Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 18:04   #14716
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How is the HTC ONE better than S4?
For starters -
- The Design of the One is superior and gives a more premium feeling in hand. It looks and feel like a expensive product.
- The display of both are incredible but the One has the advantage of better viewing angle and more brightness leading to better readability in sunlight. It is definitely the most superior display on any phone as on date.
- The user interface (Sense 5.0) of One is more superior to the Touchwiz of the Samsung
- Don't go by megapixels but the camera on the One is superior and path breaking for a phone. The HTC One bucks the shortsighted trend toward more megapixels with an innovative sensor, image processor and lens that effectively form the UltraPixels setup.
- Speakers and call quality are superior on the One
- IR blaster remote on the One

Not to say that the One doesn't have any flaws -
- No expandable memory slot
- Non removable battery

PS - Engadget has spied upon a HTC ONE 'chinese' version with a dual sim slot and expandable memory. Now isn't that icing on the cake - http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/h...na-back-cover/

Last edited by dkaile : 26th April 2013 at 18:11.
Old 26th April 2013, 18:07   #14717
BANNED

Quote:
How is the HTC ONE better than S4? Any significant advantages apart from the looks and build quality?
These already are significant advantages.

The One also has a slightly smaller screen so easier to hold. The Camera performs much better in all conditions, especially Low-Light. The LoudSpeaker and the Microphone is also state of the art in the One.

The only thing missing is the Phone itself from the store shelves in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
For starters -
- The Design of the One is superior and gives a more premium feeling in hand. It looks and feel like a expensive product.
- The display of both are incredible but the One has the advantage of better viewing angle and more brightness leading to better readability in sunlight. It is definitely the most superior display on any phone as on date.
The Display is great, but the brightness would be below the Super AMOLED screen of the S4(at least theoretically, that is the implication)

The IR blaster is present on the S4 also, and it also comes with Samsung's own app+ Peel app to use the IR

Last edited by agambhandari : 26th April 2013 at 18:10.
Old 26th April 2013, 18:18   #14718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
For starters -
- The user interface (Sense 5.0) of One is more superior to the Touchwiz of the Samsung
- Don't go by megapixels but the camera on the One is superior and path breaking for a phone. The HTC One bucks the shortsighted trend toward more megapixels with an innovative sensor, image processor and lens that effectively form the UltraPixels setup.
- Speakers and call quality are superior on the One

Not to say that the One doesn't have any flaws -
- No expandable memory slot
- Non removable battery

PS - Engadget has spied upon a HTC ONE 'chinese' version with a dual sim slot and expandable memory. Now isn't that icing on the cake - http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/h...na-back-cover/
To play devil's advocate here, S4 has some more advantages:
1. More accessories, esp the new S cover is cool
2. Its cheaper than One in India
3. Bigger battery with longer backup in standby.
4. Much much better resale value than HTC.

for me the biggest issue with S4 is it looks just like 50 other galaxies out there including the ones that cost 15k only. I wouldnt spend 40k on a phone that cannot be distinguished from the plethora of other cheap devices. Whats the point of spending so much money otherwise? You can pretty much buy a very very competent quad core phone for less than 15k (that has all the features S4 has) so whats the point of buying S4?
Old 26th April 2013, 18:25   #14719
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You can pretty much buy a very very competent quad core phone for less than 15k (that has all the features S4 has) so whats the point of buying S4?
The point is to buy a phone that has a real A.S.S. backing it up, making sure that it doesn't go bust after 6 months!
and frankly Don't compare the MMX A116 and the S4.......Just to give you an example. The Low power processor(in the Octa-Core chipset) is the same as the only processor on the A116.
Old 26th April 2013, 18:48   #14720
BHPian

Quote:
for me the biggest issue with S4 is it looks just like 50 other galaxies out there including the ones that cost 15k only. I wouldnt spend 40k on a phone that cannot be distinguished from the plethora of other cheap devices. Whats the point of spending so much money otherwise? You can pretty much buy a very very competent quad core phone for less than 15k (that has all the features S4 has) so whats the point of buying S4?
That is something Samsung must take into account atleast while designing future products. I use a galaxy S3 and 3 out of 5 people who see my phone ask me whether it is the Grand and I will have to confirm it to be not the latter.
Old 26th April 2013, 18:49   #14721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
After exactly 24 hours of similar usage, I am at 52%. I think your battery life not just great, but superb! One last question, when you say 3G internet for 15 minutes, do you switch mobile data OFF after using or mobile data is ON all the time? On a side note, saw a show case full of S4's in a Samsumg store near my work place around 1PM. Not so excited it though!
My phone is around the same level after 24 hours of moderate usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
R2D2

Did you do the OTA upgrade (~30 MB IIRC) which was released last week? Only after this upgrade, the battery life has gone bonkers, in the right sense.

I totally agree with you regarding the build quality of Samsung phones, especially the rear body covers. The plastic can't get any thinner than this I think. At 35k+ cost, the Note 2 deserved a super sturdy case ideally. I already have faded patches on the rear cover of the phone, where the body touches any surface. Good that I replaced the OE cover with the Flipcover. I can afford to replace the flipcover once a year.

I am a big fan of the Lumia 920 in this respect. Amazing build quality I must say. Even the iPhone 4S has better build quality than the Note 2 IMO.

Regarding S4, Samsung is launching the ultra-fast OCTA core version in India. Man, my Note 2 itself is lightning fast, I cannot imagine what those 8 cores can achieve.

If the S4 has Octa core version imagine the Note 3

Yes, I got the update dated 27th March. I really wish I could see a change log though. 11 hours after pulling it off the charger it is @ 65%, this is with moderate to heavy use of 3G Internet (mail checks on multiple accounts every 15 minutes, chatting on WhatsApp, app automatic updates etc), phone calls, SMSes, & generally messing around with the phone trying out new HD widgets and desktop wallpapers.

Aftering using the Motorola Razr and the IP4s with their superb build and quality of construction, getting used to the Sammy's plastic body took time. But the plastic shell has stopped bothering me. As long as it lasts me 1-2 years it is ok coz I will certainly upgrade in that timeframe. I am a bit careful about where I place the phone and make sure I don't scrape it on surfaces whilst picking it up. Just a bit of TLC for what is my favourite phone of all time. Believe me I have used scores of handsets and different brands since 1999-2000 - Nokia, HTC, Panasonic, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Apple and now Samsung.

Now I am accustomed to the giant screen and great performance. Hate to use my wife's SGS3 forget an iPhone.

And as amitk26 rightly points out updates and support from Samsung and 3rd party ROM makers are important too. Which is where Sammy hits it out of the stadium.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th April 2013 at 18:51.
Old 26th April 2013, 18:56   #14722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
That is something Samsung must take into account atleast while designing future products. I use a galaxy S3 and 3 out of 5 people who see my phone ask me whether it is the Grand and I will have to confirm it to be not the latter.
So you buy phones for perceived status of owning it rather than the utility. Personally I don't care if I carry a brick as long as it lets me do my work (check emails, set alerts, protect sensitive data etc) exactly as I expect it to do.

I think ever since iPhone changed the market, every phone is beginning to look exactly the same.
Old 26th April 2013, 19:05   #14723
Distinguished - BHPian

To monitor battery and generate related stats I recommend this amazing app - Battery Widget Reborn.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...WJvcm4ucHJvIl0.
Old 26th April 2013, 19:31   #14724
Senior - BHPian

HTC One - GSM + CDMA dual sim will get launched in India by July End - Confirmed from Reliable Sources
Old 26th April 2013, 19:35   #14725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
To monitor battery and generate related stats I recommend this amazing app - Battery Widget Reborn.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...WJvcm4ucHJvIl0.
+10, Have been using it in my GT-I9070 for the past two months and the battery drops in the night are hugely reduced as we can select what needs to be switched ON and OFF along with automatic timed change of modes
Old 26th April 2013, 19:47   #14726
BHPian

Quote:
How is the HTC ONE better than S4? Any significant advantages apart from the looks and build quality?
In my view, LTE support, which HTC One has, is a significant advantage. LTE will be quite available in next 1 year or 1.5 years, so better have it now. I, for one, don't believe in spending a bomb everytime a new model is launched.

Last edited by Tats07 : 26th April 2013 at 19:48.
Old 26th April 2013, 19:57   #14727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The point is to buy a phone that has a real A.S.S. backing it up, making sure that it doesn't go bust after 6 months!
and frankly Don't compare the MMX A116 and the S4.......Just to give you an example. The Low power processor(in the Octa-Core chipset) is the same as the only processor on the A116.
So is there anything that S4 only can do that Canvas hd cant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
So you buy phones for perceived status of owning it rather than the utility. Personally I don't care if I carry a brick as long as it lets me do my work (check emails, set alerts, protect sensitive data etc) exactly as I expect it to do.

I think ever since iPhone changed the market, every phone is beginning to look exactly the same.
Yes sir, if I am spending 40k then looks is paramount criterion for me, because frankly nothing else matters. Hardware on all devices around that range is quite awesome and software features can be augmented from Play store. What else is there to differentiate? As far as utility criteria goes even phones costing 10k are enough for all our needs. To give an analogy from our auto world, most people buy luxury cars for perceived status associated with it rather than utility factors. Just have a look at VW Touareg and Audi Q7 sales. Yes, 40k on a phone for me is luxury spending.

And OEMs like Sony, LG, HTC, Asus are trying to experiment with materials, design, build quality etc. Its good to see that. You cannot really say every phone looks the same. Sony XZ has a very distinct identity, so does N4 or HTC One. You cannot say they look like any other handset out there.

Last edited by joslicx : 26th April 2013 at 20:03.
Old 26th April 2013, 22:25   #14728
BHPian

Quote:

If all the consumers are of the mindset that you stated above, then all the flagship gadgets which normally comes with a skimming price policy must have become flops. It is only because of the so called 'perceived status ' and the brand conscious customers that these flagships succeed.
When I am spending 30k+ for a SGS3 it must have something over and above the rest to differentiate itself from the crowd. Else why should I pay a premium of 10k over the Galaxy Grand ?
Old 26th April 2013, 22:37   #14729
Senior - BHPian

Grand is lower spec'ed, but I see your point. Joslicx gave a good analogy. I just didn't think phones could be flaunted as often as cars. My phones spend most of their time in belt case while connected to the headset.
Old 26th April 2013, 23:12   #14730
BHPian

Quote:
Grand is lower spec'ed, but I see your point. Joslicx gave a good analogy. I just didn't think phones could be flaunted as often as cars. My phones spend most of their time in belt case while connected to the headset.
Feels good to be part of a healthy debate.
High End gadgets have become something to flaunt about(tech geeks not included), at-least among people whom I see everyday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks