Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2012, 19:38   #12721

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
My viber is version 2.1.2. I actually started to install older viber versions one by one to see which one hangs. The worst thing is, there is absolutely no indication that the hang is because of viber. I was able to figure this out only because I installed only one app at a time and waited for 3 to 4 days before installing the next app.

I have not yet tried ics or jb yet. Any recommendations on whjhc ones are good? As of now I am loving cm7.2 and don't see any reason to move, but you know what, we guys don't need a reason to do something new ain't it? .
Ok Thank you for the info. Great research you have done for the apps. Nobody would have patience at such a level.

Yes Definitely, it's fun to try new custom roms. As far as I have used, there are no stable ICS/JB custom roms. One or the other have few bugs.

CM 9 and KU5900 ICS seem to be better of the lot.

The only point of concern is, Backup and Restoring the apps, contacts and messages every time I switch Roms. Like, Asphalt 7, I have downloaded 6 times totally. Else, it's pure fun playing with Custom Roms
Old 26th November 2012, 12:48   #12722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Got a Samsung Note 2 a week ago, after intense debates with vid6639. I am very pleased at this last-minute contender!
I have ordered one too. Along with the flip cover.

Have you managed to get comfortable with the size? That was my main concern. Finally got swayed after reading that the Note 2 survived the drop tests much better than the S3. And after analyzing how much time I spend with the phone doing what.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 26th November 2012 at 12:55.
Old 26th November 2012, 13:14   #12723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

Have you managed to get comfortable with the size? That was my main concern. Finally got swayed after reading that the Note 2 survived the drop tests much better than the S3. And after analyzing how much time I spend with the phone doing what.
I sold off my IP4s and got a Titanium Grey Note 2 with flip cover on 30/10, it's nearly a month now and I love the phone, the display, responsiveness & battery life. Good RF performance too. I don't think anybody regrets buying a Note 2.

My SGS3 is now being used by Wifey.
Old 26th November 2012, 13:54   #12724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

The size needed getting used to during the first day only. Since then, it has become a natural, with some adjustments: not to be kept in trouser pockets while sitting/standing up + the phone is kept in my laptop backpack if I happen to take the Royal Enfield to work. But brilliant, brilliant phone.
Old 26th November 2012, 15:00   #12725
Senior - BHPian

@ R2D2 and theMAG@ thanks for sharing your feedback. Makes me glad I opted for the SG Note 2.

Seems a shoulder holster would be ideal while wearing a jacket, and otherwise a low slung sixshooter type holster. But a Note 2 instead of a Beretta or a 0.45 cal.
Old 26th November 2012, 16:26   #12726
Distinguished - BHPian

Noobie Question Alert:

My MM A100 gets a bit slow at times, I'm wondering if I should do a factory reset. Now ICS has the option "Backup all applications" in the settings which I have enabled. Now if I do a factory reset (not erasing SD card), and once I'm done with that
- Do all the applications get installed automatically?
- If I have to install the applications manually, will the existing data be replicated? (For e.g. say Angry Birds has been completed till XY stage - will that be retrieved?
Old 26th November 2012, 17:19   #12727
Senior - BHPian

Micromax A110 Canvas 2.

How is this phone for constant Whatsapp, FB and Twitter, approximately 90 minutes of calling in a day and a little bit of web. and how does it handle rough use. Music and Camera would be used moderately.

Planning to get it for my better half. Got a quote of 9990 from Vijay Sales while Flipkart is showing 10300.

Users who are using it, can you you provide feedback on the above parameters please. Is the 512MB RAM good enough for performing the above mentioned activities without lag.

I had one more question. We get the Vodafone Internet USB Sticks which actually have a SIM Card inside the USB stick. Can this SIM Card be used in Dual SIM Phones and setup in such a way that all the internet usage is being done from that SIM only and not the other SIM.

Thanks.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 26th November 2012 at 17:29.
Old 26th November 2012, 18:07   #12728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
How is this phone for constant Whatsapp, FB and Twitter, approximately 90 minutes of calling in a day and a little bit of web. and how does it handle rough use. Music and Camera would be used moderately.
It is fine for this usage. It does not have any performance issues. However, rough use? I am not sure what you mean by rough use? Physical violence?

Quote:

I had one more question. We get the Vodafone Internet USB Sticks which actually have a SIM Card inside the USB stick. Can this SIM Card be used in Dual SIM Phones and setup in such a way that all the internet usage is being done from that SIM only and not the other SIM.

Thanks.
There is an option on the phone to turn on 3G on either one of the SIMs - so you can select it accordingly and use only a particular SIM for 3G access.
Old 26th November 2012, 18:57   #12729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
It is fine for this usage. It does not have any performance issues. However, rough use? I am not sure what you mean by rough use? Physical violence?

There is an option on the phone to turn on 3G on either one of the SIMs - so you can select it accordingly and use only a particular SIM for 3G access.
Thanks Naveen. That helps a lot.

Hahaha, No violence. Just that the phone will definitely fall atleast a couple of times in a day.

And i was planning to buy the Vodafone Internet USB. Since thats a data only SIM, i was thinking of putting that as the 2nd one.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 26th November 2012, 19:09   #12730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Naveen. That helps a lot.

Hahaha, No violence. Just that the phone will definitely fall atleast a couple of times in a day.

And i was planning to buy the Vodafone Internet USB. Since thats a data only SIM, i was thinking of putting that as the 2nd one.

Thanks for your reply.
Just kidding . But I wouldn't go so far as to say that it can withstand couple of falls every day. Its not that hardy a phone. Do take a physical look of the phone and you will know.

And yes, I have also confirmed that the SIM from a USB dongle will work - just tested my Airtel 3G dongle SIM on the second SIM slot on the phone and 3G works great from that.
Old 26th November 2012, 19:24   #12731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Just kidding . But I wouldn't go so far as to say that it can withstand couple of falls every day. Its not that hardy a phone. Do take a physical look of the phone and you will know.

And yes, I have also confirmed that the SIM from a USB dongle will work - just tested my Airtel 3G dongle SIM on the second SIM slot on the phone and 3G works great from that.
Fall it will but i do plan to get a nice rubbery cover for it. I have bargained hard to get her from an S3 to the A110 (Cant imagine the S3 fall and break). Currently the Wildfire S has been subjected to falls, water etc for the last one year but somehow it has survived, which i plan to use as a guinea pig for rooting, custom ROMS etc.

And your confirmation of the USB SIM working is a sureshot go ahead for me. Shall get it in the coming weekend. Thanks.
Old 26th November 2012, 20:32   #12732
BHPian

I got one LG Optimus 4X HD. The first device I got, I was unable to hear voice from the phone speaker. If I put it on speaker then I was able to hear voice. I got the device replaced. The new one worked well for a month and now same problem with this device. I have to pick up the phone and put it on speaker to hear any voice. I cannot hear anything if I put the device to my ear. Restarting did mot help.

Any idea what could have gone wrong? Or I have to replace the device again?

Last edited by Figopian : 26th November 2012 at 20:34.
Old 26th November 2012, 21:35   #12733
Senior - BHPian

Two days into the purchase, I have some issues with my moto atrix2 running on stock ginger bread.

1) The screen time out resets to 30 seconds randomly despite setting it to 2 minutes.

2) Google play store doesn't load at all.

3) If I go to play store using a browser and download an app, I get a notification stating that the app will be downloaded shortly. But that's the end of it. No app gets downloaded, With play store not working, I am crippled

Heeeeelllllllpppppppppp!!!!
Old 26th November 2012, 21:47   #12734
Senior - BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20121126_213610.jpg

That one right there is the review I just posted for YouTube android app.

Why can't they persist the buffering at least till the end of the video even if the focus goes out of the app? All the buffered data gets lost if you switch to another app, turn the display off, or even while another app shows a popup notification! I know in iOS, the story is different!
Old 26th November 2012, 22:16   #12735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12
Two days into the purchase, I have some issues with my moto atrix2 running on stock ginger bread.

1) The screen time out resets to 30 seconds randomly despite setting it to 2 minutes.

2) Google play store doesn't load at all.

3) If I go to play store using a browser and download an app, I get a notification stating that the app will be downloaded shortly. But that's the end of it. No app gets downloaded, With play store not working, I am crippled

Heeeeelllllllpppppppppp!!!!
Might be worth checking if you're on the latest available OS version. If you haven't already put up a post on XDA about the display time out.

Try opening Gplay after you've emptied the cache and have force closed it. Might work. You could also try installing apps by logging into Google play on a PC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks