Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2013, 05:42   #15331
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Looking to buy an Android smartphone within 10K. Lower the better.

What I need is a Big screen and decent performance. The two options that seem good are Lava Iris 458Q (VFM) & Xolo Q700 (Good battery, 1 GB ram). Need some suggestions before putting money on these brands.

I have heard that GPS cant get a lock in these budget smartphones. Is it true. If so, that are my options.
Quote:
Well the specs are similar to Lava 458Q except the processor is dual core & not quadcore. Even the Camera is 5MP where as Lava gives 8MP.
And then it is 2.5K more expensive.

Infact Lava iris 458q has very good specs atleast on paper.

1. 1.2 Ghz Quadcore
2. 4.5" display
3. 8 MP camera
4. JB 4.2

Anyone has any experience with it?
I have a S3, and a friend bought this. Have played with it extensively and other than a slight screen visibility [forget the difference in resolution] issue in bright sunlight, I think the Huawei does everything the S3 does at the same speed.

Never done any gaming though. I'm talking about day to day stuff of calls, messages, browsing, mails, camera, dropbox and routine apps.
Old 9th June 2013, 06:26   #15332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
I have a S3, and a friend bought this. Have played with it extensively and other than a slight screen visibility [forget the difference in resolution] issue in bright sunlight, I think the Huawei does everything the S3 does at the same speed.

Never done any gaming though. I'm talking about day to day stuff of calls, messages, browsing, mails, camera, dropbox and routine apps.
Which model of Huawei are you talking about? Link?
Old 9th June 2013, 09:55   #15333
BHPian

From yesterday Im facing an issue with my Galaxy Note 1 running on JellyBean.

While using whatsapp suddenly the text became all black boxes. This went away after stopping all apps in task manager.

I had placed the phone on charge and gone out. When I returmed after a few hours expected it to be 100% but saw that the screen kept turning on and off showing charging and discharging. I switched off the phone after disconnecting it from charger and then it kept switching on and off showing battery logo. It wouldnt even start.

Waited for sometime and it started once more. And then the phone just kept showimg charging and dischargimg. Left it like that the whole night and battery discharged completely.

Fired it up again aftsr charging for sometime in the morning. Directly it showed 55% battery charge which was ridiculous as I had just put it on charge ten minutes back. No way could it charge so fast.

What couldve gone wrong?

I even ran AVG antivirus and it says there is no threats.

Please advise.
Old 9th June 2013, 10:13   #15334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
512 mb ram on jb 4.2, that is a little too less. Try 1GB at least. No problems otherwise, at least on paper.
Thanks.
Then probably I would consider the Xolo Q700. It casts 1.2K more and has a lower 5MP camera. But it does have a 1 GB ram a bigger battery.

But the question is what about GPS issues in these budget phones. I dont want to spend 9K and find out GPS is not working.
Old 9th June 2013, 10:14   #15335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
From yesterday Im facing an issue with my Galaxy Note 1 running on JellyBean.

While using whatsapp suddenly the text became all black boxes. This went away after stopping all apps in task manager.

I had placed the phone on charge and gone out. When I returmed after a few hours expected it to be 100% but saw that the screen kept turning on and off showing charging and discharging. I switched off the phone after disconnecting it from charger and then it kept switching on and off showing battery logo. It wouldnt even start.

Waited for sometime and it started once more. And then the phone just kept showimg charging and dischargimg. Left it like that the whole night and battery discharged completely.

Fired it up again aftsr charging for sometime in the morning. Directly it showed 55% battery charge which was ridiculous as I had just put it on charge ten minutes back. No way could it charge so fast.

What couldve gone wrong?

I even ran AVG antivirus and it says there is no threats.

Please advise.
The Whatsapp thing is I think a random app bug or something.
The charging thing is a damaged micro-usb port. This has been well documented in some phones. This happens when the small nub in the USB port gets slightly bent and touches the bottom of the port, which causes this problem. You can search it on Google.
One solution is taking a toothpick and just slightly nudging the nub upwards. Or you could go to the Samsung service center and get the port replaced.
Old 9th June 2013, 10:18   #15336
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Am thinking of finally going in for an Android phone. Don't want to spend too much - 10 to 12K max so was considering the Micromax. Most importantly, I need Google (or some other good one) maps as I am rather disillusioned with my MMI GPS. Must also have a compass. Does anyone have any opinions on the above phone? I noticed some people complaining in previous posts about not getting good GPS fixes on the Micromax. Please advise.
As mentioned in the last post by oxyzen, I don't want to spend 10k and then find the GPS is not working properly.

Regards,
SS
Old 9th June 2013, 10:25   #15337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post

The Whatsapp thing is I think a random app bug or something.
The charging thing is a damaged micro-usb port. This has been well documented in some phones. This happens when the small nub in the USB port gets slightly bent and touches the bottom of the port, which causes this problem. You can search it on Google.
One solution is taking a toothpick and just slightly nudging the nub upwards. Or you could go to the Samsung service center and get the port replaced.
Thanks for the fast reply.

Unfortunately the solution didnt seem to work. Even after nudging the "nub" the battery showed charging discharging.

However, one thing I may have forgotten to point out is, when the charger is connected there is no similar problem. It shows charging constantly. So does it still indicate port damage?

And how is the battery so fast upto 52% in just 5 minutes from a complete discharge? This kinda points to a software issue??

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 9th June 2013 at 10:32.
Old 9th June 2013, 10:28   #15338
BHPian

My wife's Galaxy S Dous has become ultra slow in response to anything, let it be opening an app or swiping. I tried removing unwanted apps, tried memory cleaners, etc nothing gives a long term solution

Installing custom rom looks like the only way forward. I was not able to find many custom roms except KyleOpen Custom ROM.

Has anyone here tried this ?
Old 9th June 2013, 10:32   #15339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Am thinking of finally going in for an Android phone. Don't want to spend too much - 10 to 12K max so was considering the Micromax. Most importantly, I need Google (or some other good one) maps as I am rather disillusioned with my MMI GPS. Must also have a compass. Does anyone have any opinions on the above phone? I noticed some people complaining in previous posts about not getting good GPS fixes on the Micromax. Please advise.
As mentioned in the last post by oxyzen, I don't want to spend 10k and then find the GPS is not working properly.

Regards,
SS
Quote:
Well the specs are similar to Lava 458Q except the processor is dual core & not quadcore. Even the Camera is 5MP where as Lava gives 8MP.
And then it is 2.5K more expensive.

Infact Lava iris 458q has very good specs atleast on paper.

1. 1.2 Ghz Quadcore
2. 4.5" display
3. 8 MP camera
4. JB 4.2

Anyone has any experience with it?
If you guys did check out Q800 on ebaywith coupons it was available for 9700 a week back (i had posted the deals then). keep your eyes open!
Old 9th June 2013, 12:23   #15340
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the fast reply.

Unfortunately the solution didnt seem to work. Even after nudging the "nub" the battery showed charging discharging.
Did factory reset wipe data still the problem existed. Reflashed the rom. Still the issue exists. So will have to visit svc to fix this niggle. How good is the Samsung's svc in Bangalore? And will I have to leave my phone at the service centre?
Old 9th June 2013, 12:53   #15341
BHPian

Quote:
Looking to buy an Android smartphone within 10K. Lower the better.

What I need is a Big screen and decent performance. The two options that seem good are Lava Iris 458Q (VFM) & Xolo Q700 (Good battery, 1 GB ram). Need some suggestions before putting money on these brands.

I have heard that GPS cant get a lock in these budget smartphones. Is it true. If so, that are my options.
Not true, got a q800 to replace my mapmyindia and it works perfectly.both Google navigation as well as mapmyindia. Takes about g half a minute to get a lock plus the phone has compass and such sensors as well.
Old 9th June 2013, 13:40   #15342
Distinguished - BHPian

What was samsung thinking while designing the charger for the S4? The cable provided is too short. Would create a huge problem whenever you need to charge since you have to locate a plug point very close by. Thumbs down to the design team. Also didn't like the white colour accessories. They will look good with the white phone but look totally out of sync with a black coloured S4.
Old 9th June 2013, 13:50   #15343
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Which model of Huawei are you talking about? Link?
Huawei Ascend G510........

Last edited by kumar2007 : 9th June 2013 at 13:53.
Old 9th June 2013, 19:42   #15344
BHPian

Quote:
And how is the battery so fast upto 52% in just 5 minutes from a complete discharge? This kinda points to a software issue??
Your battery has conked off mate. Place the battery on a flat surface like glass table etc. and rotate it on it's axis. It will rotate like a top. A good battery will not rotate as it's surface is absolutely flat, but a bad one would have bloated body creating an axis in it's middle.

Solution is a new battery. Hope it helps.
Old 9th June 2013, 19:52   #15345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post

Your battery has conked off mate. Place the battery on a flat surface like glass table etc. and rotate it on it's axis. It will rotate like a top. A good battery will not rotate as it's surface is absolutely flat, but a bad one would have bloated body creating an axis in it's middle.

Solution is a new battery. Hope it helps.
Thanks for the tip. This is worrying. Will give it a try once I get home. If its the battery still its ok as it means I can just get a replacement without having to place my phone in the hands of technicians. Do we get these batteries at the mobile shops or does this also requure svc visit?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks