Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2012, 21:53   #12496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Samsung is planning to release 4.2 to its Galaxy range of devices..but most likely to only the recently released models viz SGS3, SGS3 mini and the Note 2.

http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-weighs-...s3-7000007321/

In due course could mean a number of months, 2-4 months knowing how they work. I am not holding my breath! More importantly Sammy should get 4.1.1 JB issues ironed out.

Hope to folks don't get all steamed up if this update is delayed. I'd rather have stable ROM instead of a flaky one. Willing to wait. The latest SGS3 JB has been disappointing so far while the Note 2 ROM is great.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:03   #12497
BHPian

Guys, Any suggestions for a "ToDo" app? I am using Any.Do currently, but want to know if there are any better apps out there.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:36   #12498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My wife's SGS3 updated very recently with the JB leak (26/10/12 kernel date, ver 4.1.1) has been acting rather funny. The phone is not rooted.

Random freezes, sometimes with the display not switching off. Is anybody facing these kind of issues? I may go back to ICS as it was far more stable.
My galaxy nexus has been running the jelly bean 4.1.1 rock solid. Real stable, fast and smooth.

With this, I could also see the highest uptime of a device used by me - almost 16days from boot and no crashes nothing. It would have gone beyond that but one day battery died and had to reboot.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th November 2012 at 22:38.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:36   #12499
BHPian

is the samsung galaxy s3 mini out in india? and if it is, what's the approximate cost of the same?
Thanks in advance
Old 13th November 2012, 22:44   #12500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai
Guys, Any suggestions for a "ToDo" app? I am using Any.Do currently, but want to know if there are any better apps out there.
Check out Astrid, been using it to keep track of tasks for long.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:46   #12501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
With this, I could also see the highest uptime of a device used by me - almost 16days from boot and no crashes nothing. It would have gone beyond that but one day battery died and had to reboot.
Yes, the JB implementation on my Note 2 has been a good experience. In fact this is the 1st time I actually liked the OEM implementation instead of pure Android. Not looking at any developer ROMs like CM.

The GS3 JB seems to be flaky possibly due to Samsung rushing it out the door before it was fully baked. That said, in terms of responsiveness I found JB better than ICS even on the GS3.

But I, rather my wife, will use/test it for a week or so before I actually condemn it. I hope there are no more freezes. If a flagship phone gets flaky software that's customer experience which quite frankly sucks.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:49   #12502
BHPian

Name:  ForumRunner_20121113_224339.png
Views: 479
Size:  622.1 KB

Galaxy note offer till 18th Nov in Croma, Bangalore. Effectively 27.5k :-)

Last edited by vigneshnr : 13th November 2012 at 22:51.
Old 13th November 2012, 23:49   #12503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

The GS3 JB seems to be flaky possibly due to Samsung rushing it out the door before it was fully baked.
If a flagship phone gets flaky software that's customer experience which quite frankly sucks.
I hated the JB India version when I flashed it over my JB Poland version which I had downloaded from sammobile. As it was, I absolutely hated the India version. I did not like it at all because of random freezes and general quirkyness.

All it required was a hard reset and a odin reflash. Now, it really is performing the way JB was supposed to perform. You might want to try the factory reset and reflash.
Old 14th November 2012, 00:23   #12504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Yes they do, unless you buy a nexus device from a carrier like Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I use a Samsung Nexus S (originally launched in late 2010) and I got JB update sometime in July 2012.

Assuming the Nexus 4 has no such issues, you should get updates instantly. Almost 2 to 3 months ahead of any other phone.
Thanks, This helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
@Technocrat-Nexus 4 has a LCD display which has superior color reproduction.Sammy's pentile HD display tends to produce oversaturated images
Hmm interesting, My HTC has what they call as Super LCD & in most cases it looked better than the SAMOLED on the original Galaxy. I need to see these displays side by side to take the call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Hey,

I am aware that the US version of S3 is dual core. If I was to pick a S3, I would have opted for the international version itself.

The no memory card slot is not much of a deal breaker for me. 16gb more than answers my needs. Unless you plan to watch movies on your phone, I think the memory is more than sufficient.
Actually, the no card slot is not much big issue for me either, my current phone has 7GB & that's not full yet. The reason I am looking for more or expandable memory in my next phone is because currently I carry my Android phone & a classic iPod, I was thinking on how to reduce the number of devices that I carry & keep one device only instead of two & for that reason Nexus not having expandable memory is an issue. But then again with the kind of battery life these touch devices have, its probably better to keep them separate as my iPod's battery lasts for over a week.

& oh btw I still get lured by that Amazing Note 2.

Another thing i need to check is the feel that the glass panels will have on the Nexus, I absolutely hate feeling that boxy glass on my iPhone 4S while talking(I like the form factor & shape just dislike the touch feel of the glass panel)

Decisions Decisions :|
Old 14th November 2012, 01:02   #12505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911
All it required was a hard reset and a odin reflash. Now, it really is performing the way JB was supposed to perform. You might want to try the factory reset and reflash.
So you are now using the India version or Poland? I'll try a reset next time it freezes before taking a final call on ICS or JB (both India versions) Have both roms ready to flash. The handset is behaving well so far after the battery pull. Time will tell. But I am certainly disappointed in this particular release. Hopefully the next will be well cooked like the Note 2 ROM.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:04   #12506
BHPian

Hi android folks, I am planning to get my first android device. Samsung Galaxy Note II.
Any word of caution?
What to look out for, like details on carton indicating latest import date or something like that?

What initial setup should I do?
Old 14th November 2012, 10:13   #12507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster
Hi android folks, I am planning to get my first android device. Samsung Galaxy Note II.
Any word of caution?
What to look out for, like details on carton indicating latest import date or something like that?

What initial setup should I do?
I am not as android-savvy as many others on this thread. So I won't comment on the technicalities.

Be aware of prices though. The best price currently is 36900 from the samsung store. I was surprised to see some retailing at 38500 so do a little bit of hopping around before you purchase one because you will need to shell out an additional 1400 for the flip cover which does noy come along with the box. It used to along with the note.
Old 14th November 2012, 11:56   #12508
BHPian

How to take a screenshot on the Xperia Tipo?

On other Sony devices there is the volume down button + power button method but it doesn't seem to work on the Tipo.
Old 14th November 2012, 12:20   #12509
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Apparently 4.2 update is only available for TAKJU devices. Looks like we will have to move to TAKJU 4.1.2 and then check for updates.

Any one ready for the switch ?
Old 14th November 2012, 12:36   #12510
Senior - BHPian

It's around two months since I am using HTC one V but I am not able to access 3g services. I have complained to airtel again & again but they say everything is right on their part. 3g settings are not automatic on one V and they are manually adjusted as per operator's instructions. Please assist.

Most Viewed