Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 10:47   #14566
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Yes I tried to flash the kernel via cwm recovery. I got the error "signature verification failed". Thats when i shifted to ODIN method.

Yes will download the triangleaway sometime soon. I hope that there wont be any problem without resetting the binary counter?

Thanks.
Signature verification fails when it's a bad download buddy.

There's no problem except for the flashy yellow triangle on boot and it is an evident sign to Samsung that you did something illegal with your phone should you have to go to the service centre.
Old 17th April 2013, 10:58   #14567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
One important thing – I want an app where I can read business/finance news in a friendly format. I have seen the apps of TOI and ET but just wanted to know if there is any other app which is better in terms of performance and quality of news flow. Of course free apps would be preferred.
Install "Google Currents", it is gem of a reader. After instalaltion, just add WSJ / FT / ET etc

Quote:
Another important thing – suppose I create a new contact – I am asked to select the type of contact i.e. Phone, SIM or Google. I select Google and create a contact. Now is the Google database automatically updated or do I manually need to update my Google contacts (do I need to enable some option for this or click any button?)
It happens automatically. To test, add a new contact and check that contact in Gmail after an hour.
Old 17th April 2013, 10:59   #14568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

Signature verification fails when it's a bad download buddy.

There's no problem except for the flashy yellow triangle on boot and it is an evident sign to Samsung that you did something illegal with your phone should you have to go to the service centre.
Lol that sounds funny. Something illegal. I just rooted my phone. :P

Ah i shouldve realised about the bad download part. Argh. Will search for the triangle away.apk that I had earlier or download the latest version.

Thanks for your suggestions mate.
Old 17th April 2013, 11:17   #14569
BANNED

Quote:
Lol that sounds funny. Something illegal. I just rooted my phone. :P
I think the vast majority of us Android users are in the same boat! Even htc is now accepting this practice by allowing an 'official' way of unlocking the bootloader. Unlocking, jailbreaking, whatever the name is happens to be very popular!
Old 17th April 2013, 11:38   #14570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I lost all my data and had to reinstall all my apps again. Can someone please tell me how to take back up of everything so that next time this happens, at least my data is secured.
Check in settings if you see sCloud if yes then sign in to Samsung account and enable sync it will back up all data including Contacts , Calander, Call logs , SMS , MMS , Settings etc.

About Google Sync there is no need to do manual update , Google will sync only contacts and not the entries in sCal
Old 17th April 2013, 13:08   #14571
BHPian

Google Nexus owners thread

Tried to find a thread about this but couldn't, so made a new one.

For those who don't know about Nexus devices:

Quote:
Google Nexus is a line of mobile devices using the Android operating system produced by Google in conjunction with an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) partner. Devices in the Nexus series do not have manufacturer or wireless carrier modifications to Android (such as custom graphical user interfaces), and have an unlockable bootloader to allow further development and end-user modification. Nexus devices are the first Android devices to receive updates to the operating system.
I myself own a Galaxy Nexus that I have been using since March 2012. It was my first Nexus device. I am still in love with it and don't intend to replace it anytime soon. The experience is such that I probably won't be moving from the Nexus line in the near future.

I am creating this thread for any Nexus related discussions from any owner or potential owner.

A few pics of my Galaxy Nexus:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0334.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0344.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0434.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0464.jpg

The accessories I have for my Galaxy Nexus:
  • SGP Ultra Oleophobic Screen Protector
  • SGP Ultra Hybrid Case
  • Seidio ACtive with kickstand case
  • Cruzerlite Androidified A2 Blue case
  • Cruzerlite Blue DNA case
  • Cruzerlite Androidcam case
  • Cruzerlite camo case
  • Cruzerlite "Lucky" case
  • Cruzerlite Argyle case
  • Podprops smartphone stand
  • Tags for Droid NFC Tags

I know that is a lot , but I review such things on my blog, so got the stand and the NFC tags for review from the respective companies.
A few pics of the accessories:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20130214_134628.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0468.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0372.jpg
Old 17th April 2013, 15:53   #14572
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Google Nexus owners thread

Those are some really cool looking cases. Where did you purchase them from?
Old 17th April 2013, 17:00   #14573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Those are some really cool looking cases. Where did you purchase them from?
SGP one from the SGP website, the CruzerLite ones from.their website and the Seidio I won from androidcentral.com
Old 17th April 2013, 20:05   #14574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post

