Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 11:10   #10681
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but you compared the wrong model. Of course, Google Nexus One would feel outdated, simply because, it is a phone from 2010! But FYI, when it was launched, it was a segment leader.

I had mentioned Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus. That's the latest on the market. And like I said earlier, if you can have all (and some more) features vis-a-vis competition+the promise of getting the latest OS update first-in-the-world, it makes Nexus a VERY compelling and a no-brainer proposition!
Oh! No wonder I was wondering why was the Nexus One recommended!

Anyways, to be honest, this OS update race does not bother me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
Congratulations on your new buy. Is that the image of your own phone in your post? Why does it carry Sony Ericsson branding? I thought the new Xperias carried SONY branding?
Nope. That is a random image taken from the net. My phone has a 'SONY' branding, not 'Sony Ericsson'.

Here are some pics which I clicked with the phone (please note that I had to compress the pics to be able to upload it to the forum) -
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dsc_0021.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dsc_0024.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dsc_0016.jpg  

Old 13th August 2012, 11:19   #10682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^Or try the AOKP ROM and let us know how it fares?

The videos of AOKP on Youtube look really good - lot of customization options.

[ROMS ICS JB] AOSP Paradise - Get your JB AOKP&ICS Salad Bar delivered here - xda-developers

Look for AOKP - JB Alpha 12 Aug
When there is a fully functional CM9 and CM10, then why try any other ROM!

Unless AOKP is way better than CM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Oh! No wonder I was wondering why was the Nexus One recommended!

Anyways, to be honest, this OS update race does not bother me at all.
While the advertised USP of Nexus I9250 may be the first-in-OS update, I personally feel the value for money aspect is highest in this phone. Do check out the specs and compare to any phone in the same (or even higher) price range. You'll know what I mean.

And if you get a chance to see the phone in flesh, you'll forget the One X and S3 too. Trust me, I've used Nexus and it really kicks serious a**

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 13th August 2012 at 11:22.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:24   #10683
Senior - BHPian

I know many of you must be aware of this, but just wanted to state this over here -

For phones which need a MICRO SIM, atleast Vodafone users dont need to bother cutting them. Just head to the nearest Vodafone store and they will give you a Micro Sim totally free of cost. Yes, you will have to surrender your current SIM and it should not be damaged. If you current SIM is damaged, they will charge you Rs. 25/- for the new SIM.

I just got a free replacement since my old SIM which was cut, was acting weird. I was getting network issues. Since you are getting a new SIM for free (or for Rs. 25), it does not make sense to cut the present SIM.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:28   #10684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Nope. That is a random image taken from the net. My phone has a 'SONY' branding, not 'Sony Ericsson'.
Congratulations on the lovely phone. Lovely images too.

You should have posted an image of your own phone. You almost gave a heart attack to some of us, because of the SE branding visible in that image.

Rohan
Old 13th August 2012, 11:31   #10685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Final call - Samsung Galaxy S Advance OR HTC One V?
What is the best price of both phones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
S2 for 23799 today's deal at hs18.
I suppose Galaxy S Advance also retails at the same price, then why dont you try and get the S2?
Old 13th August 2012, 12:41   #10686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi nishant,

I used the CM9 16/7 built for a while but since the CM10 builts on xda were out been on that. I had posted some screen shots too a few pages ago. I just flashed the 10/8 CM10 nightly and can safely say its a "stable" rom with all necessary things functioning the way they should. The only thing that remains for me to test is the battery drain & i shall be able to confirm on that only after 1-2 battery recharge cycles.

If you are unsure about CM10 nightly you can safely go for CM9. Its been there for a while and a very stable rom.

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^Or try the AOKP ROM and let us know how it fares?

The videos of AOKP on Youtube look really good - lot of customization options.

[ROMS ICS JB] AOSP Paradise - Get your JB AOKP&ICS Salad Bar delivered here - xda-developers

Look for AOKP - JB Alpha 12 Aug
One question on rooting. Is it possible to unroot and flash stock GB on Defy+, in case one needs to take the phone for warranty claim/service?
Old 13th August 2012, 12:44   #10687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
One question on rooting. Is it possible to unroot and flash stock GB on Defy+, in case one needs to take the phone for warranty claim/service?
Yes. It is possible and infact a very easy process. You need the right sbf file and flash it on your phone using RSD lite. And in a matter of minutes your phone is back to stock condition. There is a thread on xda with a list of sbf's for defy+. Unfortunately i am unable to access xda site today so unable to post any links here.

Regards,
Old 13th August 2012, 14:40   #10688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I suppose Galaxy S Advance also retails at the same price, then why dont you try and get the S2?

Galaxy S Advance retails for Rs 19500/- in Navi Mumbai
Old 13th August 2012, 22:39   #10689
BHPian

Guys, need some suggestions.
I have been using HTC Explorer for quite some time now and it's about time to upgrade. I have set my eyes on Sony xperia U. At the price point of 15k it looks like great vfm. How good is this phone ? Do I need to consider any other droid?

I don't want to extend my budget because I already own a tablet which takes care of my browsing needs.

Last edited by karty_83 : 13th August 2012 at 22:42.
Old 14th August 2012, 00:25   #10690
BHPian

Motorola to lay off 20% of workforce globally, scale back its presence in India!!, which is nowhere actually
Motorola to lay off 20% of its workforce, focus on fewer devices - GSMArena.com news
Does this mean bad news for Indian customers?? What about service and support??Will they slowly Quit India??
Was planning on getting the Razr but after reading this news i am getting the jitters.
Old 14th August 2012, 06:52   #10691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
Let me know if there are more features.
Haven't really noticed this feature in 4.03 on the note. The 4.04 has this video playback in the background feature...something akin to the SIII.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120814_065226.png
Views: 454
Size:  109.7 KB

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 14th August 2012 at 07:10.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:01   #10692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Was planning on getting the Razr but after reading this news i am getting the jitters.
Moto isn't doing well in many countries and till Google restructures the company and streamlines ops they will continue to drift. They aren't doing well in India, or most places for that matter, and streamlining will impact jobs in Moto India. They have a dev centre in BLR and one in Pune too among other offices.

Not sure if India will be a focus market though it should be given that we have some of the highest mobility growth rates and market size in the world.
This much like the situation in Fiat India - great products, company in difficulty.

Frankly, If I were you I'd hold back on the purchase - with a wait and watch attitude. Let Moto make its plans for India public. Or go with some other make/brand.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:34   #10693
BHPian

How is the battery life on the Htc One X now after the latest 4.1 sense update? Is it equal to S3 which i have been hearing?
Old 14th August 2012, 10:39   #10694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Congratulations on the lovely phone. Lovely images too.
Sorry for the confusion bro.

The above pics were clicked on 9 MP and not 12 MP.

Anyways -

Review of Sony Xperia S with Ice Cream Sandwich -

I did the update over the air (through Wi-Fi). The whole download of 180 MB took about 10 minutes (maybe because of the slow internet connection). What I liked about it was, everything was clearly mentioned beforehand through instructions on how the phone will behave next... After downloading, the phone took about 5 minutes to shut down and restart with the new OS.

Okay, now coming to the main topic, the additional features which I got through the update can be viewed over here -

I will mention some things which are not mentioned in the video -

* The UI seems more responsive and fluid than Gingerbread.
* Gingerbread had a hint of lag (if you are very keen to notice) with multiple heavy apps open... the ICS eliminates that.
* The whole user interface has become much more user friendly with frequently used functions being much more easily accessible.
* The new music player is SUPERB, the best I have seen so far.
* The new gallery again is awesome.
* The new 'FILMS' app is of no use to me, as it needs a strong 3G or Wi-Fi connection always.
* No major difference was noticed in the video playback, atleast to me.
* Personalizing phone has become much more easier now.
* Notifications have also become easier to use and the slide option to remove them is a bonus.
* Battery life has improved a lot, as can be clearly noticed.

To be honest, I am not in a race of getting the first OS update. I have seen many people buying phones just because that particular company offers the first OS updates. No offence to anyone, but I feel that is more for some bragging rights - "LOOK, I HAVE ICS, YOU ARE STILL ON GINGERBREAD"!!! Big deal.

I am not a Sony fanboy but I have noticed that even though Sony takes their own sweet time to release updates, their updates are generally much better. I can say this confidently as I have recently compared the competitor's ICS with my phone's ICS. Of course, this is my personal opinion and no heated debates on this please!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th August 2012 at 10:43.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:47   #10695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Motorola to lay off 20% of workforce globally, scale back its presence in India!!, which is nowhere actually
Motorola to lay off 20% of its workforce, focus on fewer devices - GSMArena.com news
Does this mean bad news for Indian customers?? What about service and support??Will they slowly Quit India??
Relax, you are getting a phone not a car - it is NOT going away in the next 1-2 years.

The india presence that is being cut will be on the software side, not the marketing side.

They have been let down by bad pricing and zero visibility - BUT the products and the service is good enough.

*I* would buy another motorola phone again (if i get good prices ofc).

/gotten the defy smashed twice and repaired in <15 mins both times. Hassle-free pleasant service and all parts available with some body parts thrown in free as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks