Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 17:42   #14806
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Agreed S3 and Grand are 2 different products. Amoled screens have yellowish tinge which make them look different from LCDs. They remind me on movie mode in TV's. LCDs felt more realistic with the colors. In direct sunlight max brightness is needed in majority of the mobiles to see anything on the screen. The screen technology has come quite far now and based on the usage we have ample choice.
Yellowish tinge is due to KERNEL settings. This is can be tuned according to users choice in the kernel.

I like the AMLOED display on my Gnex. It is crisp and blacks are blacks. I am waiting to lay my hands on the HTC one to compare the screen quality in-terms of how vivid it is and how well the colors pop out.

To those who are comparing Grand's screen with S3, S3 is beyond comparison with Grand. Period !!

Last edited by F150 : 1st May 2013 at 17:44.
Old 1st May 2013, 19:59   #14807
BHPian

I think here is an android tv box device which is a very essential device for every home. It can be personal or everyone's PC at home. And a superb media player, server, etc, etc. Best feature is it can do all DLNA usages with your old or new, CRT or LCD or even projector!

Last edited by Eddy : 1st May 2013 at 20:12.
Old 1st May 2013, 20:07   #14808
Senior - BHPian

is it possible to root galaxy S2 while keeping all the software intact (kernel, OS ROM etc)?
Old 1st May 2013, 20:15   #14809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I isolated the apk from a Titanium backup, installed it, and am back to no-connection-retry square one, with Gandhi's fix not working
Remove your google account from accounts and sync, clear data and cache of playstore, add your account again. It should work I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
is it possible to root galaxy S2 while keeping all the software intact (kernel, OS ROM etc)?
Flash philz kernel that corresponds to your ROM. This is NOT a custom kernel. It's the same stock kernel with emmc_erase disabled, pre-rooted and with a new version of touch enabled cwm. This kernel can be flashed from stock recovery.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 1st May 2013 at 20:18.
Old 1st May 2013, 20:22   #14810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Remove your google account from accounts and sync, clear data and cache of playstore, add your account again. It should work I guess.
If his account is the primary account on the phone, he won't be able to remove it without factory reset.

Quote:
I isolated the apk from a Titanium backup, installed it, and am back to no-connection-retry square one, with Gandhi's fix not working
If his account is a primary account on the phone, he won't be able to remove it without factory reset.

Which play store APK did you install? Try the latest one from here - http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/04...-store-4-0-27/. It's legit, you can trust them.
Old 1st May 2013, 20:39   #14811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Yes, rooting will not affect data or the kernel or the OS.

Head over to XDA Dev to get the rooting tools for your phone and for the correct procedure. Just make sure you get the right version, or you may brick the handset.
Old 1st May 2013, 22:31   #14812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Ghandi replies why I can't do this.
Quote:
Flash philz kernel that corresponds to your ROM. This is NOT a custom kernel. It's the same stock kernel with emmc_erase disabled, pre-rooted and with a new version of touch enabled cwm. This kernel can be flashed from stock recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
If his account is the primary account on the phone, he won't be able to remove it without factory reset.
Quote:
Which play store APK did you install? Try the latest one from here - http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/04...-store-4-0-27/. It's legit, you can trust them.
Not sure: one of the ones I had on the phone backed up by Titanium.

This is a pain, and strikes at faith in Android. It is worse than Windows!

Thanks for help... all ideas welcome.
Old 1st May 2013, 22:32   #14813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2_ash View Post
I don't agree with you buddy. I am using both galaxy s3 and iphone 4s. There are friends who have HTC One x. Let me tell you, wow factor of super Amoled screens is way ahead of LCDs of the same generation. Even under direct sunlight, screen on s3 is much more usable then one x screen whether it's reading, watching media files or using camera. Only LCDs which come close are from iphone 4s and iphone 5.
Others just look washed out.
I agree LCDs have come a long way and slcd2/3 are much better then lcds of old but super Amoled screens on galaxy S2/s3 are much superior to their competitors of the same generations.
Heres quoting laptopmag regarding max brightness of HTC One LCD and Galaxy S4 AMOLED:
Quote:
The HTC One outshines the Galaxy S4 in another way: brightness. When we hit both phones with our light meter, the One registered 463 lux and the S4 mustered 296 lux, comparable to the smartphone category average of 299 lux. This brightness gap was most evident when viewing the two handsets side by side in direct sunlight; although the One suffers from some glare, the S4′s dimmer display was tougher to read.
heres the link: http://blog.laptopmag.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one
Old 2nd May 2013, 00:13   #14814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Yes, thanks... tried this: it didn't not work.*

I tried deleting the system cache (from the recovery menu): it didn't work.

This is so frustrating. Feel like throwing it away. Can't: can not possibly afford a new phone.

*Maybe I need an older version. I think I was on 3.7.15 before. Oh, If I remove the updates, the old Market does not run, but shows a browser error.
Old 2nd May 2013, 08:39   #14815
Senior - BHPian

Dear Thad,

what is the issue ? which phone are you using ? Can you not reflash the rom ?
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:01   #14816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
hi i choose a Galaxy grand over the s3. I checked both the screens side by side for a long time in different stores but did not feel any pixels in the Grand. I was really surprised to see Samsung do a good job of the WVGA resolution in a 5" screen (187 ppi). Maybe it is my eyes which cannot differentiate the pixels. But I could not feel them in Camera mode or the home screens.
It's not only your eyes friend I too had the same feeling when I had a look at the scren of Grand. On the other topic of SAMOLED vs S-LCD whites are perfect on S-LCD while the same is a tint of grey on SAMOLED. But the contrast and pop-out factors of SAMOLED brings that Wow factor to it. For those who have a feeling that SAMOLED doesn't produce natural colors, just try out the "Screen Mode" menu and put it to "Natural". This makes a huge difference. In a nut shell, if you want better whites, S-LCD is the way and if you want the perfect contrast and pop out colors, SAMOLED still wins. Also, I too felt that S-LCD are much better than those pen-tile AMOLED's out there. The color tints on pen tile is just not worth it.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 2nd May 2013 at 09:07.
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:41   #14817
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, thanks... tried this: it didn't not work.*

I tried deleting the system cache (from the recovery menu): it didn't work.

This is so frustrating. Feel like throwing it away. Can't: can not possibly afford a new phone.

*Maybe I need an older version. I think I was on 3.7.15 before. Oh, If I remove the updates, the old Market does not run, but shows a browser error.
Have you tried going to app manager & uninstalling the play store update? I guess it should be avaiable there.
Also clearing cache along with data might help there.

Else fash a new custom ROM, its Defy

Edit: Sorry for giving tried & not working solutions. I guess, try different ROM

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 2nd May 2013 at 09:53.
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:51   #14818
BHPian

Won't flashing the latest gapps package fix this problem?
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:42   #14819
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I finally updated by LG 4X HD to JB 4.1.2.

The experience so far is good. The only issue i face is the abnormal battery drain. The battery life has gone from bad to worse. I leave home in morning around 10 am with 100% battery and by evening 6 pm i am at around 30%.

Also, i got the new Play Store. The strange part is, my Samsung Tab 2 and LG 4X HD i got the new play store and my wife uses a Samsung Galaxy S Advance and that too got the JB 4.1.2 update but is still on old Play store.

Some pics attached.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130502113332.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130502113418.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130502113440.jpg

Regards,
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:50   #14820
BHPian

Quote:
Edit Expired...

From Bad to worse... I uninstalled Google Play updates and now I don't have any Google Play at all, and Titanium is not offering it as a restore. I suppose I have to search out an apk and install it.
You might be able to find it as "Android Market" instead of Play Store. Happened to me once when I had uninstalled the updates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks