Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 01:33   #14551
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Funnily enough, I've thought of doing that for many, many years. Long before mobile phones with navigation apps; possible even before GPS became available for cars!

i) I never got around to it and ii) the only compasses I ever saw for cars were tacky, cheap things that looked about as useful as hanging a furry dice from the RVM!

So... No!
Old 16th April 2013, 11:18   #14552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
After having a Wildfire and a DesireS (both bought at their peak rates), I am now thinking of going for a chinese/cheaper phone this time. I am OK with having it shipped into India and living without warranty too. Please suggest any models that meet the following criteria
a) Android JB
b) 4...4.5in screen (not a fan of big screens)
c) QHD or above resolution
d) Dual SIM and Dual active will be good (but not must)
e) finally, 12..15K all inclusive price
I am assuming at this price range, dual core and 1GB RAM are minimum.
Found many options that meet the above criteria, except that all of them have 512mb RAM. Are there any models out there wiht 1gb RAM?
Old 16th April 2013, 14:57   #14553
BHPian

Quote:
Found many options that meet the above criteria, except that all of them have 512mb RAM. Are there any models out there wiht 1gb RAM?
Have you checked Xolo Q800?
It ticks all of your requirement.

Do have a look at the piece & also check some reviews online
Old 16th April 2013, 15:21   #14554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.xolo.in/q800
http://zenxthinks.wordpress.com/2013...week-of-usage/

PM zenx here.
Old 16th April 2013, 16:47   #14555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Have you checked Xolo Q800?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks, I am checking this out and impressed, Karbonn S1 Titanium also is a contender, along with Gionee Dream D1. Let us see who will get my money, will check them out over the weekend.
Old 16th April 2013, 21:04   #14556
BHPian

Experienced Samsung Service centre for the first time. I have been using Galaxy S2 for 14 months now. Last week, I received an OTA update of 423MB size – thought this was for Jelly bean and downloaded it. Now after any firmware updates, it is necessary to reboot the phone (that happens automatically actually). So when the phone restarted, it got stuck on the welcome screen. I waited for an hour to see if it progresses but nothing. I took out the battery and restarted but still nothing.

I searched online for possible solutions – nothing worked in my case. Searched for a Samsung service centre and located one in Santacruz area (Mumbai). Had to pay 170 bucks (labour charges) and the technician updated the phone with Jelly Bean in 30 minutes – was impressed with the service.

So far the experience with Jelly Bean has been awesome. Have installed Google Now too.

I lost all my data and had to reinstall all my apps again. Can someone please tell me how to take back up of everything so that next time this happens, at least my data is secured.

One important thing – I want an app where I can read business/finance news in a friendly format. I have seen the apps of TOI and ET but just wanted to know if there is any other app which is better in terms of performance and quality of news flow. Of course free apps would be preferred.

Another important thing – suppose I create a new contact – I am asked to select the type of contact i.e. Phone, SIM or Google. I select Google and create a contact. Now is the Google database automatically updated or do I manually need to update my Google contacts (do I need to enable some option for this or click any button?)
Old 16th April 2013, 22:31   #14557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Partha, have a look at speedmod kernel. It is available here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2181599

This works with the stock jellybean rom. Battery lasts longer and project butter really feels like butter. PM me if you need any help.
Thats an impressive battery life. I earlier had this installed during my Paranoid Android days.

Currently have the Philz kernel installed. So how do I change the kernels? Do I just flash using ODIN or need to do something else? Im bit confused with the procedure

Thanks for all your help.
Old 16th April 2013, 23:32   #14558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I lost all my data and had to reinstall all my apps again. Can someone please tell me how to take back up of everything so that next time this happens, at least my data is secured.
Look at Carbon if you are not rooted or Titanium Backup if you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Another important thing – suppose I create a new contact – I am asked to select the type of contact i.e. Phone, SIM or Google. I select Google and create a contact. Now is the Google database automatically updated or do I manually need to update my Google contacts (do I need to enable some option for this or click any button?)
It should sync up with Google contacts automatically. Whenever you wipe your phone again, contacts should be downloaded when you add the Google account.
Old 17th April 2013, 03:10   #14559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Thats an impressive battery life. I earlier had this installed during my Paranoid Android days.

Currently have the Philz kernel installed. So how do I change the kernels? Do I just flash using ODIN or need to do something else? Im bit confused with the procedure

Thanks for all your help.
I do not install kernels one on top of the another. Safest way would be to:
1. Install stock jellybean.
2. Wipe cache and factory reset.
3. Install root acess a.k.a super user su
4. Download ROM manager from market and reboot into clockwork mod.
5. Install update from zip file and select the speedmod kernel.
6. Reboot and clear cache.

It might be a bit long, but its safe.
Old 17th April 2013, 08:03   #14560
BHPian

Quote:

I do not install kernels one on top of the another. Safest way would be to:
1. Install stock jellybean.
2. Wipe cache and factory reset.
I wish I had waited for the instructions. Instwad I got a triangle now and will need to get that removed. The new triangle away app is costing 149rs.

Any other way to get rid of that?
Old 17th April 2013, 09:20   #14561
BHPian

Quote:

I wish I had waited for the instructions. Instwad I got a triangle now and will need to get that removed. The new triangle away app is costing 149rs.

Any other way to get rid of that?
Try downloading the stock firmware and flashing it using odin. The triangle may go away. If you have very less days of samsung India warranty, you could carry on with the triangle.

IMHO, don worry about the 149 rupees, worst things could have happened. Even if the kernel says its safe, its always better to do from Step1.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:29   #14562
BHPian

Quote:

Try downloading the stock firmware and flashing it using odin. The triangle may go away. If you have very less days of samsung India warranty, you could carry on with the triangle.

IMHO, don worry about the 149 rupees, worst things could have happened. Even if the kernel says its safe, its always better to do from Step1.
Ah then its best to get the triangle away app. I had the apk earlier but now my harddisk also failed. A bad bad day for me.

IMO i dont think by flashing stock OS the triangle will go away :(
Old 17th April 2013, 09:46   #14563
Senior - BHPian

Team,

whats the latest news on Nexus 4 INDIA launch ?

Speaking of battery life, here is what i got with my Galaxy Nexus on PA 3+ and Franco Kernel.

It used to last for 12 hrs at the max on 3G, now I am getting regularly 20-22 hrs with 3G on full time.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-905781_4071060435436_131719304_o.jpg  

Old 17th April 2013, 10:38   #14564
BHPian

Quote:
Ah then its best to get the triangle away app. I had the apk earlier but now my harddisk also failed. A bad bad day for me.

IMO i dont think by flashing stock OS the triangle will go away :(
Philz Kernel comes with the latest CWM recovery. You could have flashed speedmod through CWM directly instead of Odin.

Anyway now you have to use triangle away and there's no other option. The triangle will NOT go away by flashing stock ROM. It signifies the binary counter which would have changed from 0 to 1. So Triangle away it is for you!

Btw I did not find any significant improvement with Speedmod over Philz kernel. In fact speedmod has a very old version of CWM and also internal and external SD cards are swapped with that kernel.

I am on Varun's Superb DDLSC with mods like Ink effect, call recording and S4 status bar with 23 toggles. I am getting a battery life of about 20 hours with ~ 3 hours screen time. I am perfectly happy!

Last edited by Added_flavor : 17th April 2013 at 10:44.
Old 17th April 2013, 10:42   #14565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

Philz Kernel comes with the latest CWM recovery. You could have flashed speedmod through CWM directly instead of Odin.

Anyway now you have to use triangle away and there's no other option. The triangle will NOT go away by flashing stock ROM. It signifies the binary counter which would have changed from 0 to 1. So Triangle away it is for you!
Yes I tried to flash the kernel via cwm recovery. I got the error "signature verification failed". Thats when i shifted to ODIN method.

Yes will download the triangleaway sometime soon. I hope that there wont be any problem without resetting the binary counter?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks