Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:52   #15256
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Thanks Raccoon. I want a low budget, small screen phone. The other option I have is Sony Xperia E dual. I had made up my mind on the Sony. But the Samsung has 768mb RAM over Sony's 512mb. Even the price seemed quite reasonable. Flipkart offers the Samsung for 7,8xx. And the Samsung runs Jellybean 4.1.2.
But the Samsung touchwiz UI tends to bog down the thing.

You can go for the Xperia E single SIM to save some bucks, if you don't have much use for Dual SIM
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:17   #15257
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

at that price and for parents, i would suggest nokia 620 etc. Low end sammys/HTC androids aremostly laggy crappy pieces. (i own one - htc chacha! ).

just check if 620 now has the ability to increase/decrease font size for easier readaibility of text etc (610 originally didnt!!).
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:52   #15258
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
But the Samsung touchwiz UI tends to bog down the thing.

You can go for the Xperia E single SIM to save some bucks, if you don't have much use for Dual SIM
I need dual sim.

Only thing against Xperia is it has 512mb ram. I like the Xperia's design over Samsung. But, isn't 512mb too low for android? Of course, my mom will not be a power user like me. Gmail, whatsapp, facebook would be her reasons to switch to a smartphone.

And there are no plans to root etc .

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
at that price and for parents, i would suggest nokia 620 etc. Low end sammys/HTC androids aremostly laggy crappy pieces. (i own one - htc chacha! ).

just check if 620 now has the ability to increase/decrease font size for easier readaibility of text etc (610 originally didnt!!).
I have a personal bias against Microsoft phones .
The other reason I'd like to stick to android is because I can provide on-call support to my mom in case she messes with the phone. And such calls will be big in number in the beginning. Given my limited exposure to Windows phones, that would be difficult.
Little bit of laggy is fine. Like I said, she won't be a poweruser. If at all she becoms one in future,which will take quite some time given the learning curve ahead of her, I'd get her a new phone.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:26   #15259
Distinguished - BHPian

URGENT Query: Guys want to know if Samsung galaxy S4 is available in a third shade of bluish black? I thought the phone was offered only in black and white. Is there a third blue shade available too?

Also found a link stating the same here: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/05...-s4-new-color/

Is this blue shade similar to the S3 ( I think there was a bluish shade available in that too).

Last edited by drmohitg : 3rd June 2013 at 11:27.
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:16   #15260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Is this blue shade similar to the S3 ( I think there was a bluish shade available in that too).
S3 has been available internationally in over 5 colors - White, Black, Blue, Red and Grey.

The Blue color that you refer to is the Blue Arctic color on the S3 and yes it has been made available on the S4 since the second week of May!
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:50   #15261
BHPian

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. Though I am myself a Nexus 4 user, I would any day suggest a Lumia 520/620 over an Android phone on that range. For all the basic smart phone functions, Windows phones are simply great - fast, smooth and fluid.
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:59   #15262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. Though I am myself a Nexus 4 user, I would any day suggest a Lumia 520/620 over an Android phone on that range. For all the basic smart phone functions, Windows phones are simply great - fast, smooth and fluid.
...and may I add that the speed, fluidity and stability shall continue for the longest possible time. Unlike Android which gets sluggish with more apps or after some time.
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:26   #15263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys!!

I need dual sim.

Only thing against Xperia is it has 512mb ram. I like the Xperia's design over Samsung. But, isn't 512mb too low for android? Of course, my mom will not be a power user like me. Gmail, whatsapp, facebook would be her reasons to switch to a smartphone.

And there are no plans to root etc .

What about Micromax and Lava/Xolos?
I am asking this because I need a phone for same purpose ...
Old 3rd June 2013, 22:49   #15264
BHPian

Quote:
Thinking of buying a Samsung Galaxy Young Duos S6312 for my mom. This will be her first smartphone . She says she wants a smaller screen like 3.5" and a compact phone. Good choice? Any better options?
Get her a Lumia 520. Mark my words-she'll be happy.
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:31   #15265
BANNED

+1 for the Lumia
Dad is thinking of replacing his old 5800 XpressMusic and mainly wants a glitch free experience. Lumia is the only recommendation from me, even though he is well versed with smartphones.
Only question is 520, 620,720 or 820?

He is looking for something handy, so probably 620.

An interesting thing I noticed, the 520 and the 5800 XpressMusic have the exact same battery. Even though one of them is clearly 4 years older.
Old 4th June 2013, 08:07   #15266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
+1 for the Lumia
Dad is thinking of replacing his old 5800 XpressMusic and mainly wants a glitch free experience. Lumia is the only recommendation from me, even though he is well versed with smartphones.
Only question is 520, 620,720 or 820?

He is looking for something handy, so probably 620.

An interesting thing I noticed, the 520 and the 5800 XpressMusic have the exact same battery. Even though one of them is clearly 4 years older.
Please check on elder friendly features - the 610 could not set a larger font for the SMS. These have now been fixed but you should be doubly sure.
Old 4th June 2013, 08:59   #15267
BANNED

Quote:

Please check on elder friendly features - the 610 could not set a larger font for the SMS. These have now been fixed but you should be doubly sure.
Was such a feature available on other WP handsets?
Of course, would check for a thorough demo before paying up.
Old 4th June 2013, 11:09   #15268
BHPian

Got official 4.2.1 update for MMX A116. It has transformed the phone. Display is super vivid and camera has improved a lot. Also future MMX updates might be OTA.
Old 4th June 2013, 11:26   #15269
BHPian

^ Akshay from where did you get the update done?? I am also having the same model.
Old 4th June 2013, 11:50   #15270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
...and may I add that the speed, fluidity and stability shall continue for the longest possible time. Unlike Android which gets sluggish with more apps or after some time.
Quote:
Get her a Lumia 520. Mark my words-she'll be happy.
Thanks for the replies guys.

I went ahead and bought a Samsung Galaxy Young S6312 for Rs.7,700. The phone had to be a dual sim phone. So, didn't even consider windows.

First impressions - it is a very average phone, considering that I use a Galaxy S2 with Supernexus ROM.

Will post a detailed review soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What about Micromax and Lava/Xolos?
I am asking this because I need a phone for same purpose ...
No, micromax or xolo were not considered. The only other contender for me was Sony Xperia E dual. The Samsung won just because it had higher RAM of 768MB over Xperia's 512MB.

Most Viewed