expecting it to be priced at par with Xperia S)
Even I was expecting a difference of max 2k between the two. The Ion looks super cool today.

Quote:
In UK, you could either buy a contract free or SIM free phone, similar to how we buy phones in India. We buy the phone from a shop and then take a connection from a carrier/service provider who supplies the SIM. In this case, one has to buy the phone upfront and then start using it.
Ohh, so basically it means you get the SIM free of cost. What about it's operating charges... depends on the plan right?

Quote:
Alternately, if you buy a phone on a contract with a carrier in UK - you get a certain handset (along with a rate plan) and pay for it in installments along with the monthly bill. You don't have to pay the total cost of the handset upfront.
I would not want that option. Somehow not comfortable with the idea of buying a phone on lease or paying in EMIs.

Quote:
I casually compared UK phone prices online today and felt that prices are higher as compared to India. Better to buy in India.
Yes, I too observed the same and hence was reluctant to buy one from there. The S costs 32-34k there and costs 28k here.

Another query - Xperia S needs a Micro SIM. Will I get that easily over here and in UK?
Old 10th August 2012, 18:52   #10644
BHPian

Quote:
Price of Samsung Galaxy S Advance has suddenly been slashed to 20k.

I like the specs, shape, size etc but some users have reported network problems in this model.

Anybody who has first hand experience with this model ?

Rohan
I had commented on this phone a few pages back.My dad uses this phone. Yes this phone has signal issues but its not a big problem.This phone usually shows a bar less compared to an old nokia e63 and the motorola defy!(used the same SIM) I guess if your in a place with good coverage you wont even notice this shortcoming but if the network coverage is so so then your gonna be . But for 20k its a good phone,4 inch AMOLED screen is the main selling point i guess(cheapest android phone with AMOLED screen!)
Only other shortcoming is the lack of zoom feature in the native camera app,but there are other apps(sleek camera) in the market that will make do.Also no planned update to ICS will put off people who will not want to Flash different ROMs

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 10th August 2012 at 18:55.
Old 10th August 2012, 19:11   #10645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
If camera is not very important than I'd suggest Defy Plus. You can find it online for around 13k (Motorola Defy Plus Price India|Motorola Defy Plus Price List|Motorola Defy Plus Rates), its a good performer and rugged too.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. I am also gunning for the defy+ with its 3.7" screen and 1ghz processor but I have one serious apprehension. Motorola's wafer thin service network. My elder brother has earlier suffered due to this. Even in the NCR region it is a big hassle if your Moto phone runs into some trouble. Also I have heard that Defy+ has some inherent problems after 3 to 4 months of ownership and then the service network is a real headache. Read some reviews on Flipkart also. That is one of the reasons why I am inclining towards Samsung Galaxy Ace. "Samsung is everywhere." Real bummer is that there is no device as defy+ in Samsung line up at that price point. The newly launched Samsung galaxy ace plus is still a bit overpriced too.

What say you ? Waiting for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Honest to god,

Aircel's iphone 3GS. 10k only man.

or the karbonn a18 or something. 12k doesn't get you a much better machine. plus the iphone will be upto date with the latest softwares so that's unlike any other 12k phone you will buy.

Think hard else in 12.7k, u will get the defy+ on the net.
Thanks for the reply. Checked with Aircel in my locality. Currently they don't have this offer. Also 3GS has a 3 megapixel camera which is average IMHO. No LED too.
Don't wanna go for Karbonn or these other brands.
Moto Defy+ seems to be a viable option but what is holding me back is the previous horrid experience of Motorola service in India and their non-existent service center network. As I say Samsung is everywhere. I know I can't have everything at my stipulated budget but still eager to hear from you.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th August 2012 at 07:53. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the EDIT / Multi-quote feature.
Old 10th August 2012, 21:56   #10646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the comparison between both. LTE, microSD, more HSDPA speed, bigger Battery are worth mentioning.

(Click on the image to enlarge)

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-xperia-ion-vs-s.png

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 10th August 2012, 22:02   #10647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Just tried out after seeing your post. I am on an Xperia -S , It went smooth and got over in less than a min.

Guess try re-installing when you are sure your wifi connection is up and running fine.
Thanks mate, it "magically" got installed just after I made that post. Forgot to edit
Old 10th August 2012, 23:33   #10648
BHPian

guys need your help . My Nokia E63 is getting old and age is showing(frequent hangs,wifi issues) I am planning to get an Android phone.My budget is max 25k.
There are 4 phones which i can consider, my views on the following are:

1. Moto razr- beautiful design,nice screen,almost vanilla ICS, splash resistant and slightly tougher(needed in India!) rare phone so stands out,first choice!!

2. Sony xperia s-lovely screen, great cam, dont like the design and a bit expensive,3k over my budget!But if unanimously recommended will surely convince my dad!

3.Htc sensation- lovely UI,good cam, has issues like death grip,frequent crashing and so so battery

4.Galaxy S2-great hardware and cam but just too common, boring design last choice(shocking right?)

I was going to go for the razr but if any razr owners can give their opinions i would be grateful. I know Motorolas service is bad but my sister has a defy and many of my buddies too have motorolas(defy/defy plus only) and have experienced the service center in Goa and rate it good.i am not a heavy gamer. Will use the phone for reading ebooks, PDFs,texting occasional movie and browsing. This phone will be with me for atleast min 3 to four years so i dont want to regret later

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 10th August 2012 at 23:35.
Old 11th August 2012, 00:05   #10649
BHPian

HTC one x 4.0.4 update available in Europe, anyone getting it on their Indian one x? Can't wait as it has sense 4.1 and lots of bug fixes, especially the 3 dot menu fix.
Old 11th August 2012, 08:21   #10650
BHPian

Hello all,
Sony has listed Xperia Tipo as launched last night, any idea when the shipment will beggin? And what could be the expected price?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks