Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2012, 18:30   #11851
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
A set of replacement tips usually cost as much as a new set of earbuds. Try the Soundmagic ES18 @ Homeshop 18. (Flipkart is just lying when they say they have them in stock). 600 bucks and sound great!
Err - I did mention I was looking for a work-around for the headset (with mic setup). Already have a noise canceling Bose head phones, and a decently good panasonic in-ear phones; I don't think I'll go for another ear-phones Unfortunately both the original phone head-sets I have are the normal ones.

Anyway, it was a long shot expecting a quick-fix solution - will be managing with the ones I have.
Old 11th October 2012, 18:33   #11852
Senior - BHPian

one last shot. If your phone has a 3.5mm jack, you do get IEM's with mic
Old 11th October 2012, 19:35   #11853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom
Hi Guys,
I am confused between the Galaxy S3 and Note 2.Its my first change from my iPhone 3GS (Using i-OS since 4.5 years).
Please advise me which one i should go for and which of the above phones is better on the following parameters
1. Screen Quality
2. Performance
Screen quality will be better in Note 2 which got an awesome non-pentile AMOLED. Regarding performance it gets 2GB of RAM which is double when compared to S3. Also 4G LTE is good for future proofing. If you're comfortable with the screen size, Note 2 is the way to go.
Old 11th October 2012, 20:17   #11854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think you got the wrong impressions from this article then. Its most likely their development teams here. I dont think they are talking about stopping selling their phones entirely. That would be plain stupid. As I said earlier, most likely Motorola is moving out of feature phones into smartphones only! Sony has also done the same thing.

see this extract from the same article:
Quote:
Moss said the company would now focus on fewer phones and simplify its business. "We will simplify our mobile product portfolio -- shifting the emphasis from feature phones to more innovative and profitable devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Screen quality will be better in Note 2 which got an awesome non-pentile AMOLED. Regarding performance it gets 2GB of RAM which is double when compared to S3. Also 4G LTE is good for future proofing. If you're comfortable with the screen size, Note 2 is the way to go.
Actually SG3 still will have better screen as DPI on the Note 2 is much lower (SG3 is 300+ while Note2 is about 250 I think). Still both are awesome screens.

But I agree Note2 is the better phone. I'd say its the best smartphone on earth right now hands down.

Last edited by joslicx : 11th October 2012 at 20:21.
Old 11th October 2012, 21:08   #11855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I think you got the wrong impressions from this article then. Its most likely their development teams here. I dont think they are talking about stopping selling their phones entirely. That would be plain stupid. As I said earlier, most likely Motorola is moving out of feature phones into smartphones only! Sony has also done the same thing.
Motorola is shutting down sales gradually. More specific news :

Quote:
The company would continue to sell its phones until stocks are exhausted while service centers would continue to function.

Motorola Mobility's director for communications in Asia Pacific William Moss did not give specifics or details on the move except in saying that the firm's global restructuring will affect India and its workforce who will be given other employment opportunities apart from compensation.

"India is affected by this global restructuring, but we will continue some of our operations here and we will provide support for our devices sold in the market," Moss said.
Source : http://www.equities.com/news/headlin...34270&cat=tech
Old 12th October 2012, 00:00   #11856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
Err - I did mention I was looking for a work-around for the headset (with mic setup). Already have a noise canceling Bose head phones, and a decently good panasonic in-ear phones; I don't think I'll go for another ear-phones Unfortunately both the original phone head-sets I have are the normal ones.

Anyway, it was a long shot expecting a quick-fix solution - will be managing with the ones I have.
Try buying from ebay.com. Not ebay.in but ebay.com. Such items will not have issues with customs.
Old 12th October 2012, 01:54   #11857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs
Hi Friends

Can anyone help me with my samsung Galaxy S3 phone.

I need to increase the length of the ringtone before it goes into voicemail. As of now, I think its set at 10 - 15 seconds, which is very very low. Can I increase this this to 30 seconds?

Cheers
Subs
The call time has nothing to do with the length of the ringtone AFAIK. It depends on your mobile service. I have airtel connection and my friends say that the ringing time before one gets the voicemail or the "the number you have dialled is not answering" type message is shorter compared to say the same with vodafone
Old 12th October 2012, 14:25   #11858
BHPian

Hi guys I need your help :

Im planning to buy a new Android phone very soon. Budget is about 12k. I use a BB Curve 8520 right now.

These are my requirements:
1) Games like angry birds, temple run etc should work properly.
2) I text a lot on whatsapp. So the keyboard should be decent enough in landscape mode.
3) Google maps and nav should work without much lag.
4) Touch response should be good.
5) Camera is not much of a priority.
6) Atleast 3.5 inch screen.
I bought a Galaxy Pop few months back but now my mom uses it. I find that phone's performance pretty decent.

The phones which I have considered are :

1) HTC Desire C - Good phone for the price. I liked the responsiveness of the screen when browsing though the menu etc. It takes some time to load some apps because of its 600mhz processor. I played temple run but the touch response sucked for that game.

2) Xperia Tipo - Screen size is very small. The touch response was really sensitive. Even while browsing through the menu, a couple of apps opened up accidently.

3) I saw some Micromax phones too. Forgot the model nos. The specs looked good enough for the price. One of them was about 6k and the other was 9k. Are these phones worth buying? They even had a big almost 4 inch screen.
Any reviews here?

Even the iball phones looked good for the price but couldn't get a chance to use it properly.

Thanks.
Old 12th October 2012, 15:09   #11859
Senior - BHPian

Strange Issue with the Gnex.

While being on call, i sometimes talk using the wired handsfree and also used to surf the internet on my earlier Nokia however the same cannot be done in the Gnex. It say no internet connection when i try to surf while being on a call. Moment the call ends the internet connection is alive again.

Gurus, any specific setting that needs to be enabled???
Old 12th October 2012, 15:24   #11860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Strange Issue with the Gnex.

While being on call, i sometimes talk using the wired handsfree and also used to surf the internet on my earlier Nokia however the same cannot be done in the Gnex. It say no internet connection when i try to surf while being on a call. Moment the call ends the internet connection is alive again.

Gurus, any specific setting that needs to be enabled???
Not an expert on this matter, but I have always noticed it to be as you described. Call and data download doesn't happen simultaneously. As soon as a call is connected, the E or G symbol disappears. It appears back once the call ends.

I think this is normal. Experienced this on multiple handsets, SE w550i, w580i, Nokia 6233, Ace.
Old 12th October 2012, 15:40   #11861
Senior - BHPian

^^ This is possible on 3G & wifi, but not on edge networks. If you are on edge, the data is disabled when you are on a call - as observed in all the all handsets i've owned thus far..!
Old 12th October 2012, 15:40   #11862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post

2) I text a lot on whatsapp. So the keyboard should be decent enough in landscape mode.
Thanks.
At that price point, on a personal note i would suggest you get a Motorola Defy Plus. I know a lot of people will fire me from every possible direction but at that price it sure is the best phone out there. Has a decent battery life, Fantastic dev support on xda if you are a person who enjoys rooting and trying custom roms. AND all the 6 points you have listed above are taken care of here with many more such as scratch resistance, water proof etc. There are quite a few Defy / Defy+ users here and i can safely assume that most are satisfied.

Just a few Key Features of Defy +

Android v2.3 (Gingerbread) OS
5 MP Primary Camera
3.7-inch Touchscreen
1 GHz Processor
Expandable Storage Capacity of 32 GB
2G and 3G Network Support
FM Radio

FK is selling Defy+ at 12999/-.

Source : http://www.flipkart.com/motorola-def...er=from-search

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 12th October 2012 at 15:42.
Old 12th October 2012, 15:56   #11863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Hi guys I need your help :

Im planning to buy a new Android phone very soon. Budget is about 12k. I use a BB Curve 8520 right now.

I bought a Galaxy Pop few months back but now my mom uses it. I find that phone's performance pretty decent.

3) I saw some Micromax phones too. Forgot the model nos. The specs looked good enough for the price. One of them was about 6k and the other was 9k. Are these phones worth buying? They even had a big almost 4 inch screen.
Any reviews here?
Exactly same situation as mine a month back (BB user shifting to Android). Only addition to the criteria listed by you (in my case) - I did not want to spend more than 10k (kept it as the budget). Picked up the Micromax A100 - the phone is working flawlessly. Unfortunately there are no stocks available. If budget is not a priority, then go for Defy+ as @harshal has recommended.

Else there are several Micromax 4-inch models (plus other brands of course) in the 6-10k range that will fulfill your (and my) criteria.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th October 2012 at 15:57.
Old 12th October 2012, 15:58   #11864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ This is possible on 3G & wifi, but not on edge networks. If you are on edge, the data is disabled when you are on a call - as observed in all the all handsets i've owned thus far..!
Aah, that explains it then. I have never used 3G for extended periods to check this.
Old 12th October 2012, 16:03   #11865
BHPian

Updated my Xperia U to ICS today. I hope the experience is better than GB on this phone. I'm expecting the battery backup to last longer too. Lets see.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks