Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 12:53   #11101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N
@headers: It would be nice if you can post a review with some photos as well.

Do you get the keyboard popped up when the PIN screen is active?
Try changing the keyboard app and see.
Else this should be a bug.
Thank you.. it was indeed the keyboard settings..

It was voice activated by default..
Thanks again
Old 31st August 2012, 13:34   #11102
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

phamilyman: Is Jellybean recommended for a single core, 512 MB phone like the Defy from a usability perspective? I read about hardware acceleration on Jellybean having a memory overhead. Won't this impact the number of apps that can be loaded and responsiveness while switching between apps? Also, there have been subsequent releases after the 10 Aug release and Quarx still has some stuff to fix in his to-do list.

I will be unboxing my Defy Plus tonight and have been trying to understand all the custom ROM stuff before I jump onto the bandwagon.
Old 31st August 2012, 22:41   #11103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
phamilyman: Is Jellybean recommended for a single core, 512 MB phone like the Defy from a usability perspective? I read about hardware acceleration on Jellybean having a memory overhead. Won't this impact the number of apps that can be loaded and responsiveness while switching between apps? Also, there have been subsequent releases after the 10 Aug release and Quarx still has some stuff to fix in his to-do list.

I will be unboxing my Defy Plus tonight and have been trying to understand all the custom ROM stuff before I jump onto the bandwagon.
Like I said, the defy (now with the wife) runs the 10 Aug one (though occasionally the launcher slows down ONCe in a while). Quarx will never finish his list - its already usable. Like I said, this post is not coming to you from the balcony, and I am still getting food in the house.

The phone has never had over 120 odd apps and its been okay (initial ICS pre-HWA was laggy). Of course, if you want blazing responsiveness (sans eye candy) get a CM7 based ROM (or debloat the OEM if possible). My experience with CM7 stock or White rabbit was exceedingly positive, if not boring
Old 31st August 2012, 23:40   #11104
Distinguished - BHPian

Fed up with Google Maps/Navigation (Defy+). It is unreliable and unstable. Today, I was using the navigation and it crashed exactly at the point where I was about to leave the well-known part of my route. Bought Sygic this evening, just with India maps for now, and just downloaded the Southern states only for now.

Which reminds me, got an e-mail from Google about confirming my country of residence so I can enjoy all their services. I suspect what it really means is so that I can't enjoy the services they don't want me to enjoy.
Old 31st August 2012, 23:45   #11105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post

I feel phamilyman would say the same (as he has already said few posts back too!). Do go for it! He persuaded me and I went for it finally today, almost a month after I bought the Defy Plus. The only regret is - I should have done this earlier.

The thing is, stock GB is slow and lags, taking it's own sweet time to execute your order every once a while. And this was even before I had installed any/few apps. After many apps, I could feel the stutter in Temple Run (while other apps were 'running' in the background), or delay in switching between dialer and text messaging, or a simple command like contact search. So I had made up my mind to shift to ICS ASAP (actually, I had initially thought of that even before buying the phone). Then I started discussing with Hitanshu and he told me about the nearly fully functional and stable CM10/JB build for Defy.

Coincidentally, I got a Galaxy Nexus at the same time I got the Defy+ and I could instantly see why people rave about JB. It IS butter smooth. As it is, Android was super intuitive. Now with JB, they have taken things to a higher notch.

Hence I decided to skip ICS and flash JB. The only delay was caused by the rooting procedure for Defy Plus with 2.3.6/DFP 231/BL7. It took me some time to muster courage for a complete wipe and flashing a fixed SBF. I sulked for a few days & searched in vain for Super One Click (or similar) kind of solutions to work but none was in the offing.

So finally today I rooted this way (the ONLY working solution for the above mentioned firmware) and thankfully, it went off smoothly.

Currently running CM10 and it is great! Much smoother than stock GB and visually better too. It doesnt feel this is a single core/512 MB RAM phone. A layman can't tell the difference I think. Im just waiting for the wifi tethering option to work so that I can pair my BB Playbook. Here are some screenshots:
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120831161258.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120831161317.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120831161328.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120831161340.png  

Old 31st August 2012, 23:50   #11106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I feel phamilyman would say the same (as he has already said few posts back too!). Do go for it! He persuaded me and I went for it finally today, almost a month after I bought the Defy Plus. The only regret is - I should have done this earlier.

The thing is, stock GB is slow and lags, taking it's own sweet time to execute your order every once a while. And this was even before I had installed any/few apps. After many apps, I could feel the stutter in Temple Run (while other apps were 'running' in the background), or delay in switching between dialer and text messaging, or a simple command like contact search. So I had made up my mind to shift to ICS ASAP (actually, I had initially thought of that even before buying the phone). Then I started discussing with Hitanshu and he told me about the nearly fully functional and stable CM10/JB build for Defy.

Coincidentally, I got a Galaxy Nexus at the same time I got the Defy+ and I could instantly see why people rave about JB. It IS butter smooth. As it is, Android was super intuitive. Now with JB, they have taken things to a higher notch.

Hence I decided to skip ICS and flash JB. The only delay was caused by the rooting procedure for Defy Plus with 2.3.6/DFP 231/BL7. It took me some time to muster courage for a complete wipe and flashing a fixed SBF. I sulked for a few days & searched in vain for Super One Click (or similar) kind of solutions to work but none was in the offing.

So finally today I rooted this way (the ONLY working solution for the above mentioned firmware) and thankfully, it went off smoothly.

Currently running CM10 and it is great! Much smoother than stock GB and visually better too. It doesnt feel this is a single core/512 MB RAM phone. A layman can't tell the difference I think. Im just waiting for the wifi tethering option to work so that I can pair my BB Playbook. Here are some screenshots:
That's great. Enjoy!

I wish CM10 was available for my phone too - Artix 2.
Old 1st September 2012, 02:52   #11107
Senior - BHPian

Installed Sony's latest update for Xperia Ray. Updated OTA. Compass now seems to be working with Gmaps... but not really tested it properly yet. Dialler now seems much faster, but still not as fast as I'd like it to be. Not tested for SMS yet, but frequency of LED blinking for missed calls seems to have been increased. Dunno whats the matter with Sony... this would mean increase in power consumption! Will get to know what else has been fixed soon... and what new bugs they have gifted us.

WiFi not sleeping issue does not seem to have been resolved. Nor is the issue about Picasa sharing not working. But the Picasa issue does not seem to be exclusive to Sony.

Any other 2011 Xperia users who have tried the new update?
Old 1st September 2012, 03:41   #11108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Here are some screenshots:
BUT - screen shots don't capture the "butter smooth" transitions. by the way, use exdialer. OEM contacts is simply crappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fed up with Google Maps/Navigation (Defy+). It is unreliable and unstable.

I suspect what it really means is so that I can't enjoy the services they don't want me to enjoy.
LOL sirjee ... you have a PM
Old 1st September 2012, 06:51   #11109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Both the razr and razr maxx are running ICS 4.04! I have heard that ICS is great on the razr/maxx, its now almost vanilla, no Motoblur stuff, so who said its a failure??
The Lg optimus 4X too is a worthy phone, if u have no grudge against the brand!
Here's a link describing the issues after the ICS upgrade.

Eagerly waiting for Sept 5 and should be able to make up my mind. Thanks.
Old 1st September 2012, 09:15   #11110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fed up with Google Maps/Navigation (Defy+). It is unreliable and unstable. Today, I was using the navigation and it crashed exactly at the point where I was about to leave the well-known part of my route.
So. Navigation works for you? According to this page http://support.google.com/gmm/bin/an...&answer=172221 navigation is not supported in India. Probably that was the reason it crashed. Looks like google was confused by your country location and that pm was to confirm.
Old 1st September 2012, 09:38   #11111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle

So. Navigation works for you? According to this page http://support.google.com/gmm/bin/an...&answer=172221 navigation is not supported in India. Probably that was the reason it crashed. Looks like google was confused by your country location and that pm was to confirm.
Hi ottocycle I'd replied to your similar query earlier in this thread about the nav. I had posted a few screenshots confirming the same. Please check my earlier posts.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120901_093758.png
Views: 432
Size:  114.9 KB

Regards.
Old 1st September 2012, 09:40   #11112
Senior - BHPian

Flashed my phone Dell XCD35 to ICS and I am loving it every bit. Hope I can shift to JB, depending on the developer community on Modaco: )
Old 1st September 2012, 10:30   #11113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Here's a link describing the issues after the ICS upgrade.

Eagerly waiting for Sept 5 and should be able to make up my mind. Thanks.
The droid razr/MAXX(CDMA) is different from the international razr/maxx(GSM),which we get.These phones are are sold only by the carrier Verizon!They have slightly different software compared to the international version so they get different updates compared to other international users.So the problems are unique to those phones only
The Indian updates are very stable so dont worry.

Happy shopping!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 1st September 2012 at 10:31.
Old 1st September 2012, 11:53   #11114
BHPian

http://www.redmondpie.com/enable-goo...th-ownhere-mod

This is for those with rooted phones for Google maps navigation to work. I've not tried it myself as I'm not rooted.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:41   #11115
BHPian

The End of moto in india!
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/motorola-...286585-11.html
http://www.themobileindian.com/news/...ill-stock-last

This is depressing but expected news for future moto owners! Motorola will shut is Indian operations.According to this and many articles Moto will sell phones till stock last and keep their third party service centers open for existing users!! so this means no more new launches from Motorola??
an extract from the news article

Quote:
The report by BGR.in went on to mention that the brand would continue to sell its products in India till stocks dried up and that their service centres would be operational. They also stated that independent real estate companies had informed them that the property of the brand’s R&D facility in Hyderabad had been put up for sale.
I thought Motorola will only cut its R&D workforce but sales too!!
I hope there will be some good offers on existing stock!!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 1st September 2012 at 12:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks