Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 16:33   #16036
gemi_kk

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys !! Need your inputs.

I am planning to upgrade (May not be the correct word !) from Iphone to Huawei Ascend mate.

Reasons:
- I know that, I need a tablet (7"/7.9"), but if i buy a tablet,i will have to carry two devices always. (Not 10" because it is not allowed in offices, malls etc. 7" could be tucked into pockets. )
- I need something bigger, a tablet like display, because i do lot of stuff on my phone (browsing, reading, videos) and this iphone's tiny <4" Display is not very comfortable.
- I dont see any other device with such humongous display. The other option that i have is Galaxy Mega 6.3, but i hate their specs & service levels.
- I do not want to spend 30-40K on mobiles. (Learned from Nokia N90: Huge investment gone waste.)

Queries:
- Heard that, Ascend mate comes with 1 GB ram (from Huawei) but some people are discussing about 2 GB ram in it. Never heard of it. Is it true?
- Is anyone using Ascend mate? may i expect any feedback from users?
- Some forums on net say, the phone is lagging, some say games are not working fine, some say that videos are not so crisp, etc. are they true?
- Will android lag on Quad core mobiles? i used it on galaxy S duos, but this phone has poor hardware, so cant blame OS for its lag.

Need your suggestions in the following areas.
- Currently planning to dispose off iphone and buy an ascend mate. (2 in 1) a.k.a Phablet. Is it a wise decision?
- Will android be as smooth as Iphone is ?
- Is my choice correct ? I know that service would be awful. but, dont have many choices either.
- Resale value. I am sure that there wont be any takers for my mate. For my iphone, i can expect ~10K.

I have mixed feelings when i think of buying a phablet. for the first time, i am unable to take a decision, so thought of asking for your inputs.

Old 16th August 2013, 17:10   #16037
Team-BHP Support

I use my nexus 4 phone to set up a wifi hub and connect my nexus 7 tab using that.

Always works flawlessly but today, the tab is getting into an endless "obtaining IP address" loop. It connects for 5 seconds, and then goes into the same loop again.

Solution ?

PS: restarting the tab hasn't helped.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:49   #16038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I use my nexus 4 phone to set up a wifi hub and connect my nexus 7 tab using that.

Always works flawlessly but today, the tab is getting into an endless "obtaining IP address" loop. It connects for 5 seconds, and then goes into the same loop again.

Solution ?

PS: restarting the tab hasn't helped.
Try 'forgetting' the Wi-Fi network on the tablet, and then reconnecting with the whole procedure. This does the trick usually.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:53   #16039
Senior - BHPian

Installed android 4.2.2 (slimrom) on my tab 2 7in and like the fact that it supports multiple logins. Now I can use my son's tablet without the fear of him accessing my facebook or emails. He has his own login.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:56   #16040
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Try 'forgetting' the Wi-Fi network on the tablet, and then reconnecting with the whole procedure. This does the trick usually.
That resolved it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
That resolved it. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
And the problem is back again !

Last edited by Eddy : 17th August 2013 at 10:12. Reason: Merged
Old 17th August 2013, 22:48   #16041
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Guys !! Need your inputs."

I am planning to upgrade (May not be the correct word !) from Iphone to Huawei Ascend mate.

Reasons:
- I know that, I need a tablet (7"/7.9"), but if i buy a tablet,i will have to carry two devices always. (Not 10" because it is not allowed in offices, malls etc. 7" could be tucked into pockets. )
- I need something bigger, a tablet like display, because i do lot of stuff on my phone (browsing, reading, videos) and this iphone's tiny <4" Display is not very comfortable.
- I dont see any other device with such humongous display. The other option that i have is Galaxy Mega 6.3, but i hate their specs & service levels.
- I do not want to spend 30-40K on mobiles. (Learned from Nokia N90: Huge investment gone waste.)

Queries:
- Heard that, Ascend mate comes with 1 GB ram (from Huawei) but some people are discussing about 2 GB ram in it. Never heard of it. Is it true?
- Is anyone using Ascend mate? may i expect any feedback from users?
- Some forums on net say, the phone is lagging, some say games are not working fine, some say that videos are not so crisp, etc. are they true?
- Will android lag on Quad core mobiles? i used it on galaxy S duos, but this phone has poor hardware, so cant blame OS for its lag.

Need your suggestions in the following areas.
- Currently planning to dispose off iphone and buy an ascend mate. (2 in 1) a.k.a Phablet. Is it a wise decision?
- Will android be as smooth as Iphone is ?
- Is my choice correct ? I know that service would be awful. but, dont have many choices either.
- Resale value. I am sure that there wont be any takers for my mate. For my iphone, i can expect ~10K.

I have mixed feelings when i think of buying a phablet. for the first time, i am unable to take a decision, so thought of asking for your inputs.
A quad core android with 2Gb Ram is almost butter smooth,at least out of the box and even with few regular apps on it. In the future and updates may bog it down a bit, but expect smooth sailing for at least a couple of yrs.

If you just want a big nice phone,I say get a Micromax canvas hd or something of the sort, about 10-12k 5inch, use it for a year, when it bogs down, upgrade it.
BTW,resale values are really bad for anything other than the flagship Android phones(and even those are worse than iPhone)
Android won't always be as smooth,simple reason,it does multitasking,iPhone only runs one app at a time and uses all the resources for one process.
If you want a fool proof slick phablet for a reasonably high price,nothing better than the Note II, anything larger is difficult to hold to your ear and use as a phone. It is a good size.
Note III is coming and will fight the Xperia ZU, so expect that to be over 40k
Another option could be Galaxy mega 5.8, for 20-21k, it is OK if you want better service in terms of a "Brand" but the Specs are a good deal less than the 6.3 and the user experience would also be.
Old 18th August 2013, 21:40   #16042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Guys !! Need your inputs.

Hi there,
If you are okay with a slightly smaller screen, (4.7 inch), I would strongly recommend the Nexus 4. Display quality is also an important factor, not only size. Especially coming from an iPhone, Nexus will let you experience Android like no other phone at that price point will. The screen is also fantastic. Vivid, beautiful colours. Best of all, it runs absolutely smooth. No lags even if you run many apps together. I am absolutely delighted with it and don't see myself using a non Nexus device. Best of all, you will be running the latest and greatest version of Android and will not be at the mercy of the manufacturer to push updates. At least check it out before you buy anything else.

If you can wait a couple of months more, Nexus 5 with expected 5 inch display and even more awesome specs should also be out towards the end of the year.

Last edited by Top-Gear : 18th August 2013 at 21:46.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:36   #16043
Senior - BHPian

I don't know where to post this, but I am guessing the Android thread is a better bet.

I'm running CM 10.1 on my S3 and am trying to connect to a hotspot on my Macbook Air. The connection works, but only partly. I'm not getting the so-called colored WIFI signal bar - it stays grey. This means I can send messages and browse, but I cannot check my emails or log on to Google Playstore.

The hotspot is setup with a WPA2 encryption since that is the only one available on the Air. If I chose to create a hotspot without the added security, then the connection between the phone and the Air seems to be working fine.

I don't understand what the problem is. I've tried removing and re-adding the hotspot on the phone - no good. I've tried switching off the switching on the hotspot from the Air - no good. Is it the Air that's not allowing full connectivity or is it the WPA2 settings on the S3?

Any clue what can be done here to fix this issue?
Old 19th August 2013, 12:19   #16044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Looks like this is a generic issue, probably software. Does it charge when switched off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
I encountered the exact same issue on my GNex today (charges only when phone is off) ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Well, in his case, it doesn't charge even while off. Latest update is the phone is with Samsung. Let's see what they do/say.
Thought I would update on the latest here. Samsung diagnosed mother board is gone! eBay seller also said the same when he took it to him (same city).

The USB port has been replaced and checked by a local shop as well as the seller. Doesn't work at all.

As a last resort, he got an external charger and once the battery is charged, phone works fine! Also bought an extra battery. Everything under 2k. Plans to work with this setup for a while and later upgrade maybe.

But I am still confused coz if the motherboard is gone, shouldn't the phone just die? Or maybe the USB <=> motherboard connector has gone bad. If so, can't that be replaced? And what caused it in the first place! AFAIK, he followed everything as on XDA threads.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:52   #16045
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
A quad core android with 2Gb Ram is almost butter smooth,at least out of the box and even with few regular apps on it. In the future and updates may bog it down a bit, but expect smooth sailing for at least a couple of yrs.

If you just want a big nice phone,I say get a Micromax canvas hd or something of the sort, about 10-12k 5inch, use it for a year, when it bogs down, upgrade it.

Note III is coming and will fight the Xperia ZU, so expect that to be over 40k
Another option could be Galaxy mega 5.8, for 20-21k
Thanks for your Inputs.
Quad core with 2 GB ram runs butter smooth, however with some exceptions. I have seen some quad cores lagging, however i havent used them long, so i prefer not to comment.

Note 2 is good, but scared of Samsung service and quality. I hate those Amoleds. The brightness levels are pathetic.
Mega is out as it has a dual core processor. We own a dual core android, and it lags like anything.

If samsung itself is out, then brands like Micromax, Onda, Xolo shouldnt be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Hi there,
If you are okay with a slightly smaller screen, (4.7 inch), I would strongly recommend the Nexus 4. Display quality is also an important factor, not only size. Especially coming from an iPhone, Nexus will let you experience Android like no other phone at that price point will.

At least check it out before you buy anything else.
Thanks Top Gear!!
I have tried Nexus. Undeniably, its a great phone. However, my requirements are weird. I hardly make 4-5 calls a day, each lasting 2 min (max).
I read lot of stuff on my mobile, do trading, read books, so the necessity for a bigger screen has grown over years. Tired of using 3.7 Inch scrren for doing all these stuff.

Update:
Saw Xperia Z Ultra yesterday @ reliance digital, It has a whopping 6.4 Inch Full HD Display, Awesome specs (2.2 Ghz snapdragon CPU with 16 core GPU) Has 4g LTE Water proof. Found it on Ebay at 39+ K. Could stretch the budget as it has almost everything, but the only doubt i have is on sony's reliability. Thier batteries dont last long. and i use my phones for ~4 years or so.

Ascend mate costs almost half of what Xperia costs + It has similar screen, but has 720P display. Not bad !
Ascend mate has a 16 core GPU, quad 1.5 Ghz in house K3V2 Processor. Not bad. It has a better 4050 MAh battery. I am pretty sure that Huawei products last long than those of Sony's / Samsung's. I might be wrong though.

So, Techinically, waiting for a month would push the prices of Xperia south wards. However it might not happen with respect to Ascend mate. Not too many Phablets are in "to be launched" list. so, Couldn't decide on what to buy.

Old 19th August 2013, 13:12   #16046
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys need urgent help. I need a free android app sing which i can stitch/merge multiple small video MP4 files.Also need to remove the original audio and put a background music. Please suggest some free apps that can do this . TIA
Old 19th August 2013, 15:11   #16047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys need urgent help. I need a free android app sing which i can stitch/merge multiple small video MP4 files.Also need to remove the original audio and put a background music. Please suggest some free apps that can do this . TIA
Try Magisto Video Editor & Maker.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:02   #16048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
If I chose to create a hotspot without the added security, then the connection between the phone and the Air seems to be working fine.
I had this issue, but the opposite. Connecting my GPRS on iPhone to Windows 7 laptop. If we select a security for our hotspot, then it wont work. We need to create a hotspot with no security to make this connection work. I read somewhere that this is how we need to create hotspots.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:59   #16049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I had this issue, but the opposite. Connecting my GPRS on iPhone to Windows 7 laptop. If we select a security for our hotspot, then it wont work. We need to create a hotspot with no security to make this connection work. I read somewhere that this is how we need to create hotspots.
But it doesn't make sense. Why would anyone want to create an "open" hotspot - unless you're in the confines of your home and/or you're sure that no one else but you will be accessing your connection.

I read somewhere that WEP security (or for that matter any other security standard) may work, but I want to be able to make a full connection with the WPA2 level of security.

If this is a known problem with the current Android OS, I am hoping the next iteration solves it.
Old 19th August 2013, 17:09   #16050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
If this is a known problem with the current Android OS, I am hoping the next iteration solves it.
Not sure whether it is Android specific. Because I faced the same issue with iOS.

Most Viewed