Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 15:44   #10951
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

Guys - Anyone using Xolo 900? Specs look damn good and so does the price.
I think we posted at around the same time. See my post above yours for some feedback on the XOLO. I finally shortlisted XOLO and the Sola and finally went with the Sola.
Old 27th August 2012, 15:56   #10952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
2-3 of my colleagues use XOLO. General feedback is that performance is 'great' and in all other aspects it is a 'good' phone. No major issues reported. Lava is just responsible for the marketing, they have nothing to do with the design or manufacturing as far as I know. But I believe there is some additional work on the andriod it runs to ensure that it works on the Intel Architecture. So not sure if rooting and installing a custom ROM would work.
Thanks Rajeev. I was looking at the Performance benchmarks on the Anandtech reviews, and got impressed, vis-a-vis the device price.
I'm also a bit sceptical about the rooting and custom roms aspect, which is the problem I have with Atrix 2, but might just overlook this with Xolo, given that it is a new platform altogether.

The other option looming up is to be a bit patient about this whole thing, and getting someone flying in from US to get me the new Nexus. Now, how would that stack up, except for the lack of removable memory?
Old 27th August 2012, 16:21   #10953
Senior - BHPian

Roy,

Here are some thoughts (sorry no suggestions here!):
a. You should seriously consider the S2 at 25k on tradus though it busts your budget.
b. 20k is well over Defy territory. Damn am i stereotyped!! Ask nishant how i relentlessly pushed him for Xperia U. Or maybe I was applying reverse psychology on him
c. NO - not the GNexus. You will use the phone in all sorts of situations. No official sale means forget warranty, you won't even get spares (like someone posted). Why?
d. Developer support is often overrated and its a chorus by us S2 / Defy and suchlike fanboys. Peer beyond that at phones like the Chacha (my grossest mistake in mobile phones ever), the ROMs are pathetic and have serious usability issues. It is not bad to buy a phone that has ICS out of the box and keep it stock.
e. Jelly Bean is brilliant only in removing lag. So on defy JB vs ICS - JB is awesomely ahead. But if you already buy a pocket rocket, then JB should not be so much of a must-have thing, really. I mean, honestly, the latest ROM biz is overrated. All we want is a stable device with zero lag and a battery that lasts well over 24 hours. Yes you can make your billi / haj / 900 chuhe jokes now!

lastly, I have the keeda, so I must suggest something - Xperia S was at 26.4k on sulekha. I came within a whisker of buying that for the missus.
Old 27th August 2012, 16:57   #10954
Senior - BHPian

so what is the Junta take on Apple vs Samsung case. What do you think as an impact on Samsung and Android?

Personally i feel the case revolves around apple's new release and more muscle power in the name of Jury based judgement.

Can samsung come out of this unscathed?
Old 27th August 2012, 17:20   #10955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
so what is the Junta take on Apple vs Samsung case. What do you think as an impact on Samsung and Android?

Personally i feel the case revolves around apple's new release and more muscle power in the name of Jury based judgement.

It won't affect much in India. Samsung my physically tweak future models to get less rounded corners, or make circular or triangular phones.
Or this judgement may get overturned on appeal. There are lot of things like conflict of interest floating around.
The jury foreman got a patent on a TiVo like technology 3 years after tiVo was launched, so it can be argued, that he has self interest in ignoring prior art(Samsung F700)
Old 27th August 2012, 17:26   #10956
Senior - BHPian

I hope Samsung will now really put some effort to 'design' their phones and invest some money on it. SE, HTC etc have phones that are unique and these guys aped too much of Apple. F700 story was made up I guess.

I dont support the silly patents being granted to Apple either. But then the other guys have followed Apple in touch screen smart phones and even after hearing for months (or year) that Apple is going to launch a bigger one (iPAD) waited to see how Apple would do it so that they can do the same.

We are going to get something really different in user experience or Windows phone might have some advantages.

Next March US patent laws are changing and getting simpler(!). One who files first is what matters.

Last edited by srishiva : 27th August 2012 at 17:29.
Old 27th August 2012, 17:58   #10957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I hope Samsung will now really put some effort to 'design' their phones and invest some money on it. SE, HTC etc have phones that are unique and these guys aped too much of Apple. F700 story was made up I guess..
Made up story? There exists such a phone, and it was reviewed also by many sites. Due to a technicality(date of filing etc.,) they were not allowed to present that as evidence.
As for HTC etc., samsung was the biggest competitor, so Apple went after that. Using this judgement, they will go after others.
I suggest you look at the actual design patent
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/ga.../889patent.pdf

And then see how many smartphones infringe. Samsung is not the only one, they are just the ones with deepest pockets
Old 27th August 2012, 18:01   #10958
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Now that samsung has got good share of the market, more innovations have definitely come from the side. Take Galaxy Note and Galaxy SIII as example. I wish them best of luck.
Android is a great OS. I will be happy seeing it flourishing than over price over hyped iOS. Also, at the same time, I don't understand how can the features like pinch n zoom can be patented.
As far as the US court ruling, this was very much expected. Defeating a US company in US court: next to impossible. Samsung has won the similar apple lawsuit in 4 countries.
Old 27th August 2012, 19:13   #10959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Advice needed:

Yesterday, in the NIOC Monsoon Challenge event, I was track marshaling for point 10. However, around mid-day we were hit with Torrential rainfall there, and being in a narrow gorge, we were soon flooded, and the spot became a massive rescue zone, with a significant vehicle pile up and two tractors at work.
Anyways, to cut to the chase, I probably dropped my Samsung Galaxy Ace, while rescuing the vehicles / shoveling / wading in the mud (I don't really know which or when), and now need a new phone!

My key requirements:
  • Android (huh!)
  • Less than 20K INR
  • At least a Dual Core processor
  • Great Screen
  • Eminently Rootable and customizable (intend to root on Day 1)
  • 1GB Ram
  • In built memory is not a Must, External memory is a Must
  • Strong build quality. I intend to be in the muck in 15-20 days time again
  • High resolution screen (not HD)
  • 5 MP Camera of good quality at least, with LED Flash
  • Manufacturer Warranty not required
  • Shouldn't look like holding a Notebook to my head!

P.S. I can go to Naaptol or other similar websites, feed in my requirements, get a phone list and make my choice. So, that IS NOT what I am looking for here, guys. I am looking for some user feedback driven advice, which I cannot get anywhere else. Thanks.
The galaxy s advance is a good phone, has the specks and features to satisfy you but dont know about the toughness and ROM support... Someone else suggested you to try out the Motorola atrix,since the atrix 2 has a locked bootloader and has very few ROMs available i suggest the Motorola photon 4g(US gsm version), same specks as the atrix 2 but with a official unlocked bootloader and good support on xda developers(please confirm). Available for 17.5k on ebay. Motorolas are known for their tough build so if your open to the idea then have a look, ticks all the above options you mentioned

Hapy to help!
Old 27th August 2012, 22:55   #10960
Senior - BHPian

Guys, How about Micromax A90 ?

I am planning to buy one, The list of features at this price point is too tempting.

Anyone here got a chance to lay their hands on one ?

Please help

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 27th August 2012, 23:56   #10961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Guys, How about Micromax A90 ?

I am planning to buy one, The list of features at this price point is too tempting.

Anyone here got a chance to lay their hands on one ?

Please help

Cheers,
Sameer
Its a single core (most likely the el cheapo mSM 7227 turbo or the equivalent mediatek cores). I wouldn't recommend it for someone unless they really need dual core and nice screen. the quadrant scores came up average (1500 for this, 2000 for the A100 IIRC). Tried it in person? I plan to see this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It won't affect much in India. Samsung my physically tweak future models to get less rounded corners, or make circular or triangular phones.
Disagree. Samsung has gotten the Ace's design to look very close to the iPhone (as one instance). I know multiple friends who have pointed out the resemblance including non-geeks. They will need to change but yes, top end hardware + marketing hype will keep them going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

A lot IMO. Here is what a friend exchanged over email:

> Google on Apple v. Samsung: most infringed patents 'don't relate to the core Android operating system' -- Engadget
>

thats interesting, if it actually is true. but i dont belive that.

i looked up Gestures | Android Developers and clearly pinch to zoom and double tap to autozoom are documented as core gestures in the platform. both these were patents samsung infrindged upon.
its actually very interesting after i saw some more detailed API specifications for andorid, Eg OverScroller | Android Developers presents the API that can be easily used to develop the bounce back apple feature. so it is indeed inbuilt into the google core features.

hmm..

i can not say for sure, but such misleading statemts could be an attempt not to spread panic across android device manufacturers.
Old 28th August 2012, 00:02   #10962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its a single core (most likely the el cheapo mSM 7227 turbo or the equivalent mediatek cores). I wouldn't recommend it for someone unless they really need dual core and nice screen. the quadrant scores came up average (1500 for this, 2000 for the A100 IIRC). Tried it in person? I plan to see this week.
I plan to see one tomorrow, Saw the review on igyaan and was pretty impressed with it. My use is, Just some basic games and some time pass apps, With some photography, that's it.

If A90 didn't came up very well, I will go ahead with Xperia Neo L or One V

Let's see.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 28th August 2012, 00:09   #10963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran
^^^ Thanks Headers. Hitanshu was the first person who came to my mind, when looking for Android advice. However, I also know that he would probably only suggest Defy or some subsequent iteration.
I am not averse to Defy* at all, but want to know what the other options are. Plus, in this day, I'd love a Dual core if not a Quad.
As I said earlier, I don't need warranty and warranty-less prices are way lesser than those with manufacturer warranty.
How about Sony Experia GO then?
I think apart from yhe big/ high res screen its kind of rough n tough droid ready for some abuse. Acro S is better but yet to be launched & will be costly
Old 28th August 2012, 00:11   #10964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
I plan to see one tomorrow, Saw the review on igyaan and was pretty impressed with it. My use is, Just some basic games and some time pass apps, With some photography, that's it.

If A90 didn't came up very well, I will go ahead with Xperia Neo L or One V

Let's see.

Cheers,
Sameer
Here are some thoughts:
a. Photography is massively dependent on camera app, not just hardware. My chacha took terrible pics with custom ROMs. OEM camera sw results is miles ahead.
b. Use templerun as games benchmark - that is a good game to use as benchmark. that said, someone did mention that the A90 is a well sorted out device that runs well. very close looking to the S2, no?
c. In that budget you get the xPeria U, no? but one V = two A90s, na?

igyaan has done a LOVELY job on the review man.
Old 28th August 2012, 00:33   #10965
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
presents the API that can be easily used to develop the bounce back apple feature. so it is indeed inbuilt into the google core features.

hmm..

i can not say for sure, but such misleading statemts could be an attempt not to spread panic across android device manufacturers.
Actually. in any touchscreen OS, the UI APIs allow me to delegate gestures etc., For example, in some android browsers, I can even define my personal gestures. Like swiping a 't' to open team-bhp.

So, pinch to zoom, or double tap to zoom in can be implemented application specific too, as well as other gestures.

That said, all I see from the case is that the patent system in US is hopelessly broken.

I mean, allowing patent of "pinch to zoom", is like allowing a car company to use a round mechanism to be held by user to turn the the direction of the automobile.

Software patents have to go away. Luckily EU has not bought into this silliness

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks