Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:37   #10846
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
agreed. but i have the exact same opinion about all qwerty androids

Where can i find S2 for the cheapest price currently? The wife needs to buy a latest dual core device and I don't think buying her a phone without warranty (GNexus) is good for world peace.

Any other ideas for 25k budget?
Just got the Samsung S advance at 19.5k from FlipKart. recd it an hr ago. ordered on Monday evening and delivered in Ahmedabad on Wednesday noon. pretty neat. I just started the phone and set up all apps / games for wifey. The phone is pretty responsive and well laid to. We did check out Atrix 2, but she found it heavy & bulky compared to this one.

Local stores are still selling old stock priced at 22k for S Advance and hence i ordered it from FK.

Regards,
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:52   #10847
Team-BHP Support

Galaxy S (i9000) Owners:

Just dropping in a quick note to say:
  • I was running Cyanogenmod 7.1 earlier, and it was fast and awesome
  • Upgraded to CM 7.2, and it got awfully slow. Went back to 7.1
  • Recently upgraded to CM9 stable - and its AWESOME

I had doubts about if our good ol' phones would be able to handle this, and glad to say its not a problem at all.
Ice Cream Sandwich makes me feel like i've got a new phone with the updated UI and little feature add-ons.

6 cool things to check out in ICS + CM9:
1) Long press the menu key brings up the much cooler ICS app switcher. Swipe an app sideways to clear from memory/list
2) Browser > Settings > Labs > Checkmark all boxes. This enables quick controls: slide your finger onto the screen from the bezel on the sides - it will bring up the navigation menu. AWESOME feature on tablets, as you dont have to let go of holding the tablet to navigate. Nice on phones as it maximises screen real estate.
3) Google voice typing - awesomely accurate and cool! A quick net connection helps.
4) Ascending ringtone option
5) Adaptive brightness controls that are somewhat similar to lux, but not as easy to set up. Also allows you to go lower than the normal default brightness. Am still playing with it / testing. (Make sure auto brightness is checked for it to start working)
6) Owner info on lockscreen (super useful if you use a password lock and you're an optimist). Suggest you add an alternate phone # here.

Lastly, i hope you are using SWYPE. (Get the swype beta from their site. You'll need to sign up). It has dragon dictation built in too - works well, but might not be as truly "smart" or "current" as google, especially when it comes to search queries.

Battery life is very good too.

Download: CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Ice Cream Sandwich
Instructions: Samsung Galaxy S: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2012 at 13:56.
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:05   #10848
Senior - BHPian

I wanna go in for a custom ROM on my G Note running 4.04. Can somebody help me out with the best (Stable as well) ROM available in the market. Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:09   #10849
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,
Got a query for ye folks - this is pertaining to the feedback on Micromax (android) phones.

I'm looking to buy an android phone with a budget of 10k, the Micromax A100 seems to be a perfect fit - what really works for me is the 5 inch screen. Read up a few online reviews, this review gives a decent idea about the phone. As for processor speed and additional features, I'm fine with most of the phones that are available in the 8-10k range, however most of them are around 3 inch screens.

However my query is on the reliability of Micromax phones, and more important, if the phone has any issues/problems, how good is the customer care service. Going by the general feedback on the net, the CC service pretty much sucks. Can you give any feedback on MM android phones - are they worth taking the jump?

I have already been an owner of a MM phone (the basic, cheapest keypad model) two years back. That phone was bad, however for the price it did the job. Apart from that, I have also bought a Funbook for my mother a few months back. Thankfully it is working perfectly well, without any issues (touchwood).

Would love to get some feedback/inputs from you guys.
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:34   #10850
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Any update on when the Galaxy S2 is getting the official 4.0.4 update? The Galaxy note got the update on 18th July, while the S2 has still not received it. The 4.0.4 update solves many of the issues with 4.0.3, like low battery life and the Wifi access and restarting issues.
Any news?

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:19   #10851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
How is the Karbon Smart Tab? It is priced at 6990 @ Ezone, Chennai. Any pointers on screen resolution etc - I'm looking at using it for Emails and Excel sheets apart from some movies on the move!
Bump - Nobody heard of it yet
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:24   #10852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Bump - Nobody heard of it yet
I saw it once. Was not impressed by it. I was just going through some user reviews on flipkart and thought they might be of help to you.

Karbonn Smart Tab 1 | Tablet | Flipkart.com

Regards,
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:23   #10853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Am using Sygic from the old Symbian days. Its indeed a great app and works great in India. I am from kerala and I don't find any difficulty in finding any places (other than spelling mistakes in town names). POI feature is indeed a boon and since they work offline, much faster than G Maps.
Thanks for the inputs. But the paid version seems to be prohibitively expensive. I assume people here are using... ahem... a non-paid version? Any pointers?
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:38   #10854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thanks for the inputs. But the paid version seems to be prohibitively expensive.
That used to be the case, now Sygic + MMI maps costs around 2k.
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:42   #10855
Senior - BHPian

^^^No way I'm spending that much right now. Not when G maps can take care of most of my needs. But the problem with the Ray is that the compass does not work with G maps... so I really need another solution.
Old 22nd August 2012, 18:17   #10856
Senior - BHPian

Google Maps requires access to EDGE/ 3G for navigation. It now allows to save a large part of maps data for offline usage, but connection is still required for routing.

If all your usage is within the state then it would not be an issue. If on roaming, this cost can add up.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:29   #10857
Senior - BHPian

^^^Didn't know a connx would be required for routing. But its ok for now at least, as I doubt I'm going outta the circle in the immediate future. If I do, I'd of course have to find a solution before leaving.
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:11   #10858
Senior - BHPian

Just for today, Brand New Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue/White) is available for $499.

For users who have friends or family visiting USA, this is a must buy. Its unlocked and ready to be used anywhere in the world. This is USA version so it will have 1.5 Dual Core S4 processor instead of the Exynos 4. This also has 2GB of RAM instead of 1GB on international version. The benchmarks are more or less similar to international version and in real life it is just as fast.

Wireless Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day

Last edited by chevelle : 22nd August 2012 at 21:12.
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:13   #10859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
^^^Didn't know a connx would be required for routing. But its ok for now at least, as I doubt I'm going outta the circle in the immediate future. If I do, I'd of course have to find a solution before leaving.
Connection is required for routing even if you have the map data stored on phone. Anyway, it can only store a small amount of data at a time. And GMaps does not have turn by turn navigation, lane guidance, live traffic updates, POI, route recording, speed camera warnings....the list is endless. There is simply no comparison with Sygic. Totally worth it IMO. Comes with free app and map updates for life.
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:33   #10860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
Get a nokia phone for all your map needs. Its the best and works even without connection. Atleast my N8 does even in desolate places without any wireless tower nearby. Just download the latest maps so as not to get lost

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks