Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2013, 13:50   #15091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Galaxy Grand Rooting Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I might be wrong but Jelly Bean onwards you cannot move apps to SD card. Only media (music, movies, pictures etc) can be there on the card.
Apps and all app data need to be in the phone's internal memory only.
Aha. I see. After getting shocked by your statement, I googled a bit on possibility of moving Apps to SD on JB and found something very much disturbing. So you are indeed correct that JB onwards the Apps cannot be moved to SD Card. My wife's Galaxy Ace with GB works like a charm while moving apps to SD.

So now Google is playing dirty monopoly in the phone business, just to sell its Nexus, which doesn't have an external storage option. God Bless Nexus owners.

I didn't want to ask this (because I love the default Samsung+JB interface), but would you be able to tell me if using a Custom ROM would solve this problem ?
If yes, any pointers on a Good Custom ROM for Galaxy Grand ?

P.S: Below is the quote of one of the comments from THIS website:
Quote:
Agree that moving apps 2 sd is useful, but for some reason Samsung haven't activated it via its JB firmware.
Of course the firmware comes from Google, who have made a point of not having sd cards in their Nexus models, but want people to use their cloud storage.
Old 20th May 2013, 13:55   #15092
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
S4 it is!

We bought the S4 for my wife yesterday @ 38,500/- for 16 GB.

The Croma official price was 40, 500, but billing lady made a mistake. I had 11 gift vouchers of 1k each from my company. She scanned only 9 of 11 and printed a bill of 38,500. But in the meantime, her assistant had stamped all vouchers as Used. So they returned 2k cash.
So effectively the phone costed you 29500? Thats amazing man. I am jealous. Anymore such coupons lying around?

Meanwhile Flipkart has 5% off on all electronics today. So effectively the S4 would cost around 38k. Tempted to buy the phone via the COD route. How much will the phone be in shops BTW? I am guessing the local shops would also give the phone for around 38k right?
Old 20th May 2013, 14:15   #15093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
So now Google is playing dirty monopoly in the phone business, just to sell its Nexus, which doesn't have an external storage option. God Bless Nexus owners.
No, thats not how it is. Google does not have any monopoly in phone business (that would be Apple and Samsung). Google just provides an OS (that too for free) that has helped Samsung catapult into one of the most powerful and profit making corporations on earth. Ironically there are analysts out there who maintain that Android has been a losing proposition for Google! They have invested more than $12 Billion into it so far (accounting for Motorola acquisition also) but havent made that much money out of it or anywhere near it. Any wonder Andy Rubin was ousted from Android project (money talks and he couldn't make enough for Google!) Google has simply offered the smartphone kingdom to Samsung on a plate!!! Now Google's biggest headache is to counter losing their revenues from services as various android vendors start offering their own services (Amazon is doing it already and Samsung has also started).

Coming back to no SD cards in Nexus devices, Google has its reasons:

Quote:
Google still supports removable storage in Android, but it is leading by example and providing phones (and now a tablet) with one big block of storage that users can use for anything they like -- be it media, documents, or apps. There are a couple of side benefits to this approach as well. The first one is a bit geeky -- it allows the device to use ext file systems instead of a mix of ext and FAT. This is faster and safer -- both for the data on the device and the way it's handled, and access to our own personal data. A journalized file system means fewer file errors, and ext preserves file system permissions so random code can't find your pictures or documents folder.

Another benefit is that the host machine (when your device is connected to a computer) can't muck things up and molest the file system, as it doesn't have block-level access to the files. Instead, a proxy FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) file system is used to mount a psuedo-SD card folder so that your computer can read and write to it via MTP. This means you won't get errors from incorrectly unmounting your phone, and the device still has access to all the data even while plugged into a PC.
Heres the source: http://www.androidcentral.com/why-ne...ave-no-sd-card

Last edited by joslicx : 20th May 2013 at 14:22.
Old 20th May 2013, 14:41   #15094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So effectively the phone costed you 29500? Thats amazing man. I am jealous. Anymore such coupons lying around?

Meanwhile Flipkart has 5% off on all electronics today. So effectively the S4 would cost around 38k. Tempted to buy the phone via the COD route. How much will the phone be in shops BTW? I am guessing the local shops would also give the phone for around 38k right?

Our company has a policy of giving performance awards in the form of coupons and I had recently won 3 awards. So the total value of the those awards was about 11k. So made good use of those coupons. We have list of about 25-30 vendors across India and we can choose whose coupons we want to redeem, so I chose Croma.

I am not sure whats the market price of the phone, since we HAD to go to Croma to utilize the coupons.

Edit: On connecting the S4 to Kies for the first time, I got firmware update message. It mentions about performance improvement for the S4.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 20th May 2013 at 15:01.
Old 20th May 2013, 15:30   #15095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, thats not how it is....Google has simply offered the smartphone kingdom to Samsung on a plate!!!
That definitely is true, that Google has placed its Android on a plate and served Samsung to use and abuse it.

Quote:
Coming back to no SD cards in Nexus devices, Google has its reasons:
Heres the source: http://www.androidcentral.com/why-ne...ave-no-sd-card
This website explains well why Google is moving away from SD things. Good read. But isn't it a time when Google lets users to choose what they want and how they want ? I know restricting users to system files is a good and safer way of avoiding user troubles. But at the same time, it could make its OS an "actual" openSource, where an advanced user can do what he/she like to do with it.
Nobody would come and blame Android if they mess up their phones. So Google and Phone Manufacturers should feel relaxed while offering an opensource OS. Things at this moment (to me) looks like moving in the Apple way. I won't be surprised if one day, we couldn't simply copy paste media files into our phone, but have to start using some stupid app (like iTunes) to copy media.
Old 20th May 2013, 21:18   #15096
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think moving apps to SD card is restricted in the OS. Rather it's a restriction imposed by Samsung. I'm using the AOSP build of 4.1.2 on my Neo V and it allows moving apps to SD card. So it's definitely not the OS that's culprit here.
Old 20th May 2013, 22:06   #15097
Distinguished - BHPian

A strange thing is happening since yesterday, every few minutes, the Google play music app is switching on all by itself. I've switched it off atleast 10 times since yesterday but still it crops up. Anyone having similar issues? I'm on Samsung Galaxy S2 running stock JB 4.1.2.
Old 21st May 2013, 09:03   #15098
Senior - BHPian

So I decided to write my own app. Actually I wrote it about a month back, and bought my galaxy S2 once my proof of concept was a success. In other words, I won't own an android without this functionality. Then I figured I could publish it on market so others could benefit from it as well. Hopefully the next version will have most of the parameters customizable, if I get time to work on it. For me it's easier to just go in code and change them per my needs. Creating user interface takes most of my time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y2k.vcustomize

here is the command list for a quick reference. I am in process of making a demo video because the app is not intuitive. In fact it's not perfect because android would not allow keypress access from background service. I have to have an app running in foreground, which is why I use proximity sensor to detect when to bring it up.

Quote:
Command list:
Volume up:
1 Single click: Speak directory names. While it's speaking the names
I. Single Click again to select the name, the phone will automatically call the contact.
II. Long press to cancel the command.
2. Double Click: Speaks the current time.
3. Long press: Toggle flashlight on or off.

Volume down:
1. Single Click: Read voice memos in reverse order (Last memo first). While it's reading memos
I. Single click to skip to next memo.
II. Long press to exit the voice memos.
2. Long press: Record a 10 second voice memo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
anybody know of an app that lets you map a button to call a contact?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Do you mean a hardware button? Why would you do that? You can use direct call widget on your home screen for quick calling.
Old 21st May 2013, 11:12   #15099
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think moving apps to SD card is restricted in the OS. Rather it's a restriction imposed by Samsung. I'm using the AOSP build of 4.1.2 on my Neo V and it allows moving apps to SD card. So it's definitely not the OS that's culprit here.
In my HTC Desire SV there is an internal storage & a phone storage (essentially the phone storage has been split into 2 pieces - wonder why?) and then there is an SD card.

I can move the apps between internal & phone storage but not to SD card. Even the Apps2SD only move between these 2. Facing severe shortage of space due to apps that I would like to download.

Any suggestions.
Old 21st May 2013, 11:37   #15100
BHPian

Quote:

My wife's Galaxy Ace with GB works like a charm while moving apps to SD.

Which GB ROM are you using ? Even my wife uses Galaxy ace and she often complains about low internal memory and sluggish performance.

Can you share the link ?
Old 21st May 2013, 11:49   #15101
Senior - BHPian

on a side note, I tried out the HTC One today. FAR more impressive and awesome than the S4, but closer to 800$ - what is HTC smoking?!!

The screen is great. Not as punchy as the S4 (i saw them both a aweek apart)
The speakers are so awesome you can watch a regular movie with very decent sound.
The camera is definitely better than the S4 (used only in store, low light photos of people - zoomed in to see detail on eyebrows/beard)
There is ABSOLUTELY no LAG on this device. Maybe Im gushing but it felt a tad faster than the S4 (which is itself an awesome beast).
I like the sense here, rather than the plain vanilla Touchwiz.
The aluminium body construction is drool worthy.

For those going for the S4 - you would be REALLY stupid to not consider this phone.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:00   #15102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxy View Post
i was thinking of atleast buying PowerAmp Music Player via gift card, have heard a lot about this player.
Hi Jaxy. PowerAmp music player is a good one, I've read in may places too. But is this available in the Samsung App store? I searched but wasn't able to find it.

Can you help, if the player is indeed available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
on a side note, I tried out the HTC One today. FAR more impressive and awesome than the S4, but closer to 800$ - what is HTC smoking?!!

The speakers are so awesome you can watch a regular movie with very decent sound.
The camera is definitely better than the S4 (used only in store, low light photos of people - zoomed in to see detail on eyebrows/beard)
There is ABSOLUTELY no LAG on this device. Maybe Im gushing but it felt a tad faster than the S4 (which is itself an awesome beast).

For those going for the S4 - you would be REALLY stupid to not consider this phone.
Well, take it easy with your comments. In India, HTC officially launched the HTC One somewhere around 9th April 2013 claiming phones will be available by end of April 2013. They STILL don't have even demo pieces in any of the leading mobile retailers stores. One cannot wait forever for a phone, even it is it made with materials of the moon rock.

In India, Samsung launched the Galaxy S4 on the 26th of April and people have been buying the phone since the last 3 weeks. Whose stupid and whose the loser?

It would mean something to beat the strategy of a company as dumb as HTC. The people considering and buying Samsung aren't stupid. And the HTC One camera is not better than the Galaxy S4 camera (HTC One camera excels 'only' in low light). Reason why I went for S4. Go read some credible reviews sir.

Last edited by k_ajay : 21st May 2013 at 12:23. Reason: Adding response to post #15101
Old 21st May 2013, 12:27   #15103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That brings some relief. Do you have any reads (links/document) which could help me identify what developer options needs to be set in the phone and how the grand can be rooted. I am very much sure that rooting would enable the apps2sd functionality. But the rooting itself is failing.
Incase even after rooting, the apps2sd thing doesn't work, then I would have to believe that it is a JB OS limitation.
Any pointers to good custom ROM which could eliminate the apps2sd problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Which GB ROM are you using ? Even my wife uses Galaxy ace and she often complains about low internal memory and sluggish performance.
Can you share the link ?
Oops, sorry mate. My statement was not complete. My wife is using Samsung stock GB ROM (factory installed).
The performance would be definitely sluggish compared to our phones. Its just 256MB of RAM, which is 1/4th of what our phones have now-a-days. She can keep killing running apps using the Advanced Task Killer, but they crop up. I have not googled for any Custom ROMs'. May be its time, I check out custom ROMs' for the Ace.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:33   #15104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Go read some credible reviews sir.
Please don't be personal with your remarks. You bought S4 and good for you. No need to feel hurt. But the world over, all 'actual' experts do actually find the HTC One to be a better overall product in comparison.

And hey, just don't give too much thought to these comparos. They will come and go and 3 months down the line there will be a even better product than both the One and the S4. That's today's tech life.

So go out and enjoy your S4... Cheers.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:34   #15105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Yes, its a great device.
Tried out both One & S4 side by side.
The low light images are far better on HTC One, but the outdoor shots felt over exposed and S4 better in that part.
Probably a software update may fix it

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 21st May 2013 at 12:35.

Most Viewed