Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2013, 11:44   #14986
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Samsung have known quality control issues. When you return a phone to them, they also assume it's a hardware problem, so they change the main board.

In my experience, official service centers don't fix components. They replace them, so if a component on the main board it's damaged, they will replace the main board
I am quite ok with that approach, provided the phone works well after the fix. I am not really concerned about how they fix the issue – whether by fixing a component, or by replacing the main board.

Hope it runs without any issue from now, and I don’t need to visit the service centre again
Old 15th May 2013, 12:11   #14987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I got a message and mail this morning stating that the product is shipped. Let's see if the courier details get reflected correctly after some time. But I have had tracking issues with Bluedart where the AWB number was correct was showing incorrect in their website. However, all such shipments got delivered within the expected dates. First flight normally gives you correct status is what I understand.
Lucky you No luck for me yet.
Old 15th May 2013, 12:25   #14988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Was this covered under warranty? As per my observation over a year or so, I see that Samsung service guys tend to play safe and change the whole motherboard, instead of going to the root of the issue. 3 of my friend's had their Samsung handset's motherboard changed for various reasons.
Is it like even Samsung big guns are having quality issues? Even though Samsung service is good, having such issues makes me feel why put 35-40K on a phone which does not guarantee quality. So its not only MMX/Karbon or low end phones which face quality trouble anymore.
Old 15th May 2013, 12:40   #14989
BHPian

Guys, I need help!

I updated my LG Optimus 4X HD to JB. After that the battery is draining very fast, it doesn't even last one full day. During night as well when the phone is not getting used, the battery drains fast, not sure which app is draining the most. THe battery use shows cell standby and phone idle consuming around 70% of battery. Any resolutions?
Old 15th May 2013, 12:40   #14990
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Is it like even Samsung big guns are having quality issues? Even though Samsung service is good, having such issues makes me feel why put 35-40K on a phone which does not guarantee quality. So its not only MMX/Karbon or low end phones which face quality trouble anymore.
and then you may want to ask why Mercedes is rated so low on reliability while Honda is one of the best in business! Think about it.
Old 15th May 2013, 12:45   #14991
BHPian

Quote:
Samsung have known quality control issues. When you return a phone to them, they also assume it's a hardware problem, so they change the main board.

In my experience, official service centers don't fix components. They replace them, so if a component on the main board it's damaged, they will replace the main board
Its a common practice in the hardware field to make the service ASAP as the chip level service will take time to pin point the exact component. As long as the parent company is not worried about the money involved, the service guys will replace the faulty module to close the call at the earliest. Even PCs, Laps, printers are handled like this only AFAIK. Last week my washing machine went faulty and the panel module was replaced not even trying to check out the simple components on the PCB Neither the customer would not prefer to wait for one week to get it repaired nor the technician.
Old 15th May 2013, 12:57   #14992
BHPian

I want to buy a low cost Android phone for wifey and finalised on Micromax A89. I know that battery backup is an issue, the headphones are not good & customer care is hopeless.

Apart from these, is there any other issue with A89 ? Anybody having bad experience with Micromax phones ?

Any other android phone better than A89 within 7k ?
Old 15th May 2013, 12:59   #14993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Well, yes, to some extent. But not all phones have issues. May be 1 in a million has an issue and Samsung replaces the motherboard so that the issue never comes back (hopefully). At least the service is very good and they change motherboards without much fuss. In case of MMX, the service is almost non-existent from my personal experience and you have to just throw the phone in the dustbin. I dont know if its changed now.

Having problems is not at all an issue if the manufacture accepts those and rectifies them on time without much irritation to the consumer.
Old 15th May 2013, 13:18   #14994
BHPian

Quote:

Well, yes, to some extent. But not all phones have issues. May be 1 in a million has an issue and Samsung replaces the motherboard so that the issue never comes back (hopefully). At least the service is very good and they change motherboards without much fuss. In case of MMX, the service is almost non-existent from my personal experience and you have to just throw the phone in the dustbin. I dont know if its changed now.

Having problems is not at all an issue if the manufacture accepts those and rectifies them on time without much irritation to the consumer.
It's a lot more than one in a million, but because Samsung know their quality control is not too good, they compensate with quick and comprehensive servicing.

When the SGS2 had got launched, 8 people in my office had got it apart from me.

2 had faulty screens right out of the box.
1 more developed screen issues within a month.
And the GSM radios on my phone failed after 8 months.

All the phones were promptly and comprehensively fixed. I lost mine before I could get it fixed
Old 15th May 2013, 13:47   #14995
BHPian

Quote:

It's a lot more than one in a million, but because Samsung know their quality control is not too good, they compensate with quick and comprehensive servicing.

When the SGS2 had got launched, 8 people in my office had got it apart from me.

2 had faulty screens right out of the box.
1 more developed screen issues within a month.
And the GSM radios on my phone failed after 8 months.

All the phones were promptly and comprehensively fixed. I lost mine before I could get it fixed
I have nearly 8-10 Samsung smartphones in my family ranging from original i9000 to s3 and note2. They have been used for periods ranging upto 3 years. Never had to visit Samsung service centre except maybe buying a new battery. So the quality and reliability seems pretty top notch to me.
Old 15th May 2013, 13:58   #14996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post

I have nearly 8-10 Samsung smartphones in my family ranging from original i9000 to s3 and note2. They have been used for periods ranging upto 3 years. Never had to visit Samsung service centre except maybe buying a new battery. So the quality and reliability seems pretty top notch to me.
Well I've had issues and a few people I've known have had issues, besides all the research I've done on the internet indicates that Samsung have quality control issues. Motorola and HTC have the best QC.

Though Samsung's customer care is good. Not heard of anyone having a bad experience there.

One more issue with Samsung is that they use their in house exynos processor, for which there is not much original android development. OS's are generally ported to the exynos, rather than being custom built for it.

AFAIK the Qualcomm processors are the most dev friendly.
Old 15th May 2013, 13:59   #14997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I got a message and mail this morning stating that the product is shipped. Let's see if the courier details get reflected correctly after some time. But I have had tracking issues with Bluedart where the AWB number was correct was showing incorrect in their website. However, all such shipments got delivered within the expected dates. First flight normally gives you correct status is what I understand.
Got the shipped email, the Firstflight website was not udated, called the Chennai branch with the AWB number and they confirmed that its shipped and I should get it either tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:36   #14998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Completely agree with that. Electronic products may have a bad apple from the assembly line, and probably I got that one. If the issue is identified and fixed without many follow-ups I am happy.

In Samsung’s case, I was not entirely happy with the service initially because they were not willing to give me an estimated schedule for the fix. A bit of noise was enough to get a change in attitude; the phone was taken in on Saturday 6pm, and I got a call/sms on Monday evening saying that the phone is ready for collection. That’s decent turnaround time in my books.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:49   #14999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Completely agree with that. Electronic products may have a bad apple from the assembly line, and probably I got that one. If the issue is identified and fixed without many follow-ups I am happy.

In Samsung’s case, I was not entirely happy with the service initially because they were not willing to give me an estimated schedule for the fix. A bit of noise was enough to get a change in attitude; the phone was taken in on Saturday 6pm, and I got a call/sms on Monday evening saying that the phone is ready for collection. That’s decent turnaround time in my books.
Yes its a very decent turnaround time. And I think replacement is better fix than repair.

@sprucegoose Samsung and LG have pretty decent QC and also service setup (at least in India). The worst among the biggies when it comes to service is actually Sony and HTC :( Generally speaking Samsung has mastered the art of volume production (as Samsung is like VW, lot of phones share same/similar parts, same plastic etc) so the QC issues with Samsung products are relatively rare. HTC and Sony on the other hand use complicated manufacturing process, keep reinventing (read experiementing with new materials, processes etc) so there are more QC problems with these two.
Old 15th May 2013, 15:51   #15000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

Yes its a very decent turnaround time. And I think replacement is better fix than repair.

@sprucegoose Samsung and LG have pretty decent QC and also service setup (at least in India). The worst among the biggies when it comes to service is actually Sony and HTC :( Generally speaking Samsung has mastered the art of volume production (as Samsung is like VW, lot of phones share same/similar parts, same plastic etc) so the QC issues with Samsung products are relatively rare. HTC and Sony on the other hand use complicated manufacturing process, keep reinventing (read experiementing with new materials, processes etc) so there are more QC problems with these two.
No bro, HTC QC is far better than Samsung. They've been using the same materials on their phones for sometime now. Sony I don't know about, but I've not yet met someone who has a hardware problem with his phone. I got a Sony XZ... Build quality is insane... Let's see how long it lasts.

Agreed HTC and Sony don't have good customer service in India. Samsung has got that down pat.

But as for quality control, Samsung have well documented issues. They might have eased up post the SGS2 but their QC is not as good as HTC

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks