Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 10:19   #15481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The battery of my phone ( S2) has recently started losing juice a lot faster than it used to and discharges by the evening even with moderate usage. Since the phone is 2 year old now, I assume it has come to the end of its life and will probably have to buy a new one. Does it have anything to do with the android update? My phone is running on the official 4.1.2 version.
Na, I doubt its phone not battery. My other Samsung phone's battery is still running good after 3 years of usage.

Try, restoring the phone, or see if any app is eating up the battery or not.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:26   #15482
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^If its a Samsung app, I'd bet that it will be a lot more heavyweight than the leaner options. I'd consider getting rid of it and and using a 3rd party app. But you might want to check out the Samsung app before that.
No, its not at all heavy and in fact very battery friendly and the integration to "phone" is seamless as its not behaving as a different app but integrates to "Security Settings" in the phone. I am using it on my Note 2 and I have compared it with other apps for a test. Also, as its built into the ROM, probably it will be factory reset proof? I am not sure about this as I haven't tested this functionality
Old 20th June 2013, 10:35   #15483
Senior - BHPian

Does Gigabyte make Xolo phones?
Old 20th June 2013, 13:06   #15484
Senior - BHPian

What would be a good cover/case for Nexus 4?

I liked this one - http://www.flipkart.com/rock-e960-sf...uery=nexus%204 however this is yet to come in stock.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:35   #15485
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Finally taking the leap of moving from Android to BB. Going old school once LG is sold.

Was using the LG 4X for last 6 months. Super device, but sadly have to let go due to its size. Was not able to come to terms with the BIG size of the phone. Have listed it in classifieds if any droider bhpian can give it a new home .

Regards,
Old 20th June 2013, 16:35   #15486
BHPian

Google’s brick-and-mortar Android Nation Stores coming to India

Good News for all Android lovers ...
"Google’s brick-and-mortar Android Nation Stores coming to India: Report"

Google is looking at giving the Android sales numbers a boost with its plans to open its first brick-and-mortar store called Android Nation in India, according to a report on Economic Times. Google, in partnership with Spice Global is said to be seeking a location the size of 1,200 to 1,500 square feet in New Delhi’s popular Select Citywalk Mall to open the first store.
Google will use this store to promote its OS and sell a slew of Android devices from brands like Samsung, HTC, Sony and Asus among others. Customers will be able to check out the latest accessories and use the help of the in-store experts to download latest apps and software updates for their devices. Google’s partner Spice Global will also use this platform to promote its CoolPad range of smartphone and tablets.
This would be the third Android Nation store in the world, after Google inaugurated its first store at Jakarta in Indonesia in 2012. At present, Google has two such stores in Jakarta in partnership with Indonesian electronics retailer Erafone.
Interestingly, as we reported earlier this year, Apple having realized the importance of the Indian market is said to be planning to scale up its presence in the country by tripling the number of its exclusive stores to around 200 by 2015.

Source: http://www.bgr.in/news/google’...-india-report/

Last edited by Nicky : 20th June 2013 at 16:37.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:03   #15487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What would be a good cover/case for Nexus 4?

I liked this one - http://www.flipkart.com/rock-e960-sf...uery=nexus%204 however this is yet to come in stock.
I use the Rearth Ringke Fusion (transparent back) case [http://www.amazon.com/Google-Ringke-...ringke+fusion]. It's excellent - best part is that it is least intrusive. However the protection provided may not be great given that it is polycarbonate. So I use a dual layered combo case (with holster) for outings [http://www.amazon.com/Rubberized-LG-...e+for+nexus+4] which gives good protection.

I also have a spare one (actually ended up buying extra which I am now looking to sell ) the Rearth Ringke SF Matte Black soft feeling hard case [http://www.amazon.com/SF-Matte-Black...ringke+fusion]. That should also be good.

[http://www.amazon.com/SF-Matte-Black...ringke+fusion]
Old 20th June 2013, 18:19   #15488
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

New Android user - have a couple of questions. I have a HTC Desire X.

1. The home screen always shows "To see local weather, tap here to turn on Location Service" below the huge digital time display. I don't want to turn on Location Server, I don't want to see local weather. How do I get rid of this stupid message

2. How do I lock the keyboard manually - i.e. how do I get the "ring" to appear before it's time for it appear?
Old 20th June 2013, 18:36   #15489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

1. The home screen always shows "To see local weather, tap here to turn on Location Service" below the huge digital time display. I don't want to turn on Location Server, I don't want to see local weather. How do I get rid of this stupid message

2. How do I lock the keyboard manually - i.e. how do I get the "ring" to appear before it's time for it appear?
Dont have a HTC phone, but generally speaking -

1. There must be a weather widget on your home screen, remove it from there
2. Press the power button, that should lock the screen
Old 21st June 2013, 00:50   #15490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

in sense 3 (chacha) you had to delete that widget, add a slightly different one (clock with weather) which would have a bunch of locations in its settings. The preinstalled one never worked. You may have to try deleting and re-adding widgets

-- just went back to stock ROM hence did it yesterday morning only!!
Old 21st June 2013, 08:14   #15491
BHPian

Ringke Fusion Case for the Nexus 4 is probably the best compromise between aesthetics and protection. I have dropped the phone from 3 feet height at least thrice till now and not a scratch! And the transparent back looks great.
Old 21st June 2013, 09:03   #15492
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Dont have a HTC phone, but generally speaking -

1. There must be a weather widget on your home screen, remove it from there
The time widget was actually called "Weather Clock" - I removed that from the home screen and just a regular clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
2. Press the power button, that should lock the screen
Yes, that worked - makes the screen go blank.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:43   #15493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380
Yes please remote the battery. Also see that you dont touch the screen when TP update is running. Doing so has sent many CHDs back to service center. Also if I may suggest, try the 4.2.1 ROM for A919i Duo. It has better color reproduction than MMX stock 4.2.1. btw I have tried both.
Thanks for the revert.
As per your trials, which one is more stable ROM?
Also, there are reports stating the current version of MMX 4.2.1 ROM has some bugs, so ASC have stopped updating this
Old 21st June 2013, 13:40   #15494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is no need to remove the widget. You can simply tap the widget-> tap on add-> search for your city and you're done. You can also add multiple cities to know weather forecast if you travel to those places. No need for location etc...

It is a nice widget, bring it back
Old 21st June 2013, 15:06   #15495
BHPian

Guys,

Planning to pick up a Android phone in the budget of 15 K plus minus 1 K.
Looked at the following options

1. Xperia L
2. LG optimus L7 II
3. HTC Desire SV - over budget but somehow like'd the phone

No Samsung as most of their lower end android phones have known to give issues i.e. Grand, Qautro, S advance, S duos etc.
I do like S2 and S2 plus but they are way over budget.
As this phone is for my FIL, no budget brands like MMX, XOLO, are acceptable.

Kindly advice which off the 3 I should opt for and if, I have missed any good model.

And yes, usage will be calls, whatsapp, bit of Wi-fi, bit of 2g and a decent camera. Most importantly good battery back-up. L7 has a 2460 mah battery, sounds juicy but, not sure if it really has the juice in reality Dual sim is nt impt.

Cheers

Most Viewed