Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2013, 16:37   #14956
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Got an urgent query.
My BB torch 9810 has been a nuisance off late so need a new smartphone.
I wanna try android for the first time so after a lot of research had zeroed on Sony Xperia Sp.

What i wanna know is anyone here uses that phone and can give me advice on pros and cons?
Also, is there any other better option in 25k range?
AFAIK you can get the S3 in that price range now. Why don't you go Samsung? I've been using it since quite a while now, rooted it with the CM stable rom and nothing comes close to it in terms of performance and battery life. The screen estate you get with it is awesome!
Old 13th May 2013, 17:04   #14957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post

AFAIK you can get the S3 in that price range now. Why don't you go Samsung? I've been using it since quite a while now, rooted it with the CM stable rom and nothing comes close to it in terms of performance and battery life. The screen estate you get with it is awesome!
Yeah I agree. Only downside is 1 gb ram
Old 13th May 2013, 17:19   #14958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't like the design of S3. Plus its an old release. true, its a great phone but i wanna buy something which is recent released.
Old 13th May 2013, 17:42   #14959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't like the design of S3. Plus its an old release. true, its a great phone but i wanna buy something which is recent released.
How about HTC One X? Its a great phone and the price seems to be in your range. Flipkart lists it for 26.5k, so the street price could be 1-2k lower easily.

http://www.flipkart.com/htc-one-x-s7...1-47012ffe3369

If you are not scared of Micromax (I am a bit), then Canvas HD is an excellent value proposition at 14,999/-

http://www.flipkart.com/micromax-can...2-be3878464ccb
Old 13th May 2013, 19:04   #14960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can look at Sony Xperia SP or wait for the impending Xperia ZR that is also water/dust proof. Both are 4.6" 720p screen and should cost around 24-25k.
Old 13th May 2013, 19:13   #14961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
So just fix your phone(by going in Wi-Fi advanced settings) at something like 192.168.1.40(say), DHCP might be the culprit.
Hey fixed the issue today. It was the DHCP which was disabled. I enabled it and the phone connected in a second. So ideally DHCP should be enabled right?
Old 13th May 2013, 19:54   #14962
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey fixed the issue today. It was the DHCP which was disabled. I enabled it and the phone connected in a second. So ideally DHCP should be enabled right?
Yes, DHCP should be enabled on the router if you want to connect all the devices easily, without configuring them first(assign IP addresses).

So the issue is fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You can look at Sony Xperia SP or wait for the impending Xperia ZR that is also water/dust proof. Both are 4.6" 720p screen and should cost around 24-25k.
Xperia ZR is by all means just a shrunken Xperia Z, so expect the prices near 30K , give or take a grand.
The Hardware is much better than the SP.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th May 2013 at 21:28. Reason: Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 13th May 2013, 23:59   #14963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
How about HTC One X? Its a great phone and the price seems to be in your range. Flipkart lists it for 26.5k, so the street price could be 1-2k lower easily.

http://www.flipkart.com/htc-one-x-s7...1-47012ffe3369

If you are not scared of Micromax (I am a bit), then Canvas HD is an excellent value proposition at 14,999/-

http://www.flipkart.com/micromax-can...2-be3878464ccb
Ruled out HTC One X cos of its design. Otherwise its a good phone.
And i am wary of micromax cos gifted one to dad last year which lasted only 6 months so not a good experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Yeah, SP is number 1 choice right now. ZR will be launched around 30-31k. Also launch might happen in june and i need phone by next week.

As for water/dust proof i feel these are just gimmicks. I had used more than 10 handsets till date and none has gone into water or collected any dust.
Old 14th May 2013, 01:39   #14964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I've been having the same issue with my Micromax A89. It was working fine till last weekend and gave up during the weekend. The laptop works pretty fine. When I check the status of wi-fi connection in settings, it shows 'Obtaining IP address' forever. Will wait for further responses on this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Attached is the sequence. I checked around online, and some says that the issue happened with Jellybean 4.1.2 update. I am thinking to take the phone to Samsung service centre today to check.
My dad was out of station for a week and returned yesterday. Out of curiosity, I asked him if he had changed the wi-fi password before going out of station, to which he replied yes and I was like . There's no problem with my phone or wi-fi router. All good as of now.
Old 14th May 2013, 08:57   #14965
BHPian

Quote:
As for water/dust proof i feel these are just gimmicks. I had used more than 10 handsets till date and none has gone into water or collected any dust.
SP is a great choice if you want a phone in that range with good battery life, but at the cost of lower specs than of current year. Also, check out if you're OK with the light show at the bottom My suggestion would be to wait for ZR prices to come down a bit in the range of 27-28k which will surely happen in 1-2 months of launch.

Regarding water proof phones, its not a gimmick. My wife's defy was a great boon after we had our kid playing around with it. After all those dirts, food materials and all accumulated on it, its just a couple of seconds job to wash it in water which was indeed a great thing to do.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:07   #14966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Yeah I agree. Only downside is 1 gb ram
Quote:
2 GB with a Qualcomm Dual core 1.5 Ghz processor and 4G LTE for the US models (easily available in our grey market). Root it and you can overclock it to 2.1 Ghz with some kernel mods. That's one helluva smartphone that can outpace the recent released phones AND give a run for their money, but sure it's a little over a year old, if that's what really matters!

Oh Btw, the S3 won smartphone of the year at the 2013 Mobile World Congress!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnsha...rtphone-award/
Old 14th May 2013, 13:38   #14967
BHPian

Quote:
Got an urgent query.
My BB torch 9810 has been a nuisance off late so need a new smartphone.
I wanna try android for the first time so after a lot of research had zeroed on Sony Xperia Sp.

What i wanna know is anyone here uses that phone and can give me advice on pros and cons?
Also, is there any other better option in 25k range?
Quote:

2 GB with a Qualcomm Dual core 1.5 Ghz processor and 4G LTE for the US models (easily available in our grey market). Root it and you can overclock it to 2.1 Ghz with some kernel mods. That's one helluva smartphone that can outpace the recent released phones AND give a run for their money, but sure it's a little over a year old, if that's what really matters!
If one is going for a grey market S3, why not just go for a Nexus 4, latest updates available (probably will get Android 4.3 within a week of launching at Google IO), insane developer support and good looks.
I use its predecessor, the Galaxy Nexus (for 1 year now), and loving it still, don't feel any need to upgrade. The Nexus 4 has an S4 Pro chip. 2 GB RAM, 4.7" screen and best off all, its a Nexus. My sister got it for around 24k in Mumbai a month ago. If you want to buy it, buy it now as prices are bound to increase once IO is done as it happened to the Galaxy Nexus when Google announced 4.2

Last edited by nipcarlover : 14th May 2013 at 13:48.
Old 14th May 2013, 15:10   #14968
BHPian

Guys: did anyone get their phone from indiatimes shopping? I order my Xperia Z on 9th and was supposed to be shipped on 13th and till now nothing and customer service has created an escalation ticket which says "resolution by 30th may".

Should I just cancel it ?
Old 14th May 2013, 15:50   #14969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Guys: did anyone get their phone from indiatimes shopping? I order my Xperia Z on 9th and was supposed to be shipped on 13th and till now nothing and customer service has created an escalation ticket which says "resolution by 30th may".

Hi man, I too have ordered an S4 from them after you ordered your Z. There was no news till yesterday but today I can see an AWB number. There are lot of negative reviews about them everywhere. I don't think you should wait for 30th. I tried multiple times to chat with them. Even though the response is not so good, I feel like what they say is genuine. Now fingers crossed.
Old 14th May 2013, 15:57   #14970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp maniac View Post
Hi man, I too have ordered an S4 from them after you ordered your Z. There was no news till yesterday but today I can see an AWB number. There are lot of negative reviews about them everywhere. I don't think you should wait for 30th. I tried multiple times to chat with them. Even though the response is not so good, I feel like what they say is genuine. Now fingers crossed.
Indiatimes are known for their infamous customer care with imbecile answers which will make your blood boil. Better stay away from these frauds. I had a tough time to get my last purchase to get delivered which was not less than 7 years. Try to deal with other reputed sites like flipkart, ebay, shopclues, tradus etc. Most of these have money back guarantee in case you are not satisfied with the item with a genuine reason.

Last edited by sajjt : 14th May 2013 at 16:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks