Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 21:12   #14521
BHPian

Is it the One x+ or the HTC Butterfly?
Old 14th April 2013, 21:35   #14522
Senior - BHPian

HTC one x+ is really really good clevermax. With recent price reduction its very good buy. I think the 64 gb one is available for 29k or something like that. It has awesome screen, awesome build quality and a nice camera. Root it, flash a good Rom and you have one of the best phone out there.

What color have you chosen? I dig the black one really. I am myself considering its big brother the 'One' for my impending upgrade. Seriously in love with it.
Old 14th April 2013, 23:20   #14523
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Has anyone noticed lag in performance after installing the Jelly Bean update on the Note 1? Even my battery life has reduced although I did the factory reset. I used to play one game called vector but that is lagging a lot on this jelly bean update.

Also what is the current opinion about Nexus 4? Is it a durable product? Was thinking of getting a phone with good GPS sensors that i can use on my rides and it will be put through rough use. How is the GPS on the nexus 4? How are the GPS sensors on micromax phones?

Other than firangibhai.com, where else can i get the nexus 4 at cheaper rates?

Thanks in advance.

edit:
Also wanted to know something about Play store purchases. If i purchase some app on one android phone(note), will i have to pay for it again if I want to download it on another phone? Ive the swiftkey paid version on the note. So will i again have to pay for it if im using another phone?
Paranoid Android is a very good rom, I have installed on my GNEX. I think it is safe to assume that it will be same on NOTE.
Make sure you move to a custom kernel. You will see a marked improvement.

Nexus 4 and rough use cant go in the same line. Nexus 4's screen is prone to breakage easily and it has glass at the back too.

For your reference
http://pocketnow.com/2013/02/07/grav...led-my-nexus-4
Old 14th April 2013, 23:34   #14524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

Paranoid Android is a very good rom, I have installed on my GNEX. I think it is safe to assume that it will be same on NOTE.
Make sure you move to a custom kernel. You will see a marked improvement.

[/url]
I had Paranoid android earlier from ICS till helly bean version. But then I needed SNote functionality and thus had to come back to the stock samsung rom.

I did manage to root the phone yesterday and deleted the bogus apps but battery consumption is reduced only a bt. Today with full web browsing and tbhp browsing plus facebook my phone lasted only 3:10:54s and had to put it back on charge till 100%.

Although the phone has become smooth but battery life leaves a lot to be desired on the stock JB rom.

Thanks for the headsup on the nexus 4. So now Ive to move to other options. HTC one x prices have drastically reduced yesterday but the battery is not that great on that phone.

Any idea how good the GPS is on Micromax phones? Also the netwrok reception? And battery life on A110? Basically need a cheap but functional handset that wont give up on rough usage and last me atleast 12hrs with maps usage.
Old 15th April 2013, 00:25   #14525
BHPian

Quote:

I had Paranoid android earlier from ICS till helly bean version. But then I needed SNote functionality and thus had to come back to the stock samsung rom.

I did manage to root the phone yesterday and deleted the bogus apps but battery consumption is reduced only a bt. Today with full web browsing and tbhp browsing plus facebook my phone lasted only 3:10:54s and had to put it back on charge till 100%.

Although the phone has become smooth but battery life leaves a lot to be desired on the stock JB rom.

Thanks for the headsup on the nexus 4. So now Ive to move to other options. HTC one x prices have drastically reduced yesterday but the battery is not that great on that phone.

Any idea how good the GPS is on Micromax phones? Also the netwrok reception? And battery life on A110? Basically need a cheap but functional handset that wont give up on rough usage and last me atleast 12hrs with maps usage.
Go for HTC one x/+... If you use GPS maps with navigation, do not consider any Micromax canvas 110/116 as none of these phones has got magnetometer. So your compass & in turn navigation won't work.
Also my canvas HD takes lot of time to fix on few gps sats. So advising against it.
But apart from that, it is really awesome phone for the price. Battery lasts full 16-18 hours with 100% data on & heavy whatsapp, fb usage qlong with few hours of music n games
Old 15th April 2013, 04:41   #14526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
2 Years? That's nothing. My HTC Desire has survived 2 years of use by me, and another year of super rough usage by wifey! Still going strong.
my pathetic chacha survived 8 months before i dumped it out of sheer slowness. i'm sure its built to last, but specs don't let it do much else.
Old 15th April 2013, 06:52   #14527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
my pathetic chacha survived 8 months before i dumped it out of sheer slowness. i'm sure its built to last, but specs don't let it do much else.
Ha ha! Never liked chacha.
And I thought gingerbread is the last OS that Desire is gonna run smoothly, but was wrong. My friend is currently using Desire with Jellybean which runs smoothly.
Old 15th April 2013, 08:27   #14528
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried Facebook Home on Galaxy Note? I tried installing it from Play Store, but I get an error code stating that my Galaxy Note - N7000 does not support the Home App :(

My Android Version is 4.1.2 XXLSE

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-forumrunner_20130415_082728.png

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 15th April 2013 at 08:35.
Old 15th April 2013, 08:38   #14529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Ha ha! Never liked chacha.
And I thought gingerbread is the last OS that Desire is gonna run smoothly, but was wrong. My friend is currently using Desire with Jellybean which runs smoothly.
+1, I am running VJ's Jellybean ROM on my 3 year old Desire

This is one phone which will never really die
Old 15th April 2013, 08:39   #14530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post

Go for HTC one x/+... If you use GPS maps with navigation, do not consider any Micromax canvas 110/116 as none of these phones has got magnetometer. So your compass & in turn navigation won't work.
Thanks for the tip. So micromax is out of the question. Cannot have a phone thats not good with GPS. One of my acquaintances has got the nexus 4 and is happy with it. Htc One X+ is out of budget for me. Dont want to spend much on another phone right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Has anyone tried Facebook Home on Galaxy Note? I tried installing it from Play Store, but I get an error code stating that my Galaxy Note - N7000 does not support the Home App :(

My Android Version is 4.1.2 XXLSE
Facebook home has been released only on certain devices such as HTC One, Htc first and samsung S3. It has not yet been released for the galaxy note
Old 15th April 2013, 09:35   #14531
BHPian

My friend recently purchased Xperia ion online. Since there is micro sim required, he cut the normal sim at a size smaller than the sim size required to be placed resulting in slipping the sim inside the phone which did not came out and got stuck. After this he tried to switch the phone which did not, even after putting it to the charger also. The phone heated for sometime and did not respond.

It is a brand new one, not even screen cover removed and he is facing terrible time, since he does not want to get this repaired through the local service shops in the area.

Guys, what could be the way out for this ? he wants to replace the phone for a new one saying that there is no power in that.I have told him not to fiddle with the phone and keep it in the same condition as it was bought but really confused on this ? how to take the sim out and fearing whether something has gone wrong with phone when the sim came in contact with IC / chip either?

Please advice for some remedy

Thanks in advance

Last edited by metropolis : 15th April 2013 at 09:36. Reason: spelling
Old 15th April 2013, 09:56   #14532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
My friend recently purchased Xperia ion online. Since there is micro sim required, he cut the normal sim at a size smaller than the sim size required to be placed resulting in slipping the sim inside the phone which did not came out and got stuck. After this he tried to switch the phone which did not, even after putting it to the charger also. The phone heated for sometime and did not respond.

It is a brand new one, not even screen cover removed and he is facing terrible time, since he does not want to get this repaired through the local service shops in the area.

Guys, what could be the way out for this ? he wants to replace the phone for a new one saying that there is no power in that.I have told him not to fiddle with the phone and keep it in the same condition as it was bought but really confused on this ? how to take the sim out and fearing whether something has gone wrong with phone when the sim came in contact with IC / chip either?

Please advice for some remedy

Thanks in advance
That is one messy situation. Can he post a pic of the sim which is stuck if possible. (I know its tough)
Most of the phones has those pimple like sim contacts which are spring loaded, so may be he can carefully try to take it out with help of a small pinch like clip by pressing it a bit.
But with some caution not to damage the internal connectors.

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. So micromax is out of the question. Cannot have a phone thats not good with GPS. One of my acquaintances has got the nexus 4 and is happy with it. Htc One X+ is out of budget for me. Dont want to spend much on another phone right now.

Facebook home has been released only on certain devices such as HTC One, Htc first and samsung S3. It has not yet been released for the galaxy note
You can have a look at XOLO Q800, quad core, 1gb, qHD IPS display or karbonn titanium S.
Both are budget quadcores having magnetometer I guess.
IMO xolo q800 can be a good buy near 11k.

Sorry for double post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th April 2013 at 11:00.
Old 15th April 2013, 10:19   #14533
BHPian

Quote:
That is one messy situation. Can he post a pic of the sim which is stuck if possible. (I know its tough)
Most of the phones has those pimple like sim contacts which are spring loaded, so may be he can carefully try to take it out with help of a small pinch like clip by pressing it a bit.
But with some caution not to damage the internal connectors.
Thanks alot offroad_maniac for responding

Saddest part the sim has got deep inside as it pushed down when he inserted

Also, the upper part only open which is a small cover since the battery does not comes out and the both slots of memory card and sim card are located parallel to each other being very complicated not even to put a small pin inside which i think should not be tried that is the reason we are worried

Also, uploading of image would be done by evening only since phone is not with us.

Can we try to replace the phone since there is no power and charging ? I think this is only the way out.

What do you advice? Pl suggest for other alternative
Old 15th April 2013, 10:58   #14534
BHPian

Quote:
Also my canvas HD takes lot of time to fix on few gps sats. So advising against it.
But apart from that, it is really awesome phone for the price. Battery lasts full 16-18 hours with 100% data on & heavy whatsapp, fb usage qlong with few hours of music n games
I am using A110 since 6 months and GPS work just fine out of the box. There are some tweaks for both to get a quick fix. Lack of magnetometer has nothing to do with turn by turn navigation and it works just fine.

I do not have first hand experience with standalone GPS units but normally they too do not have a magenetometer. Read here http://www.ehow.com/about_5557620_ga...formation.html
"Garmin GPS units with compass capability do not contain an internal magnetic compass or magnetometer. The compass information is derived from the triangulation of multiple GPS satellites in orbit around the earth. A GPS receiver must acquire a minimum of three GPS satellites to determine latitude and longitude information, and therefore, to receive compass data on a Garmin GPS unit."

Last edited by alto99 : 15th April 2013 at 11:10.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:06   #14535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
I am using A110 since 6 months and GPS work just fine out of the box. There are some tweaks for both to get a quick fix. Lack of magnetometer has nothing to do with urn by turn by turn navigation and it works just fine.
How does the navigation works w/o magnetometer? As there is no compass

Most Viewed