IMHO, don worry about the 149 rupees, worst things could have happened. Even if the kernel says its safe, its always better to do from Step1.
Quote:

There's no problem except for the flashy yellow triangle on boot and it is an evident sign to Samsung that you did something illegal with your phone should you have to go to the service centre
Thanks guys, finally relief. Got the triangle away app and now the triangle is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think the vast majority of us Android users are in the same boat! Even htc is now accepting this practice by allowing an 'official' way of unlocking the bootloader. Unlocking, jailbreaking, whatever the name is happens to be very popular!
Indeed sir. Samsung is selling millions of phones and most of the people Ive seen are using the stock rom. Only a handful of us are rooting let alone modifying. So I really find it funny when its termed "illegal" as we arent doing anything like that.
Old 17th April 2013, 22:37   #14575
BHPian

It has just been a day on Jelly Bean on my samsung galaxy s2. The battery lasted for 24 hours will some heavy usage. This is pretty much what I had been getting on ICS - probably somewhat better.
Old 18th April 2013, 00:06   #14576
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks guys, finally relief. Got the triangle away app and now the triangle is gone.

Indeed sir. Samsung is selling millions of phones and most of the people Ive seen are using the stock rom. Only a handful of us are rooting let alone modifying. So I really find it funny when its termed "illegal" as we arent doing anything like that.
I think there's a strong reason why it is not acceptable to the companies. Can you imagine every android phone user having root access, trying to flash stuff with half baked information, ending with bricks and swarming the service centres claiming warranty?
Old 18th April 2013, 07:22   #14577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think there's a strong reason why it is not acceptable to the companies. Can you imagine every android phone user having root access, trying to flash stuff with half baked information, ending with bricks and swarming the service centres claiming warranty?
I think its overblown nonsense.

Companies like HTC allow you to do as you deem fit - you can unlock the bootloader, a painful 15-20 step procedure. The firmware has certain NAND memory settings that once unlocked, even if u relock it, it says RELOCKED and not LOCKED. So technology allows them to satisfy user requirements.

Lastly, its like a car - I bought a device, paid a fat bundle to use it. Now it is my darned wish to tune the ECU, swap out the suspension or chop the boot if I so deem fit.

This is not USA where the contract stipulations can be bypassed (some try to charge for tethering access etc), and hence rooting a contract phone is illegal. Hence illegal is not really valid in India.
Old 18th April 2013, 08:23   #14578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think its overblown nonsense.

Companies like HTC allow you to do as you deem fit - you can unlock the bootloader, a painful 15-20 step procedure. The firmware has certain NAND memory settings that once unlocked, even if u relock it, it says RELOCKED and not LOCKED. So technology allows them to satisfy user requirements.

Lastly, its like a car - I bought a device, paid a fat bundle to use it. Now it is my darned wish to tune the ECU, swap out the suspension or chop the boot if I so deem fit.

This is not USA where the contract stipulations can be bypassed (some try to charge for tethering access etc), and hence rooting a contract phone is illegal. Hence illegal is not really valid in India.
But car companies also void warranty if ECU is remapped or even a wire is cut for audio system.

Point is about limiting liability what if you flash a custom kernel which has socket hooks to send your data to another server? If company does not deny warranty then technically and legally it needs to own up consequences of unknown software.
Old 18th April 2013, 09:32   #14579
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
One issue with an htc Bootloader Unlock - it will not allow you to run .zip files. Of course no big issue since most of us run the CWM Recovery. However, this Recoverywill have to be force loaded and does not install by itself, so must be forced in through the fastboot recovery <filename> route. When the old AlphaRevX or Revolutionary routes was on this was not an issue.
Old 18th April 2013, 09:47   #14580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One issue with an htc Bootloader Unlock - it will not allow you to run .zip files. Of course no big issue since most of us run the CWM Recovery. However, this Recoverywill have to be force loaded and does not install by itself, so must be forced in through the fastboot recovery <filename> route. When the old AlphaRevX or Revolutionary routes was on this was not an issue.
Not just this. It depends whether the device is s-on or s-off. S-off devices can flash the Rom through recovery but s-on devices need to take the fastboot route

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks