Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 07:14   #14491
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Native SD is a new type of ROM where you can install multiple ROM and increase the phone storage to based on your usage. You can allocate 2 GB as local storage from 8GB micro SD card. The 2GB partition will be in EXT4 and will be considered as local storage. I am using it in my HTC HD2 with JB version and 2 GB local storage, now I am able to install lot of apps.
Thanks, but I already am using a memory card script and have created an extra EXT3 partition to get 2GB of internal storage. I'm currently using the CM9 ROM.

I didn't mention this because alpha1 said he wasn't much into custom ROMs, and only link2sd method works with the stock ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Thanks!

This went over my head. I am supposed to find a ROM called Native SD and load it?
Not sure about that, but there are SD card scripts out there which work with almost every custom ROM out there, except some ROMs which are based on the stock ROM.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:59   #14492

Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus HELP!!

Friends,

Need help from Bangalore based members with my sis' Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

The phone suddenly and with no apparent reason keeps toggling between "Aeroplane" mode and refuses to come of it!! The phone has stopped catching any signals (radio issues?). We have tried with different SIMs and networks, nothing works. I believe the complete phone "status" section including IMEI etc is empty!

Samsung service centres at Marathahalli have refused to do anything about it.
Could the Bangalore based members suggest a good place (National Market?) to have this checked out. Specific store or technician numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:15   #14493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post

Thanks, but I already am using a memory card script and have created an extra EXT3 partition to get 2GB of internal storage. I'm currently using the CM9 ROM.

I didn't mention this because alpha1 said he wasn't much into custom ROMs, and only link2sd method works with the stock ROM.

Not sure about that, but there are SD card scripts out there which work with almost every custom ROM out there, except some ROMs which are based on the stock ROM.
Came across below link after googling a bit:
http://www.softwaredon.com/2012/04/i...o-sd-card.html

Havent tried it yet, but not sure if it works, else this method could have been default method on XDA as well for all/ most of the phones.

I will try that on my Canvas HD, to see if it works without rooting, else i may have to root it & swap the internal & external memory using some root level editor.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:27   #14494
Senior - BHPian

Which android phones come with Internet pass through feature by default. (Also known as reverse tethering)?

The HTC explorer comes with default option, and you have to select this when you connect to PC. I was appalled to see my friend's Galaxy note didn't have this feature! It needs to be rooted to utilize this.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:41   #14495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
This is for galaxy grand users here, Do you guys use any protection, for so called aluminum finish on sides ??
I do have a flip cover along, but i am more concerned about sides, I am sure, they will attract scratches easily.
No mate. I personally don't use any protection for the aluminium finish on sides. I am also using the free flip cover as you do. There are two options though:

1. Use flip cover - Sides remain exposed. If you have sharp () objects in your pocket, the sides could be scratched. Well, a simple key could scratch the sides !
2. Use the regular silicone covers. The entire phone is covered except the screen. So get a good quality Scratch guard for the screen. Benefit of this is that the back of the phone is covered too. The back plastic is prone to scratches. But it comes at the cost of the screen being exposed.

Quite a difficult choice. Kuch paane ke liye kuch khone padta hai.
Old 12th April 2013, 18:32   #14496
Senior - BHPian

Hi

My 2 month old HTC Desire X has developed a problem with the Android OS, after sending reports to HTC after each crash, there is no feedback.

The phone behaves erratically, is there any way one can download fresh software off the web ??

Is this a problem with the Android platform, or am I plain unlucky with my phone >

Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 18:42   #14497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Hi

My 2 month old HTC Desire X has developed a problem with the Android OS, after sending reports to HTC after each crash, there is no feedback.

The phone behaves erratically, is there any way one can download fresh software off the web ??

Is this a problem with the Android platform, or am I plain unlucky with my phone

Thanks
The best starting point would be to do a factory reset, if its OK for you. If that doesn't work out, you can flash the entire stock ROM
Old 12th April 2013, 19:32   #14498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Came across below link after googling a bit:
http://www.softwaredon.com/2012/04/i...o-sd-card.html

Havent tried it yet, but not sure if it works, else this method could have been default method on XDA as well for all/ most of the phones.

I will try that on my Canvas HD, to see if it works without rooting, else i may have to root it & swap the internal & external memory using some root level editor.
Do try it out and let us know if it works. I kinda find it hard to believe that it can be done so easily.
Old 13th April 2013, 00:29   #14499
Senior - BHPian

Installed Facebook Home today on SIII.

Right now it is available on HTC One X, HTC One X+, Samsung Galaxy S III or Samsung Galaxy Note II for download from play store or facebook website.

The experience honestly is underwhelming. I had expected more from this app but its nothing but an add-on for hogging battery and data plans. I plan to test both the things in detail and will report back.

The design is simple but it is crazy to see everybody's faces on the main screen. There is no option of switching to wi-fi only. So it could potentially use data all the time and can lead to huge bills. I liked the chat heads but may not be good enough to keep it. Hopefully something better will come in future versions.
Old 13th April 2013, 01:32   #14500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
No mate. I personally don't use any protection for the aluminium finish on sides. I am also using the free flip cover as you do. There are two options though:

1. Use flip cover - Sides remain exposed. If you have sharp () objects in your pocket, the sides could be scratched. Well, a simple key could scratch the sides !
2. Use the regular silicone covers. The entire phone is covered except the screen. So get a good quality Scratch guard for the screen. Benefit of this is that the back of the phone is covered too. The back plastic is prone to scratches. But it comes at the cost of the screen being exposed.

Quite a difficult choice. Kuch paane ke liye kuch khone padta hai.
Thanks for listing out the alternatives , Well my dad loves the flip cover and in no way, he will let me add a silicone cover with screen guard. I guess, no choice except being a bit careful with the sides.

BTW I really liked this device, Before buying this, I thought the screen would be disaster, but infact its good. I kept a canvas HD, One V, Both having good ppi's but there was hardly noticeable difference, Until you look VERY close.

Camera is awesome, Phone is snappy, Fast. GPU looks promising, I ran nena mark 2 and was quite amazed by the result.

All in all, A purchase well made
Old 13th April 2013, 03:51   #14501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Installed Facebook Home today on SIII.

Right now it is available on HTC One X, HTC One X+, Samsung Galaxy S III or Samsung Galaxy Note II for download from play store or facebook website.
Not yet available for my humble Xperia Neo V. But I tried Chat Heads and found it very impressive. Makes it very easy to chat with friends while doing other stuff on the phone.
Old 13th April 2013, 10:06   #14502
BHPian

Has anyone noticed lag in performance after installing the Jelly Bean update on the Note 1? Even my battery life has reduced although I did the factory reset. I used to play one game called vector but that is lagging a lot on this jelly bean update.

Can the experts suggest a good ROM with the Snote feature but as light as Paranoid android? By far that was the best ROM i had used. Looks like I need to get back to a custom rom. Not at all happy with this jelly bean. On continuous usage the battery doesnt even last 3 hours :(

Also what is the current opinion about Nexus 4? Is it a durable product? Was thinking of getting a phone with good GPS sensors that i can use on my rides and it will be put through rough use. How is the GPS on the nexus 4? How are the GPS sensors on micromax phones?

Other than firangibhai.com, where else can i get the nexus 4 at cheaper rates?

Thanks in advance.

edit:
Also wanted to know something about Play store purchases. If i purchase some app on one android phone(note), will i have to pay for it again if I want to download it on another phone? Ive the swiftkey paid version on the note. So will i again have to pay for it if im using another phone?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 13th April 2013 at 10:12.
Old 13th April 2013, 10:22   #14503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Has anyone noticed lag in performance after installing the Jelly Bean update on the Note 1? Even my battery life has reduced although I did the factory reset.

Can the experts suggest a good ROM with the Snote feature but as light as Paranoid android? By far that was the best ROM i had used. Looks like I need to get back to a custom rom. Not at all happy with this jelly bean. On continuous usage the battery doesnt even last 3 hours :(

Also what is the current opinion about Nexus 4? Is it a durable product? Was thinking of getting a phone with good GPS sensors that i can use on my rides and it will be put through rough use. How is the GPS on the nexus 4? How are the GPS sensors on micromax phones?

Other than firangibhai.com, where else can i get the nexus 4 at cheaper rates?

Thanks in advance.
I had used JB on Note1 for a long time ( the German leaked version) and also the official German one after it was launched. There are a lot of Samsung apps and services which I had disabled in that. I would suggest you to go to manage apps and disable all that you don't need. Some of them I uninstalled. You may need to root to do that but you should be able to get the philz kernal from XDA. It was working pretty well for me and I absolutely loved the experience. From my experience, I would say it was better than any custom ROM including paranoid Android. It would last 24 hours for me some days but around 18 hours if I use it a lot. Location services ( makes Google now very useful) used to consume a lot of battery along with my office exchange mail sync. You can try switching them off and see the consumption for a day or two. I moved to other non - TW based JB roms recently because of boredom and also because I wanted to extend the battery life. Now I am on official CM 10.1 ( it doesn't have S-note though, which is okay for me as I wasn't using S-Note much). It lasts up to 36 hours now with normal usage ( 10-12 hours on wifi, rest of the time on 2g/3g mode with data on). 3 hours is too less for any usage except may be for gaming.
Old 13th April 2013, 12:10   #14504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

edit:
Also wanted to know something about Play store purchases. If i purchase some app on one android phone(note), will i have to pay for it again if I want to download it on another phone? Ive the swiftkey paid version on the note. So will i again have to pay for it if im using another phone?
No, once you buy an app, you don't need to buy it again, just download on new phone.
Old 13th April 2013, 20:14   #14505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post

No, once you buy an app, you don't need to buy it again, just download on new phone.
So if I add my Gmail profile to another phone who has not bought an app that I have bought, can I still use my paid for app across both profiles on the same phone?

Most Viewed