Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 18:38   #15181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

So after more than 4 years of using BBs, time has come for me to finally discard them and get with the times.

Will be getting my hands on a silver htc one and as a 100% Android noob, what would be the things i would need to look out for?

Any must have apps?

Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 18:54   #15182
Senior - BHPian

Updated WIUI from 2.x to 3.x but lost Notes during the process. I backed up everything from logs to apps but missed out on backing up notes.

Any pointers on how I can retrieve it?

I had copied the entire SD card on the laptop but I reckon Notes is on phone memory.
Old 28th May 2013, 18:56   #15183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi Omar,

Yes, it heats up sometimes but not always (during heavy usage). Since I was migrated from Defy to Xperia I did see the heating issues less in SP.

The phone speakers are really really good while watching the movies. Though call quality is good, I noticed that the volume level during call is very low ( in non-speaker mode) though the volume is set on max position (thanks to Audio manger to handling sound levels)

According to me, the phone is really worth for every penny I spent (read as vfm).
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, heating is a big no for me. I love sony designs, but hate their durability. Will demo the phone one last time before finalizing my new phone! Choosing a phone is tougher than I thought!
Old 28th May 2013, 19:37   #15184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So after more than 4 years of using BBs, time has come for me to finally discard them and get with the times.

Will be getting my hands on a silver htc one and as a 100% Android noob, what would be the things i would need to look out for?

Any must have apps?

Thanks
Oh how the mighty have fallen!

I'd suggest you play around with the phone for a few days. Once you get used to the Android system, you can start installing apps etc.

You got your contacts moved across? If you are having trouble with that, check out the ABC Amber vCard Converter.
Old 28th May 2013, 19:55   #15185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
How does this "free" thingy work? If you download it today, it you acquire a license for free? Or its only this version thats free to download?
no clue. apparently this is a beta version of tapatalk 4 that is both tablet and phone friendly.
Old 28th May 2013, 20:55   #15186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mid price phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Looks like an excellent unit. One quickie - how easy / difficult is the unit t root and the roadmap for it. Please PM / email me. Only we are going out on the 4th for two weeks, so I may try to get it on our return, or look for it in Manipal / Udupi.

Only it is not a major brand!
This is basically Lava's "premium" android brand.

XDA has done rooting. Roadmap of mods, no idea
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2200343
http://skytech101.blogspot.com/2013/...covery-on.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2247786

like i said, PM zenx for more details!
Old 28th May 2013, 21:50   #15187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, heating is a big no for me. I love sony designs, but hate their durability. Will demo the phone one last time before finalizing my new phone! Choosing a phone is tougher than I thought!
Do you have specific experiences regarding non-durability of Sony phones? Asking because I'm considering a Sony model as a replacement to my existing phone.
Old 28th May 2013, 23:13   #15188
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have specific experiences regarding non-durability of Sony phones? Asking because I'm considering a Sony model as a replacement to my existing phone.
Which phone are you looking to purchase? Friend has a Z and while it is a great looking phone, it overheats too often, the camera isn't as good as the s3, the display is also a bit washed out IMO.
Old 29th May 2013, 00:05   #15189
BHPian

Quote:

If Sony - You can consider the Xperia ZL, no heating issues, same hardware as Z.
Old 29th May 2013, 00:33   #15190
BHPian

Quote:

By non-durability do you mean construction or build quality? If yes rest assured that Sony are well built. I have used K700i, P1i and using xperia pro. All solidly built. However IMO their C series phones were not upto their standard like half baked products.
I am also considering Z or SP or coming ZR. Not decided yet.
SONY has wierd logic with respect to Document Editor, they give it to mobiles only with qwerty keyboard. That was ok till few years back, but it still exists. My xperia pro, a midrange handset has it because it has qwerty physical keyboard while high end xperias do not have it. Come on Sony grow up and shed outdated logic.
Old 29th May 2013, 03:48   #15191
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everybody, for the responses.

Was considering the Xperia P... but only tentatively. Then the offer for S3 was very tempting, but I resisted for now. A few weeks back, I rooted and made a lot of changes, including aggressively getting everything "Sony" out of my phone. The result has been startling. Wish I had the time to do it earlier. The phone now performs really fast, and nothing crashes. It seems Sony... and many/most other manufacturers just done bother about performance and usability when they cram the phone with so much garbage. My phone has relatively low gunk, but even that was making the phone irritating to use for someone who whats it do everything as fast as possible, or more. The ICS update esp. had introduced considerable lag. Why do these companies sabotage their phones so much?

Hence, I'm not sure I understand the logic behind your expectation of Sony to give you a doc editor on a Smartphone? Can't you install a solution for it according to your taste?

About durability, I mean overall - build quality and how long the phone lasts under heavy use over the years without something giving up.
Old 29th May 2013, 09:23   #15192
BHPian

Just got myself a Nexus 4. This is my second Android phone after a gap of about 1.5 years during which time I was using an iPhone 4S.

Immediately I can see Android has come a really really long way from my Motorola Defy which was a brilliant phone. Nexus 4 with its 2GB ram is lighting fast and the large screen is really good for videos and browsing. I so far can't find any major flaws with the phone. Just that the Wifi networks I've saved keeps saying not in range everytime I go out of range and come back. It doesn't refresh automatically, I have to toggle the Wifi Off and then turn it back ON. Hope Jelly Bean 4.3 which is expected June 10th sorts this issue out. That aside the best phone you can buy under 25k I think.

I do however miss having Airplay the most amongst other things. Which is the best app for Android to stream via Airplay on my Denon 1912 AVR? I don't mind paid apps as far as they do the job.
Old 29th May 2013, 09:27   #15193
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I have PMed him but will rather prefer one from the major brands, since the phone is for my wife and not my own use.
Old 29th May 2013, 09:38   #15194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have PMed him but will rather prefer one from the major brands, since the phone is for my wife and not my own use.
Ah yes, nothing but the best brand in the best color and the right colored case! My wife wasn't happy with the defy but has been thrilled with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Learned my lesson the hard way.
Old 29th May 2013, 09:48   #15195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friend has one. Says the camera is utter rubbish. Besides that no significant issues. This was while on GB.
Samsung phones are not known for their cameras, and Galaxy S Advance is no exception. Still, I wouln't call the camera as crappy.

I haven't used the camera much on the S Advance. I just took a test shot in the office during tea break. I clicked a portrait of my colleage and the photo looked decent to me. On zooming, we were even able to spot some grey hair on his head of black hair. He was not happy with the camera performance, since his grey hair were exposed in front of everyone.

Rohan

Most Viewed