Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 17:27   #16141
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Hello Neil,

My advice is to do a complete factory reset. The solutions on the net are not robust enough to be suggested. I understand you lose data and apps but at least you have a working phone.
If you do choose the factory reset method please try to do it with the hardware keys rather than the built in reset in the OS.
Hey Sun'J,

I too was unable to find a proper fix for the issues so I checked on the internet for the hard reset option & strangely was unable to do the reset with the physical keys despite trying multiple times and checking the combination sequence from different sites. In the end I tried the OS option and it is working now. Thanks for all the help man.
Old 31st August 2013, 15:30   #16142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Just read that nexus 4 prices have been slashed by $100 in US and various other countries. Even at today's high $ rate the 16GB variant works out at around 17k with the new prices.

Thats a great deal.

But can we now order the phones on the internet from USA? I mean there are no customs hassles? I have seen some examples from USA for 19k on ebay. So there is no other issue in shipment?
Old 31st August 2013, 18:41   #16143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Just read that nexus 4 prices have been slashed by $100 in US and various other countries. Even at today's high $ rate the 16GB variant works out at around 17k with the new prices.

Thats a great deal.
Thanks. Ordered a Nexus 16GB through my sis in law in US. The google play store India does not show the phone, stating the model is not available here. They had to order from US through their card. Our International debit card could also not be used.
Old 1st September 2013, 09:34   #16144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post

Thanks. Ordered a Nexus 16GB through my sis in law in US. The google play store India does not show the phone, stating the model is not available here. They had to order from US through their card. Our International debit card could also not be used.
You've already said it, you're international card doesn't work, you'll have to pay them later or do a money transfer- even I got it from my relative in Jan!

Using the phone since then, personally I definitely vouch for it. It's butter smooth, no lag, crisp display and you can always have the latest android.

After 4.3, the battery life has definitely improved a lot. The only disappointing thing is- the camera is not soooo great and few features like Wi-Fi direct can't be used even if the hardware is there!!

Cheers and congratulations on your new phone. Welcome to the nexus family.
Old 1st September 2013, 12:13   #16145
Team-BHP Support

I use one, and the Nexus is a fantastic phone with a crappy camera. So if pics is not your priority, its much better than the Samsungs in a similar price range.
Old 1st September 2013, 12:45   #16146
Senior - BHPian

My personal observation is N4 camera is good enough if you are using it in proper lighting. It struggles in darker areas. Obviously its not in the league of Iphone or Sammy camera but except for the weak camera its an awesome phone. Really hoping they address this issue in N5.
Old 1st September 2013, 14:37   #16147
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using a samsung galaxy S2 for the last 2 years now. Bought it right after its launch and it has proven to be an excellent phone. Still working excellently. Now I have sort of got bored of it and thinking of changing it. The question is which phone to replace the S2? To be honest the spec sheet of S2 is amazing according to me and is more than sufficient for my usage.
S4: The feel is exactly the same as the S2. Samsung has proven to be very reliable for me till now so thats a plus point. The camera is another thing that would be an upgrade.

HTC ONE: Looks good. Features are more or less same as S4. But apprehensive about the brand.

Iphone 5: Been already a year since its launch. Not sure if I can live with it after getting used to Android. The lack of BT is a major put off. Has that problem been addressed? For instance it might not be able to connect to my car's ICE via BT right?

Anyother phone that I can consider?

I had ruled it out a couple of months back and decided to hang on the S2 for a little longer. But my dad suddenly expressed a desire to finally try his hand at a touchscreen phone and hence would pass the S2 on to him and get myself something new.

Last edited by drmohitg : 1st September 2013 at 14:40.
Old 1st September 2013, 19:36   #16148
BANNED

Quote:
Our International debit card could also not be used.
International Debit Cards are good only at ATMs abroad.
Old 1st September 2013, 19:49   #16149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Anyother phone that I can consider?
How about Nokia Lumia series? Windows 8 and a great camera experience?
Old 1st September 2013, 20:01   #16150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

How about Nokia Lumia series? Windows 8 and a great camera experience?
Is it worth spending that much on after the recent debacle of Nokia in our markets. Haven't seen anyone in my group of friends and colleague use a Nokia lumia. And then there is the question of windows vs Android.
Old 1st September 2013, 20:06   #16151
Senior - BHPian

Windows is probably the only mobile OS to offer true multitasking. Lumias aren't exactly in vogue, however they aren' bad too. My boss had a 920 and after accidentally writing it off she got another Lumia. Also I haven't yet come across any evidence that they are bad.
Old 1st September 2013, 20:54   #16152
Senior - BHPian

My SD card in S3 stopped working all of a sudden. Its not showing on my laptop either. Does anyone know whats the issue here and what would be the solution?
Old 1st September 2013, 21:02   #16153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
My SD card in S3 stopped working all of a sudden. Its not showing on my laptop either. Does anyone know whats the issue here and what would be the solution?
I doubt you can do anything to get it working.

There was a deal on snap deal for a Samsung 8gb class10 microsd card for 430/- with free shipping. Take a look.

MaSh
Old 1st September 2013, 21:19   #16154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Is it worth spending that much on after the recent debacle of Nokia in our markets. Haven't seen anyone in my group of friends and colleague use a Nokia lumia. And then there is the question of windows vs Android.
I would say the Lumia series is a good effort by Nokia. Definitely looking at it.
If you want to remain in Android, you may also want to look at Xperia series. Z/ZL/ZR etc.
Old 1st September 2013, 23:29   #16155
BHPian

Quote:

Actually, it doesn't have anything to do with your credit/debit card. Google, for reasons best known to them, doesn't sell the Nexus 4 in India. Hence it is not available in the India playstore. In fact, even on Google play's international site, as soon as one's location becomes apparent, one gets the message that it's not available in "your location". I had even tried buying on the international site through my BlackBerry (whose servers are not in India). That hoodwinked Google long enough to let me proceed up to the payment stage. But when I gave the details of my credit card issued in India, I got the same message!

Most Viewed