Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 08:09   #14926
BHPian

Hey guys, did everyone get the play store updated to the new v4? I'm still stuck on v3.10.14.

Why is my play store not updating?

I tried clearing data and cache for the play store and play store services, no luck so far.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:54   #14927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey guys, did everyone get the play store updated to the new v4? I'm still stuck on v3.10.14.

Why is my play store not updating?

I tried clearing data and cache for the play store and play store services, no luck so far.
Are you using any custom launcher?

I Was on Go launcher for a while and I was not getting the new play store update. The moment I switched to Samsung stock launcher and opened Play store I got the update. But could even be a coincidence.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:19   #14928
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Try out Avast as an all-in-one freeware. Have tried a lot and settled on this one
As per Engadget, installed Lookout and it seems to do its job. Will give Avast a try too.
Old 10th May 2013, 11:32   #14929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Are you using any custom launcher?

I Was on Go launcher for a while and I was not getting the new play store update. The moment I switched to Samsung stock launcher and opened Play store I got the update. But could even be a coincidence.
Nope, not using any custom launcher.

I'm rooted and running CM 9.1.

A couple of friends running CM 7.2 have received the updates, so I don't think that's the issue.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:46   #14930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
What security, antivirus software is recommended to be used. Will it be a battery hog?
I use AVG. Pretty neat. Never had a problem so far - more than an year now. Its hard to say which anti app is better as we normally do not come across virus attacks on phones.

To me - Atleast this one doesn't have any irritating notifications and cheap tactics to show that it is working great etc. So recommended.

Last edited by vigneshnr : 10th May 2013 at 20:47.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:48   #14931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
On my wife’s Note 2, we are experiencing WiFi connection problem. Even with just a couple of meters away from the WiFi router, it gives the message 'Network disabled. Poor Connection'. Initially thought it was a problem with the WiFi router, but then my iPhone was showing full signal.
Any comments/suggestions?
Hi, can someone please help with this?
Old 10th May 2013, 21:13   #14932
BHPian

Quote:
Get your phone changed.
Samsung have known quality control issues
Old 10th May 2013, 21:26   #14933
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, this is a very vague question. WiFi connection is a combination of factors. The following May be the cause of the problem:
> Some problem with the WiFi configuration.
There are many configurations which may cause problems. Check if any other Android mobile is able to connect to this network.if other Android mobiles are able to connect properly, download the speed test app and check if you are getting the intended speeds of upload and download.
> Try connecting the mobile to other WiFi network at your friends place or office.
> if another note 2 is able to connect to the network and not yours, then check if any app is creating a problem to the WiFi.
> lastly, check for any software updates and factory reset the phone.
If all of this does not work, go to the Samsung authorized service station.
Old 10th May 2013, 21:27   #14934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Get your phone changed.
Samsung have known quality control issues
Thanks, that really helps!
But I probably will wait for some better responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Firstly, this is a very vague question. WiFi connection is a combination of factors. The following May be the cause of the problem:
> Some problem with the WiFi configuration.
There are many configurations which may cause problems. Check if any other Android mobile is able to connect to this network.if other Android mobiles are able to connect properly, download the speed test app and check if you are getting the intended speeds of upload and download.
> Try connecting the mobile to other WiFi network at your friends place or office.
> if another note 2 is able to connect to the network and not yours, then check if any app is creating a problem to the WiFi.
> lastly, check for any software updates and factory reset the phone.
If all of this does not work, go to the Samsung authorized service station.
Thanks for the suggestions. The WiFi should not have any problem as I am able to connect my laptops and other phones (iPhone and HTC HD7). I will try downloading the speed test app, and also try to hook this phone to other WiFi networks.

You mentioned some apps can create problems to the WiFi. Any examples?
Thanks again!

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th May 2013 at 21:42. Reason: Additional quote included
Old 10th May 2013, 21:59   #14935
BANNED

Quote:
I know you may theoretically claim "How can this work?" But try changing the channel of your Wi-Fi network on your router.

Also try connecting to another Wi-Fi network, also some unsecured ones, if available and see the changes.
Old 11th May 2013, 00:49   #14936
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, that really helps!

Thanks again!
Well, is your phone in some case or cover? Some cheap cases pose a lot of problem in wifi connectivity.
Old 11th May 2013, 01:14   #14937
Distinguished - BHPian

My phone's WIFI ( S2) has suddenly started acting weird. It was working fine till date. I recently changed my internet conenction and got a new bsnl connection. Now my phone refuses to connect to it over wifi. My laptop is working fine on it. The phone keeps showing " obtaining ip address" and then just fails to do anything. Any solutions for the same?
Old 11th May 2013, 01:43   #14938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
They are account specific.
Whichever device you link yup your account will have them
Thank you SG.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. The WiFi should not have any problem as I am able to connect my laptops and other phones (iPhone and HTC HD7). I will try downloading the speed test app, and also try to hook this phone to other WiFi networks.

Thanks again!
I've been having the same issue with my Micromax A89. It was working fine till last weekend and gave up during the weekend. The laptop works pretty fine. When I check the status of wi-fi connection in settings, it shows 'Obtaining IP address' forever. Will wait for further responses on this thread.
Old 11th May 2013, 07:48   #14939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I know you may theoretically claim "How can this work?" But try changing the channel of your Wi-Fi network on your router.
Also try connecting to another Wi-Fi network, also some unsecured ones, if available and see the changes.
Thanks, will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
Well, is your phone in some case or cover? Some cheap cases pose a lot of problem in wifi connectivity.
The phone does have a flip-case. Tried connection after removing that. No difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My phone's WIFI ( S2) has suddenly started acting weird. It was working fine till date. I recently changed my internet conenction and got a new bsnl connection. Now my phone refuses to connect to it over wifi. My laptop is working fine on it. The phone keeps showing " obtaining ip address" and then just fails to do anything. Any solutions for the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I've been having the same issue with my Micromax A89. It was working fine till last weekend and gave up during the weekend. The laptop works pretty fine. When I check the status of wi-fi connection in settings, it shows 'Obtaining IP address' forever. Will wait for further responses on this thread.
Attached is the sequence. I checked around online, and some says that the issue happened with Jellybean 4.1.2 update. I am thinking to take the phone to Samsung service centre today to check.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-note-2-wifi.jpg  

Old 11th May 2013, 07:57   #14940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attached is the sequence. I checked around online, and some says that the issue happened with Jellybean 4.1.2 update. I am thinking to take the phone to Samsung service centre today to check.
Bingo. This is exactly whats happening. But I updated my phone to 4.1.2 quite a while back. And the Wifi was working fine till now ( was using a friend's wifi till now). The problem seems to have cropped up only with this new bsnl connection that I got 2 days back. Will check if it can connect to someother wifi network today.

Most Viewed