Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 19:15   #11941
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I wanna use my Defy + for Navigation/Maps.

This might help.
Old 16th October 2012, 19:20   #11942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe
NOOB QUESTION:

Could someone please gimme a step by step lesson as to how to get about it. Please don't me up, I admit I'm lagging 2-3 years behind.
Several possible apps depending on what you need.
Google maps should be preinstalled - advantages: very good search database. You will find almost anything you want. Well integrated with other apps such as google places. The latest update has voice navigation too. However after using it a little I see some shortcomings in the turn by turn directions. Note that this uses your network to download maps and routes.

Waze: good app to use as it also gives traffic density. However note that this is based on other waze users and so this will work well only where there are more waze users - for example Bangalore has a fair number and during peak hours there is a good chance of getting accurate data. Can be used for regular navigation too. Similar to google maps, this uses the Internet to get the maps and routes. Works well on 2g plan too.

Sat guide / mapmyindia etc: apps you can buy which have offline maps. If you are worried about data bandwidth or going out of station quite a bit where GPRS /3G may not be reliable, this is a good ideA.

Personally I use google maps if I have to find a place and navigate to it.

Do make sure to have the power connected to the phone as all these apps are very power intensive and can drain a lot of battery even by running for just an hour.
Old 16th October 2012, 20:04   #11943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Sat guide / mapmyindia etc: apps you can buy which have offline maps. If you are worried about data bandwidth or going out of station quite a bit where GPRS /3G may not be reliable, this is a good ideA.
Guess this is what I'd want. I don't use 3G as there is adequate wifi coverage where I work/live.
So once I download satguide/MMI maps, its just the question of the GPS connecting to the satellite and giving me directions, right? Are there any hidden/recurrent costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Google maps should be preinstalled - advantages: very good search database. You will find almost anything you want. Well integrated with other apps such as google places. The latest update has voice navigation too. However after using it a little I see some shortcomings in the turn by turn directions. Note that this uses your network to download maps and routes.
I'll need to use Navigation only when driving to Chennai (once every 6 - 8 weeks), to find my way around the city. Does Google Maps give info on one ways and traffic deviations? Nowadays with the Metro Rail work in progress, I find it difficult.
Does Google Maps work well on a GPRS plan? Also, how much data would it use, say for one hour of usage (or any other time frame)?

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 16th October 2012 at 20:20. Reason: Additions
Old 16th October 2012, 21:53   #11944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does Google Maps work well on a GPRS plan? Also, how much data would it use, say for one hour of usage (or any other time frame)?
I used the google map offline maps last month and then used the GPRS for navigation. This essentially means, getting directions and navigation guidance online while the map tiles are stored offline. For 3-4 hrs of usage, my data usage was around 11 MB.
Old 16th October 2012, 23:16   #11945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
19asu means 80-85% signal max
(Unverified)Motorola had to relocate the antenna on the Atrix2 to comply with the existing SAR regulations.Maybe they lowered the Tx/Rx power too.

This is a common 'cheap' practice to lower the SAR of a device.However, having a higher SAR device doesn't necessarily mean better signal strength.
Old 16th October 2012, 23:22   #11946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Simple question: Is Galaxy Nexus available in India with Manufacturer warranty at all? I asked my brother to check out the prices in a store in Blr and he says they are selling it for 24.9K with only a month's warranty! What does that mean?

Then, what is the difference between this phone at 24.9K in a shop and the same phone available in grey market at 22K?
Simple answer: NO. Unlike Nexus S (the earlier version), Samsung doesnt have any plans to launch the Galaxy Nexus in India.

You have three options:
1. Buy directly from Play Store in US and ask someone to bring it for you. Of course, there is no warranty. But at least there is authenticity
2. Buy from your 'trusted' grey market shop. Again, no manufacturer warranty but if the shop is known, you might get some kind of seller warranty. Do check the origin of phone (US/Dubai/UK/HK).
3. Buy from Ebay/GEB. There are some listings offering 1 year warranty from a 3rd party provider called ServPro

The 1 month warranty that you are seeing probably falls in Option 2.

Quote:
NOOB QUESTION:

Could someone please gimme a step by step lesson as to how to get about it. Please don't me up, I admit I'm lagging 2-3 years behind.
If you're in Del/Mum/Blr you could use Google Maps/Navigation. Pretty accurate and given the excellent GPS chip in Defy+, you get started in 1-2 seconds. However GMaps needs an active EDGE/3G connection all the time.

Other option is to buy maps from MMI and use Sygic. If you are enterprising enough, search around and you may find 'other ways' to get Sygic working. It is also as good, if not better, than GMaps and doesnt require data connection as maps are saved during the initial setup.
Old 17th October 2012, 06:31   #11947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause

(Unverified)Motorola had to relocate the antenna on the Atrix2 to comply with the existing SAR regulations.Maybe they lowered the Tx/Rx power too.

This is a common 'cheap' practice to lower the SAR of a device.However, having a higher SAR device doesn't necessarily mean better signal strength.
But what about the battery usage? Also, how come AT&T devices are not having this issue?
Old 17th October 2012, 07:09   #11948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe

Guess this is what I'd want. I don't use 3G as there is adequate wifi coverage where I work/live.
So once I download satguide/MMI maps, its just the question of the GPS connecting to the satellite and giving me directions, right? Are there any hidden/recurrent costs?
No. This is a complete offline model. No costs apart from the initial investment. The map updates may be charged though.

Quote:
I'll need to use Navigation only when driving to Chennai (once every 6 - 8 weeks), to find my way around the city. Does Google Maps give info on one ways and traffic deviations? Nowadays with the Metro Rail work in progress, I find it difficult.
Google maps does give one ways and if you ask for directions it will make sure to route you on the correct ways (on one ways). However, I don't think it would route you on traffic diversions because Google may not know it considering they are very dynamic and also temporary.

I strongly encourage you to check waze as this is built on other user's data. This still may not give you traffic diversions but may show you an optimum route. You can install the application and scroll on the map to Chennai city and see if there are many jams shown. Jams are shown as color coded on roads with a approximate speed also shown on them. You can do this right now without traveling, but try during peak hours. If there are a lot of users you will see many jams reported which inturn means the data is more reliable.
Old 17th October 2012, 09:40   #11949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll need to use Navigation only when driving to Chennai (once every 6 - 8 weeks), to find my way around the city.
If your usage is so less, then why are you worried about data usage?
A 2G plan for 1 GB should cost you around Rs. 100 which should suffice your requirement.

I would not recommend Sygic for city navigation. The maps are outdated by at least 10 months. Google maps is updated very frequently, but still if there are diversions created every few days, then no map provider will update that.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:39   #11950
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I used the google map offline maps last month and then used the GPRS for navigation. This essentially means, getting directions and navigation guidance online while the map tiles are stored offline. For 3-4 hrs of usage, my data usage was around 11 MB.
how to do the above..?
Old 17th October 2012, 15:47   #11951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
But what about the battery usage? Also, how come AT&T devices are not having this issue?
My Atrix2 ICS doesn't have the battery drain issue. In low signal areas, the switch to 2G takes place. If you force 3G in a low signal area, battery drains quickly in any 3G handset.

Otherwise, in 3G, I get a battery life that is a couple of hours less than on 2G

Check if the AT&T is ME865. If it isn't, then it is probably a software config problem.

I used the v6 supercharger Script on xda to optimize the WiFi and 3G. From then on, Wifi power savings have been excellent.
Old 17th October 2012, 15:55   #11952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
My Atrix2 ICS doesn't have the battery drain issue. In low signal areas, the switch to 2G takes place. If you force 3G in a low signal area, battery drains quickly in any 3G handset.

Otherwise, in 3G, I get a battery life that is a couple of hours less than on 2G

Check if the AT&T is ME865. If it isn't, then it is probably a software config problem.

I used the v6 supercharger Script on xda to optimize the WiFi and 3G. From then on, Wifi power savings have been excellent.
Thanks. The AT&T one is MB865 only, same as mine. On 2G I am getting battery life close to 30-34 hours with full time data and exchange sync. The experiment goes on and on and on
Old 17th October 2012, 17:34   #11953
BHPian

Still having trouble!
Tried Navigation with my wifi connection, but it just keeps on trying to find 'my location'.
Maps are loading fine, including places of interest and stuff. Does this GPS connectivity have anything to do with me being inside a building while trying to connect Navigation??
Old 17th October 2012, 17:57   #11954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maps are loading fine, including places of interest and stuff. Does this GPS connectivity have anything to do with me being inside a building while trying to connect Navigation??
Yes, try from a place where you have clear view of sky.
Old 17th October 2012, 17:58   #11955
BHPian

^^ Yes, GPS signals are usually weak, so you won't get a lock when inside building. Go out and see the Lock within few seconds with 3G or wifi switched on . I too faced this problem with my xoom. went out on road and voila, i was locked in with few seconds.

Another question i have in mind for some time

Is there anyway i can download google Maps for offline usage for whole india or say for a complete state. I know i can cache them on my tab by planning a route but that requires a constant internet connection while i am caching. Once i am on road without internet, i cannot do any thing. Hence the idea if there is any tweak, so that i can download all the google maps on tab and use them without having to worry about internet via 3 G or wifi .

Most Viewed